First Day of Work

Enigma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s just the first day of December and the whole town seemed to be all ready for Christmas and New Year celebration that the ornaments could be seen anywhere. The weather is cold and it was snowing yesterday. It was then marked as the first snow of the year.

A woman who was wearing a grey colored coat was seen coming out from a bus. The white blouse and black pants were hugging her body as it shows her petite figure perfectly. The wind was a little harsh that she couldn’t help but to keep on tidying her hair.

Looking up at the skyscraper building in front of her, she didn’t feel hesitate at all to enter that building. She walked towards the entrance casually and the moment she stepped into the building, she felt lost. It was huge and spacious but she doesn’t recognize any of those faces she sees here.

“Excuse me, I am looking for Kim Jong Kook-Ssi.” Said Ji-Hyo to the woman who’s on the receptionist section.

The receptionist girl gave Ji-Hyo an uneasy look and asked, “May I ask what do you have to do with our Sajangnim?”

Ji-Hyo heaved an awkward chuckle and brushed her hair casually to ease the awkwardness. She then answered, “I was told by him to come here.”

“Let me check if Sajangnim has list down his appointment with you. May I know what is your name?” The receptionist girl asked politely.

“Song Ji Hyo.”

The receptionist girl went through her monitor on her desk and she kept on scrolling back on forth but she couldn’t find such name in her boss’ guest list.

“Unfortunately, I can’t see your name here.”

Ji-Hyo’s brows narrowed and she started to feel uneasy. “Ye? Are you sure? Kim Jong Kook literally asked me come to his office.” She paused and looked at her surrounding for another time before she continued, “This is JK Airlines Headquarter Office, right? I am not coming to the wrong building, am I?”

The receptionist let out a friendly smile and said, “I am sorry, miss but in order to meet Sajangnim, you ought to make a proper appointment. I can help you to fill in the form.”

Ji-Hyo could feel her cheeks are reddened due to embarrassment because she sounds a little bit like a conman. “Ani. Kim Jong Kook asked me to come here. Nine in the morning. I am not lying to you.” She tried to defend again.

“There’s procedure we need to follow. I am sorry, miss.” The receptionist girl apologized and gave Ji-Hyo a polite bow. This company literally did a good job in training their employees. However, it’s not a big surprise since it’s an airline company that provides services and hospitality.

Ji-Hyo heaved a soft sigh and scratched her not itchy neck. Is Kim Jong Kook trying to mock her or fool her again?

“What are you doing here?”

The deep voice of a man made Ji-Hyo to lift up her face and the presence of him successfully made her lips to curl up into a smile.

“I thought that you are going to deceive me.” She said in such an energetic way.

Jong-Kook crossed both of his hands on his chest. He smirked and said, “Five billion Won is such an expensive price for just a secretary. What can you offer to me?”

“What do you mean?” Ji-Hyo asked back and followed by her puzzled expression.

Jong-Kook shook his head disbelief at the woman in front of him that he asked, “What degree do you hold? Which university did you attend? What is your expertise?”

Those question caused Ji-Hyo to lower down her head as nothing came out from her lips. It’s not that she doesn’t want to answer but she’s not sure on what to answer that her lips are pressed hardly against each other.

“Why aren’t you answering?” Jong-Kook added.

She should have guess it better that it might be not that easy to get such job in a big company. It seems like Kim Jong Kook has successfully mocks her again.

“Anyways, I don’t care as long as you can cope well. I believe you are not that stupid, aren’t you?” Said Jong-Kook again because he couldn’t get any answer from Ji-Hyo.

Ji-Hyo lifted up her head and starred at Jong-Kook for a while.

“Wae? Don’t tell me you that you still like me.” Said Jong-kook with his straight looking expression.

Ji-Hyo scoffed as she rolled her eyes and said, “I do not hold any degrees. Moreover, I have to get things straight that I do not like you. Not in past, not in present and will not be in the future.”

“You’re really a short-tempered person, Song Ji Hyo-Ssi. Anyways, assume that this is me paying back to each cups of banana milk you gave me during high school days. Although five billion Won is quite expensive for those milk.” Jong-Kook replied in a calmer manner.

 

Now that Ji-Hyo started to feel confuse whether she has to be grateful or regret by giving those damn milk to one of the most wanted guy on her high school days.

 

Eighteen years ago, 

Ong San High School, Seoul, South Korea.

 

The seventeen years old Song Ji Hyo was seen entering the indoor football field along with one of friend, Kim Yoo Jin. The stands area was swarming as it’s the final match for a friendship tournament between Cheong Ah High School and Ong San High School.

“Yoo-Jin ah, be quick. The match is starting soon.” Nagged Ji-Hyo to her friend who was tying her shoelace but it fact, the match has started since forty-five minutes ago meaning that it’s already the break time before they continued to the other halves.

“Chamkanman.”

Ji-Hyo’s eyes were darted at one spot and she pointed at a man who was doing a light stretching. She walked a few step closer so that she can witness the wonderful scene better. “Yoo-Jin ah, that’s him. Ong San’s prince.” Said Ji-Hyo in such an energetic tone.

Yoo-Jin shook her head disbelief at her own friend and said, “Yah, Song Ji Hyo. Wake up. He’s never gonna look at you.” Her eyes stopped at the two cups of banana milk on Ji-Hyo’s hand. “You are just wasting your money, for God sake.”

“It’s fine. It’s just how I show my support towards him and-“

Yoo-Jin cut her friend immediately. “But he doesn’t even know your name or who you are.” She spilled the ugly truth. “It has been almost a year that you kept on giving him that damn milk each time he has a match.”

Ji-Hyo heaved a soft sigh before replying, “It’s not that I am hoping for him to like me, Yoo-Jin ah. I am just supporting him and our school’s football team.” She paused and glanced at her school’s football team with an admirable gaze. “They are an all-star team.”

“But still, the one that you like is Kim Jong Kook. Gosh, what about his best friends? Cha Tae Hyun and Jang Hyuk are part of the team too but the one that you gave that damn milk is just Kim Jong Kook.”

Ji-Hyo chuckled lightly and said, “I don’t know, Yoo-Jin ah. Besides, I do not expect anything. It’s just that I want to do it. Everyone has that one person that they admire, right? And I know yours happen to be Ki Tae Young.”   

Yoo-Jin finally smiled and blushed in embarrassment. “Ani. Tae-Young oppa definitely shows his interest towards me while Kim Jong Kook doesn’t even know that you exist. Do you know that he has a girlfriend?”

“What?!” Ji-Hyo squealed in surprise.

Yoo-Jin chuckled and said, “Look! She’s handing him an isotonic drink.” She pointed at the player’s rest area that’s located on the edge of the field. She’s right. Kim Jong Kook was smiling widely when he received that bottle of an isotonic drink from a girl who they barely knew.

Ji-Hyo’s smile faded for a while and Yoo-Jin started to feel guilty.

“Yah. I didn’t mean to make you feel disappointed.” Said Yoo-Jin.

Ji-Hyo shook her head and replied, “It’s not that I’m disappointed, Yoo-Jin ah. What am I to be disappointed? Like you said, he doesn’t even know my name.”

“Good. Besides, it’s their senior year. You won’t be seeing him anymore next year. I bet there will be much more attractive guys aside from them.”

Ji-Hyo glanced at the two bottles of banana milk on her grip and decided to just give one of it to Yoo-Jin instead.

“Mwo? You are giving it to me? I thought it’s for Kim Jong Kook.” Said Yoo-Jin, surprised.

Ji-Hyo nodded and inserted the straw on the banana milk. “Kim Jong Kook doesn’t need these milk anymore. I will just drink it by myself.”

Since that day, she promised to not giving any banana milk to Kim Jong Kook anymore and probably she won’t be having crush on him anymore.

 

On the other side

 

“Jong-Kook ah!” Cha Tae Hyun called for his best friend who just walked out from the field since the first halves has passed.

Jong-Kook turned to Tae-Hyun and said, “Mwo? Aren’t you going to have some water at least?”

Tae-Hyun put his hand casually on Jong-Kook’s shoulder. “I wonder why is Cheong Ah’s team getting stronger from time to time. I remembered that they barely score a goal last year.”

“That’s what you call development, mong cheong ah. Fifteen minutes pass so fast. Use it wisely.” Jong-Kook replied and looked around before questioning, “Where is Hyuk?”

“I heard he’s having digestion problem these few days. What a bad timing.” Said Tae-Hyun before stopping his eyes at a girl who’s waiting on the front row of the audience seat.

“I thought your banana milk girl is coming but I guess I am wrong.” Tae-Hyun added when he saw that girl waved her hand at Jong-Kook.

Tae-Hyun widened his eyes when he realized that Jong-Kook also waved his hand to that girl and followed by a wide smile.

“Mwo? What is this?” Tae-Hyun mumbled on his own when he saw Jong-Kook received an isotonic drink from that girl and he questioned again, “I thought it’s supposed to be that banana milk girl?”

“It was such an impressive game, oppa. I am rooting for our school’s win.” Said the girl in a friendly tone.

Jong-Kook that girl’s hair gently and replied, “Thank you.”

While Jong-Kook chatted with that girl, Tae-Hyun felt like he couldn’t believe what he was seeing until Hyuk came to the scene.

“Why are you looking so dumbfounded like that?” Hyuk asked.

Tae-Hyun turned to Hyuk and began asking, “I thought he’s into that banana milk girl?”

Hyuk giggled and replied, “You mean Song Ji Hyo? The girl who’s on her first year?”

“Keurae. She literally waited for us until we finished our practice just to give that pabo two cups of banana milk. She’s pretty fine in my ey

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter