Chapter 1

Eight

authors babbling: There is new stuff on this chapter, with some additional information so don't think I've just re-posted the one from the Options fic. Enjoy 

 

The rain was pounding down on the pavement but Minho did not care in the slightest as he continued on with his late night run. A part of his mind was ruing his choice, knew that he would have to spend the better part of an hour in the shower just to even feel warm when he got in but that night he couldn’t have cared less. He needed to run, to be out of the house, to just be alone with his thoughts for a little while because he could not take the tension anymore.  

It was cowardly, he knew, but there was a time when he had to stop taking on everyone’s pressures and just worry about himself for once.  

Because whilst he did dearly love all his younger brothers, sometimes they were the biggest threat to their own safety and he was done with them that night. Three hours it had taken him and Seungmin to patch up Changbin, Hyujin and Jeongin because the three idiots had decided to get into a fight with a bunch of other alphas for reasons which they wouldn’t state aloud to anyone, Felix walked home in the rain despite the fact that Jinsung had gone to get him but had been waylaid and missed him. Minho had bundled Felix up in all the blankets and pillows that he could find, ordered Changbin to take care of their very wet koala-bear and then gone to find Jinsung.  

Who had turned out to be rushing around the dance studio in a panic because he had missed Felix. Minho had been furious with him for even being late but then had spotted the beta’s knuckles were split open and had dragged him home silently without another word spoken. Which had led to another hour of rough love and Minho trying his best not to explode at everyone. He knew they were protective, knew that they watched out for one another but going to look for trouble and leaving one of their most vulnerable brothers unprotected was not the way to go about things.  

But he also understood them all, probably better than they did.  

Chan’s birthday had come and gone, another bitter reminder that their eldest brother was not with them where he was supposed to be and it always got harder with each passing year. Minho made a mental reminder to call home and check in with their parents once he was warmed up in the morning, because he knew that Xiumin wouldn’t be taking too well to the reminder of his eldest son not being around. Hell, he had been the most vocal about the kids moving out at first but Minho had also understood that reasoning too.  

At least at the time, Chan had been with them to keep things under control and provide some mega comfort to his Mama but now, it was steadily getting worse with each day that passed.  

The cubs had decided that they wanted to move out of the family nest, not because they didn’t love it with their family but because they were getting to the age where they wanted to start exploring the world, to try new things and find their own mates. But somehow the thought of everyone moving out to different areas didn’t sit well with them in the slightest and they choose to remain as a platonic pack and move a few cities over. That way they had their independence, and own space but could be within a reasonable travelling time to their parents should anything go wrong.  

Things had gone fine for the first month, they had all found a house they agreed on and other than a slight argument with Jeongjin not being able to live with them full time as he was still underage for being able to do so, it was all settled quickly and they moved in. Only for trouble to find them on their second night, when Chan went into heat. Whilst it wasn’t that big of a deal, as the eldest omega had been getting his heats regularly since he turned sixteen, it was the first time that the brothers had to deal with alone and Chan’s usual heat partner was visiting his folks back home and was not available. Neither Minho or Jeongin could help Chan in the slightest, even with their alpha status and Chan wasn’t allowing any of his beta brothers near him either. Felix managed to worm his way in, but that was a given seeing as omegas had a habit of sticking together and Minho always joked that Chan favoured the other oemga the most out of his brothers.  

Which was of course a total lie as everyone knew it was Jeongin but it was always fun to tease their big brother about something.  

So that night, everyone had gone to sleep with concerns about what was going on but had figured that they should be okay as Chan knew what he was doing, they were living on a fourth story flat and nothing bad could happen. Until the early hours of the next morning when there had come terrified screams from Chan’s room, a smashed window leading onto the balcony and a half-dead Felix with stomach wounds. There had been no sign of Chan, except for the rapidly retreating car which had driven off and everything went to uttermost hell. The next few hours had been filled with panic, terror and tears as Felix had to have an emergency operation, police were asking questions a million times over and Mingo was throwing up with worry.  

Even when their Uncles turned up, Minho couldn’t believe that he had allowed Chan to be taken from him and had felt as though he was the worst alpha in the entire world. Siwon reassured him that there would have probably been nothing that Minho would have been able to do in the slightest, that he did the best he could and that they would find Chan and bring him home safely.  

That had been just over three years ago, three years of guilt and worry over Chan. There were no sightings, every breeding pack that was tracked down had no signs of the curly haired omega and each day just got harder. The brothers tried their best to keep going, to live as normal a life as possible as really there was nothing that they could do as they all promised to not go looking for Chan or to put themselves in any deliberate danger. But around this time of year, they all sort of lost it in their own way. 

Tonight, Miho couldn’t be done with dealing with the grief and hurt so once he had made sure that everyone was home, and as safe as they could be, he had grabbed his running shoes, locked the door and set out on a run. It was a stupid idea, a dangerous idea and he knew that but it was better than turning around and beating one of his brothers who didn’t deserve it in the slightest. That would just make him an total wally of an alpha and he didn’t need that on top of everything else.  

Ice cold water soaked through his shoe as he stepped in a puddle that was far deeper than what he had expected and with a cry, Minho tumbled down onto the pavement. He cried out in shock, feeling his palms and knees scrape against the rough concrete surface and instantly start to sting. Pausing for a moment, Minho took a deep breath to do a mental check that he hadn’t actually broken any bones and discovered to his embarrassment that he had only really scuffed his hands and had banged his knees.  

The only real damage which had been caused was that the headphones he had previously had on were now on the floor and as he picked them up, the headband snapped. “Oh man,” Minho sighed as he sat back on his haunches pouting, “It wasn’t that hard a fall.”  

Clearly it had been the last straw for these headphones which he sadly realized had been the ones which Chan had gifted him on his sixteenth birthday and another groan of frustration escaped his throat. “I’m sorry Chan...I’m so sorry...”  

Very carefully, the alpha wrapped the broken headphones up as best as he could before slipping them into the pocket of his hoody and took a glance around him. He was at the high street, the neon blinking signs of the closed shops enough to give him a clear indication that he had a twenty minute walk or ten minute run home to the others. Minho sighed long and hard, knowing that he was being an idiot by staying away from the brats because with their anxious moods right now it was impossible to work out what mischief that they would have gotten themselves into. Especially if Jeongin was still up and about, because despite the fact that he was nearly the age to be considered an adult in his own right, the boy was still their baby brother regardless and he needed his sleep.  

Not that Jeongin was ever that appreciative of the fact, but Minho couldn’t really blame the youngest alpha either. It was funny how they topped and tailed each other, but Minho was more concerned that if they let the youngest get into a habit of staying up stupidly late then he would probably not keep up with his classes when he went home at the end of the week. But right now, Minho was more worried that Jeongin would get into a fight with one of the others over something stupid and that would cause chaos on what had already been a rather chaotic night, and if that happened there would be no way that he would get a warming, soothing shower in peace when he got in from the nasty weather.  

Though his eyes wandered over to a favoured bakery that stayed open all hours and the sweet smell of freshly baked goods was just far too tempting for him to ignore. Letting out a sigh, Minho shook his head and made his way across to it, “If there’s one way to get them all to shut up and be happy...”  

He smiled at the jangling of the bell and was glad to get out of the rain for a little respite. He even dug his phone out of his pocket to message the others that he was getting them treats as long as they stopped being brats for five minutes. Whilst this place wasn’t quite as good as Zuzu’s from home, it was as close as anyone had been able to find and it made things calm down and feel worthwhile for a bit so it had quickly become a favourite for everyone. Plus the window was always filled with the most amazing looking treats and it made his mouth water just to think about them.  

“Good evening, Minho,” the owner smiled as he arrived, “I take it they’re giving you hell tonight?”  

“Yeah,” Minho replied wearily, not bothering to read the slew of messages which were jumping up on his phone right now, “Do you have anything extra special in tonight? I think we all need something just a bit different.”  

The owner smiled, “Well I’ve got some fresh Fairy Cakes ready to go and I can add some edible glitter if you like. Oh and Maisie made some Fairy Bread too.”  

“Fairy Bread?” Minho asked.  

A nod was his reply, “Yeah, she found it when she went to visit Australia last month and it’s proving popular.”  

“What is it?” Minho was intrigued as Maisie had a good way of finding stuff that kept his brothers happy.  

“Basically a triangle of buttered white bread with hundreds and thousands on top,” the owner replied, already picking up a plateful of the colourful treats, “They’re surprisingly tasty and will cheer your brothers up no end.”  

Nodding in response, Minho grinned, “Great, we’ll take some.” Shortly after a large bag was handed over to him  with the treats in and Minho paid and bowed as thanks. With his bags of sweet freshly baked treats in hand, Minho set off back into the rain and hoped that it would let up sooner rather than later.  

Five minutes into his walk back from the high street however, there came a giant rumble of thunder overhead which was followed swiftly by a lightening bolt in the center of the street which had Minho darting into a nearby alleyway with a squeak of fear. The rain started to lash down harder than before and the alpha found himself shivering instantly. Then jumping out of his skin as his phone belted out into life with a slightly nerve jangling tune.  

Minho didn’t even pause before pressing the accept call button, “I’m okay...” 

“Like hell you are,” Hyunjin’s voice came across the line, “Where are you?”  

“No! You’re not bringing the car out in this, it’s leatha....” he just about managed to contain a yell of fear behind his lips as another thunder clap boomed overhead but couldn’t stop the whimper. He knew he had lost before he even answered the call, “I’m just off the high street...in an alley...”  

“Can you see the road from there, Gege?” Hyunjin asked softly.  

“Yes, I think I’m at the top part of the....” a flash of lightening struck and illuminated the playground opposite which was good in a way that Minho never thought that it would be, “Up by Wolfie’s.”  

There was a pause for a second, “Right, I know where you are. Jisung’s coming with me, do you want to talk to him until we get there or do you have your music?”  

Minho considered it and whimpered loudly, damn he hated thunderstorms so much. He shuddered a bit, wrapping his arms around his body, “I...tripped and...the headphones...snapped...”  

“Okay, Jisung’s just going to talk to you and we’ll be there....”  

A long beeping noise came from Minho’s phone and he pulled the device away to see it flashing the low battery sign before promptly turning off and leaving him in the dark. “Oh for the love of!” he yelled loudly, then jumped in shock as another beat of thunder crashed right above his head and lightening struck what appeared to be mere feet away from him. It was actually on the opposite side of the road but Minho hated thunderstorms with a passion and had no way to stop himself from freaking out right now.  

This was not good, he couldn’t panic now because that would make him harder to find and he had to go back and protect the others because hell Changbin and Felix were probably besides themselves with worry and Jeongin was more than likely trying to rescue Seungmin from under the bed but it was so hard to not panic when there was all this going on around him and just... 

He whined again, feeling like a total idiot because he was supposed to be the big brother, supposed to be able to keep the cool head in situations like this and generally be awesome and have it all under control but right at this second he didn’t.  

There came a light crack, accompanied by a rustling sound and then a constant, gentle green light filled up the small alleyway that he had temporarily taken shelter in and Minho blinked in surprise. For a second everything settled, the howling wind dropped away, the rain stopped lashing and the storm that was doing a good job of acting like a toddler having a tantrum just disappeared as the soft light continued to be present in front of Minho’s face. Slowly his hands reached for it, almost mesmerized by the object and it wasn’t until his hands had fully clasped around it that reality came back into focus around him.  

But it wasn’t as scary anymore, he could breathe a little easier and there was a constant source of something that was stable and wouldn’t die on him for a long while. His brain eventually supplied the fact that he was holding onto a glow stick. Though one of those heavier set ones that were great for making Halloween pumpkins with. He rapidly blinked, coming back to his senses even further and turned his head to the right, into the dark of the alley way because logically he knew that a light stick was not just going to magically appear in his hands.  

There was a figure there, seeming to be hiding in the shadows but Minho felt no fear in the slightest. In fact, he felt a strange mix of protective and relief though his brain wasn’t quite registering that fact yet, even though he could pick up a gentle sweet smell of Tim Tams, which was odd because he hadn’t smelt those chocolate covered biscuits in years, not since... 

The glow stick, the bag which was holding onto the sweet treats and his phone all tumbled to the floor as a streak of lightening lit up the alleyway and Minho threw himself at the figure standing in the dark. It had only been a single glance, without even a chance to fully register everything but Minho had known instantly who was there and there was not a single chance in hell that he was going to let the other leave his sight ever again.  

~*~ 

“What the hell?” Changbin yelled as Hyunjin pushed open the door and grabbed hold of the smaller boy to guide him back a few paces so Minho could pass by rapidly with what appeared to be a dead body in his arms. “Minho! You’re soaked!” 

“And getting mud all over the floor!” Seungmin complained but then he stopped when he saw what his elder brother was carrying and his mouth opened in shock, “What the hell?”  

Minho sighed, “Stop asking me that, go get some dry clothes or get the bath started or some food or something.”  

“Gege?” at least three other voices asked aloud as Minho set the passed out figure on the sofa with a sigh.  

All that could be seen of the figure was a lot of black but even a cautionary glance confirmed that the clothes were far too big. There was a mop of messy black hair and the persons hands were clenched close to their body as if trying to protect it. But there was a sort of sweet smell in the air that instantly reverberated through all the assembled brothers and caused memories to immediately surface. For a few moments everyone just stood there, Minho panting as he gently brushed a few stray strands of long black hair out of the thankfully sleeping figures face and only the occasional rumble of thunder to disturb the silence.  

Though a shrill sound of someone’s phone, probably Hyunjin’s from the ringtone, cut through everyone’s shock and brought an uneasy life back to everyone. Excluding the sleeping figure on the couch.  

Jisung was quick to take up the slack as it was clear that Minho wasn’t going to be doing or saying anything at the moment. He rudely snapped his fingers towards his brothers, “Changbin go and fetch that backpack I know you have hidden in your cupboard and bring it here right now, Seungmin get the kettle on, Felix clothes and blankets please and Hyunjin...”  

“Sorting out the car and security and on the phone to Mama,” Hyunjin yelled in reply, waving from the doorway.  

“What about?” Jeongin started before yelping as he was pulled towards the figure on the couch, his bare feet slapping against the bare floor.  

“Hugging duty,” both Jisung and Minho said at the same time, pushing the youngster down onto the sofa. For a few seconds Jeongin was panicked, scared and completely confused but then the familiar scent hit his nose and all of his attention was on the figure in front of him. “Gege?”  

Minho gently ran his fingers through the youngest's hair, “Calm down, baby, he’s out for the count now but...”  

“Did you call the doctor?” Jeongin asked, “Or at least Uncle Siwon?  

“Was working on it,” Hyunjin said, sighing as he held the phone away slightly from his ear, “A little help in that area would be greatly received.”  

Jisung nodded, already grabbing his phone to start dialing numbers hurriedly, though barely taking his eyes off the couch for a second as he did so.  

Changbin appeared at that moment with the backpack and Minho took hold of it whilst Seungmin settled for getting the blankets off of Felix to place over the two on the couch. It was Felix who asked first, “Where...did you...find him?”  

“He was hiding in the alleyway that Minho had ducked into,” Hyunjin replied, seeing as the elders were fussing over the figure on the couch. “He gave Minho a glow stick cause he was scared of the storm but he passed out pretty quickly after Minho gave him a hug and he’s been like that ever since.”  

Changbin stepped closer, fingers running through the scraggy hair, “Why didn’t you take him to the hospital?”  

Minho raised his head up at the question with a frown on his face towards the other, who looked back confused before a slight head tilt towards Felix was all that Changbin needed to be reminded of what happened when they had been in his sort of situation the last time. Granted he had been only six at the time but it was an memory that he did not want to repeat. “Oh...are we sure though?”  

“Gege smells of Tim Tams,” Felix replied, moving forward to place his hand on the others head, “He always did.” 

Felix had moved to kneel near to the sleeping figures head, and very gently reached out to brush his fingers across the cold damp skin. “He’s....he’s so small.”  

“You’re still smaller,” Minho teased back playfully and was rightfully shoved by Changbin for that comment but for once he couldn’t even bring himself to be bothered in the slightest.   Jisung whined a little, though because of the fact that he was receiving no attention or the fact that he was trying not to get too upset about this whole situation was another matter all together.  

A tap landed on Minho’s shoulder, causing him to look up at Hyunjin who held out the phone silently to him. The eldest nodded, taking the device before giving his blond haired brother a squeeze and stepping around everyone to find a place where things were just a little quieter. He could see Changbin and Seungmin in the kitchen, clearly getting everyone sorted for a cup of herbal tea and it made him smile before he put the phone to his ear.  

“It’s Minho,” he stated, not entirely sure about who he was going to be speaking to.  

A sigh of relief came through the line, “Good to know this isn’t some sort of wicked prank, my darling.”  

Minho grinned, rolling his eyes even though he couldn’t be seen right now, “Mo, you know none of us would ever prank you over this. Hell is someone ever suggested it, I’d kick their tails into the middle of next week, never mind..” 

“Oh god, it must really be him,” Luhan breathed through the line, sounding as if he was talking to himself and Minho blinked.  

“Huh?”  

“You called me Mo...” Luhan replied, smiling slightly to himself though his son couldn’t see that of course. “Just like Chan used to do.”  

A shiver went through Minho as he remembered how he used to copy Chan in everything. Even in the different names that they elder cub would call all of the omegas in their family until it got way too complicated to remember. In fact, Minho was pretty sure that Chan was the only one to ever keep up the tradition because it was just something very Chan-like. There again with eleven omegas to deal with growing up, Minho could easily understand why Chan had held different names for them all. Kris, the pack alpha, was Ba but he was that to everyone as he was everyone’s father – with the exception of Chan and Felix but both were accepted into the pack and bore the marks so it was a mute point – Xiumin – Chan's actual mother – got Mama, Luhan was Mo, Yixing was Mu, Tao was Gege, Suho was Eomma, Sehun was Moomin, Baekhyun was Mammie, Chen was Umma, Chanyeol was Yellow, Kyungsoo was Sooie and Kai was Nini. Everyone else stuck with the usual traditional honorifics but sometimes it did get confusing when three kids would be all yelling for their Mama’s and none would know who would be being called for.  

About the only omega in the pack who had the least trouble was Tao, as everyone called him Gege, because it just fit so well with his personality. Minho always felt a little sorry whenever anyone asked him why he didn’t get called by a mother’s terms, but Tao would just smile and wave it off politely. Only once had Minho ever asked about the reason why Tao did not have a child by Kris, and Luhan had merely patted him on the head and said that it was a discussion to be had only when the time was right. So far there had never been a right time and Minho knew better than to go prying into the private life of his Gege.  

Sighing as he shook his head, Minho smiled, “Yeah, it’s been a while. How’s Xiumin?”  

“Trying not to get too emotional at the moment but he’s in the car with Kris and Junmian now. Uncle Siwon and Hangen are also on route but they’re coming in their own separate cars,” Luhan replied, “We’re going to stay here and hold the fort because even though we want to see him...”  

“Yeah chaos I understand,” Minho replied, “We’ve got things relatively calm here...”  

“Is a doctor on route? Or at least an ambulance?” Luhan cut in.  

“Jisung was sorting that out so I’d imagine so but we’ll keep him here as long as possible,” Minho replied, shuddering ever so slightly, “Don't’ want a repeat of what happened with Felix.”  

“No, we don’t,” Luhan replied, sighing once again. There was a beat of silence, “Minho....I trust you, you know that....but can you do me a favour?”  

Minho knew what was coming and quietly started moving back to the living room. “Yeah, give me a minute. I’ll call you back after I’ve done it.”  

Jeongin raised his head slightly as Minho reapproached the couch, but moved this time towards the back where he leaned over to start tugging at the man he was hugging way too big hoody. A growl escaped the younger alpha but Minho paid it no mind. There on the back of the boys neck was the familiar bite marks, which had faded slightly with age but were still present. Taking a quick photograph, Minho sent it and was not surprised two seconds later when the phone sprang into life. This time though a face time request from Xiumin. Answering the young alpha smiled, “He’s still asleep currently, Mama but here.”  

Turning the phone towards the sleeping figure, Minho gently nudged Jeongin out of the way just a little bit before handing the phone to the youngest so Xiumin could see everything a little bit easier. There was a pause for maybe a second and then the sound of sobbing came clearly through the speaker. “Oh my...my little baby...Chan! Channie!”  

There was no response from the sleeper but that did not stop Xiumin was constantly talking at him, almost as if he were there, trying to comfort his son. Seungmin stepped closer and took the phone from Jeongin with a sad smile, “Mama, it’s okay, Gege’s going to be fine. We’ve got him, he’s going to be safe.”  

“I know baby but...” Xiumin’s voice broke as he spoke to his youngest, “I just want to be there with you all right now. I want to hug him.”  

“You’re only an hour away from doing that, Mama,” Seungmin continued on in his most grown up voice showing his level of maturity which sometimes still floored Minho to the ground. As the second youngest of all the cubs, Seungmin should have been one of the naughtiest but he was steadfast, sure and always seemed to have a solution to any problems. Tao called him the Mini Xiumin as a joke because of his practical nature, then immediately joked that Chan was just like Kris in terms of being an adorable precious oaf who would do anything to protect them all.  

Minho turned his attention back to Chan, running his fingers over the skin at the back of his neck right over the marks which Kris had made before Minho had even been on the seen. He wondered vaugley what type of life Chan would have had if luck and chance hadn’t brought them both to the pack where they rightfully belonged. His eyes moved up to Felix on instinct, remembering the tiny child he had once been and realized with a jolt that it could have been Chan in that situaiton. Or even worse, the breeding pack could have.... 

Pushing those thoughts aside as the door bell ran, signaling that someone was arriving, Minho watched as Changbin raced towards the door before letting out a sigh and turning back to his sleeping brother. “My turn to look after you Chan,” he said quietly, “No one is going to hurt you ever again. That I promise you right now.”  

A slight jolt went through the sleeping omega’s body, though whether an acknowledgement of the young alpha’s words or a random muscle spasm Minho did not know. He did notice tears falling from the closed eyes, as Jeongin and Seungmin were wiping them away but he was pretty sure that everyone was crying at the moment regardless so he did not make a big scene out of it.  

Especially with the paramedics arriving at the same moment and beginning to ask questions which Minho realized, he did not have the answers to. He could only hope that his parents and uncles got there pretty soon or there was going to be hell on.  

But what he didn’t count on, was the fact that the very moment a paramedic reached to touch Chan’s hand to do some vital checks, that his older brother would suddenly snap wide awake, throw himself backwards away from the man and scramble into the nearest, darkest corner to hide away. “Chan!” Minho called, chasing after the runaway but thankfully Hyunjin was ready to intercept and covered the shivering omega without touching him.  

Hyunjin stared at the hunched over figure, who was shaking like a leaf with his hands over his head. “Gege?” he tried softly, keeping the others at bay, “Chan? It’s okay...you’re safe...it’s me, it’s Hyunjin.”  

Terrified, blood shot brown eyes turned to glance at him and Hyunjin held his heart shatter as Chan started to shake his head, and pull at his hair. “Hey, don’t do that,” Hyunjin said, reaching out for the others hand to try and stop him from hurting himself. “It’s okay, we won’t hurt you, Gege, you’re safe you’re...”  

Chan pushed the hand away from himself, lips moving as if he were saying or trying to yell something but not a single syllable came out of his throat. Even though he was sobbing, there was no sound and Hyunjin was frozen in shock unable to process this new revelation. “Gege...can you talk?”  

That seemed to make Chan stop his frantic hair pulling for just a few seconds, as he glanced up at Hyunjin before letting out what should have been a heart breaking sob but only came out as a tiny useless squeak. Chan’s hands flew to his face, covering it completely as he heaved through heart wrenching sobs that could barely be heard which caused him to loose his already precarious balance. Hyunjin caught him and held tightly onto the silently sobbing boy, unsure as to what he should do now. He looked up at Minho who was looking just as distressed but the alpha kneeled down next to the pair and wrapped them up in his arms. “We’ll get through it. We will. I know it. Chan, the paramedics just want to check on you...can you do that?”  

It took another thirty minutes to even convince the terrified omega to come out of the corner and the only reason they managed was because Chan passed out on them once again. Minho lifted Chan up, allowing Jisung to take Hyunjin into his arms for comfort but it was Jeongin who yelled out in fright. “Why is he bleeding?”  

Chan was placed down on a gurney, whilst the paramedics swarmed around the passed out omega and Minho found himself being hugged by Felix whilst Changbin hugged Jeongin and Seungmin stood watch over his elder brother looking pale. For the first time in what felt like forever, Minho didn’t know what to do or to say and he could only hope and pray that his parents would be here soon.