final.

Background Music
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The strong brew of coffee beans hits your senses as you push open the entrance door. The usual chime rings above your head. The familiar face behind the counter drops. Your friend is already rolling his eyes at your presence.

“Aren’t you supposed to greet me nicely?” You ask and immediately imitate his voice, walking to the register, “‘Welcome to Beans ’N Cream.’”

“I’m not in the mood,” Hongjoong deadpans.

“I’m guessing you’ve seen the assigned groups for the online store project,” 

“Unfortunately,” he sighs, “I don’t even know the people in my group.”

“Maybe you should show up to class then.”

“Maybe I won’t serve you.”

“No, I need caffeine,” you whine.

“Your order has barely any caffeine,” he says as he prepares a glass.

“I don’t tell you how to drink your coffee,” you counter, watching him check on the other barista.

“San, get back to work!” He yells over to the guy working the drive-thru.

San turns around saluting, “Aye, aye, Captain!”

An exhausted sigh leaves Hongjoong as his eyes meet yours again, “I hate it here.”

“Why don’t you just fire him?”

“I can’t… He brings in a lot of customers.”

“Then quit.”

“You know why I can’t. Now I’m screwed since we’re not in the same group.”

“You’ll live. Maybe it will be good for you to actually do your own-”

“Take your liquid sugar with a splash of espresso and go.” He places your usual iced macchiato on the counter with a clink.

“Love you, Joong,” you coo as you take it and head to your regular spot at the corner table.

Friday nights at the coffee shop are chill with the fairy lights glimmering through the wooden rafters above and soothing live music being played across the cafe. It’s the perfect place to work on some projects and papers.

A plate lands next to your textbook, and you look up to find San.

“Another anonymous blueberry muffin.” He smiles.

“Again? Why can’t you just tell me who it is?” You sigh.

“Because I’m here for the secret admirer cliche… and they said not to tell you.”

“San-”

“You sit here for hours not eating, and they want to make sure you do. So eat up, buttercup,” San says and begins to walk away before you can pry any further.

“Is it Hongjoong?” You call after him.

“I’m not telling, but no!”

Your eyes scan the cafe for clues, but all you find is other customers engrossed in their own lives. The music has stopped as the next open mic performer sets up. Conversations continue, and you resume studying symbolic consumption, self-image, and personality while nibbling on the muffin. A couple of popular songs fill the air, lulling you back into concentration.

The performer clears his throat before strumming the intro of the next song. The first few words sang sound familiar; the title on the tip of your tongue. It brings a warmth over you as your fond memories embrace you, but you can’t quite remember them. With each lyric that flows out of his mouth, you fall a little more in love with his voice.

“Forever is a long time, but I wouldn’t mind spending it by your side.”

“I Wouldn’t Mind” by He is We. Someone else actually knows this song? Your eyes shoot up to finally see the performer. His dark fringe hangs over his eyes as he focuses on his fretting. He looks familiar; you’re pretty sure he’s a regular here. His group of friends usually sit at the table next to the window, and sometimes they laugh loudly but are never a disruption. 

You’ve become used to the routine sounds of the coffee shop. It’s your favorite background music. Right now, it comes in a soothing voice singing an old favorite song of yours. The atmosphere feels like home, and you wouldn’t mind staying like this.

When the song comes to an end, you watch him put his guitar away. One of his friends says something to him that makes the rest of them laugh. The guy glances back at you with curious eyes, and when he turns to his friends, they seem to .

-

With your laptop snugly under your arm, you walk inside the coffee shop, ready to settle in to do school work. It’s a Monday night, and the cafe is a little more crowded than usual. The normal chatter is slightly louder with excitement. 

As you head to the front counter, your eyes wander to the table by the window, making contact with the guy from open mic. He quickly averts his gaze to the table, hiding his eyes under his fringe. It flusters you for a moment before you greet Hongjoong.

“For that online store project, my group decided to sell our own brand of sustainable clothing,” you inform Hongjoong as you sit on a barstool, “One of them was talking about how difficult it would be to do that in our group chat. I don’t think they realize this online store is just practice and that we’re not actually going to make or sell any products.”

“The amount of stupidity that gets into college astounds me.” He wipes down the counter in front of you.

“Has your group figured out what you’re selling?”

He glances up at you pointedly, “My group hasn’t even responded to my emails.”

“Oh… I’ve already done resear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter