One Last Romance 3: Hyukjae

One Last Romance

Chapter Three:

 

“I’m back,” Hyukjae announced as he entered the room again and headed over to the chair next to Donghae’s bed.

“That’s good. I thought I might have to go and find you,” Donghae grinned mischievously.

Was he making jokes? Damn, he really was adorable.

“I can just imagine what the nurses would think when you wandered out there flashing your backside.”

Donghae’s mouth fell open, then he smiled and started laughing. “I guess I forgot about that part. I have a nice backside though, right?”

Not that Hyukjae had any idea, but he had checked out Donghae’s body and it was probably a decent assessment. “You have a very nice backside.”

“I bet you do, too.”

“I’m a bit on the skinny side, especially compared to you.”

“Am I fat?” Donghae’s face took on a shocked expression, or at least his mouth did, and he lifted his hand to feel his stomach, asking, “I’m not, am I?”

“No, you’re not,” Hyukjae replied, amused.

“Not that there’s anything wrong with it. I just… I feel like I really tried to take care of myself. Did I?”

“You workout a lot,” Hyuk was able to answer easily. Just looking over Donghae’s muscles was proof of that. “Aside from the coffee addiction, I’d say you take really good care of yourself.”

“Sorry, I know I’m asking a lot of questions. It’s just… I have certain feelings, like I don’t remember anything, but I still have a sense of who I might have been sometimes? Does that make sense? Like I felt like I really liked music, and when I was listening to it, I recognized songs and stuff. And I feel like I enjoy exercise and sports, but I don’t remember doing it. That’s weird, huh?”

“Not at all,” Hyukjae assured him, even as he worried it was a sign that the man’s memory might be returning quickly. “You remember how to speak. You remember what things are. You just can’t remember your actual actions.”

“Amnesia is super weird.”

“I agree.”

“I wish I remembered you.”

“You’ll remember everything soon, I’m sure of it.” He hated even saying the words out loud, though he wanted the best for the man and hoped he would recover.

“This is just scary, sitting here in darkness, not knowing who anyone is. If I were just blind and could remember, it would be one thing. Or if I couldn’t remember but I could see? But both things together, I feel so lost. If you weren’t here, I don’t know what I would do. I’m so glad you’re able to stay with me.”

“Would it help if I told you what I looked like? Or would that be strange, too?”

“Can you? Can you tell me what I look like, too?”

“Sure,” Hyuk was a bit surprised by the request, but asked, “Who should I describe first?”

“Um… me?”

“Okay, you’re about… 173 centimeters tall, and—”

“I’m so short!” Donghae whined, pouting with disappointment.

“No, you’re fine. And besides, I’m only a few centimeters taller.”

“Oh? That’s good then,” the smile returned, “That means when we hug it isn’t awkward.”

“Exactly,” Hyukjae breathed out, imagining how lovely it would be to hug the man.

“What else?”

“You’ve got dark brown hair, it’s a bit long and shaggy right now, but it’s still attractive. Beautiful eyes that squish up into crescents when you smile, which you do a lot. You have a really nice smile, by the way.”

“Do I?”

“I mean, it’s always been mesmerizing, but now that it’s the only part of you I can really see, I’m constantly amazed at how pretty your mouth is.”

Donghae took the compliment quietly, his lips moving with uncertainty as he nibbled at the lower one. “You like my mouth?”

“I do,” Hyukjae heard the longing in his own voice and squeezed his eyes shut for a moment to try and bring back some sense of reality.

“What about you?”

“Me? Well, I’m pretty slim. Not that muscular, at least not like you. My hair is black, and my eyes are dark brown. I have kind of a goofy smile.”

“How?”

“I have a habit of smiling a bit too much and then my gums show. I used to get embarrassed by it when I was younger.”

“I bet it looks good.”

“Well, I stopped caring what other people thought about it. If I’m happy I just laugh, and they can like it or not.”

“Could I…” Donghae hesitated, as if he were rethinking whatever idea he was about to voice.

“Could you what?”

“Could I touch you? Your face?”

“Sure?” Hyukjae wasn’t sure, but what harm could come from it?

He saw Donghae’s good hand lift from the bed, but it wavered a little. “You may have to help me. I can guess where you are by your voice, but…”

“Okay.”

He gently took Donghae’s hand and cradled it with his own, leaning closer so that he could touch the other man’s fingertips to his skin. And then he let his own hand drift down so that it was barely holding Donghae’s in place, allowing the slightly calloused pads to explore his face. They made a feathery trail across his forehead and eyebrows first, then traced the shape of his eyes, moved across his cheeks to his nose, then back down to his jaw. Making a path across his jawbone, they caressed Hyukjae’s chin, and then moved up, finally, to his mouth.

He had opened his eyes as soon as Donghae was done touching them, and couldn’t help but stare at the man, his tongue peeking out between his lips as he concentrated hard on learning the face of the person he thought he loved. And Hyukjae couldn’t control his breathing, or the desire that sparked deep inside him, as the delicate motions touched him so innocently. Especially once they reached his mouth and a single finger traced the shape of his lips, not once, but repeatedly, as if testing the softness.

“Thank you,” Donghae whispered.

“You’re welcome.”

“I bet I really liked kissing you.” Donghae’s voice came out sounding almost as breathless and aroused as Hyukjae was currently feeling.

It was insane, and he knew he shouldn’t be letting himself feel this way, but he asked, “Would you like me to remind you?”

For a moment Donghae froze. Then his lips tilted upward, and he gave a slight nod. “Yes, please.”

Well ! He was really going to do this, wasn’t he? Donghae was waiting, his lips parting and closing slightly, anticipating a kiss. Pushing up from the chair, hating how weak he felt, Hyukjae carefully braced himself with a hand on either side of Donghae’s body, and brought his face closer to the other man’s.

He was going to kiss a stranger. A man who didn’t even know who he was. A man who had an actual boyfriend, who wasn’t Hyukjae. Yes, yes, he was. He was going to do it.

As gently as possible, he pressed their lips together. The first touch was tentative, a mere hint of connection. But Donghae didn’t freeze or try to pull away, so Hyukjae did it a second time, pleased when Donghae’s lips puckered up to return the gesture. Moving away slightly, so that their breath was steaming up the minute space that separated them, Hyukjae wished he could see the rest of Donghae’s face. Even if Donghae couldn’t see him, he would have an expression that was easier to read than only his mouth.

That was when he felt the pull at the front of his sweatshirt, and realized Donghae had grabbed him with his one good hand, and was tugging him back in.

And their third kiss was a real one. Both of them engaged, puckered up and feeling for the other. It wasn’t a lustful kiss at all. There was no tongue, no mixing of saliva, just a searching moment, especially on Donghae’s end. When they broke apart again, slowly, Hyuk could feel the tender skin of their lips stick for a moment, and it was one of the iest things he thought he’d ever done in his life.

Donghae’s thin lips widened into a rather blissful smile as he sank back into the pillow. “I was right.”

“Were you?” Hyukjae managed to reply, unable to take his eyes off the beautiful sight.

“Kissing you is really nice.”

“I’m positive that kissing you is even nicer.”

“I hope so. I’d like to do it again. A lot.”

“Then you should hurry up and feel better. Right now, I’m a bit worried I might hurt you because of all those bandages.”

“Is it ugly?”

“It’s not ugly. Just a little scary.”

“I’m sorry,” Donghae’s mouth turned down again. “I’m sorry I scared you.”

“You don’t scare me. But you were hurt pretty bad, and I want to be careful.”

“Were you worried about me?”

“Hearing that someone you love had an accident is terrifying,” Hyukjae said honestly, remembering how awful he’d felt years before when Sora had been involved in one. All the family had known was that she had fallen down some stairs and been taken to the hospital. It wasn’t until they got there that they learned she had only broken her ankle and banged up her elbow. It had been one of the longest, anxiety-fraught car rides of his life wondering how severely injured she might be.

“I’m really sorry, Hyukjae.”

“It’s okay. And you’re going to be fine. I’m not worried anymore.”

And he wasn’t. Doctor Park wasn’t a man to give false hope. If he said Donghae should make a full recovery, Hyukjae believed him.

Before he could say much more, however, the evening nurse came into the room, followed by the doctor doing nightly rounds. Hyukjae had a moment of panic before the nurse, another one of his favorites, winked at him and flashed him a sign, waving at him to move to his bed while the Doctor checked Donghae’s vitals.

As he retreated to his own space, he watched and listened carefully, but nothing that transpired between patient and doctor sounded unusual. Donghae answered all the questions honestly. As they were engaged in conversation, Nurse Kang tiptoed over to Hyukjae.

“Don’t worry, Nurse Kim filled me in. I told Doctor Li as well.”

“What did you tell him?” Hyukjae whispered, still watching Donghae.

“That you were helping distract Mister Lee so he wouldn’t be scared since he couldn’t remember anything. Are you feeling all right, Hyukjae?”

“I’m okay. A little tired.”

“We’ll check you in the morning, then. He’s going to give Mister Lee a sedative, so he’ll sleep through the night. Make sure you get some rest, too.”

“I will. Thank you.”

“So, Donghae-ssi, this will allow you to rest without any pain,” the doctor was saying as Hyukjae returned his attention to the other bed.

“But I don’t want to sleep yet.”

“Unfortunately, it’s doctor’s orders. You need rest so that you can heal. And visiting hours will be ending soon, so your friend would have to leave anyway.”

“Okay,” Donghae agreed, sadly.

Hyukjae held his tongue until the others had finished and left, both wearing smiles as they saw Hyukjae returning to the chair next to Donghae’s bed. He smiled back before they exited the room, then took Donghae’s hand and held it.

“He’s right, though. They’re going to kick me out for a while. But I should be able to stay until you fall asleep. And I promise I’ll be back first thing in the morning, maybe even before you wake up.”

“Will you?”

“Absolutely. So, don’t be scared, okay? Even if you wake up and I’m not here yet just call for the nurse and I should be here soon.”

“I’ll try.”

“You just have to think happy thoughts.”

“But I don’t really have many,” Donghae frowned.

“You can think about me. About our taco date, and ice cream, and kissing.”

“Those are nice,” he replied with a happy sigh. “Can you tell me more things before I fall asleep? So I can have those to think about, too?”

“What would you like to hear?”

“Can you… can you tell me how we met?”

“How we met?” . Hyukjae was no great storyteller. How was he going to fake his way through what would normally be one of the fondest memories for a regular couple? “I guess so.”

“It’s a good memory, isn’t it? We didn’t dislike each other or something, did we?”

“What? No, of course not. It’s just kind of silly.”

“I like silly. Please, Hyukjae?”

“Well, it was a really nice day, and I was supposed to meet up with a friend to have lunch, but he called and said he was hung up.” So far so good. He remembered a day like that where his supposed best friend had cancelled on him last minute because some girl he liked wanted to go shopping together. He had skulked around the park in a bad mood and gone home planning a petty revenge. But what if it had gone differently? “I decided to just sit around and wait for a while and enjoy the weather.”

“What was the weather like?”

It was winter now, and he’d said they hadn’t been together long. He racked his brain trying to recall all the photos he’d seen on Donghae’s Instagram. The man liked to take pictures of nature. So maybe spring?

“It was the end of spring, sometime in May, I can’t remember the exact date, I’m sorry. But I noticed you taking pictures of the flowers. I thought you were kind of cute because you were getting into the strangest positions trying to find the perfect angle for your shots.”

“Am I a photographer?”

“Not a professional or anything. But you like taking pictures and posting them on your Instagram. Especially pictures of pretty things.”

“Did I try to take a picture of you? Because you were pretty?”

“Sort of,” Hyukjae laughed a little, grateful to Donghae for inadvertently giving him an idea. “You weren’t really paying attention and kind of ran into me.”

“I’m clumsy, huh?”

“Not that so much as focused. You were paying more attention to your pictures and stepped on my foot.”

“Ouch! I’m sorry!”

“It’s all right. It didn’t hurt much. And when I saw how cute you were, I really didn’t mind at all.”

“What did I say?”

“You kept apologizing. And then you offered to buy me coffee to make up for it.”

“Coffee,” Donghae laughed. “Of course.”

“I didn’t have any plans and my friend still hadn’t called, so I figured why not?”

“What happened then?”

“We went and had coffee. And then you asked to take my picture.”

“Smooth move, Donghae,” the other man said with a grin.

Hyukjae laughed. He was adorable. “It was pretty smooth. You kept acting like it was all about the picture, saying the lighting was beautiful and wanting to capture the ambiance of the scene. But I was hoping that was your way of flirting with me.”

“Was it?”

“It turned out that way,” Hyukjae continued. “I asked if I could see the picture, and when I said I liked it, you offered to send me a copy if I wanted to give you my phone number.”

“Oooh,” Donghae nodded. “Very subtle.”

“Yeah, but I had no complaints.”

“You gave me your number?”

“It was a good picture,” Hyukjae protested with a laugh. “And I was really hoping you would call me.”

“Did I?”

“Well, you texted me first and sent the photos you’d taken of me. And you happened to mention that if I ever need my picture taken in the future, you’d be happy to do it for me because I was such a nice model.”

“Not too obvious, right?” Donghae was smiling.

“Just obvious enough. So, I called and asked if you wanted to have lunch sometime when you weren’t busy.”

“You asked me out?”

“I was really hoping you were feeling the attraction, too.”

“I’m sure I was.”

“Well, it still took us a couple of tries to both admit it. We had a handful of ‘just-friends-not-a-date’ meetings before we realized it was mutual.”

“How did we figure it out?” Donghae asked a bit sleepily, a dreamy expression on his face.

“You drove me home one night and told me you liked me.”

“Were you surprised?”

“I was thrilled, because I liked you too, but I didn’t want to make the first move and scare you off.”

“What did you say when I told you?”

“I said I liked you too. And then I kissed you.”

“That’s romantic.”

“You’re a romantic guy.”

“I’m really happy you liked me back.”

“Me too, Donghae,” Hyuk said softly, fighting back a sudden rush of tears. “I’m glad you like me, too.”

“I think I fell in love with someone really special.”

“I know I did,” Hyuk admitted, his heart aching.

“I’m really tired. Will you stay with me until I fall asleep?”

“Of course, I will,” he vowed, wrapping one hand around Donghae’s and reaching up to the skin of his cheek with the other. “Go ahead, rest now. We can talk more in the morning.”

“Thanks, Hyuk.”

“You’re welcome.”

Hyukjae struggled to maintain steady breathing even as tears ran down his cheeks. He was creating a fantasy world, not just for himself, but for both of them. But while he’d been talking it had felt so real. Donghae thought it was real. Donghae trusted every word that came out of his mouth. And he hated himself for doing it, but he didn’t want to stop. Not until he had to. Watching as Donghae relaxed into sleep, Hyuk promised himself he would stop at the first sign that Donghae might be remembering the truth. He would apologize, or maybe disappear. He could beg Doctor Park for a new room assignment and just go away, even if it meant not seeing Donghae again.

But until then, he would take everything he could get, no matter how wrong it was. Tucking the blankets around his pretend boyfriend, Hyukjae wearily got to his feet, staggered over to his bed, and collapsed, falling asleep almost instantly.

 

He must have been a lot more tired than he thought, because when Hyukjae woke up the next morning it was to find his mother sitting beside his bed, smiling at him fondly.

“Mom…”

“Good morning, my love.”

“Morning,” he answered quietly, darting a quick glance toward the next bed.

“He’s sleeping,” she commented with a smile.

“What? You…?”

“Your sister told me everything. I’m sorry, sweetheart. You must be under so much stress right now. But we’ve all talked about it and we’re going to do better.”

“Mom, I know what I told Sora sounds crazy, but—”

“It does, but I understand how you feel, truly I do.”

“Do you?”

“You don’t remember your great-grandmother. She died when you were still so young. She had severe dementia at the end. My father and grandfather would get so upset trying to talk to her. She would forget the simplest things, get lost in memories from long before I was born. She used to think I was her sister. But she told the most wonderful stories, and I loved to hear them, so I went along with it all. I pretended I was her sister, I laughed at all her happy memories. And do you know, I never was upset that she didn’t remember me, even though she and I had been so close. Because I was able to see how happy she had been as a young woman. The hope that she had for her future. It was a lovely thing.”

“Mom, that’s not exactly the same.”

“I know it isn’t, sweetheart. But you’ve had to struggle for a long time now. And Sora said that this man makes you happy. That he’s happy. At least right now. I don’t exactly condone what you’re doing because I think there’s a good chance you’ll both be hurt. But right now, if this is what you need to help you through another day, then I’ll accept it and support you. Because I want you to keep going, son. I couldn’t bear it if you gave up. I love you too much to let you go.”

Hyukjae sniffed back his tears, to little use, as they started rolling down his cheeks anyway. His mother reached out and brushed them away before standing and leaning over to kiss his forehead.

“So, tell me what you need me to do?”

“I… I don’t know. He thinks I’m his boyfriend. He asked me to tell him the story of how we met.”

“Did you?”

“I made something up,” he whispered, looking over at Donghae again to be sure he was still asleep. His monitor was showing a steady pulse rate and breathing. “It was just a silly story, but he was so happy, and it was so much fun to imagine that it was true.”

Hyukjae felt fresh tears welling and bit his lip in an attempt to stop them.

“Do you know anything about him?”

“A little bit. I sort of stalked his social media accounts. I managed to put something together based on what he seems to like.”

“Is he handsome?”

“Very,” Hyukjae nodded, finally managing a smile. “And he seems so nice. He’s so grateful toward me for being there. I overheard his real boyfriend, and he was such an . He acted like Donghae did this on purpose and that he was worthless now that he was injured. It made me angry when I heard it and now that I know Donghae, he just seems so sweet. He doesn’t deserve someone like that.”

“Well then, we’ll have to give him someone better, right?”

“Really? You don’t have to get involved in this, mom.”

“Of course, I do! If he were your boyfriend, you know I would be here to visit him.”

“Well, yeah, but…”

“No buts,” she tsked and shook her head. “The same rules apply. Any boyfriend my children have has to be willing to be a part of the family. Which means your Donghae will be one of us for however long it lasts.”

“Mom…” Hyukjae breathed out, insanely happy to have been born into his family. “Thanks. I love you.”

“I love you too,” she grinned back at him. “Now, when is your prince charming going to wake up?”

“I can try and wake him. I told him I would be here this morning, but they gave him something to help him sleep. Let me go to the bathroom and stuff first, okay?”

“You do that,” she nodded, settling back in her chair.

It took him a while. Moving around first thing in the morning was never easy. His body hurt and he had to be careful not to lose his balance. Once he was finished emptying his bladder and washing up a little, he opened the bathroom door and was about to step out when he heard voices.

More specifically, his mother’s voice, and Donghae’s.

“…sorry it’s taken me so long to come and visit you.”

“That’s all right. Hyukjae said you were busy. I’m just happy to have visitors, even if I can’t remember them.”

“Donghae?” Hyukjae’s heart was pounding, wondering when the other man had woken up and how long his mother had been talking to him. It couldn’t have been more than a few minutes.

“Hi Hyukjae,” the other man smiled, facing somewhat in Hyuk’s direction.

“He woke up right when you went to the bathroom,” his mother said calmly. “But I was here when he called for you.”

She seemed almost proud of the fact, and Hyuk once again was thrilled to have been born to the parents he was. “Thanks mom.”

“It’s nothing,” she brushed off. “I’m glad I was here. Donghae, child, how are you feeling this morning?”

“Uh…” Donghae’s lips twisted, and Hyuk had a feeling he would be frowning if his eyes were visible. “My head still hurts pretty bad. But at least the pain from that is taking my mind off my other injuries.”

“The closer to your brain, the more the pain,” Hyuk’s mother said sagely. “I remember once when I broke a tooth, I cried for days until I was able to have it removed. It hurt worse than anything I’ve ever felt, and that’s saying a lot since I gave birth to two children. You must feel terrible, dear. Isn’t there anything the doctor’s can give you to help with the pain?”

“Not much. Because my brain is swollen, they don’t want to give me high doses of anything because it might affect my recovery.”

“Such a shame,” she reached out and took his hand, patting it gently with the other. “But I’m sure it will get better soon. And once you feel well enough, perhaps Hyukjae will finally bring you over for dinner.”

A slow, happy smile spread across Donghae’s face. “I would love that. I feel so lucky knowing I have Hyukjae, and all of his wonderful family, to support me through this. I just hope I can remember you all. It’s terrible not to remember.”

“You can always make new memories,” she soothed, still rubbing his hand between her own. “And my Hyuk will take good care of you while you’re here, I’m sure of it.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” Donghae answered shyly.

“Oh no, dear, just call me eomma.”

Hyuk saw Donghae’s lower lip disappear between his teeth and understood that the man was overwhelmed by emotion. How he could know so much he wasn’t sure. But the more he observed Donghae, the more he felt like he knew him well. He was sweet and soaked up affection like a sponge. How he had ever gotten mixed up with the jerk who had come to the hospital that day was a mystery.

Feeling bold and wanting to bring a smile back to the man’s face, Hyukjae said, “Be careful Donghae, before you know it, she’ll be planning our wedding. Yesung tried to resist her, but in the end it was impossible.”

“Your brother-in-law is a pleasure,” she scoffed. “Always polite, never scared to jump in and help out. Why wouldn’t I want Sora to marry him?”

“I met Sora,” Donghae voiced quietly.

“Oh yes, she told me all about it. That’s why I wanted to come and see you, you poor darling. And don’t worry, no matter what happens you’ll always have us to lean on. Memories are important, but there’s no law saying you can’t make new ones just as good as the old ones.”

“I hope so,” Donghae whispered.

“Mom’s right though,” Hyuk felt the need to expand on what she had said. “No matter what, I’m here for you. So, you don’t have to worry.”

“I’m not,” he smiled finally. “Not anymore.”

Hyukjae’s mother stayed another half an hour or so, then bowed out with apologies, explaining that she had to go to work. Donghae was quick to tell her that he understood, mentioning again how thankful he was that she had made the time to come and visit him. He even insisted that Hyukjae walk her out, which he agreed to, even though they never moved farther than the hallway outside the room.

“He’s a very sweet man, Hyukjae,” his mother said as soon as they were alone.

“I know,” he sighed.

“And very eager to care about you.”

“You think this is wrong, don’t you?” he gave her a forlorn look.

“If his memory wasn’t coming back, then I would be wholeheartedly behind this. Because I can see that you already care about him as well. I don’t blame you. I know how lonely you must be, especially now that you’re stuck here in the hospital. But sweetie, you must be careful. Someone might show up here at any time and all of your stories would be made false in an instant.”

“Yeah. Not that I think his boyfriend will come back, but he does have a brother.”

“Just be careful, son. Please?”

“It makes me happy, mom. And it makes him happy. I promise at the first sign that he remembers his old life I’ll stop. I’ll tell him I’m crazy or something. I don’t mind taking the blame.”

“Perhaps you should clue in Doctor Park,” she commented, looking over his shoulder.

“What?” he turned to see the handsome doctor walking their way, a dimpled smile on his face as he nodded to Hyuk and bowed to his mother.

“Good morning, Mrs. Lee.”

“Good morning Doctor. I’m afraid I’m running late, but Hyukjae has something he’d like to tell you.” She pressed a kiss to her son’s shocked cheek and strolled away with a smile.

“What’s up, Hyukjae? It’s good to see you up and about. How are you feeling?”

“Exhausted, actually.”

“Is that what you wanted to tell me? We should run some tests and see if your dialysis levels need adjusting.”

“No, it’s not from that. At least I don’t think so.”

“What then?”

“It’s about Donghae.”

“Your roommate? What about him?”

“This may sound totally crazy, but…” Hyukjae explained everything, as briefly as possible, watching as the doctor’s eyes grew wider and showed increasing levels of disbelief.

“Hyukjae…” he sputtered once the story was finished, “that’s… I don’t…”

“I know,” Hyuk whined. “It’s stupid, all right? I know it is. But it just got out of control so fast and…”

“And what?”

“I just feel so happy when we’re talking, you know? And he’s happy thinking he has a caring boyfriend and people that are concerned for him.”

“His brother will be here soon,” the doctor warned.

“I figured as much. But it’s not like he’ll remember his brother either. And maybe his brother doesn’t know Donghae’s real boyfriend. They don’t seem super close.”

“You can’t know that.”

“I don’t really know anything,” Hyukjae shrugged, “aside from the fact that I wish he really were my boyfriend. Even if he couldn’t remember it.”

“Oh, Hyuk…”

“It’s fine, I don’t expect you to help me out or anything. I just wanted you to know so that maybe you wouldn’t say anything about me being a patient as well.”

“He doesn’t know?”

“Well, he can’t see me, so he doesn’t know I’m staying in the same room. I just told him I have to go out for a few hours in the afternoon.”

Doctor Park sighed deeply, reaching up to rub his neck. “I feel somewhat responsible. I did ask you to keep an eye on him.”

“It’s fine, it’s not your fault, it’s mine.”

“Well, I’ll watch what I say, but Hyuk, you know you’ll have to tell him the truth sooner or later.”

“I will. I already told mom that as soon as he shows signs of remembering you can put me in another room and say I was some crazy patient that did it all behind your back.”

“That’s a bit extreme, but if it does come to that I’ll see what I can do.”

“Thanks, Doc.”

“Sure, all right. Come on then, I need to do my rounds and check on him. And you need to eat your breakfast.”

The doctor was true to his word and kept his visit short and professional. As he was leaving the orderly came in with their breakfasts, and Hyukjae once again offered to help feed Donghae. They chatted about little things, favorite movies and music, things they each liked to do. Hyukjae based his answers about Donghae as much as possible on the bits of information he had gleaned from the man’s social media, but there were a lot of things he made up, mirroring his own likes and dislikes. This had the effect of making Donghae think they were made for each other since they had so much in common, and Hyukjae couldn’t do much but agree.

It was so much fun talking to Donghae. He was charming and childish, making silly jokes one minute and saying the cheesiest compliments the next. Hyukjae was totally smitten and couldn’t have stopped what they were doing even if he tried. It was dangerous and addictive. Donghae was a breath of fresh air to his stale, boring life, and when they were talking Hyukjae could forget about his dismal future and constant pain.

Soon enough lunchtime rolled around, and with it more food that Hyukjae knew better than to eat. Going into dialysis with a full stomach was something he had learned the hard way would lead to feeling horrible later. So, he picked at his tray while assisting Donghae.

“Hyuk?”

“Yeah?”

“Do you have to leave today?”

“For a few hours, yes. I’m sorry.”

“No! No, it’s all right. You’ve been here nonstop except to sleep. I feel terrible about monopolizing all your time.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. I would rather be with you than anywhere else. I just have some business I need to take care of every day, that’s all. I’ll come back as soon as I’m done.”

“Oh, well, if you’re sure…”

“What about you? Do you want my phone again to listen to music?”

“I don’t want to take your phone away again. You might need it. Did they… is my phone here? I’m sure I have a phone.”

Hyukjae didn’t know, but he was afraid to find out at the same time. Because a phone meant Donghae could possibly reach out to the people who knew him. It also meant that someone might be trying to contact him, and Hyuk suddenly hated the idea of anyone bringing back the memories that would tear Donghae away from him.

“I haven’t seen it. I suppose maybe the police still have it. They were the ones who gathered your belongings after the accident and contacted everyone.”

“That’s too bad.”

“Is there someone you wanted to call?” Hyukjae asked cautiously.

“I don’t know. I just wondered if anyone had tried to call me. My brother maybe?”

“I’m sure he’ll be here soon.”

“Do you have his number? Did I… probably not, right?”

“I never had a reason to get his number. I’ve never met him; he’s been out of the country for a while and when he was here, we just never managed to meet.”

“Sure,” Donghae seemed disappointed.

“I could put on the TV for you.”

“I was thinking maybe I could sleep. I’m pretty tired and my head is starting to hurt again.”

“That’s a good idea. You need your rest.”

“If you wanted to leave early, it’s all right. You didn’t eat anything for lunch, and I don’t want you to be hungry.”

“I’m fine. I’ll grab something while I’m out, and maybe I can sweet talk the nurses into bringing me dinner again tonight so we can eat together.”

“It’s not very good, though,” Donghae made a face expressing his disappointment.

“I still don’t mind eating it as long as we’re doing it together.”

And that brought a smile, but Hyukjae could see that it wasn’t as bright as before. “Why don’t you get comfortable and I’ll just sit with you until you fall asleep.”

“Okay,” Donghae wiggled a little bit, not able to move much due to his injuries. Hyukjae tucked the blanket around him and grabbed his hand again, it gently with his thumb. “Hyukjae? You’re really nice.”

“It’s really easy to be nice to you,” he replied. “You’re a sweetheart, Donghae.”

“Even though I can’t remember you?”

“Even then. And memories aren’t everything. The fact that you accepted me means a lot. I mean, you could have freaked out about all this, but you’re taking it really well.”

“I trust you,” he said, yawning. “Why would you lie to me?”

Why indeed? “Maybe I want to make myself look like the perfect boyfriend, so you won’t remember all the mistakes I’ve made.”

“Then you’re doing a good job,” came the happy reply. “I think you’re perfect.”

“Oh, Donghae…” Hyuk couldn’t help but sigh.

“I’m really happy you’re here. I’m not afraid when you’re with me and talking to me.”

“I’m really glad. But I’m not perfect. I just really care about you.”

“You love me?”

The million-dollar question. “I love you.”

“Can I have a kiss before I fall asleep?”

“You bet,” Hyuk whispered, leaning over and gently pressing their lips together. Donghae was clearly tired because he barely puckered his own lips. But he had a pleasant smile as he relaxed back into the bed.

“Hyuk?”

“Yes?”

“Can you tell me another story to put me to sleep?”

“What would you like to hear about?”

“Tell me something fun we did together.”

Once again, a fiction he would have to create from thin air. But this time it felt easier. He just imagined something he’d always wanted to do with a boyfriend and placed Donghae in the role.

Telling a tale of a day they spent together at the carnival, going on rides, eating from food stalls and competing to see who could win the other the biggest, most ridiculous prize, Hyukjae once again lost track of time.

He was so caught up in his tale that he almost didn’t notice when the nurse came in to collect him for his therapy. But it didn’t matter, because Donghae had long since fallen asleep, the same contented smile on his face.