Rescue

17: ALIVE (HIATUS)

NINE.

 

For the sake of humanity, Min Gyu saved the day.

Forsaking humanity, Won Woo saved Min Gyu.

 

Blood, blood, blood.

Everywhere were blood, ripped bodies, death throes, and screamed curses of those who were desperate to survive the apocalypse. But Won Woo was separated from the main group, standing alone and helpless as he watched the fallen world right before his eyes turn red. Causing someone to die because of his lack of rational consideration was definitely not in his original plan. And from then on, nothing went as planned. He should have known that.

.

Won Woo froze like a lifeless doll and didn’t seem aware of what he had become, deeply shocked with the realization that he—again—was the reason someone died a tragic death. It was like a nightmarish déjà vu, flashing past his eyes. He could neither move nor feel his mortal body, looking like a robot whose deactivate button had just been pushed. But he was human. Alive. And now immense fear and guilt were intertwining and accumulating inside him, making him fail to function.

The only reaction Won Woo later made was a faint gasp, when Seo Yeon continued to fight the zombie despite the bleeding teeth marks on her neck and hoarsely screamed, “Won Woo sunbae!” She wrapped her arms tightly around the monster, blocking its view of the shell-shocked senior. “Go! Now!”

Possessed by a sinister ghost that had always been shadowing him for more than a decade, Won Woo remained motionless as if he couldn’t hear anything. His expression gradually went vacant in a very uncanny way. His eyes were open and shifting around, but they saw things others couldn’t. The fragmented memories of Bon Hwa, Dong Han, Jin Joo, Min Gyu and all the last living ones he had contact with in the past few hours were overlapping one another like a messy collage, but then they rapidly faded into a fogged piece of a distant past. It appeared and floated forward from the very back of his mind, becoming clearer and clearer.

At that moment, Won Woo had been completely detached from reality. But even in the imprisonment of the past where he turned again into a ten-year-old boy, all he saw was death.

“Young Master… live… you must live…”

“WON WOO HYUNG!!!”

Min Gyu screamed into his ear right after he walloped a zombie that lunged at the defenseless older guy.

“WON WOO HYUNG!!!”

Min Gyu called him again with a rising frantic note of concern. But Won Woo was so silent as a stone, mentally trapped in a different world. There was a look of absolute devastation on his face. It was something that Min Gyu had seen before and was afraid of seeing again.

Min Gyu was left with no choice. He seized the gun from Won Woo’s hand on the spur of the moment and lifted him up, carrying him on his shoulder.

“Won Woo hyung, get a hold of yourself! We can’t die here!”

Min Gyu...?

The desperate shrill voice and hurried moves made Won Woo immediately blink into consciousness. He gasped in surprise at the rapidly shifting sight of a blood-flooded surface, and next, he realized that he was jolting up and down on someone’s right shoulder. But soon he knew that it was Min Gyu who carried him. He was disoriented for a moment trying to remember what had happened until the horrifying memory of a bob-haired girl attacked by an undead monster resurfaced in his mind.

Won Woo stretched up his neck to lift his gaze, searching for the spot where he found the policeman’s gun. Where the girl saved his life. Whatever he saw ahead was getting further and further as Min Gyu continued to run. But through his blurred eyes, he could see a human figure in a red jacket and recognize it instantly.

That was Seo Yeon—no longer fighting.

Now she sprawled face down with zombies gnawing on her body. Lifeless. And he kept his eyes open and fixed on the agonizing reality, witnessing the irreversible transformation when the infected dead body suddenly jerked spastically from side to side, rose, and finally became one of those undead creatures.

BANG! BANG!

Two deafening, consecutive aimed shots were suddenly heard.

With a mixture of frustration and anger, Min Gyu fiercely kicked the door open and those standing nearby immediately stormed into the storage room. “Hurry!” he called all the living ones that were still trying to kill the zombies. “Get inside now!”

Min Gyu carefully put Won Woo back onto his feet inside the dusty storage room. But when he was about to leave again to help others who still got stuck in the direful situation outside, Won Woo grabbed the taller guy by his wrist impulsively out of concern.

“Won Woo Hyung,” Min Gyu said in a gentle voice, a reassuring smile flashing across his face. “I’ll be okay.” Unsure if he was convincing enough, he dashed out of the storage room.

It was a battle they couldn’t win.

Time was running out, and all they could do was gamble that the storage room could protect them from the zombie invasion that threatened to overrun the entire building of Section C4. Min Gyu looked around frantically trying to find anyone alive. Unluckily, he could only save one person and in a frenzied state of walloping the undead with his baseball bat, he still couldn’t find where Jeong Han was. As far as he could see, there was no more human being left. Just the deadly creatures and those infected who had started to become ones.

Despite the current bad terms between him and Jeong Han, and despite the urgent screams coming from behind the door telling him to immediately retreat into the storage room, Min Gyu still stubbornly searched for the presence of the blonde-haired guy.

“Jeong Han hyung!”

Min Gyu savagely kicked, struck, and killed zombies within his field of vision, glancing around the calamitous surroundings.

“JEONG HAN HYUNG! WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!”

There was no reply.

“Min Gyu sunbae!”

Standing behind the storage room’s narrowly-opened door was Vernon, trying to help the tall guy find a sense of direction. And coming from a person gifted with exceptional hearing ability, that was such a huge help. When Min Gyu turned back to look at Vernon, the younger guy pointed to a certain spot behind him, between a pair of water tanks. He followed the visual clue immediately but his confusion remained strong because he still couldn’t find Jeong Han.

“Jeong Han sunbae! Is! There!” Vernon shouted each word separately with heavy emphasis.

Exactly three seconds later, Min Gyu saw a blonde-haired head and ran toward the persevering form of life without a second thought.

“JEONG HAN HYUNG!!!”

Driven by the tiny bit of relief pounding in his chest, Min Gyu managed to break the circle of zombies that prevented the older guy from escaping just in time.

BANG!

That was aimed at a groaning, stinking zombie in a tattered firefighter uniform that fiercely launched itself in Jeong Han’s direction. The bullet exploded through its skull, immediately sending the rotten body flying into the air a few meters sideways in a bloody shower of brains.

Min Gyu had come round to Jeong Han’s side when he tried to fire another shot at the closest living corpse, but there was only a disheartening click of an empty gun. He cursed under his breath, slamming the gun down irritatedly.

Beside him, Jeong Han could no longer lift the axe and then dropped to his knees, breathing so heavily as he had lost much of his stamina from the non-stop fighting. Min Gyu knew things would only get worse after this, but somehow, his will to live was getting stronger than ever although the odds were stacked against them surviving without harm.

Now tightening his grip on the bat, Min Gyu affirmed his resolve to stay alive and take Jeong Han safely back to the storage room. He unhesitatingly struck the approaching living dead with brutal and deadly precision. But as soon as he turned and faced a child—no, a dead child who had become a zombie—he suddenly froze in shock.

It was Jeong Han who saved his this time. Cold-bloodedly, the blonde-haired guy rose to his feet and swung his axe blade at the murderous zombie child. Next, it fell dead for good onto the rooftop floor with its menacing mouth open, half the top of its head gone.

Min Gyu hadn’t recovered from his initial shock when Jeong Han wavered and fell to his knees again. But then, it was the older guy’s violent fit of coughing that immediately snapped him out of his unresponsiveness. “Jeong Han hyung!” he shouted worriedly at the exhausted senior. “Are you okay!?”

“I’m... not,” Jeong Han replied in sardonic honesty, trying to catch his breath. “Why are you... coming here... you stupid brat?”

While continuing to slam the zombies that ganged up on them in the head with his baseball bat, Min Gyu said, “I’m taking you back with us!”

“No… you’re literally trying to get yourself killed...”

“Don’t underestimate me, hyung! I’m not planning to die here!”

“Kim Min Gyu.” Jeong Han looked up at him with a disapproving smirk. “You may say whatever you in’ want to say, but look around you!” he scoffed. “Don’t tell me… you’re trying to save me without actually knowing if I’ve got bitten or not…”

“I don’t know!” Min Gyu answered him firmly. “But I won’t leave you here! I’m taking you back no matter what!”

A fat zombie was dashing toward them at the same time, groaning and baring its teeth. But it was stopped just in a matter of seconds by Min Gyu’s vented fury. The tall guy smashed the undead monster’s head with unrestrained strength, causing it to burst into a gory spatter of bones, brains, and blood. And after he blinked and gazed down, he realized that he had broken the baseball bat too.

With violent emotions still stirring within him, Min Gyu tossed the broken bat away, snatched the blood-soaked axe from Jeong Han’s weak grasp, and then lowered himself in front of the blonde-haired guy with his broad back facing him.

Frowning, Jeong Han asked, “What are you doing?”

“Stop questioning me, hyung!” Min Gyu hissed. “Let’s continue our conversation once we’re safe!”

Jeong Han sighed resignedly and then moved to rest his weight entirely on Min Gyu’s broad and sturdy back. The tall guy stood up right after that, a murderous survival instinct kicking in.

“Hold onto me tightly, hyung.”

Min Gyu vigilantly began to move forward, making his way through the crowd of zombies that ran after them. Smashing, cutting, breaking whatever stood in the way, and at some point, he didn’t feel any fear. He kept glancing at the storage room and encouraging himself to keep fighting despite facing great difficulties. All he knew was if he stayed alive, he would somehow find his way back home.

Home.

And if there was no way, he would make a way.

A series of images along with a jumble of thoughts flashed through Min Gyu’s mind. His most treasured ones at home—they must have been worrying about him, waiting for him to return safely, wanting to see him. And he desperately wanted to see them too.

“Min Gyu…”

Busy fighting off zombies, the tall guy shortly replied, “What, hyung?”

“I have just realized…”

“What?”

“You and Hwang Jin Joo are pretty much alike...”

Min Gyu felt annoyance grow apace at that statement, saying, “What nonsense are you actually trying to say, hyung? If that won’t help, you’d better say nothing.”

“You two are foolish and stubborn motherers who seem to enjoy clinging to whatever that makes you suffer even more…” Jeong Han told the younger guy, ignoring his previous scolding. “Do you guys love hurting yourselves that much?”

“Sorry. I don’t get your points, hyung. But we’re not the same!” Min Gyu replied, his husky voice filled with animosity. “I’ll never bully anyone and toy with their life simply for the sake of personal pleasure! Just like what she did to—” His voice trailed off into an abrupt pause.

Min Gyu was clearly unwilling to finish his words. A sharp twinge passed through his heart, and driven by the unspoken pain, he went into beast mode and wildly cut down the zombies within his range of vision.

“Min Gyu—”

“in’ bullies,” Min Gyu curtly said, brushing the older guy off. “I hate people like her.

“So much that you won’t give her a chance to make amends for what she did?”

“She can do whatever she wants. But I won’t forgive her. Once a bully, always a bully.” Min Gyu quickened his steps toward the storage room. His eyes darkened. “Anyway, Jeong Han hyung. What’s the use of talking about this? What can she do now that she’s dead?”

Jeong Han fell silent, his breath caught in his throat. Both young men’s jaws clenched tight, and no more words were exchanged between them afterward. However, as the minutes passed, Min Gyu could feel the person on his back weaken and a sense of unease filled him. Much to his relief, Vernon and another male student unexpectedly sprinted out of the storage room to help clear the way for him, hitting and killing the ferocious undead creatures with long metal pipes that they found among unused things there.

As soon as the four of them got inside the stuffy and cramped place, Min Gyu put down the exhausted and bedraggled Jeong Han next to the unconscious policeman. But of course, they were all far from being safe. The ravenous mob of zombies chased after them and some managed to squeeze through the narrow gap with their arms and heads.

In the midst of terror and chaos, they had no choice but to defend the place and barbarically push the deadly monsters away, which were their last resorts, enduring all the disgust and fear as they slammed into those grotesque faces and crushed those reaching hands.

The bad news was, they were too outnumbered to hold out against the inhuman force.

And the door gap was getting wider and wider.

“! They keep coming!”

“We’ll die here! We’ll in’ die here!”

“The door is going to break! Help!”

“Do in’ something, anyone! Bring that desk here! Cabinet! Whatever! I can’t hold on any longer!”

But unfortunately, with so many ferocious and infectious undead creatures slamming themselves against the door and pushing their way into the storage room, those struggling behind the door couldn’t properly close it even after they used a big and solid desk to narrow the opening. And it was only a matter of minutes until they gave in and those monsters could finally break the door down.

Min Gyu heard the hopeless shrieks for help and dreadful sobs of people around him, but he forced himself to remain calm and rational, glancing around at the tired and fear-filled faces he knew—Jeong Han, Seung Kwan, Vernon, and Won Woo. But something in Won Woo’s unblinking eyes suddenly caught him unawares, and he turned his eyes again in the direction of the door. His heart skipped a beat the moment he saw a zombie heavily bang on the door and manage to slip half of its body through the narrow gap. And that wasn’t just another unnamed zombie.

That was Seo Yeon.

Or better to say, the dead body of Seo Yeon that had risen back to life with the inhuman instinct to tear them limb from limb.

“I’m sorry,” Min Gyu murmured, looking at the bob-haired and red-jacketed zombie.

Without hesitation, the unwearied tall guy swung his axe and cut off its head. Rotten blood spattered all over him and those near the slaughtering scene. The head rolled on the floor and then stopped in front of a female student. At that revolting sight, she immediately lost her balance and fainted.

Min Gyu, however, kept focusing on things in front of him and as soon as the headless body that got stuck between the door and the door frame stopped moving, he kicked it hard enough to knock back the zombies outside. And a second later, he managed to slam the door shut. Others quickly pushed a heavy wooden cabinet against the closed door, thus securing it from the unstoppable waves of zombie raids.

Five minutes. Ten minutes.

Fifteen minutes then went by without the faintest sign of hope.

Horrendous, growling noises still crowded around them. Getting louder even. Although the undead could no longer see the living, they kept banging on the barricaded door furiously as if knowing that their human targets were stuck inside and couldn’t escape anywhere.

Five men, including Vernon and Seung Kwan, now defended the door with all their strength, but the mad force outside managed to occasionally make the cabinet shudder and push them back. And the air had also become hot and stifling. The storage room was indeed too small for a dozen people in it.

In the midst of utter chaos, Min Gyu slumped down with his back against the wall, trying to take steady breaths to regain his composure. He unconsciously wiped his face with his right forearm, and for a while, he couldn’t see things clearly as blood got into his eyes. Won Woo approached the younger guy, wearing his habitual worried frown. Min Gyu told him reassuringly that he was alright, but he did seem so messed up. And in fact, no one was alright.

Min Gyu’s tired gaze then fell on a decapitated head on the floor and it remained there for quite a long time. The mouth was still hanging open, the horrifying red eyes glaring back at him. And then a dreadful stammer suddenly surprised him, snapping him out of his thoughts.

“Min Gyu… s-s-sunbaenim.”

A beautiful, browned-haired girl reached her trembling hand out to him, offering him a handkerchief. Park Da Mi.

“You may… u-use mine.”

Min Gyu didn’t immediately respond. Without a smile, he looked at her. But, after a sigh, his expression relaxed slightly and he accepted it. “Thanks.”

Woo Woo silently helped Min Gyu wipe the blood from his face and then used the same handkerchief to dress the wound on his left forearm. Park Da Mi could only watch the intimacy between them as a total outsider and a jealous spark ignited within her. Inconvenienced by the piercing, wanting stare, Min Gyu lifted up his head and darted an icy look at her. The ulzzang girl gasped in surprise and immediately moved back to where she previously stood in both fear and embarrassment.

Woo Woo glanced sideways at Min Gyu, intrigued by the strange air around him, and he needed no verbal explanation why the younger guy was suddenly in a bad mood. Min Gyu pressed his lips tightly together, pouting—an unconscious habit that he had whenever he felt wronged or was irked by something. It was when Won Woo intentionally tightened the handkerchief around Min Gyu’s arm with a sudden jerk that the younger guy’s expression changed from annoyance to a grimace of pain. They then looked at each other knowingly, saying nothing.

After Won Woo finished dressing the wound, loosening the knot a little bit, Min Gyu rose to his feet and walked to the other corner of the room where the unconscious policeman and Jeong Han leaned against the wall side by side. A sense of apprehension mixed with a feeling of helpless pity filled him as he silently checked Seung Cheol. Blood from his severed arm had permeated through the shirt that he wrapped around it, dripping down to pool on the floor beside him.

Min Gyu felt his heart constrict with aching worry. Despite still breathing, the policeman looked so lifeless that Min Gyu couldn’t tell if him staying human was better than him getting killed on the spot by the zombie infection.

“... is he... still alive?”

Min Gyu was startled by a hoarse voice that crept into his ear. “I guess so,” he replied somberly, shifting his gaze to Jeong Han who managed to stay conscious even though he couldn’t really open his eyes. “But I’m not sure how long he will live.” He in a deep breath, and when he spoke, his voice was low and trembling. “He’s literally dying.”

There was a dead silence inside the storage room.

“Jeong Han hyung.” Min Gyu turned his attention to the blonde-haired guy. “How are you feeling?”

“I don’t know...” Jeong Han shook his head and sighed dryly, eyes still closed. “... can’t feel anything at all.”

“Don’t worry, hyung,” said the younger guy. “You’re not bitten.”

Jeong Han blew a loud sigh and his eyes flicked open. “Thanks for telling me,” he muttered. His features were as pale as death, except the bloodshot eyes. He cast a glance at those guarding the door, and then he closed his eyes again feeling the dusty surface beneath him shake as the undead creatures kept trying to barge in. A small smirk tweaked at his lips. “How great it is to be alive,” he said—which was undoubtedly bitter sarcasm.

Min Gyu didn’t give him a reply. But he was about to stand up again and check the others’ condition when someone suddenly shrieked in terror.

And they were all petrified.

Little did they realize that there had been someone bitten by the infectious living corpse among them. The truth continued to be out of everyone’s sight and mind until that person suddenly began to transform. And when the transformation happened, it happened so fast that in the next blink of an eye, they were paralyzed with fear knowing that they now had nowhere else to run to. And a few seconds later, a blood-curdling scream of horror and agony of a girl was heard, piercing through the stifling air. So previously she—by pure instinct—tried to back away from the deadly threat. But unfortunately, she wasn’t fast enough. She was caught by a strong grip and next, her shoulder was bitten right in front of everyone’s eyes.

Damn it.

Won Woo managed to overcome his own fear and quickly seized a metal pipe. Without hesitation, he lunged in the direction of the rampaging newly-turned zombie and pierced it with the pipe in its chest. Raging, he then pulled the pipe out again and hit the ravenous creature in the face, crushing its mouth and thus stopping the biting. Unsurprisingly, it was still able to move and sure enough, Won Woo knew what to do next. The moment he was close enough to see the monster clearly, he struck with lethal precision. Repeatedly, mercilessly, furiously.

Blood splattered all over the place. Fragments of bone, brain, and flesh scattered as the dead body finally dropped with a loud thud.

And next, everyone turned their eyes to the unlucky girl.

“... p-please…” She sobbed out of immense pain, horror and despair, pressing a hand on the serious bleeding on her shoulder. “Please… help me…”

An impossible request.

It wasn’t her fault. But again, it was an impossible request. Min Gyu grimly walked in her direction, the blood-soaked axe poised in his hand.

“M-Min Gyu sunbaenim… no, please…” She kneeled before him, begging. “Please… don’t… don’t k-kill me…”

Min Gyu stopped and gazed down at her, his knuckles turning white. He was human too. And the pleading wrenched his heart, but was there any other choice? They could cut off bitten limbs, but what should they do to someone bitten on the shoulder?

It was a very depressing situation.

Now they were trapped in a dilemma. But the one and only right option had actually been at the front of their minds.

“PLEASE!!! HELP ME!!!” She bawled at them all of a sudden. And that noise definitely triggered the zombies outside to become even more frenzied. “I DON’T WANT TO DIE!!!”

Min Gyu slowly raised his axe and with an obvious look of anguish, he said, “Sorry.” And that was the only and last thing he said. A firm decision.

The girl was screaming and pleading hysterically, but everyone had turned their faces away in silence and unspoken guilt, leaving the hardest and dirtiest duty to the one holding the axe. Min Gyu held his breath for a moment as his heart clenched tight at the innocent girl’s frightened face. In the moment of hesitation, he stared down at her, battling the sympathy that stirred within him. And then suddenly he gasped, realization hitting him.

“Oppa. Min Gyu oppa.”

Min Gyu unconsciously lowered the axe blade, shaking hard. The scene before his eyes had changed to something others couldn’t see.

“Min Gyu oppa… I’m scared.”

What was real, what was not—Ming Gyu seemed to have lost the capability to tell them apart. A great and painful longing swept over him. “Min Ah-ya…” he murmured to himself, hot tears welling in his eyes.

I can’t do this. I can’t do this. I can’t do this.

A moment later, when Min Gyu finally regained his senses and returned to reality, he was shocked speechless at what he saw.

A blatant, murder scene.

The girl was lying on her back on the bloody floor. , struggling uselessly, kicking the air and clawing at the hands pressed against desperately. Neither could she scream nor break herself free from the person who was pinning her down, choking her life out—Won Woo. He was stone-faced, lips shut tight, voluntarily taking over the execution from Min Gyu.

Shutting down his sense of humanity, Won Woo sat astride her and ruthlessly tightened his squeeze around her neck as if wanting to break it. Gradually, her face reddened horrifyingly from lack of oxygen, pulsing veins bulging out on its surface. She continued to fight Won Woo off with all her might, scratching his hands with her nails and making them bleed, but he didn’t stop. And several minutes later, the girl had finally, completely, stopped moving. No longer breathing. Her hands turned limp and fell on her sides. Her eyes were wide open, but they didn’t blink anymore.

At last, she died a human—in Won Woo’s hands.

And from then on, there was only a dead silence inside the storage room as people stared at the motionless body of the murdered girl and Won Woo. Terror, grief, confusion, and a kind of sinful relief gripped their hearts.

Still tight-lipped, Won Woo shifted himself away from the corpse of a girl he had just killed, his head lowered. Whatever demon he summoned within him had disappeared, now leaving him empty and powerless. It was a heroic deed when one risked their own life to kill zombies and save others, but what was it when one cruelly ended the other’s life to survive?

“Min Gyu-ya.”

Guilt-ridden, Woo Woo turned his head to find the presence of the younger guy and looked up at him. His hands trembled violently. And he smiled at him, tears streaming down his eyes. He, too, seemed half dead with terror and unspeakable agony.

“I... killed someone.”

Min Gyu could feel his heart crushed at the sight of Won Woo breaking down. No words came out of his mouth. He pulled Won Woo further away from the corpses and hugged his shaking body tightly. An excruciating load of guilt pounded painfully in his chest when he heard the older guy’s suppressed sobs. Never did it cross his mind that his indecisiveness would cause someone he cared about to shoulder the sins alone. And he didn’t think he could forgive himself for that.

“... sorry, hyung.” Min Gyu remorsefully whispered an apology into the older guy’s ear. And he cried with him too. “I’m so sorry.”

A dreadful and gloomy silence reigned once more inside the storage room. The dead remained dead, but the living seemed like they couldn’t—and didn’t want—to live through such sufferings any longer. Heavy breathings, muffled cries, and unanswered prayers lingered around them.

In the uninterrupted moment of uncertainty, all they could do was wait. So they waited. And waited. And waited, helplessly. Until Vernon broke the despondent silence all of a sudden.

“I heard something,” Vernon said in a serious voice. “It’s coming in our direction.”

They looked at him in dreadful apprehension. And utter bewilderment. Other than the guttural moans and growls of the zombies outside, they couldn’t hear anything else. Could it be that Vernon had lost his sanity due to overwhelming shock and started hallucinating things?

But then, they were all tensed up. Vernon was, once again, right.

Their gazes shifted upward in unison as soon as they heard what he heard. Familiar sounds. Noisy swishes and buzzes of a rotary machine. They were getting louder and louder, almost deafening.

“Anyone who is still alive and trapped inside, hang in there!”

Something else was approaching them, flying overhead.

“Repeat. If you’re alive and can hear this, please stay calm and hang in there! We’re coming to your rescue!”