Chapter 6

Score!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When I arrive back to school the following Monday, the student body is chaotic in celebrating our win. Literally, like wild animals that got released from the zoo. It's nearly 8 in the morning, but the school is the most awake and alive I've ever seen it. As I'm walking to class, bunches of confetti is thrown right in my face, I got randomly lifted up from a guy on the wrestling team, and people even started handing me white envelopes with lucky money inside.

 

The entire day goes by on a similar note. We got shouted out on the morning announcements, and my whole class erupted into shrieks and cheer when my name is mentioned. I want to hide in embarassment, because I've never been recognized on a scale like this before. But I weirdly want it to keep happening. Especially if money gifts are involved.

 

When class ends, Aimee texts me to meet her at the front courtyard, the two of us spending some cute, quality time on the grass. The weather forecast is an ideal sunny with scattered clouds, and the breeze that accompanies the sky is absolutely supreme. With such a great day behind me, I happily agree.

 

"No way," I say, once I sit next to Aimee on the grass and she takes out a familiar plastic container. It has an iconic pink cover, with a line of cute cupcake icons bordering the entire container. This is Aimee's infamous dessert container, and she always packs this one specific baked good inside. "You made me the brownies!"

 

Not just any brownies. White chocolate brownies with pistachios - Aimee's speciality and my literal kryptonite.

 

"To celebrate your win! And also the fact that you were able to pull yourself together after that one incident. I was in the crowd almost in tears! I get your coach would be mad, but to bench you for an entire ing half?!"

 

"You cried?! Cause of me?" I repeat and take a mouthful of the brownie.

 

"Yes! I know how important this first game was to you!" Aimee supplies, and grabs her own brownie from her pink container. I pout, because my best friend is an actual angel. "But you should have seen Jungkook's dramatic piece at halftime. It was sooo climactic, like a scene in a movie or something. He looked like one of those action movie stars - what's that one guy's name... he's in all the Hollywood action movies. The Brock, The Shock, or something like that?"

 

"The Rock," I answer for her, and we share a giggle together. "I'm so sad I missed it. It was so sweet, I still can't believe that they would do that for me. They hardly even know me."

 

"Well, I guess that's the bond of teammates, right?" Aimee says, and I nod to agree. "Anyways, how has the dynamic been with them? When we went to that party, it seemed like they were really warming up to you - I'm jealous. Any improvement with Jungkook?"

 

"Not really," I answer. "I guess we had a pretty good heart-to-heart in the locker room, but that was because I wasn't in my soccer head. And also, that thing he did was kind of cute, I guess. Doubt that he would do that a week ago. Or scratch that, he probably would, because it's anything for a teammate to him."

 

"So both you and I can agree that he has a good heart then," Aimee says. "Regardless of the relationship between you guys, friend or teammate or not, he's a good guy."

 

"I guess you're right."

 

"I'm surprised you haven't pounced on any of them yet! Cute soccer player, and they're all sweethearts that stick up to bullying! That's like, really hot."

 

"Tell me about it," I answer back. Time with Aimee is time to spill all of my girly secrets, because I need an outlet to release my true thoughts, and Aimee eats up this like it's a meal. "You should see them with the sun is setting behind them during practice, and then they left their shirt up and wipe the sweat off their forehead.... girl."

 

"AHH!!" Aimee squeals like a child receiving a Christmas present. "Tell me the truth. Who has the best abs?"

 

"Hm...," I think, while I munch on a brownie. "Daesung is the one on a cut right now, so his no-rice, no-noodle diet is reaaally serving him well in that department. Jin looks good too; if it's one Daeun did right in life, it's him."

 

Aimee almost chokes on a pistacho, and from that, I nearly choke from seeing her struggle catch her breath.

 

"They're all pretty ripped though, especially on the diet Jungkook is pushing where we can't eat anything 'objectively unhealthy' - whatever the that means. But if I had to be completely honest," I say, once we've both gathered ourselves, "it would be Jungkook. I mean, he's been on this soccer ish since he was in diapers."

 

"Wowww," Aimee cooes. "Kind and ripped. Imagine scoring someone like that."

 

I lightly chuckle at my best friend mesmerizing Jungkook. "You're right by saying that - it'd only be in our imagination."

 

"Girl, whatever!" Aimee slaps my arm, and I scoff at her. "If you're not marrying another soccer player, I won't believe in anything anymore. I won't believe that water is wet, or the sky is blue, or that brownies are good for you - unless you marry another soccer player!"

 

"Good, because brownies are actually bad for you."

 

"Don't ever speak such an untruthful lie ever again," Aimee pouts and takes the last bite of her brownie. I want to laugh, and then I feel my phone buzz uncontrollably in my back pocket. This has to be our soccer team groupchat, because there would be no other reason for me to get a text message that's not from this or Aimee. My parents are old fashioned, and always want to call me instead (which I despise with a passion).

 

Coach Soo

EMERGENCY MEETING IN 15 EVERYON GET 2 TH LOKER RMS NOW. IF YOU DONT GET HERE UR OFF TH TEAM

 

Taehyung

i'm literally at the spa

Namjoon

I'm at tutoring.

Jin

I'm with my girlfriend, she'll freak if I just suddenly leave

Yoongi

I can't make it coach, sorry

 

Coach Soo

I DONT GIVE A WHEREVER YOU ARE !!!! GET HERE IN 15

 

"What the hell, there's like an emergency team meeting in fifteen," I say out loud, and Aimee has a bewildered look on her face.

 

"What do you think it could be? Hopefully, it's not too bad."

 

"I honestly have no clue. This just hit us all out of nowhere - today was such a good day for all of us. I wonder what happened," I say and put my phone back into my pocket. My mind races; being my pessimistic self, I'm quick to think of the absolute worst that could happen to our team. We're already cutting it close with the roster; if we are out on person, I think we have to forfeit the rest of the season! "Whatever it is, I'm sure it's super serious. I'm just going to get there early, maybe talk to Jungkook and Coach Soo about what happened."

 

"That sounds good. Let me know how it goes, kay?" Aimee, being the understanding friend she is, quickly packs up her container and whips her bookbag across her back.

 

"I will," I gather my things as well, and pull myself to my feet. "Call you later tonight?"

 

"9PM sharp or I think you'll want nothing to do with me forever," Aimee says from below me. "Love you mean it!"

 

"Love you too," I giggle as I start walking away. School is vacant by now, but some stragglers are still roaming about, probably waiting for their parents to pick them up. The walk to the locker room is longer than I thought; maybe the emptiness of campus adds to the length of the journey. The entire way there, I'm overwhelmed with anxiety and bad thoughts, and it honestly, could not be any further away - walk ing faster, Yerin!

 

I finally get to the familiar stone cold, gray locker room door and bust it wide open. "Hello?" I say out loud, in the case that someone else got the idea to arrive early like me. I don't get a response back - maybe they aren't overachievers like I thought.

 

"Helloooo?" I repeat again as I walk deeper into the locker room, just to confirm. Silence follows.

 

"NO, NO, JUNGKOOK! My decision is final, and nothing is going to change that, you leave me no choice!" Coach Soo's voice is boisterous and nearly crystal clear, even though his office is tucked the furthest down, near the showers. Jungkook is in trouble? Oooh, . This is juicy.

 

Wait, it's not juicy. What did he do, and what is his consequence? He better not be on probation or something; our team would be completely lost without him.

 

I creep closer to Coach Soo's office, making extra sure that my steps don't make any sound - though I'm pretty sure it would be practically silence compared to Coach Soo's monstrous volume. I quickly duck my head when I turn the corner, because his office has a giant window wall to wall, which is a little weird considering he's right across the showers (if you ask me).

 

I peep from below the glass window and am able to see Jungkook's body across from Coach Soo's from this angle. He's wearing a grey henley, which fits so well in his bicep area. Oh , I shouldn't be thinking about this. Oh , he's actually in trouble - I forgot. Oh , I should be paying attention to the conversation instead.

 

"Coach, this is ing ridiculous. I make one mistake and you think the best decision is to bench me for the next two games? How can I expect to go to college with two games missing from my record?! I'll be lucky if I even get one scholarship from a ty rural school in Andong!"

 

Holy . Jungkook's benched for the next two games?! How are we going to survive this? Our teamwork is going to go to absolute without him on the field. There's no way Coach Soo can expect for all of us to be on board with this. We're going to fight back - we've got to. We need Jungkook.

 

"Don't minimize this as just 'one mistake', Jungkook. You're lucky that Jinwoo guy didn't press charges - you could've been in jail, you're lucky you're out on the bench instead. And I don't appreciate you talking back and cursing at me, remember that you're just a high school student, boy."

 

Jinwoo?! Press charges?! JAIL?!

 

My head can't take all of this so quickly. But Jinwoo, I make it a mental note to practically embed that name into my brain. I'll need to refer back to it soon.

 

"A high school student that you're literally crushing the ing hopes and dreams of! You can't do this to me!"

 

"I'll do what I want to you! You know what, you're benched and you're forbidden to go to practice for the next two weeks. Raise your voice at me again, and I'll bump it up to four weeks."

 

"Coach," Jungkook now says in a lower tone, defeated. "Please, I'm sorry. It was a mistake, but you understand that I did this because I was standing up for my teammates. You know I'd do anything for them, Coach. I'd do anything for this team!"

 

"I know, I know that, Jungkook. But you got to see why my hands are tied here. So, someone talked bad about someone. That's normal, that's the reality. Every single time you guys are out on the field, I hear so many ty things getting thrown at you guys. But guess what? It's nothing new. But this case, you throw a punch at someone, give them a black eye, just because they made some mean poster about Yerin? You see how the difference where there's all these past incidents of negative comments happening to the rest of your teammates and you shrugged it off, but when it comes to her, you want to throw a fit?"

 

"That's where I'm getting frustrated, coach. You want to emphasize on the gender part of it - I was just looking after my teammate, boy or not."

 

"You want to tell me that's not everyone's first instinct? Because it'll be Principal Cho's. And the athletic school board's. They warned me of this from the very beginning - having special conditions. I'm not giving any exceptions to Yerin, because that's the rules we were told to follow. Rules are black and white. If they hear about this, it's a violation of rules in their handbook."

 

"Gahhh, why are rules so fuc-freaking stupid," Jungkook groans.

 

"Well, they're there for a reason. Rules are meant to be followed, just like how consequences should be in place to those that don't follow them."

 

"Coach, please. I'll do anything." Jungkook pleads.

 

"Once I've seen you learned your lesson of self control, then we'll talk. But for now, I'm adament in my decision. I don't want to see your on my field during practice for the next two weeks."

 

I hear Jungkook audibly scoff. Just then, I hear the locker room door obnoxiously open and slam into the brick wall behind it.

 

"I ING SKIPPED OUT ON A 100 DEGREE SAUNA FOR THIS!" Taehyung's voice calls out, and I roll my eyes. Of course he'd make a scene entering. I take advantage of my teammates' rambunctiousness and tiptoe on my knees away from Coach Soo's office. When I get back up, I quickly straighten my top and get rid of the wrinkles, but suddenly, my head starts feeling dizzy. That was one heavy conversation - it's a lot to take in, and I don't know how we're going to handle not seeing Jungkook at practice for two weeks.

 

I realize I have to pretend that I'm hearing it for the first time with Coach Soo announces it, so I put my little facade on and make my way towards Taehyung.

 

"Hey," I say once I've stepped right in front of Taehyung's way. I look at up and down at his interesting choice of apparel. Starting from the bottom, Taehyung's wearing what looks to be white house slippers, then he's donning a bathrobe where I pray with everything in me that he's wearing undergarments with, and then on his forehead is a frilly, pink headband. Oh, and he's also red all over in the face, which I kind of want to count as an accessory.

 

"Hey...", I repeat. "I dig the outfit."

 

Taehyung scoffs and rolls his eyes. "I just came from the spa - as soon as this 's over with, I'm coming right back. I already told the ahjumma at the front counter that she's not getting all these rental clothes back unless she lets me go back in, free of charge. This better be the biggest ing emergency I've ever heard. I've had this spa day scheduled for three weeks now!"

 

"Right...," I start. "It's probably very serious. I've never gotten a text like that from any coach, ever. Asking us drop everything and get to the school in fifteen minutes, that's kinda crazy."

 

"You're telling me. Where did you come from?"

 

"Oh, uh." I stammer. I quickly make up a lie to completely clear myself from hearing Coach Soo and Jungkook's conversation. "I was at Bobby's Burgers with a friend. Just a mile down, so I was able to get here quick."

 

"Wait, what?" Taehyung asks me. "You went to Bobby's Burgers?"

 

"Uh...," I start. Did I just get caught in the most stupid lie known to mankind, lying about eating a bulgogi burger? "Yea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter