Calendar

Objects of Love

"Jongwoon, c'mon, let's go home."

 

Kyuhyun chuckled when the black-haired man jumped in his seat. His friend spun around on a swivel chair to face him and smiled sheepishly.

 

"Give me a sec, Kyuhyun, let me save this file first…"

"Alright, I'll wait here then."

 

He sat down on the table and stared at his friend. Then, he frowned after seeing those chubby cheeks slowly heating up. Jongwoon had always been like this, blushing when he got attention. Kyuhyun couldn't help but pinch his friend's cheek, before chuckling when Jongwoon jumped in his seat again. He kept humming quietly while playing with the soft black hair and squishy cheek, waiting for his friend to finish his work; all the while Jongwoon blushed more and more.

 

"Alright… I'm done."

"Okay, let's go."

"Wait, one last thing!"

 

Jongwoon picked up his table calendar and drew a smiley face on today's date.

 

"A smiling cloud again? Did something good happen today?"

 

Jongwoon glanced at him for a second and looked away.

 

"Yes, something really good happened."

 

Although Kyuhyun didn't understand what happened, he still thought that Jongwoon's smile was really beautiful.

 

***********************************

 

Several days later…

 

 

"Kyuhyun, let's go home...?"

 

Kyuhyun looked up from his computer and smiled at his friend who had his bag on his shoulder ready to go home.

 

"Nah, you go home first. My work isn't done yet."

"I can wait for you!"

"No, Jongwoon, don't."

 

He stopped his friend before the man dragged a chair to his table.

 

"I'll go drinking with Changmin and Minho after this so don't wait for me."

"Oh… I see… What about tomorrow?"

"I can't. I have a plan with Ryeowook and Heechul hyung."

"Then… the day after tomorrow?"

"I make a promise with Hyukjae that I'll play games with him."

"I… see…"

 

Jongwoon smiled at him. For some reason, it wasn't as happy as he used to see.

 

"I'll go home now. Good bye Kyuhyun, don't overwork yourself!"

"Thanks!"

.

.

.

.

Kyuhyun walked past Jongwoon's table on his way out. Out of curiosity, he picked up the table calendar and frowned seeing what his friend drew on today's date.

 

 

A crying cloud.

 

 

Worried about his friend, he took his phone out to call Jongwoon but got a call from Changmin first.

 

 

And he completely forgot about the drawing after that.

 

***************************************

 

Four days later…

 

 

Ding-dong

 

 

"Who…? K-Kyuhyun!!?"

"Yo! Let's go to work together!"

 

Kyuhyun laughed at his friend's dumbfounded look. Normally, because they worked in a different department, they had a different starting time so they never went to work together.

 

"I have a meeting today so I have to leave early."

"Oh, I see… Let's go then!"

 

Jongwoon beamed at him and Kyuhyun felt like his world got a lot brighter.

.

.

.

"Jongwoon, are you alright? You seem… distracted?"

"I'm fine! It's just… it's a bit too crowded…"

"Yeah, it's been a while since I leave at this hour. I kinda forgot that the subway is always packed in the morning."

 

Kyuhyun sighed while making sure that he didn't squash his friend against the automatic doors. At first, they were standing just fine by the doors. Then, the subway arrived at a busy station and people flooded into the subway, pushing them against the doors. He used himself as a wall to protect his friend from the human wave, with his hands resting on the doors by each side of Jongwoon's face. He tilted his head in confusion at his friend who blushed like there is no tomorrow, but then chuckled after that.

 

"Did you remember that, Jongwoon?"

"H-Huh?"

"The day we first met, when we had an interview with the company and met on this subway?"

"Ah, yes, I remember it. You shielded me from people like what you did today."

"And you're blushing just like that day."

 

He chuckled fondly at his friend who blushed harder. That day, they met and found out that they had an interview at the same company, so they went to the company together. After the interview, they had lunch together before going their separate ways; only to meet again at an apartment while renting a room. Ever since then, they had been best friends and always went home together after work.

 

Kyuhyun smiled, "I can't believe it's already been four years…"

"Yeah, it's been four years since I…"

 

Jongwoon went quiet.

 

"Nothing."

 

Jongwoon smiled at him. For some reason, it seemed forced and unnatural to him. He wanted to see Jongwoon's genuine smile and he had just the perfect plan.

 

"Jongwoon, are you free this Saturday?"

"Yes. Why?"

"It's been a while since we eat out together. There's this newly open restaurant at the mall and I heard from Shindong that the food is great. Wanna go with me?"

"Wait… you mean… just the two of us…?"

"Yep, but I can call our friends at the office to join if you want."

 

Jongwoon shook his head so hard that Kyuhyun was afraid his friend might hurt his neck.

 

"No! Let's go, just the two of us!"

"Alright!"

 

Kyuhyun smiled happily. He finally got to see Jongwoon's genuine smile and it was the most beautiful smile he had ever seen.

.

.

.

.

While Kyuhyun was waiting for his friend to shut down the computer and go home together, he looked at the table calendar and smiled seeing today's drawing.

 

 

A smiling cloud with a rainbow and stars in the background.

 

***********************************

 

Although Kyuhyun didn't know what those drawings on Jongwoon's calendar meant, he always checked it out because it was cute.

 

"One whole week of a smiling cloud? What happened to you this week that made you so happy?"

"It's a secret!"

 

Jongwoon smiled at him while nuzzling his cheek against his palm, making him smile too. He brushed his thumb on the soft skin and pinched the squishy cheek while staring absentmindedly at his friend. Something that he couldn't quite put his finger on it stirred up in his chest as he saw Jongwoon enjoying his touch.

 

"I'm going to miss you so much… Jongwoon…"

"W-What? Why are you being sentimental all of the sudden?"

"Sigh, I have to go to the Japan branch for two weeks to set up a server for the new project. It'll definitely be the most boring two weeks in my life without you…"

"Two week!!?"

 

Kyuhyun flinched at his friend's sudden outburst. He was surprised because he had never seen his friend losing his composure like this before. In fact, Jongwoon looked so sad that it bothered him. He wanted to comfort his friend and removed that sad smile that didn't suit his friend. He cupped Jongwoon's face and touched their foreheads, looking deep into the dark orbs that he loved.

 

"Don't worry, Jongwoon, I'll call you every night while I'm away. You won't feel lonely at all and two weeks will pass even before you realize it."

 

He chuckled softly watching his friend slowly turning red. Jongwoon probably felt awkward and got flustered because of how close their faces were. Feeling bad for his friend, he pulled back to give some space to Jongwoon but his friend somehow seemed more disappointed than ever.

 

"It's not the same."

"Huh?"

Jongwoon pouted, "calling isn't the same as talking with you face to face. I'll feel lonely without you here with me, Kyuhyun."

 

Ba-dump

 

Jongwoon's pout, Jongwoon's puppy eyes, Jongwoon's voice, Jongwoon's small hand holding the cuff of his sleeve, everything about his friend was just so cute that his heart couldn't stop beating crazily.

 

 

His friend was so cute that he almost considered cancelling his trip to Japan.

 

 

"... Let's spend time together after work."

"Huh? Normally, you prefer staying home and playing games on Friday night, don't you?"

"Normally, yes, but I want to be with you before I have to go away."

 

Jongwoon's expression which was a mix between happy and shocked was really funny. His friend's moods changed all the time! Right now, determination was clear on that adorable pouting face.

 

"Kyuhyun, there is something I must tell you."

"What is it? You look so serious."

"The truth is… I… with you… I…"

 

His friend suddenly stopped speaking. Jongwoon looked down and sighed.

 

"... Nothing. When will you depart again?"

"The day after tomorrow, but tomorrow I might not be free because of all the preparation."

"Then…" Jongwoon chewed his bottom lip, "you're free tonight only, right? Are you sure you want to spend it with me rather than your friends?"

"What are you talking about? You're my important friend, Jongwoon. With that said, do you want to go see a movie or eat something?"

"Can we do both…?"

"Why not? Let's go!"

 

Kyuhyun got up from the table. He watched Jongwoon drawing a smiling cloud on his calendar and frowned.

 

 

The smiling cloud was also crying at the same time.

 

***********************************

 

He missed Jongwoon so much.

 

 

He missed Jongwoon all the time, starting from the first minute he landed in Haneda Airport to the moment he came back to Seoul. Yes, he already came back even though only ten days had passed. He managed to complete his task earlier than the expected date, all because he missed Jongwoon. At first, he thought that he should be fine with just video calling every night. Turned out his friend was right. It didn't feel the same as talking face to face. He missed Jongwoon's soft hair and squishy cheeks. That's why he planned to surprise his friend tonight. He called his friend but turned off the camera to keep his surprise visit a secret.

 

"Jongwoon, what are you doing now?"

"I'm still doing OT at the company."

"What? It's ten in the evening now but you're still there!!?"

"...I don't feel like going home yet."

"Sigh, don't overwork yourself, Jongwoon."

"I won't. I promise I'll go home before midnight."

 

Midnight. He still had time to drop by the company and surprised his friend. Kyuhyun quickly called a taxi and hopped into the car. He couldn't wait to see Jongwoon and hug the life out of his friend.

.

.

.

Kyuhyun sighed seeing that his friend was still staring at the computer by the time he arrived at the company. He quietly approached the black-haired man from behind and threw his arms around the lithe body while shouting excitedly.

 

"Jongwoon, I'm back! Did you miss me?"

"Ahhh! A ghost!!!"

 

Kyuhyun chuckled and hugged his friend tighter.

 

"No ghost is as handsome as me! It's me, Jongwoon."

"Eh? Kyuhyun…? But I thought you said you'll be away for two weeks?"

"I finished setting up earlier than the expected date so I quickly came back. So, did you miss you?"

 

He smiled when his friend turned around and hugged him back.

 

"Of course! I miss you so much… Kyuhyun…"

"I miss you too. Let's go home. I'm really tired and I bet you're tired too."

"Okay, let me shut down the computer first."

 

Kyuhyun hummed in response as he played with the chubby cheek that he missed so much. Glancing to the side, he saw the table calendar and got curious. He wanted to know what happened to his friend in the past ten days that he was away.

 

 

A gloomy and crying cloud was drawn on the whole two weeks in the calendar.

 

 

Kyuhyun frowned. How come Jongwoon's past ten days were all a bad day? Plus, his friend already drew something on the next four days. His friend couldn't have possibly known in advance that his days would be bad, right? If not, what did these drawings mea—

 

Something clicked in his head.

 

He picked up the calendar and flipped through the months.

 

The day he took Jongwoon out to go shopping together— a smiling cloud.

The day he took Jongwoon to his family house— a beaming cloud.

The day he went out with Changmin, Minho, and Ryeowook— a crying cloud.

The day he stayed at Hyukjae and Donghae's place— a crying cloud.

The day he stayed with Jongwoon all day— a very happy cloud.

 

...Could it be that the drawing on the calendar was related to him?

 

Kyuhyun kept the question to himself while placing the calendar back on the table without his friend's knowledge.

.

.

.

"Jongwoon?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I stay with you tonight?"

"Sure thi— WAIT WHAT!!?"

 

Ignoring his friend who was gasping dumbfounded, Kyuhyun dragged his luggage into Jongwoon's room and headed straight to the bedroom. Flopping down on the mattress, he tapped the space beside him and called his friend.

 

"C'mon Jongwoon. I need you for my good sleep."

"B-But I might bother you…"

"What are you talking about? You're not a bother and I can't live without you."

 

He kept a close eye on his friend's reaction. Great satisfaction spread over his chest seeing his friend's blushing cheeks. He suspected that Jongwoon might have a crush on him but he wanted to make sure first. That's why he came up with the sleeping over plan. Kyuhyun chuckled watching his cute friend lying down at the other end of bed, almost falling off the edge.

 

"Come closer within my reach, Jongwoon."

"But I'm fine with th— ah!!"

 

He pulled Jongwoon into his arms and hugged him from behind. Settling himself as a big spoon, Kyuhyun tightened his hold around the thin waist and whispered softly to the black-haired man.

 

"Sweet dreams, Jongwoon."

"S-Sweet dreams, Kyuhyun…"

.

.

.

The next day, Kyuhyun smirked devilishly after he saw that Jongwoon had erased the crying cloud on yesterday's date and the next four days in the calendar.

 

 

A blushing cloud was drawn on yesterday's date instead.

 

 

Oh no, what should he do? He might have developed a new bad habit…

 

********************************************

 

In the end, Kyuhyun did develop a new bad habit— teasing his friend and enjoying the ever-changing calendar drawing of each day.

.

.

.

.

"Jongwoon, I bought an iced latte for you."

"Thank you!"

 

He chuckled at his friend who took a big gulp of the drink and left a latte mustache above his lips.

 

"You got some latte on your lips."

"Really? Where?"

"Let me wipe it off for you."

 

He brushed his thumb on his friend's soft lips, intentionally taking time on the task. By the time he was done wiping Jongwoon's lips, his friend had turned into a lovely shade of dark pink and he liked it so much.

 

 

 

That day, the drawing on the calendar depicted a confused blushing cloud.

.

.

.

"Jongwoon, are you free this weekend?"

"I think so? Why? Do we have plans?"

"Yes, on Saturday, let's visit a few cafes around our neighborhood. Then, on Sunday, let's stay home all day and binge series together. What do you think?"

"I'm happy with that but what about you? Is that what you really want?"

"Of course,"

 

Kyuhyun smiled and slid his fingers in-between the shorter fingers, hooking them together intimately.

 

"I want to spend time with you."

 

 

 

That day, the drawing on the calendar depicted a grinning and excited cloud.

.

.

.

"Kyuhyun, what are we going to do today after work?"

 

He looked at his friend guiltily.

 

"I'm sorry, Jongwoon, I already promised Changmin that I'll go drinking with him."

 

Jongwoon let disappointment slip out for only a second. His friend quickly concealed his feelings and smiled at him in understanding.

 

"I see, good for you! You should spend more time with your other friends too."

"Jongwoon…"

"Don't make that face! I'm okay. I don't want to be accused of hoarding you all to myself anyway."

 

His friend shrugged in a carefree manner but he could see a hint of sadness in that beautiful smile.

 

 

 

Just like the drawing on the calendar, a melancholy smiling cloud.

 

****************************

 

"I think Jongwoon has a crush on me."

 

His friends looked at him as if they saw a ghost.

 

"What?" Changmin spoke up in disbelief, "could it be that your brain finally caught all the hints Jongwoon has been shoving in your face?"

Kyuhyun quickly protested, "Hey, it's not my fault that I've been seeing Jongwoon as a good friend just like you lots."

"Just like us?" Ryeowook chuckled sarcastically, "No, Kyuhyun, you definitely didn't see Jongwoon as a friend like us. You care about him a great deal more than you do us."

"I just want to see him smile, I mean, that's what friends do, right?"

Minho cut in, "but why do you want to see Jongwoon smile? That's the question."

"I'm happy too when Jongwoon is happy. That's also how I feel about you guys but…"

 

Looking at a small ice cube in his glass, Kyuhyun thought back to all the time he had spent with Jongwoon.

 

"But only Jongwoon's smile makes my heart skip a beat…"

"Well, better late than never." Ryeowook sighed, "what makes you come to the realization?"

"Jongwoon's calendar, I found out recently that it's related to me."

"Luckily, it only takes four years and a half for you to realize it," Changmin jabbed him.

"Ouch," Kyuhyun obedient admitted his fault, "alright, you got me. You're better than me in this subject so I need your help. I'm thinking of asking Jongwoon out. What do you think?"

 

Again, his friends looked at him as if he had gone crazy.

 

"Asking him out, really?" Ryeowook snorted, "dude, you two have been shamelessly flirting in the past four years for all we know. Just marry him already."

Minho nodded, "I agree with Ryeowook. Just go straight to the point."

"Plus," Changmin added, "you make him wait for almost five years already. You still want to make him wait more?"

 

Kyuhyun wanted to argue, it's too fast for a marriage, but his friends were right about everything. He made Jongwoon wait and undoubtedly hurt him with their ambiguous status. Maybe it's time to make everything clear. Most importantly, he didn't want to see any sad clouds on Jongwoon's calendar ever again.

 

"I'm leaving."

"Good luck! Hopefully, you'll bring good news tomorrow."

 

He nodded at his friends' encouraging words and left the bar.

 

************************************

 

Ding-dong

 

 

"Yes?"

"Jongwoon, I—"

 

 

Whatever Kyuhyun was about to say was left forgotten when he saw his friend. Jongwoon who was wearing a thin white tank top with black shorts looked at him in surprise.

 

"Kyuhyun? I thought you're with your friends?"

"Let's get inside first."

 

He quickly ushered Jongwoon into the apartment before someone else saw his friend in these revealing clothes. They moved to the living room and sat down together on the sofa.

 

"Did something happen? Why did you leave early?"

"I talked with my friends and they helped me realize something."

"Yes?"

"Can you do me a favor?"

"What favor?"

 

He took Jongwoon's hands in his and looked at his friend with utter seriousness.

 

"Will you marry me?"

"Sure thi— wait… Kyuhyun, what did you say again…?"

 

Kyuhyun leaned in until he felt a warm breath brushing against his lips.

 

"Jongwoon, I love you. Will you marry me?"

 

His friend went quiet for almost five solid minutes but he waited patiently. After another five minutes of silence, Jongwoon finally reacted to his sudden proposal with deep-red blushing cheeks.

 

"W-What!!? Marry you!!? And did you just say that you love me!!?"

"I do. I love you so I hope you'll give me a chance to protect your smile."

"But… I thought you only thought of me as a good friend…"

"That's true. To be honest, you're still my good friend. It's just…"

 

Kyuhyun stole a quick peck at his friend's lips.

 

"I want to marry this good friend. Will you?"

Jongwoon beamed, "of course I do! Kyuhyun, I love you too!"

 

He smiled and happily welcomed his friend who leapt into his arms. They stayed in their partner's embrace in blissful silence for a long while, just indulging themselves in a newly established relationship.

 

"By the way, Kyuhyun?"

"Hmm?"

"Isn't it too fast for a marriage? Shouldn't we go on a date first? I mean! I'd love to marry you! But I'm curious…"

"Oh, that's because I want to compensate you for the times we wasted because of my oblivion. Most importantly, I'm not sure if I can hold back any longer…"

"Holding back? From what?"

 

He pulled away slightly and gestured at himself. Jongwoon was confused at first. Then, his friend glanced down and, after seeing it, blushed even redder.

 

"K-Kyuhyun, that…?"

"You smell so good. Plus, your skin is really soft and smooth…"

 

Kyuhyun had to use every ounce of his self-control to stop his hands from wandering lower than Jongwoon's waist. However, his friend surprised him by grabbing his hands and guiding them to his thighs and bottom himself.

 

"You aren't the only one who has been holding back, Kyuhyun."

"Jongwoon…"

 

His heart swelled in affection with a sprinkle of excitement as he roamed his palms on the slim thighs, drawing a cute mewl from his friend (slash lover).

 

"I promise I'll make it up for the past four years that we lost."

 

He made an oath while slowly closing in until their lips connected.

.

.

.

.

.

The next day, Kyuhyun couldn't help but smirk smugly when he saw the drawing on yesterday's date; their first night together as a couple and their first time having .

 

 

 

 

A blushing and grinning cloud with a dreamy look on its face. Behind the little cloud was a background of the word "AHHH" that took up the entire box.