A Thought on an Autumn Night

Thief of Words

Jannabi - A Thought on an Autumn Night

 

By the time they got back home, Minjae was tired and looked worn out. Besides, he had to guide Fei the whole way and it wasn't easy to stay by a blind person's side when said person was persistently asking for a tree.

"It would have taken a lot less time if you took me in the park and let me hug a tree. Even the weed could help with the stinging." She continued to complain even though she had already been to the hospital.

"The doctor said you'll be fine and gave you some cream. You have to apply it every three hours."

Fei wanted to roll her eyes at him but her sockets were still under discomfort.

"Alright, you're home now." He announced once they arrived at the library.

"Wh-aren't you going to help me get upstairs?" She asked knowing where the stairs were by reflex.

"You seem to be doing well by yourself now. You can just hold the railing and slowly go up."

She stood there, her head turned towards him with a poker face. The bandage she had around her eyes made her seem like she was waiting for Medusa. She couldn't see anything.

"Hikaru! Are you still here?!" Minjae yelled as he went behind the counter desk, where only the staff was allowed.

A skinny boy who looked like he hasn't slept in a while came out from the hall towards the deposit. He was dressed in baggy clothes and his hair was a mess, besides the fact that he had webs caught in it.

"Yes?"

Minjae approached him with a frown. One glance at Hikaru and he knew there was no way he could leave his responsibility on his frail hands.

"Is it that time of the year already? It's November."

Hikaru stared at him with empty eyes as if his soul has been numbed. His face was pale and seemed to have sharpened because he lost weight. Minjae sighed heavily and dismissed the boy who just returned in the deposit.

"Let him sleep. You know he has the recollection during this time...it's not nice reliving your death." Fei said standing so still that she could have been mistaken for a statue. "Just help me up and I'll be fine from then on."

"How can I?" Minjae moaned but still took her into his arms and went up the stairs and down the left hallway until he reached a column.

He went right through it and arrived in a fully equipped apartment. He sat her on the armchair before he grabbed a plastic bowl and filled it with cold-ish water. He placed it on the table next to her and grabbed a cloth from the bathroom. After he rolled up his sleeves, he unwrapped the bandage and looked at her bruised eyes.

"What are you doing?" She asked hearing him move.

He made sure to wet the cloth enough not to have it drop on her face and then carefully placed it over her eyes.

"How does this feel?" He asked already knowing the answer.

"Refreshing, thanks." She said in a softer tone, "Is it that bad?"

"Can you open your eyes at all?"

She uncovered her eyes enough for Minjae to see them and then slowly and painfully opened them. Minjae's black eyes widened but he tried to keep his cool. One of her orbs reformed but the other didn't.

"I'll close the library when I leave so don't worry about that. Just stay here and use that cream every three hours." He said sounding like he was the boss.

"Yeah, yeah," she mumbled and leaned back, relaxing.

Minjae glanced at her one last time before he went downstairs. There was nobody left so he turned off the lights and got ready to leave. Before walking out the door he couldn't help but glance at the artefact that was so carefully standing straight in the middle of the waiting/reading room. It seemed to glint in the dark as if mocking Minjae, or maybe it was the glass box around it. Anyway, he locked and left quickly.

It was maybe an hour later when Fei decided she felt better. She dropped the wet cloth and went to take a shower and change into comfortable clothing. It was barely 10pm (the hour when the library normally closes at) and she felt dread come over when she remembered she had a night job too.

She walked downstairs groggily, pulling her hair into a pony tail. She noticed that the sign on the door was not turned so she went to do so in case someone believed them to be open. She was checking the lock when she got startled by a sudden knock on the glass door. She rolled her eyes annoyed that somebody actually came so late and got ready to glare and cuss at whoever was on the other side. However, when she looked at him, she blocked.

"Please, please I really need to buy a book! I'll pay you more, just open up for 5 minutes." He said looking at her with what he believed were pitiful eyes.

But Fei couldn't hear him. His voice was fading while a life-changing memory replaced reality for a moment.

"I can't believe the king agreed to meet us." A very happy Johan said as he walked proudly between his father and their translator.

"It's been three months since we arrived, though." Fei mumbled. "He could have replied faster. Bigger kings have agreed to meet merchants in the next few days from their arrival." She commented getting a warning glance from Papa Krum.

"No trouble, remember?"

Fei pouted and nodded. She had to be nice and quiet now that Papa Krum also learned how to trade in hangul. It wasn't much but it was enough to talk to the locals about accessories and fabric.

The five foreigners were asked to follow a stiff elderly man through the castle and into the throne room. Servants gawked from the sides, although all five of them were dressed in hanboks. Their faces and heights were all above most people they had met but some officials at the court and ladies seemed to be taller than the plebe. The difference in status was heard and felt from the moment they stepped inside and it made Fei realize that no matter the corner of the world, the skin colour or religion, people will always be searching for a status.

"Come this way," the elderly man said, "When you enter, do not look at the king directly. Just bow and wait for him to speak first." He added obviously speaking to Papa Krum who looked to be the most trustworthy.

However they all turned to Fei who translated every word. Then the doors opened and Fei gasped at the number of people inside. Some were on the left while others were on the right staring at the foreigners with mixed emotions. They had to walk a few feet before they were instructed again to bow. There were five pillows where they were told to sit and start speaking.

"Your majesty, we have come a long way from Denmark and France. We may look odd to you but I believe you will be most pleased with our stuff. I have gathered the most expensive fabric, jewelries and shoes for you and your subjects." Papa Krum said in Danish. He was sweating a lot and forgot all the words he learned until then.

He glanced at Fei in sign that she was after all going to play translator for them. Since she was used to look in the eyes of her interlocutor in the past, she did raise her head a bit enough to take a glance at the king. To her surprise he also looked straight into her eyes. Right away she was scolded by a man who actually glared at her.

"Keep your head down, stranger." He said as if he was about to get up and slap her for it.

Fei turned her eyes on him, two big eyes whose orbs were as clear as a beautiful spring morning. She glared at him, which surprised the old man.

"I have to translate." She said coldly before she returned her sight on the king.

Whatever she said was muffled by the view of the man that was still pleading to enter and buy his precious book. Those same foxy eyes that she stared into that day were now looking down at her with no idea how much of an impact they had.

Fei didn't know how to react so she just ran away. She ran into the back room where she had to sit right away. Her whole body was trembling and her heart stung.