The Golden Child

ROOKIES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A shrill ringing of a phone disturbs the two people, man, and woman engaged in a heated make-out session by the couch.

Chanyeol lets out a small sigh and detaches himself from her vice-like grip. It was his phone that rang.

She’s calling, he frowned. She usually studies at this hour. Why is she calling all of a sudden?

“Hello?”

“Chanyeol,” Her voice sounded calm like she usually always does. His lips involuntarily twitch up.

“Hmm?” He hums in acknowledgment, loving the fact that she was calling him at such a random time. Normally, she would call it a day when they finish their dinner together.

“Chanyeol,” she calls again and this time he just smiles widely, ignoring the fact that another girl was watching him across the couch. “If you wanted to break up, you could have just asked me. Why would you sleep with a girl and ask her to come to tell me?”

What is she saying? “What?”

“You did not have to sleep around to let me know…” Her voice sounded weak, “You could have just told me.”

“What are you saying? You’re not making any sense?” Chanyeol felt dread climb up from his stomach towards his chest. What… why was his girlfriend saying all of those? He would not break up with her, no way!

She lets out a soft sigh. “One of your ladies came to me some days back and told me that you’ve been sleeping around with girls behind my back. I did not want to believe her but today I wanted to see you so I came around your dorm and I saw you with… um… another girl. Kissing.”

His heart dropped and came up like a furiously thrown tennis ball.

What… what has he done?

“You could have spared me the pain if you were bored with me,” She continued when he did not say anything. “It would have been better for us both. Now everywhere I go, people look at me with pity and I knew nothing about it.”

“No-I-Listen… I did not-I mean- that's not what-,” Chanyeol had not seen this coming, at all. What on earth was he supposed to do during such a time as this?

“I’m sorry,” He finally utters, dismay and panic written all over the three syllables. She had just received the wrong reports but his actions also have contributed to that and for that, he was sorry. “I am sorry Kwan. That’s not-It’s not… It’s… I am sorry.”

His breath was hitched on his throat and his mind went fuzzy with worry. What on earth is happening? This was not what was supposed to happen.

“It was good knowing you then, Park Chanyeol.”

A finality. Her voice had the grand finale voice in it and it made bile rise up on Chanyeol’s mouth.

“NO! KWAN NO!” He stands up and pulls a chunk of his hair with worry. “No. You can’t do that, please… I-I… I need you.”

A sigh is heard from the other side. “To do what exactly? Help you with your studies?”

“No… I… I like you Kwan, so much. I like being with you. You help me with everything. I-I need you.”

A pause. A roll of a nervous heartbeat.

“You need a babysitter for that, Chanyeol. Not a girlfriend.”

“Kwan… You can’t do this.” He sighed. “You’re… I’m the one who’s supposed to call it quits.”

“Really?” She scoffs. “Too bad I’m calling it quits. Bye.”

This time before he could reply, the phone beeps, and the call is cut.

Letting out streams of curses from his mouth, he nearly throws his phone but stops himself at the last moment.

“I messed up.”

“She broke up with you?” A cheerful voice interrupts him making him groan again. He forgot she was in here.

“Please leave… I’m not in the mood anymore.”

The girl had the nerve to scoff. “I heard you guys did not even touch each other on your three months of the relationship. You don’t even like her so we ended it for you. You should be happy.”

At that, he slowly lifted up his head to look at the girl before him. They were the ones who told him they will teach him how to make his girlfriend like him more and yet what was she saying?

“What did you just say?”

“It was obvious that she must have blackmailed you or something to date her so we ended it for you.”

“Blackmailed me?” He tilted his head menacingly at the girl making her eyes widen in fear although she tried to hide it with a smile.

“Y-yeah…” She stutters with a nervous chuckle. “Eh-every-every time you two are to-together, it- um… it seemed as though you um… looked uncomfortable.”

He smiled a little at that making the girl relax.

“Tell me,” He says walking up to her with the same smile, automatically making the girl stand up as well, “Why did you think I would have taken up the offer for these lessons if I was uncomfortable with her?”

She gulps. Despite his disarmingly sweet smile, his body was tensed. The way he gripped his phone looked dangerously tight.

“Um… I better go…” She says as she quickly collects her items. “I’ll call you once you calm down.”

She dashes out of the dorm room with bated breath speed walking towards the girl’s dorm with wide worried eyes.

“UNNIE!” She screams into her phone once she is inside her room. “I think we made a big mistake.”

 

* * *

 

It was probably midnight but she was out for a run, her thoughts too loud to let her get any sleep at all.

Her ‘boyfriend’ of three months had cheated on her so naturally, she had called it quits today and yet… it did not feel like she won, not like how she thought she would feel.

She stops to catch her breath and wipes the sweats away. At least she can run and practice more for the upcoming inter-college sports event. She had been selected for 100m and 300m race and that had been making her happy… until now.

She scoffs a little at how hurt she was feeling at the moment. Wasn’t she the same person who told herself that it wouldn’t hurt at all? Then why does her heart feels like it has been stung again and again by millions of bees?

Letting out a muffled scream, she continued her running ignoring her heart that was trying to tell her that maybe… maybe she liked Chanyeol a lot more than she thought.

She woke up late the next day and decided that she deserved a rest. After all, as an athlete, the most important thing was their body and she cannot have her body face any harm when she was just months away from the intercollege sports event. It was important for her to win that… extremely important.

But then she wakes up and attends the next class because Scholarships were the only thing that was keeping her afloat in this expensive university. Her parents would surely be unable to pay for a full amount, even if it was just for a semester. Her excellent track skills and her good grades had given her full scholarships but it keeps being updated every year.

So right now, she decided, as she took a seat in the front row so that she could focus better… she really has no time for relationships. It would only hinder her and her goals. Besides, relationships were not on her to-do list at all… it just came into it so now she was free… free to go on to her originality.

As per usual, it was mos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter