018

Untitled

 

 

 

“How are you not grilling me with questions?” Miyoung asked as Sehun joined her at the veranda, he grinned at her.

“I know you’ll talk once you’re ready.”

“Right.” She murmured, Sehun leaned against the railings and looked at her.

“I..understand why you left.”

She stilled, refusing to look at him. But Sehun continued talking.

“You were scared. We all were, Miyoung-ah. Seeing you there at the hospital, I…I didn’t know what to do. Growing up, you…you’ve always been that one constant..pain in the , and I was so worried~”

“Sehun-ah, please.” Miyoung mumbled, but Sehun shook his head.

“You have to hear this.” Sehun said, he saw Hyungwon join Jooheon and Eunyoung as the two played in the snow.

“I understand why you did that, that means I won’t question you. You…You must have had your reasons.”

Her forehead creased and she leaned against the railings.

“But to hide something like this, you must understand how your sister feels.”

“Ah, you’re here to mediate.” Miyoung said, wanting to switch topics.

“That won’t work today,” Sehun pointed out, the girl winced and looked away.

“She feels hurt because you couldn’t trust her enough to tell her about something big, Miyoung. You’re a mother now, and yet we never had a clue.”

Miyoung looked at her fingers and nodded.

“So, just give her some time. I already called her office and informed them that you would be helping her out.”

“Hey, she might just kick me out if I go there.”

“She won’t.” Sehun grinned at her, Miyoung shook her head.

“What now? You look like you have more to say.” Miyoung continued, Sehun’s eyebrows grew knitted together.

“I’m glad that you married well, you’re a mother now too. Congratulations.” Sehun said as he nudged shoulders with the girl.

“Yes, thanks.”

“But, are you happy?” Sehun spoke, Miyoung blinked and looked at him.

“What?”

“Nothing, let’s go get something warm to drink. It’s freezing out here.” Sehun said to her, he walked through the sliding doors and he chewed on his lower lip.

You don’t sound like you. You don’t smile like you. Not anymore.

 

 

 

Hyungwon sat on the pastel pink couch as Eunyoung climbed over the dollhouse, the whole thing was fitted for toddlers and Jooheon wasted no time to show her around the room.

“I’m sorry for reacting that way earlier, I’m not the mean abusive twin I seem to be.”

He turned, Minah was standing by the doorway, Hyungwon was about to stand but the girl sat down across him.

“I see she has everyone wrapped around her tiny finger now.” She said with a small smile, Hyungwon chuckled and nodded at her.

“I never saw you as abusive, I understand why you reacted the way you did. And in a way, I take fault in it too, I should have at least talked her into calling you or your parents.” Hyungwon said in his usual calm tone, Minah looked at him and stretched her palm.

“Well, let’s do this properly, brother-in-law, it’s Hwang Minah, I am seven minutes and five seconds older than your wife, also by fourteen milliseconds, but we don’t count that.” She said with a small chuckle, Hyungwon nodded and shook her hand.

“Chae Hyungwon.”

“Eunyoung is a very beautiful baby. I feel bad for not meeting her sooner.” Minah said, she looked at the toddler again. Eunyoung was screaming in glee as she went down the slide, Jooheon caught her and helped her up again.

“You don’t need to hold back, go ahead and ask me questions.” Hyungwon spoke up, Minah paused and turned to him.

“Alright.” She tilted her head before speaking.

“When did you two meet?”

“We lived in the same building, that time I was just starting the company. I believe she’d been living in New York for over a year during that time.” Hyungwon said, Minah nodded along.

“We became friends after running into a nearby bistro. I noticed she was alone most of the time, she told me about leaving Seoul for something..new.” Hyungwon trailed off, he glanced at Minah briefly.

“You asked her when we got married, huh?” Hyungwon said with a smile, Minah her lips and glanced at Eunyoung again, she noticed the necklace the child had on. It was in a white gold setting, but the pendant made her eyes widen briefly. The toddler was already wearing a diamond at her young age.

“Would it be considered rude if I also asked Eunyoung’s birthday and I calculated it?” Minah grimaced, Hyungwon laughed and shook his head.

“No. And yes, she was pregnant when we decided to tie the knot.” Hyungwon stated, Minah nodded, not knowing what else to say. She wasn’t expecting to get these answers from him so easily, the male seems so laid back. It frustrated her a little bit, but it also relieved her. Her sister had married a good man, and looking at Eunyoung, a great father too.

Daddy! How to do this?” Eunyoung came running to them, she smiled at Minah before reaching her father.

“Eunyoung-ah, we talked about this.” Hyungwon said with a loving smile as the girl climbed onto his lap.

“Why? What happened?” She asked, Eunyoungn grew sheepish before speaking again.

“Appa, how to do this?” She said in a slightly accented Korean, Minah broke into a small smile.

“Hyungwon doesn’t want her to just speak English, so he has a rule of conversing in Korean when they talk.” Miyoung said as she walked into the room.

“That’s good.” Minah replied, and then Hyungwon stood up.

“I’m sorry, but I have to excuse myself. I still have some calls to make to the office.” He said apologetically.

“Okay, go.” Miyoung said, he smiled before reaching over to kiss her left wrist.

“I’ll leave the Rover with you. It was nice meeting everyone.” Hyungwon said, Jooheon gave him a wave from the dollhouse’s second floor.

“Drive safely.” Miyoung told him, Eunyoung kissed her father’s cheek before running of the uncle Honey again.

Minah watched as her sister took the seat across her and she leaned forward.

“Sehun told me about my work arrangements, unnie. That’s if..you’ll still have me.”

“That’s out of the question, Lotte will always have you.” Minah said, she smiled at her sister.

“I guess I just needed some time to absorb everything, but I really am grateful you’re here, Young-ah.”

“I…I’m happy I decided to fly home.”

“And, it might be late, congratulations. You married a good man.”

“Hmmm, you’re saying this because of the sapphire set, huh?” Miyoung chuckled, but her sister knew she was joking.

“Partly, yes. I already issued a check for it, but whose name~”

“Don’t, unnie.”

“What?”

“Consider as a wedding gift. Your something blue.”

“Something that shouldn’t be given for free.” Minah balked at her, Miyoung shook her head and joined the two by the dollhouse.

 

 

 

Minah exhaled as she leaned back on the seat, she looked at the cup of coffee before her.

How did it end up like this?

It’s complicated and I’m stuck in the middle.

She looked up and saw her friend arrive in the coffee shop. She waved him over, Shownu smiled at her.

“I know you’re busy, but I feel bad.” Minah spoke as Shownu sat down before her.

“For what?”

“We keep on arranging to meet up and it gets cancelled. I mean…Miyoung wasn’t even back yet that time.” She murmured, hoping Shownu would understand.

“You mean, we don’t have to talk about her, and you just wanted to hang out?” Shownu asked, the girl nodded back.

“We always did have time to chat over things, sunbae. I…just don’t want that to change. I’m getting married in a couple of months, and I’d like to remain connected to my friends.” She continued, Shownu slowly nodded at her.

“And I am aware of how…things are with you and my sister. And, I…wont interfere with anything.”

“it’s not like you can do anything too, Minah. I heard it.” Shownu said in a light tone, Minah chewed on the insides of her cheeks.

“I’m sorry, sunbae. You had to find out that way, I..can only imagine how stunned you must have been.”

Shownu paused, his coffee arrived, and he picked it up.

“How is she?” He asked without meeting her gaze.

“She’s been doing well, I think. I guess, New York is a good fit for her. I also…met her husband, they came over at the house yesterday.”

“That’s good.” He said, Minah nodded and looked at her palms.

“What was the thing you wanted to talk about, sunbae?” Minah spoke, Shownu met her gaze and he shook his head.

“I already forgot about it.”

“Come on,” Minah mused and took a small sip from her drink, Shownu smiled at her.

“It was probably something about that company portfolio you sent me, I still am looking into it.”

“Right, you get the whole finance mumbo jumbo better, will I be too demanding if I ask you to email whatever discrepancies you find?

“No, anything for Hwang Minah. I know that you already have a lot on your plate with the wedding and the engagement party next week.” Shownu replied, MInah sighed and then she sat up.

“Right, I already told our organizer that you and Sera would be sitting together since you both are..arriving…together too.” She said to him, Shownu’s forehead creased briefly.

“A—Alright, that’s okay.”

“Sunbae,”

“Hmm?” Shownu looked at her, Minah paused and she chewed on her lower lip.

“Nothing, let’s order something to eat.”

 

 

 

“This one looks nice.” Miyoung said as she showed the sketch on her phone, Hyungwon nodded and took the devuce from her.

“Are you really sure about the launch? I mean, we aren’t even staying for long here.” She added as they crossed the street, she hooked arms with him.

“I am. It’s a good move.”

“But…this is Korea, H One.” She said meaningfully, Hyungwon glanced at her to see her face before speaking.

“You’re worried.”

“Not for me. For you.” She stated, Hyungwon smiled and shook his head.

“You don’t have to be.”

“By now, they must have already heard about you’re being back. I mean, even our old chief of staff already knows Eunyoung’s English name.”

He let out a low chuckled as they neared the coffee shop.

“They already called me last night. They…said I should come by and visit the house.”

“Are you going to?” She asked, Hyungwon held the door for her and shrugged.

“I don’t know. I have a lot of work to do. And like you said, we aren’t going to be here for a long time. I might as well get things done earlier for the launch.” He said, the couple made their way towards the counter and Miyoung checked the sandwiches.

“Do you want to share a turkey sandwich and a cream cheese bagel?” She asked him, Hyungwon nodded at her.

“Your usual?” He asked as he took out his wallet, the lady behind the counter could not help but stare at the gorgeous male.

“Please.” Miyoung replied, she walked away from the counter and searched for a vacant table.

“I know, I know. I had to call Sehun for a follow up on it, sunbae. It was crazy how delayed that was.”

Miyoung paused, recognizing her sister’s voice, she turned, and her eyes widened.

It was Minah, and the person seated before her was Son Hyunwoo.

“Miyoung-ah,” Minah spoke, her voice faltering a little.

“Unnie, oppa.” She heard herself speak, Shownu gave her a small nod.

“Are you alone? Out for lunch?” Minah asked, clearly unsure of what to do.

“No, Hyungwon’s paying over there. I’ll go get us a table.” Miyoung said, she noticed how Shownu was drumming his fingers on the table.

“You know what,” Minah cleared , Miyoung felt her stomach drop. Surely, her sister wouldn’t do that to her, right?

Have her share a table with Shownu and Hyungwon?

“W—What?”

“I can’t do this. You two can be awkward and weird around each other, that’s fine. You both have loose ends you need to fix, but that’s on you. I am getting married in a couple of months and I’d like for things to easy and I don’t want conflicts, so, I am going act as if nothing went wrong. You two can hate me later, but Miyoung, sit down.” She stated as she pulled the vacant chair beside her.

Why is she like this?

“Minah,” Shownu could only stare at the girl.

“Sunbae, people will notice if you two act like this during my wedding. And I’d like that day to be perfect. My best friend should be just his usual self. And my sister, should also be her usual self. Can’t I have that?”

Miyoung swallowed and she looked away, she was about to speak when Hyungwon appeared again, he had their tray of food in hand.

“Oh, Hyungwon-ah, join us.” Minah spoke, the male nodded at her, and then he glanced at Miyoung.

“I know I may get killed after this, but Hyungwon this is Shownu. We went to school together. Sunbae, this is Hyungwon, my brother-in-law.” Minah said with a small smile, Hyungwon nodded and stretched his hand to the male.

Shownu faced him and shook his offered hand.

“If you need an analogy, he’s like who Sehun is to Miyoung. To me.” Minah said as Hyungwon sat down.

“Ah, like a ride or die?” Hyungwon said lightly, Shownu diverted his gaze from their table, Minah swallowed before replying.

“Yes, like that.”

Miyoung pursed her lips and sat down beside her sister.

“I had them remove the tomatoes.” Hyungwon told her as he pushed her plate towards her. Minah pressed her palms together, she was starting to regret what she had just done.

“Then, did you attend the same university too?” Hyungwon turned to Shownu, Miyoung picked up her sandwich and started eating, her eyes went to her sister, but the older girl refused to look at her.

“Y—Yes, we did. Minah and I were in the swim team too.” Shownu politely said, Minah was about to chime in when a familiar voice joined them.

“Wow, no wonder why I wanted to cancel,” Sehun said as he neared them, Miyoung shot daggers at him with her eyes.

“Sehun-ah,”

“I could feel the awkwardness from the parking lot.” Sehun laughed before plopping down beside Miyoung.

“You feel me, Young-ah?” Sehun winked at her, Hyungwon blinked at the two.

“I hate you.” Miyoung stated under her breath, Shownu looked down and hid his smile.

“I know.”

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++