Chapter 4

EXILE

The familiar metal gate seemed to be his last barrier before he enters his family home. He was back in Seoul and is waiting in the car for the gates of hell to open so the car can pass through.

It does not thrill him to be here, but he missed his mother; he wanted to see her. The car came to a halt at the entrance of the house. The chauffer opened the car door for him with a bow and informed him the luggage will be delivered to his room.

Jinyoung walked through the main door into the family room and found his grandfather having a conversation with one of his employee. He contemplated on sprinting to his mother’s room without being noticed; he decided against the idea. He would never hear the end if he skips greeting his grandfather.

He just arrived; he need not give them an excuse to point all his flaws and misgivings. Jinyoung was certain that the Senior Park has a binder which contains various pages loaded up with deficiencies and defects of Jinyoung.

The senior Park’s voice brought him back from his musings, Jinyoung did a 90 degree bow and greeted his grandfather.

“How was your flight Jinyoung?” questioned his grandfather.

“It is fine, Chinhal-abeoji. I trust you are healthy,” answered Jinyoung.

“I am doing fine, and at peace, I hope you don’t cause nuisance and drive my blood pressure through the roof,” the senior Park stated with a judgmental gaze on his grandson.

“Listen carefully, it’s a final warning to you. I let you do whatever the damnation every one of these years as you were away from Korea. Since you are back in this house you know the drill, and you know about outcomes of not following the drill. So it's your obligation to think responsibly.” The senior Park warned Jinyoung.

I will give you a two weeks of time to settle down, at that point you will begin working in the business. I will let your father update you on all the subtleties once he returns from his business trip, you are excused for the time being. Once again keep in mind this is not America, your actions will have consequences that you won’t like, cautioned senior Park while signalling Jinyoung to leave the room.

Jinyoung bowed to his grandfather. Without a word he proceeded to his mother's room and knocked on the door and heard his mother asking him to come in. Opening the door with a quick sprint, he engulfed his mother in a hug.

“Mom, I missed you. How are you?” Jinyoung enquired, holding his mother in his arms.

“I am ok Jinyounga, I missed you too. How are you? How was the journey? Are you tired? Do you want anything to eat?” his mother bombarded him with questions.

“Mom, I am fine and I don’t want to eat now. I am a little tired, I will be fine once I have a decent nap,” replied Jinyoung.

“Did you meet abeoji and halmeoni?” Jinyoung’s mother enquired.

“To my ill luck abeoji is in the living room, I couldn’t avoid him. He is extremely pleased by my presence in this house. He warned me to watch my behaviour,” huffed Jinyoung.

“Jinyounga be careful of what you say in this house. Don’t stress yourself, greet your grandmother before you go to your room. I will have one of the helper unpack and arrange your belongings.” Jinyoung’s mother chided.

“Can I not see her today, I had my dose of senior Park’s for today, I am not in the mood to entertain one more,” Jinyoung whined.

“Ok go rest, I will let her know that you are worn out and will join us for dinner,” his mother sighed.

“Much appreciated mom, wake me up for supper,” replied Jinyoung giving his mother a small hug before walking out to his room.

Once in the room he plopped on his bed and flicked through his phone. He called Jackson to let him know that he has arrived in hell.

“Yes Park, how are you? Hope things are sailing smooth at the Park’s royal residence?” Jackson enquired with a hint of amusement in his tone.

“Seuineeya, I want an escape, if it's not too much trouble add me to your family register, I will abandon the Park family,” Jinyoung whined into the phone.

“Jinyounga, is it even an hour since you are back in the house? You can’t surrender this quick. Remember, your grandparents are old, let them whine, don’t stress yourself,” Jackson stated.

“Ok I will let you go, I am tired and I need to hit the sac,” Jinyoung stated and disconnected the call. He was tired and he couldn’t care about a shower and fell asleep in the comfort of his bed.

After a few hours of sleep Jinyoung felt revived and his stomach was growling, he took a quick shower and glanced at the wall clock; it was almost 8 PM. Jinyoung strolled to the dinning room as they serve the supper at 8. His mom greeted him and he saw his grandparents entering the dinning area. He bowed to both of them and greeted his grandmother. For once she is feeling wonderful and the supper discussion din't appear to spin around Jinyoung.

“Jinyoung, I heard from your aunt that Kanika is heading out to a  remote area in Bhutan for her final year project for environmental engineering, I want you to accompany your sister,” Jinyoung grandfather informed.

“Is Bambam not going with her abeoji?” Jinyoung enquired.

“I am asking you to accompany her so that Kunpimook doesn’t go with her. I feel anxious when both siblings are together, I can’t trust them to act normal without supervision. My daughter- and son-in-law raised them like animals in the wild.” Senior Park groaned.

“We have three grandkids and none of them act civil, I wonder where it all went wrong, we can only blame our daughter- and son-in-law in case of Kanika and Kunpimook. I just can’t wrap my head around to the fact that Jinyoung ended up being an odd one despite our strict upbringing,” Jinyoung’s grandmother sighed.

There it is. In what capacity can his grandparents have a light discussion, in what way can his grandparents ever be content with their grandkids? It's not just him that his grandparents are astounded with; the entirety of their grandkids baffled them similarly.

“When should I be going abeoji?” Jinyoung asked his grandad.

“Call up Kanika and get the details. She might not agree with you accompanying her, let her know that she doesn’t have a choice,” his grandfather replied, and the dinner ended on that note and everyone dispersed to their respective rooms.

Jinyoung mentally calculated the time difference between Seoul and Zurich, it was roughly 2 PM in Zurich and he called Kanika.

“Hey big brother, what do I owe the delight to get a call from the ever occupied Jinyoung Park,” teased Kanika on the opposite end.

“Hello little sis, you know that I am never busy for you and Yeojin. How are you and Yeojin doing?” enquired Jinyoung.

“We are both doing fine and dandy brother. Yeojin and I miss you a ton, I heard that you are back in Seoul. Hope our grandparents are not wringing your neck,” Kanika stated.

“Maybe you should visit grandmother and granddad so you can share the spotlight,” Jinyoung teased. “Anyhow the reason I called you is to inform you that grandfather wants me to you on your expedition to Bhutan. He ordered me to let you know it is not up for discussion, and I am to you for the entirety of your trip to Bhutan,” Jinyoung informed.

“Really brother I am glad that it is you that will give me company. I hate it when grandfather sends his female staff to monitor me during my travels,” Kanika groaned.

“Ok then share the details of your itinerary, I will book my tickets as per your schedule. It’s been a while, let’s catch up over the trip. Is Yeojin coming as well?” enquired Jinyoung

“No, bro, Yeojin is occupied with her assignments so she can’t take this trip with me,” Kanika huffed.

“Ok let princess know I called. Ask her to call me when she is free, I will let you go now. Remember to share your itinerary,” with that Jinyoung disconnected the call.

Jinyoung and Kanika planned on meeting in Bangkok for their onward journey to Bhutan. Jinyoung always had a delightful time whenever he was in Thailand, he stayed at the royal residency with his aunty’s family. They insisted that Jinyoung spend a few more days with them on his return to Bangkok from Bhutan.

Kanika’s father the crown prince suggested they pay a visit to the King of Bhutan on an unofficial capacity. The crown prince of Thailand and the King of Bhutan are close friends and Kanika knew the Bhutan’s royals on a personal level. The arrangements for their trip are made and the Bhutan’s monarchy were notified of the Princess visit.

A designated driver was waiting for Jinyoung and Kanika at the arrivals in Paro, Bhutan. He guided them to the vehicle and informed them it would be an hour drive to Thimphu. The cousins were immersed in taking in the surroundings, and in no time reached their hotel in Thimphu. They both checked in their respective rooms and Kanika paid a quick visit to the Bhutan’s monarch and joined Jinyoung for supper at the hotel. They were to begin promptly the following morning for their destination Bumthang.

The distance to Bumthang from Thimphu was around 270 Kms, but due to the rugged terrain the drive was rather bumpy and nauseating. It took them around 8 hours to reach Bumthang. By the time they checked in the hotel it was 5 PM, both cousins were bone-weary and they retreated to their respective rooms. Once in her room Kanika called the concerned person who is to help her with her project in Bumthang. He informed her they can meet at the Kurjey Lhakhang Monastery at 9 AM.

Kanika was up early, finishing her breakfast before she went to check on Jinyoung. He informed her he would want to sleep in and suggested her to carry on with her schedule for the day. She told him she will at Kurjey Lhakhang Monastery and she will be back for dinner and in the event that he needs anything he can give her a call. Kanika let for the monastery with the assigned driver for the day.

It took roughly 15 minutes for Kanika to arrive at the monastery; she ventured out of the vehicle and was searching for her contact person. She didn’t have an idea how the person looks. A monk in red robes walked towards her and bowed to her with his hands pressed together at his chest.

“Your royal highness please accept my apologies for not addressing you appropriately during our past conversations, I was not aware of your royal lineage,” stated the monk with his body slightly bowed and his head down.

The monk’s apology startled Kanika. She assumed it was this monk who spoke to her over the phone previous evening. It surprised her how he knew about her royal status. She was not sure if she should address him with his name, now that she is aware of him being a monk.

“Please don’t apologize Bhikkhu, I am not visiting in official capacity as a royal,” Kanika replied.

The monk stood straight with his head up and smiled at Kanika saying “Your royal highness, you can address me with my name, I am not an ordained monk yet.”

Kanika was not expecting to see such an exquisite face dressed as a monk and with a shaved head. Even with his head shaved she could tell that the monk probably had a dark brown hair. He had lovely hazel eyes with a trace of green in them. His smile was breathtaking. Kanika was not sure if she can check out a guy in monk’s robes. It seemed disturbing on a different level.  The guy mentioned that he is not a monk, what is he doing in a monk’s attire. Her expectation was to see a youthful man who graduated from university who looked like her peers. What she saw was entirely different.

“May I address you as Yien?” questioned Kanika.

“Yes, your royal highness,” the guy replied with a smile.

“Yien please address me as Kanika, also I am intrigued about how you know of my lineage. I believe there was no mention of such a thing when I have spoken to you in the past,” Kanika enquired.

“It would be inappropriate to address you with your name now that I am mindful of your heredity. The Royal University of Bhutan received a call from our cherished King educating them of your visit to Bumthang, I received a call from the university this morning updating me with the information of your royal lineage and how I am to ensure that you have a comfortable stay and fulfil the purpose of your visit,” Yien stated.

“Ok, you can address me as your highness if that makes you feel at ease,” replied Kanika.

“Your highness I will give you a brief tour of the monastery and then we can discuss regarding your project,” informed Yien.

The time flew swiftly Yien gave her a detailed tour of the monastery and its surroundings. They identified few areas with scope for improvement. It intrigued Kanika with how proficient Yien was on the aspect of environmental engineering. She had the knowledge that Yien had a bachelors degree in Sustainable Development and a masters degree in Natural Resources management from the Royal University of Bhutan. What she din’t expect was this level of comprehension on the implications, technical constraints and the environmental impact of certain actions.

They both called it a day as it was, almost 2 in the noon and they din’t have their lunch. Yien reminded her, he doesn’t carry a cellphone so she can call on the land phone in the monastery to give him any update if she had a change of plans.