Sweet flavors

Bygones
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Chapter 6

 

 

 

 

“Three fusilli al pesto and one créme caramel..” said Joy passing the orders to Jimin and Suga.

 

It was a crazy lunch hour inside the kitchen. The orders kept piling up without a break.

 

Taehyung hasn’t even had a single minute to have a sip of water.

 

It isn’t even the weekend but why are there so many customers today?

 

He’s getting too confused with all these orders but he can’t even complain because he knows everyone is just as busy as he is and the waiters outside are surely having a hard time as well.

 

He looked at the orders to check them once again. 

 

Working inside the kitchen is dangerous.. every order needs to be double checked..

 

One mistake and he could put one person’s life in danger. And so he has to be careful specially with those who have allergies, food intollerance and other particular diets.

 

So.. to all people who believe he became a chef just to impress women.. they should know about this!

 

Specially that woman Kim Jisoo who keeps on accusing him..

 

He thought about her again.. he has been distracting himself for the past few days and has also been trying not to bump into her after what happened that day inside the lavatory..

 

He was shaken up that time.. he almost got himself into trouble.. a big one..

 

Wait.. no.. he must stop thinking about her.. he has to focus on cooking for now..

 

But then he heard her voice..

 

“I’ll leave the order here..” said Jisoo placing the piece of paper on the table before going back to the counter.

 

She had to attend some customers because Rosè was in the basement to take something from the storage room.

 

“That’ll be 115 dollars..” said Jisoo making a transaction.

 

She usually just stands at the counter for the payments but when she sees that the others are in need of her help, she doesn’t hesitate to give them a hand.

 

But she didn’t know she’d make a grave mistake that particular day by taking one single order.

 

She saw Joy running towards her.

 

“Unnie.. did you perhaps take the order from table 21?” asked Joy, her face becoming even paler that it already is.

 

Jisoo nodded her head. It was only that table she took an order from and she can remember it clearly.

 

“You mean the mother and daughter?” she asked starting to get a bad feeling. “Why? Is there something wrong? Did I make a mistake?”

 

“Unnie.. the customer said she ordered the dish without the egg because-..”  said Joy biting her lower lip. 

 

Jisoo’s eyes widened.

 

“Call an ambulance right away..” she said running to the said table to check on the customer.

 

The mother clearly told her not to add egg to their dish because her child had an allergy.

 

Why did she forget to write it in that piece of paper before? She shouldn’t have hurried when she saw another customer was at the cashier desk waiting for her!

 

This isn’t good.. what if something happens to that kid?

 

When she arrived at the table, Taehyung was already there calming the customers down.

 

Joy had gone to inform the kitchen staff first not knowing it was Jisoo who brought them the order.

 

“Do you have some medicine with you?” asked Taehyung to the mother. “The ambulance is coming.. we will get her checked right away..”

 

Jisoo stood behind Taehyung. 

 

She saw the child in pain.. some hives have already appeared on her face..

 

Then the mother saw her and pointed at her.

 

“You took my order didn’t you? I told you that my child has an allergy.. would you take responsibility if something happens to her?” 

 

Jisoo felt like her feet were glued on the floor..

 

Words wouldn’t come out of either..

 

“I.. I... I really.. didn’t..” she was stuttering.

 

The child’s life might be in danger because of her.

 

She wanted to curse herself..

 

She took a step forward but then she heard Taehyung apologize to the customer..

 

“It was my fault.. I’m sorry.. the manager told me but I was too distracted and couldn’t hear what she was saying to me.. I apologize for what happened.. I’ll assure you nothing will happen to-..”

 

The customer slapped his left cheek.

 

Jisoo covered in surprise. It made a loud noise! 

 

Taehyung must have been hurt..

 

“Nothing will happen? How could you say that after doing this to my child? I will sue you if something bad happens to her..”

 

Jisoo could only stay where she was..

 

Why did Taehyung have to do that?

 

A few minutes later, they heard the ambulance arriving.

 

Jisoo and Taehyung came to the hospital with the customers.

 

Jisoo’s hands were trembling. She could see the child having difficulty breathing.

 

If something happens, she will regret this for the rest of her life..

 

She has been working there for a lot of years but she made a mistake like this!

 

She’s so stupid! Careless! Dumb!

 

 

 

———————

 

 

 

“The itchiness should go away in a few hours.. and she should be okay then.. you did well on coming here as fast as you could.. the child’s immune system isn’t very strong so.. it could have been worse if you waited longer..”

 

Jisoo and Taehyung could hear the doctor explaining the patient’s situation to the mother.

 

Taehyung heard Jisoo heave a long sigh of relief.

 

He glanced at her who was on the verge of tears. Jisoo must have been shocked just like how the mother was..

 

He saw her hands shaking on their way to the hospital.

 

She is usually scared of even the most little things.. she must be blaming herself a lot now..

 

Then he saw her slowly approaching the mother.

 

He followed after her, worried that the customer might still be furious that instant..

 

“I’m really sorry..” said Jisoo bowing her head deeply. 

 

The mother smiled at her. She must have calmed down already.

 

Taehyung felt relieved.

 

“I’m sorry for raising my voice at the  two of you before.. please understand that I was just scared about my daughter having an allergic reaction..”

 

Jisoo held her hand.

 

“It’s me who should be sorry.. I sincerely apologize.. it was my mistake.. please forgive me..” she said with her head lowered, unable to look her in the eye.

 

Then the mother looked at Taehyung.

 

“I didn’t mean to slap you.. let me apologize for that.. I was just in shock..”

 

Taehyung shook his head.

 

“That’s fine.. please don’t worry about it.. I understand how you felt..” he said smiling.

 

“You two should go back to the restaurant now.. I won’t file a complaint since my daughter is fine now.. that’s all what matters to me..”

 

Jisoo and Taehyung went out of the hospital without saying anything to each other.

 

Taehyung kept looking at her. 

 

Is she okay? She still looks in a daze.. 

Is she still feeling bad for what happened before?

 

Then Jisoo faced him making him stop at his stance.

 

He gulped. Why does she look.. angry at him? 

 

Did he do or say something? They haven’t even talked yet..

 

“Is there something you want to say to me?”  he took the courage to ask her.

 

Jisoo closed her eyes as she took a deep breath.

 

“Why did you do that?”

 

Taehyung was puzzled. Do what? What is it that he did?

 

“Why did you take the blame? You know it yourself that it was my fault..” said Jisoo almost in tears.

 

“Jisoo.. it was-..”

 

“Why? You wanted to play the hero?” Jisoo sounded sarcastic that it’s making Taehyung lose his temper.

 

Why should she be mad about this? He just can’t understand her!

 

And didn’t it end already? What is there to argue about now?

 

“I am the chef.. I cooked that dish.. so it was partially my fault..” he said trying to stay calm.

 

That’s true.. he wasn’t trying to play any role she’s saying..

How did she even come up with that?

 

“Did you think I’d be grateful to you because you saved me? Because you got slapped instead of me?” asked Jisoo raising her tone.

 

“W-what? What did you say? Did I mention anything like that? What are you even thinking of Jisoo?”

 

A tear fell from Jisoo’s eyes. She’s feeling frustrated. Why did he even have to in? She was already feeling bad for making that mistake towards that kid but Taehyung took the blame all of a sudden and is making her feel even more guilty.

 

 

“You’re always doing things without thinking of me.. doing things that are hurting me.. bothering me.. you have always been like this Taehyung.. ten years ago.. and even now.. I guess you’re still the same..” said Jisoo looking straight at his eyes.

 

Taehyung’s heart wrenched in pain due to the last words she has just spoken..

 

Did she really just say that he didn’t think of her? That he did things to hurt her?

 

When did he even do that? His life revolved around her back then.. 

 

He only thought of her.. only her..

 

How many times did he tell her that he changed because of her? That he loved her? 

 

But what did she do in the end? She left.. she disappeared..

 

Because of one thing he never had intention of doing.. because of that one thing he never really did..

 

 

“I hate you.. I can’t help but hate you..” said Jisoo tearing up.

 

Another excruciating pain in his chest.

 

How can she say she hates him without even thinking twice? Without hesitating?

 

Whether she means it or not.. those words shouldn’t be said carelessly..

 

Particulary between them.. who once loved e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter