A Meet-Cute Christmas

Idol Advent 2020

Kim Wonpil (Day6)

 

You teetered dangerously, letting out a breath of relief when you managed to remain upright. The ice was thick and slippery due to the lack of morning sun to melt it away. It was the first time you had ventured outside in days, and it seemed as if winter was truly here now.

As was Christmas.

Half the reason you had slipped just now was from being distracted by the display in the window of a small chocolatier. The seasons’ greetings bundles and peppermint brittle candy had caught your eye and broken your focus on where was best to place your feet next. Grateful that you hadn’t slipped over, you continued your walk to the grocers just down the road. After an uneventful trip there, you turned for home, once more peering over at the delicious treats in the window of the handmade sweets store.

You noticed someone else stop and do the same, sharing a small smile with him.

“They do look like they’ll taste good.”

“They definitely do,” you agreed with the polite stranger, whose smile brightened. You stared at his face then, entranced.

It all happened too fast after that moment.

You had gone to step towards the store he gestured at whilst he went to go around you. However, the ice was still precarious in this spot. You began to slip right as his feet started to move as if they were skating on the spot, both of you instinctively reaching out for the other. Your groceries, slung over your arm, collided into his side as you gripped onto his thick coat, his actions mirroring yours.

And once you had both regained your footing, you glanced at the man who held your waist, and you started to laugh.

“I can’t believe how movie-like that moment was!” he gushed at the end of his chuckle. “I never thought people actually slipped that dramatically on ice.”

“Well, I did slip here before. I should have been more careful knowing what happened previously when I came this way.”

“I’m glad I was here to rescue you then,” he offered with another bright smile, and you grinned back at him.

“I’m sure I also rescued you.”

“I wonder if it’s safe to enter this store then, given how you’ve had two almost-incidents here.”

You glanced at the peppermint brittle and then back at him, realising he was still holding you close. It almost made you laugh when you took note of his scent, he smelt just like Christmas cookies.

This truly did feel like the start to a Christmas meet-cute movie.

“If we move together, perhaps we’ll find the delicious treats are worth our while.”

“Well, they do serve hot cocoa by the looks of things,” he mused, holding out his hand. “I’m Wonpil.”

“Y/N.”

“Shall we get to know one another over Christmas treats and cocoa? I can’t help but think this meeting was destined by Santa himself.”