Dummy

Objects of Love

Dummy:

Noun: a large model of a human

Noun: Something that isn't real and is used for practice

Noun: a stupid or silly person

 

 

 

Jongwoon gulped nervously. His small hands clutched the hem of his shirt so hard that the fabric was now wrinkled. He glanced up at a man in front of him, his best friend, and forgot how to breath for a second when their eyes met. His heart jumped so annoyingly loud in his chest that he wouldn't be surprised if the other man also heard it.

 

"K-Kyu…"

 

The taller man smiled at him, "yes?"

 

"I just want to, I mean, to tell you, tell you, like, I, I-I love you!"

"Uh-huh," the taller man smiled brighter, "and?"

 

Jongwoon felt like his tongue was paralyzed and his head was spinning. He felt like he was about to faint soon!

 

"A-And!" Jongwoon stammered, "and, and…"

The taller man smiled even brighter, "and?"

 

Jongwoon could feel steam coming out of his ears as his friend leaned in closer. Argh! He can't do it! Abort! Abort!

 

"A-And that's it for today's practice! Good job Kyu. Thank you for acting as my dummy!"

 

He laughed to conceal the fact that his heart almost exploded in his chest and slapped his friend's shoulder. His friend caught his hand and brought it to his lips, then—

 

"I'm always happy to help you, Woonie."

 

His friend said with a charming smile and kissed his hand, and Jongwoon was instantly knocked out. You could see his soul coming out of his mouth as his whole body turned red and shut down. Instead of worrying about him, his friend just laughed out loud and pinched his cheeks happily.

 

"You still need more practice though, Woonie. You won't be able to confess to that person if you're still stuttering like this!"

 

Jongwoon's soul slipped back into his body. Glancing up at his handsome friend, his heart ached a little listening to his friend's words. As expected, his friend didn't care if he confessed to someone or not, even though the truth was, he only wanted to confess to…

 

Jongwoon glanced at Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun smiled, "what's wrong?"

Jongwoon looked down to hide sadness in his eyes, "nothing…"

 

He sighed. If only he was being honest that day…

.

.

.

.

Four months ago…

 

 

It was Sunday so they stayed at Kyuhyun's place. Jongwoon was working on his assignment while Kyuhyun was reading a book. He flopped down on a floor table and groaned in annoyance. He never liked doing math homeworks. It made his head throb in pain so much that he considered just burning the damn thing. Although his friend is a math genius, he won't help him unless he tries to solve it first. However, he had been struggling at this one specific problem for hours now. Surely, his friend would help him do it, right?

 

 

"Kyu, can you explain this problem to—"

 

 

Kyuhyun had fallen asleep. Jongwoon blinked. He then (eagerly) abandoned his homework and moved to sit beside the bed. His friend was sleeping on his back with the open book on his face. He pouted in annoyance. How could his friend fall asleep happily while he was dying solving math problems! Not fair! He poked his friend's side hoping to wake him up but to no avail. Kyuhyun still kept sleeping soundly. He poked the sleeping man a few more times but still got no response. Hm, Kyu was seriously sleeping then?

 

 

Wait, isn't this a perfect chance?

 

 

Jongwoon shyly inspected his best friend. That broad chest was rising and falling steadily, so Kyu shouldn't hear if he was to say something, right? Taking a deep breath, he stared at his friend and poured out the feeling that he had kept hidden for so long.

 

"I-I have always loved you, as in, more than a friend. My chest feels so warm and my body feels so light when I'm with you. Whenever it's just the two of us together, I always wish that time would stop so I can be with you forever. Whenever you smile at me and I suddenly turn away. It's not because I don't like you. On the contrary, I really, really like you, so I can't meet your eyes or else I'll die from a heart attack. I keep calling you every night not because I want to ask about tomorrow's class schedules. I only want to hear your voice before going to bed. There are many silly things I did just because I want to be with you a little bit longer. I'm so happy staying by your side like this but—"

 

Jongwoon breathed in to calm his erratic heartbeat.

 

"But I'll be happier if I get to stay with you not as a friend, but as a b-boyfriend…"

 

Jongwoon beamed cheerfully. He did it! He finally confessed to his best friend! Although Kyu wasn't awake to listen to him, just getting it out of his chest was already good enough. He didn't mind if the confession was one-sided and that Kyu didn't know it—

 

 

"Say, Woonie, you want to be my what again?"

 

 

He almost snapped his neck looking up too fast. Kyuhyun, the person who should be sleeping, was wearing a y smirk on his lips. The open book fell off of his friend's face revealing a pair of twinkling mischievous brown eyes that stared fixedly at him. WHAT!!? Kyu was awake this whole freaking time!!?

 

"Y-you're awake!!? But I thought!"

"I was just resting my eyes a bit. Who would've thought that I'll get to hear something… very interesting…"

 

Kyuhyun said in a purring manner. He got up and put the book away. Jongwoon had a bad feeling about it so he moved to get away, but Kyuhyun quickly caught his wrist. The taller man smiled like a predator as he repeated the question.

 

"So? Woonie? You were saying that you want to be my what?"

"I, I-I…"

 

Jongwoon felt like he was dying from both embarrassment and love sickness. Sadly, the damage had already been done so no use crying over spilled milk. The best he could do was salvaging the situation, or better yet, turning a tide to his advantage! That's right! He should seize the chance to actually confess to Kyu!

 

"The truth is!"

"The truth is?"

 

Kyuhyun leaned in and their foreheads were touching now. Jongwoon's heart was literally only a leap away from exploding. In the end, his survival instinct kicked in and chose the "best" action to get away from this situation.

 

"I was practicing and used you as a dummy!!"

Kyuhyun blinked in surprise, "you what?"

 

Jongwoon really wanted to take his words back but it already rolled off of his tongue.

 

"I said I was practicing! You know, practice confessing! So I can say it to that person when the time comes and you're just a convenient dummy for me to practice with!"

 

And now he really wanted to cut his tongue off.

 

"Kyu…"

 

He sneaked a glance at his friend, worrying that the man might be upset with him. Kyuhyun went deadly quiet for a very long time after hearing him. His expression was so still that Jongwoon couldn't read anything. Ah, he was still a healthy highschooler but he had already dug his own grave this early on! Simply wonderful!

 

 

Kyuhyun finally spoke up, "I see…"

"That's all? You're not angry at me…?"

"Nope. If anything, I'm willing to be your practice dummy until you're ready to confess to that person."

"What? But—"

"How~ Ever~"

 

Kyuhyun held Jongwoon's face to look directly into his dark eyes.

 

"I hate doing things half-heartedly. That's why you must practice with me every day until you can confess to that person without any hitch!"

 

His thumb "accidentally" brushed past the corner of Jongwoon's lips.

 

"Cho Kyuhyun the practice dummy, at your service."

 

 

Jongwoon wondered where he could find a new heart to replace the already-exploded one.

.

.

.

.

Ever since that day, Jongwoon had been "practicing" confessing with Kyuhyun every day. And he always failed to reveal the truth every day. He thought that he would use these chances to tell his friend that the whole practice dummy thingy was a total BS, that he actually wanted to confess to Kyu but got too flustered and aborted the mission every time. Unfortunately, four months had already passed but his plan went literally nowhere. (For some reason, Kyu had been more clingy and touchy in the past four months too.) Today, too, Jongwoon practiced "confessing" to Kyuhyun and failed to bring up the truth as usual. It wasn't his fault that Kyu kept shoving his handsome face in whenever he was about to say it! That his heart still functioned normally despite everything was already a miracle in itself!

 

 

"Woonie, stop daydreaming and get this math homework done. We have to go to a theater at seven, remember?"

"I know! Don't rush me! I'm about to vomit these equations out now!"

 

Jongwoon whined while glaring at his notebook. Who tf cares what is the limit of this X? It's not like his family cafe requires calculus to run it! Sneaking a glance at his friend, he saw that Kyu was focusing on something in his Nintendo Switch and got a great idea. He flopped down on the floor table and pretended to sleep. Normally, his friend wouldn't let him slack off from doing homeworks. But if he pretended to sleep, his friend always let him rest until he woke up (and helped him do homeworks after that since they didn't have much time left kkk.) He really is a genius!

 

 

Jongwoon thought to himself smugly. He closed his eyes in order to perfect his acting. Hmm, wasn't the weather quite lovely today? They still had about four hours left before the movie time, so it should be fine if he took a short nap, right? Jongwoon yawned and let the cool autumn lure him into a peaceful slumber…

 

*******************************

 

Kyuhyun chuckled when he saw his cute boyfriend falling asleep for real. He knew that Woonie tried to run away from his homework but he let him be. After all, he enjoyed watching his boyfriend's sleeping face the most. He smiled while secretly taking a photo, adding another one to his ever growing collection.

 

"Kyu, Woon, I brought a drink and snack— oh my, is he sleeping? Should I take these back?"

"It's okay Noona. You can place it there."

 

The older woman nodded and placed a tray on a study table. Turning around, she smiled at the two boys in fondness.

 

"You two have been dating for four months now, right?"

"Yep, although Woonie has yet to realize it. Would you believe that?"

"Isn't it because you keep teasing him?"

 

Ahra giggled after her little brother smirked at her. As of now, literally everyone knew that Jongwoon and Kyuhyun were in a relationship except Jongwoon himself. She once considered telling the poor boy about it, but a flustered Jongwoon was really cute so she changed her mind. She decided to just keep observing the couple for a while longer.

 

"Don't too much Kyu. What if he had a heart attack because he couldn't take it anymore?"

"I know his limit so no need to worry~"

 

Ahra shook her head at her mischievous brother before leaving the young boys to themselves. Kyuhyun turned his attention back to his boyfriend. He snorted after seeing that Jongwoon was snoring quietly.

 

 

"How come you didn't realize that we're already dating? You really are unbelievable."

 

 

Kyuhyun chuckled while gently brushing a strayed hair off of Jongwoon's chubby cheek.

 

 

"You dummy."

 

 

Kyuhyun leaned down and kissed Jongwoon's cheek.