mazagran.

dear donghae (i love you)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
MAZAGRAN. chapter sixteen  

Hyukjae is almost caught off guard by how quickly things go back to a chaotic sort of routine after their short trip. Everyone has their respective internships for the summer; Siwon and Donghae working at the same law firm and the rest of them managing to score a position at Seoul National University Hospital. Luckily (or unluckily for Ryeowook), positions and scheduling is done alphabetically by the first name, so he, Yesung, and Kyuhyun have the same shifts for the summer.

The only downside is that their shifts have no real rhyme or reason, making it difficult to find time to spend with Donghae. They have a few nights a week where they’re both free, but otherwise, the time they have together is far and few in between.

Hyukjae hates having to work weekends because it’s the days that Donghae has off. 

He’s currently lying on one of the couches, taking a break, and lamenting that he can’t spend his Saturday afternoon going on a date. With his boyfriend. Who he misses very much.

Hyukjae groans, picking up his phone. He’s about to scroll through his Instagram (where his own profile has been taken over by pictures of Donghae, but who can blame him, he’s young and in love) when a text from Donghae comes in. 

lovely 💙: Are you free for lunch right now?

Hyukjae smiles dopily at the text for a second before he responds.

hyuk: yeah, today's pretty slow

As soon as he sends the text, his phone rings and Donghae's cute smiley selca from when he had first gotten Donghae's number fills Hyukjae's screen. Hyukjae smiles helplessly at the picture for a second before he swipes to answer. Donghae's face pops up on the screen and Hyukjae smiles widely as a response to seeing his boyfriend's lovely face.

"Hey babe," Hyukjae says.

"Hyukkie!" Donghae says. "I was planning on making you lunch if you were free. You're okay with that, right? I wasn't too sure about the rules or your schedule."

"Yeah, that would be amazing, babe," Hyukjae says.

"Hey, Hyukjae—Oh, am I interrupting you?" Hyukjae looks up to see Taeyeon, a fellow intern Hyukjae's gotten quite close with, slip into the room. 

"Oh, I, uh, yeah," Hyukjae says, a little flustered. "Give me a second, okay, babe?"

Taeyeon's face twists into a mix of confusion and horror until Donghae's voice comes over the phone.

"Okay, Hyukjae," Donghae says and understanding dawns on Taeyeon's face.

"Oh my god, is that your boyfriend?" she squeals. Hyukjae grimaces, both at the note her voice hit at the end of the question and also at his mind flashing back to every embarrassing moment he’s mentioned Donghae like the whipped son of a he has become. “Donghae? Light of your life, most beautiful person in the world, Donghae?”

Hyukjae lets out a low, embarrassed noise as Donghae laughs.

“Shut up, please shut up,” Hyukjae says, addressing both of them at once. Taeyeon gives him a sweet, faux-innocent smile as she walks over, sitting next to Hyukjae. She moves closer to him so she’s in the frame.

“Hi Donghae!”

Donghae smiles at her, the kind that causes his eyes to sparkle and his teeth to be fully on display. He looks adorable and Hyukjae feels his chest squeeze a little at the sight.

“Hello Hyukjae’s friend,” Donghae says and Taeyeon coos.

“I’m Taeyeon,” she says.

“Nice to meet you,” Donghae says. 

“Hyukjae was right, you’re so cute,” she says. “Anyway, I had just come in to ask if you were working with Dr. Shin tomorrow or if that was just me.”

“I am,” Hyukjae says. Taeyeon nods. 

"Yeah, that's all I wanted, I'll leave you to it," she says. "It was nice meeting you, Donghae!"

Donghae waves at her. 

Hyukjae waits until she leaves before he turns his attention back to his phone.

"What was it you were saying?"

"I want to cook lunch for you," Donghae says. "What do you want to eat?"

"Anything you want to cook," Hyukjae says and Donghae pouts. 

"I want to cook what you want," he says. Hyukjae chuckles, thinking about what he wants to eat.

"Well I have been craving kimbap," Hyukjae says. Donghae beams.

"Perfect! I knew that already. I'll be there soon. Yesung and Kyuhyun are working with you today, right? I can make some for them too," Donghae says.

"So you're going to spoil all of us, babe?" 

"Spoil?" 

"Nevermind."

"Okay then," Donghae says. "I'll be there in fifteen minutes, does that work for you guys?"

“Yeah, that’s fine, babe,” Hyukjae says. “I’ll see you soon then?”

“Yup, I’ll see you!” Donghae says, blowing him a kiss before hanging up. The kiss catches him off guard, leaving him a little flustered and flushed. He takes a second to compose himself before he goes in search of Yesung and Kyuhyun. Luckily, he finds both of them down in the cafeteria, hunkered down in the corner with a cup of coffee.

“Hey,” Hyukjae says, taking a seat with them. “Donghae said he’s making us lunch. Kimbap.”

Kyuhyun’s eyebrow shoots up. 

“Really?” he says. “Nice of him.”

“Oh hell yeah,” Yesung says, leaning back on his chair and stretches. “Your boyfriend’s a saint.”

“Oh I know,” Hyukjae says. “I’m very lucky.”

“Who would have thought," Yesung muses. "Some random guy walks into the coffee shop you work at and he turns out to be the love of your life."

Hyukjae smiles and he knows he looks like an absolute idiot but he can't bring himself to care.

"Who would have thought indeed," he says. He swipes Yesung's coffee and takes a sip, grimacing at the taste. Hospital cafeteria coffee never fails to taste like absolute crap. As he drinks, his phone buzzes in his pocket and he takes it out. 

lovely 💙: I'm out front!

"Lovely?" Yesung reads incredulously. "Wow."

"Shut up," Hyukjae says. “I’m going to bring him up to the break room, meet us there?”

“Yeah,” Yesung says, grabbing his coffee back and downing it. “Let’s go.”

“Do you think Donghae would want some coffee?” Kyuhyun asks as they head out. Hyukjae levels him a flat stare.

“You want Donghae to drink that?” 

“Good point,” Kyuhyun says, tossing the cup into a passing trash can. They go their separate ways at the stairs, with Kyuhyun and Yesung heading up and Hyukjae turning to get to the front. He exits the building and finds Donghae standing by one of the columns over to the side. Hyukjae heads over, pulling Donghae into a hug.

“Hello,” Donghae says. Hyukjae pecks his boyfriend on the nose.

“Hello, babe. Come on, I’ll bring you to our break room and we can eat together, yeah?” 

“Okay,” Donghae says, beaming at him. Hyukjae takes his hand and they head up to the breakroom. Kyuhyun and Yesung are already settled on the couches. 

“Hey Hae,” Kyuhyun says as Donghae puts the bag of food down on the table in front of the couch.

“Hey,” Donghae says as he settles onto the couch between Yesung and Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun immediately pulls him close so that he's hugging Donghae like a teddy bear. Hyukjae frowns.

Kyuhyun smirks at him.

But Donghae doesn't seem bothered, looking relaxed and pliant in Kyuhyun's hold, so Hyukjae lets it go. He's a little miffed that he doesn’t get to cuddle with his boyfriend during his break, but he’ll be seeing Donghae tonight and he’ll have all the time in the world then. So he supposes he can let Kyuhyun do what he wants, especially since Donghae looks happy enough. 

He kneels down and takes out the lunch Donghae made, which looks delicious. He splits the pieces of kimbap for each of them before he sits on the floor in front of Donghae, his back resting on the coffee table and facing his boyfriend. His legs are tangled with Donghae’s as they eat.

"This is really good, Hae," Kyuhyun says as he eats, patting Donghae's head. Donghae giggles.

“I’m glad,” he says. 

Hyukjae picks up one of the pieces of kimbap and holds it out to Donghae. Donghae slips out from Kyuhyun’s hold and takes it, the bite comically large in his mouth.

Hyukjae reaches out and catches some of the rice that ends up falling out of Donghae’s mouth. He eats it without thinking about it and looks up at Kyuhyun, who’s frowning at them.

“You guys are disgusting,” Kyuhyun says, but he pulls Donghae back into his arms as he says so.

“I mean, it’s what I’ve been saying for so many months, I’m glad someone else has finally caught on,” Yesung says.

“ off,” Hyukjae says. “You’re just jealous that I’m happy and in love.” 

“Mm, no, try again,” Yesung says. 

“You’re jealous that I get the last piece of kimbap,” Hyukjae counters and Yesung’s eyes widen, glancing over at the empty container.

“Dirty,” he says. “You play so dirty.”

“I can make more for you guys next week,” Donghae says, standing up and repacking up the containers spread across the table. 

“Really?” Hyukjae says, not really caring how hopeful he sounds. Donghae grins.

“Yeah,” he says, pecking Hyukjae on the cheek. 

“Ugh,” Yesung says. “Save your sappiness for later, please. Hyukjae, we have rounds in a bit.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Hyukjae says. “Go first if you’re so pressed.”

Yesung rolls his eyes. “Don’t be late.”

“Yeah, I got it, Yesung,” Hyukjae says. When Yesung and Kyuhyun have left, Hyukjae leans in and gives Donghae a proper kiss.

“Do you know the way out?” Hyukjae asks and Donghae nods. He checks his watch. “I can afford to walk you to the elevator, you can find the exit from there?”

“Yup,” Donghae says, so Hyukjae does exactly that, navigating through the maze-like halls. It had taken him a whole week to actually familiarize himself with the twists and turns to get to places on time when he’d first started working.

“I’ll see you tonight,” Hyukjae says when they get to the elevators. “We can have pizza?”

"Sounds good," Donghae says and Hyukjae offers Donghae a gentle smile. He waits until the elevator has come and gone before he turns around and jogs off to join Kyuhyun and Yesung for their next rounds.

When Hyukjae gets off work, he stops by at his favourite pizza shop, getting a small pizza with Donghae’s preferred toppings and a medium one with his preferred toppings. He texts Donghae as he gets to Donghae’s house and the front door swings open a few seconds later.

Donghae takes the pizza from him and Hyukjae kisses him on the cheek as he walks inside. 

“Heechul and Leeteuk are out tonight,” Donghae says.

“Did you kick them out?” Hyukjae teases.

“Heechul has a business trip and Leeteuk went with him.”

“I see. What does Heechul do anyway?” Hyukjae asks as he removes his shoes. 

“He’s a fashion designer,” Donghae says. It’s not really what Hyukjae had been expecting, but at the same time, he’s not particularly surprised. 

“He’s a fashion designer and he lets you walk around permanently in sweatpants and oversized sweaters?” Hyukjae jokes. Donghae pouts.

“They’re comfortable,” he protests and Hyukjae ruffles his hair. 

“And you look very cute in them too,” he says. Donghae’s eyes narrow at him.

“You bet I do,” he says and takes the pizza away, leaving Hyukjae laughing in the front foyer. Hyukjae tucks his shoes to the side before he follows Donghae into the dining room. Donghae already has plates set out and slices of their respective pizzas ready, as well as two cans of coke.

"You remembered what I like," Donghae says. Hyukjae chuckles.

"It was so heinous, how could I forget?" he says. "Let me try it hot this time. It might be better."

Donghae surrenders his slice and Hyukjae takes a tentative bite. It's not as bad as he remembers and it's definitely because it's fresh.

"Well?"

"Not… bad," Hyukjae says. "I would never order it though."

"Mm, that's fine," Donghae says.

"Do you want some of mine?" Hyukjae says. Donghae grimaces but opens his mouth. Hyukjae holds out his pizza and Donghae chomps down on it. He chews for a bit and then shudders.

"It's so greasy," Donghae says.

"It's pizza, babe," Hyukjae says and Donghae shakes his head.

"No thanks," he says. "What do Yesung, Kyuhyun, and Ryeowook like on their pizza?"

"Oh man, Ryeowook is a freak," Hyukjae says. "He likes anchovies, it's the worst."

It never comes up when they order together because Ryeowook thankfully knows that no one else likes anchovies. 

Donghae grimaces.

"Ew."

"Right?" Hyukjae says. "Yesung is pretty basic with pepperoni and Kyuhyun basically likes the same toppings as me."

"Siwon only likes cheese," Donghae says. "But then again, he likes black coffee, so I'm not really surprised."

It's not surprising to Hyukjae, either.

"Oh my god, speaking of coffee, Kyuhyun tried to bring you hospital coffee. Which is traumatizing. You should be glad I stopped him," Hyukjae says, basking in Donghae's laugh. From there, the conversation shifts easily to Hyukjae's day as they eat. Hyukjae is amazed that Donghae manages to finish his entire pizza. 

"Full?" Hyukjae asks as Donghae clears off the last bite.

"Stuffed," Donghae confirms after swallowing. Hyukjae brushes a crumb off the corner of his mouth before planting a kiss there.

"Good," he says. Donghae nods.

"I'll clean up. You go and shower," he says. His nose crinkles. "No offence, you smell like a hospital."

"As you wish, babe," Hyukjae says, bopping Donghae on the nose and heads off to the bathroom. He gives himself a sniff as he undresses and grimaces.

Donghae is absolutely correct—he reeks of antiseptic.

He takes the much-needed hot shower, scrubbing himself thoroughly before he heads to Donghae's bedroom. His boyfriend is already sitting on the bed, tapping away on his phone. When Hyukjae joins him, Donghae is quick to put his phone away and roll on top of him, moving so that their noses are touching.

"Hi," Donghae says, giggling softly.

"Hi," Hyukjae says back, feeling a little breathless. "Kiss me?"

"Of course," Donghae says, sealing his lips over his. Hyukjae's hand automatically moves to cup Donghae's jaw. Hyukjae presses his tongue against Donghae's lips, silently asking for permission. Donghae answers by opening his mouth.

Hyukjae's other hand lingers at the small of Donghae’s back as he deepens the kiss. He revels in the sweet taste of Donghae on his tongue, the heat of Donghae’s body as well as the weight of the man on top of him. Hyukjae is flying high, feeling light-headed, swept away by the bliss of all the sensations he’s experiencing.

He slips his hand under Donghae’s shirt, desperate to feel more of Donghae, more of Donghae’s skin, more of his everything.

But the moment Hyukjae touches the soft skin of Donghae’s lower back, Donghae gasps.

“No, stop,” Donghae chokes out, his entire body tensing as he grabs onto Hyukjae’s hand, pulling it away. Donghae moves off of him, scrambling upright, his grip on Hyukjae's wrist still tight. He’s staring at Hyukjae with wide, panicked eyes.

“I—I don’t—can we—” Donghae sputters. Hyukjae gets the gist of what his boyfriend is trying to convey, so he quickly pulls his wrist free and puts some distance between them.

“Try and take deep breaths, okay Donghae?” Hyukjae says softly and Donghae nods, taking a few shaky breaths. “Feeling better?”

Donghae looks up at him, his lower lip trembling for a few seconds before he bursts into tears. Hyukjae inhales sharply, unsure of what to do. 

“Do you… do you want me to leave?” Hyukjae asks tentatively and Donghae shakes his head vigorously, tears still flowing rapidly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter