Happily Ever After

Unconventional Cinderella

Kyuella was lazing around in the attic when an angel fell down from the sky on him.

 

"Ouch! What happened…?"

 

Glancing up, he saw that his bedroom rooftop now had a big hole. The cause of the mess was a petite black-haired man who fell through the roof and was now lying on top of him. The culprit who just destroyed his roof groaned from the impact as he slowly lifted his face up from Kyuella's chest.

 

"Ouch… That isn't a chimney…"

"Huh? Aren't you—"

"Oh, why hello there!" The black-haired man grinned at him cheerfully, "it's me, your fairy godmother Yesung!"

"My fairy godmother…?"

 

Kyuella stared confusedly at the man who now pushed himself up to sit on his thighs. The beam of the first sunrise of dawn fell through the broken roof and shone on the man. The gentle orange hue enhanced his black hair and obsidian eyes so beautifully that Kyuella forgot how to breathe for a second.

 

"Let's not waste time and make haste. So much preparation to be done!"

"Huh? What preparation?"

"Dressing you up for the ball tonight, obviously!"

 

The ball that the fairy godmother talked about was held to celebrate the crown prince's eighteenth birthday. Rumor had it that the king and the queen planned to find a suitor for the prince from the guests attending tonight's ball.

 

"But why? I'm fine not attending it. It sounds bothersome."

"No, no, no! How can this be a fairytale if the prince and the princess didn't achieve their happily ever after? As your fairy godmother, naturally it's my duty to see you to the happy end!"

 

The fairy godmother said cheerfully and got down from his body, much to Kyuella's dismay. The black-haired man smiled and offered his hand to Kyuella.

 

"First thing first, a fitting! Rest assured Kyuella, I'll make you the most gorgeous guest tonight!"

 

************************************

 

Kyuella sat quietly and watched the fairy godmother taking out a roll of blue silk fabric and other sewing equipment. Yesung hummed in a good mood as he spread out the measurement tape. The black-haired man put his arms around the taller male and began to measure his chest, and Kyuella wisely seized the chance to pull the shorter male into his embrace.

 

"What are you doing!?" The fairy godmother asked in a slightly panicking voice.

"I was worried that you might have a hard time reading the number on the tape so I tried to help you."

"B-But your hands are on my waist…"

"I just need an armrest. Does it bother you?"

 

Yesung quickly shook his head. He cast his eyes down and continued to measure Kyuella's body while his cheeks slightly heated up. The sight greatly warmed up Kyuella's heart and put a fond smile on his handsome face.

 

 

If magic does exist, please stop the time here and keep the two of us like this forever.

 

 

Kyuella wished longingly while brushing his graceful finger along the soft and squishy cheek, causing the fairy godmother to blush even harder.

 

***********************************

 

"Are you really a fairy godmother?"

"Of course I'm! What part of me does not look like it?"

"In that case, why don't you just use magic to create a suit?"

"You don't get it Kyuella. While magic is indeed convenient, it lacks sincerity and soul! That's why making it from a scratch is better."

 

Yesung explained to the brown-haired man. While he was doing so, his hands didn't stop cutting and sewing the blue silk fabric into a fine suit. Kyuella nodded in understanding as he fought himself to not pinch those chubby cheeks and bothered his fairy godmother. The sun had risen quite high in the sky now. The street outside of the attic window was bustling with people and chattering noise. Kyuella's stomach growled, reminding him that he had yet to have breakfast. He excused himself and went to fetch the meal for both of them. Coming back with a bowl of mushroom soup and meat skewers, he placed them on a bedside table and called his fairy godmother.

 

"Yesung, I brought breakfast for you."

"That's very kind of you. Thank you, but I don't need it."

"Don't be silly. You can't work on an empty stomach."

"But there isn't much time left before the ball! I must finish this suit and fetch the accessory then we have to decorate the carriage. Not to say that we have to spare time for the actual preparation too! Do you see how many tasks we have? That's why I can't afford to take even a single break!"

 

While he was complaining, Yesung kept working efficiently on the material in his hands. He didn't even look up from the smooth fabric which dampened Kyuella's mood a bit. He didn't like the way his fairy godmother ignored him while they were talking.

 

"Sigh, I have no choice then."

"Huh? What do you mea—"

 

Yesung almost choked mid-speech when a piece of juicy grilled meat was shoved into his mouth. He chewed and swallowed it with difficulty before half-heartedly scolding the brown-haired man.

 

"Kyuella... What if the suit got ruined by the sauce?"

"I'm worried about you so I'll feed you until you're full."

"But…"

"No but. You get to work and I don't have to worry about you, isn't that great?"

 

Eventually, the fairy godmother sighed and nodded. He let Kyuella feed him while working on the suit. His rosy cheeks turned a shade deeper when the taller man gently dabbed a handkerchief on the corner of his lips with a small smile.

.

.

.

.

"Whew, the suit is finally done!"

"Great. Let's take a short rest, shall we?"

"No, we can't. It's half past noon now and we still haven't fetched the accessory and bought ornaments for decorating your carriage yet. Let's go to the market!"

"Ah," Kyuella smiled teasingly, "date at the market? I like it."

"W-What date!? I told you we'll just buy stuff! Jeez, Kyuella, stop! You're distracting me!"

"Is it a good kind of distraction though?"

 

Kyuella leaned in so close that the fairy godmother could count all twinkle stars in those warm brown eyes. Yesung clutched the front of his shirt and refused to speak, for not trusting his voice to not quiver. The air surrounding them felt so tense that it squeezed Yesung's heart, but at the same time, it felt so thin that his head felt so light. After a short while of nothing but the black-haired man's heartbeat echoing loudly, the fairy godmother slapped his cheeks and finally gained his wit back.

 

"...We mustn't waste any more time."

 

With that said, Yesung quickly turned around and headed to the sole window in the room, only to be stopped by the house owner.

 

"My dear fairy godmother, you know that there exists a door, right?"

"...I was just trying to see how crowded the street is."

 

Yesung feigned confidence but it was all ruined by his flustered expression. Kyuella took mercy on the fairy godmother though, so he didn't tease the man and obediently followed him out of the room. Although a teasing smile still graced his handsome face all the way to the town square.

 

**************************************

 

They arrived at the town square exactly at one in the afternoon. People greeted Kyuella lively since he was quite popular in the town, a gallant and kind-hearted young man who lived with his step-father and step-brothers. His family was from a well-known knight bloodline and had been bestowed the title of earl. Despite being a nobleman, Kyuella and his family are very humble and down-to-earth. They chose to remain at a commoner district and since then had helped many people in every possible way, gaining a reputation as the public hero. Kyuella smiled and greeted them all back, all the while trying to hold back his laughter. His fairy godmother decided to adorn himself with a suspicious black robe that was much larger than his small frame. The long-sleeved garment fell to his feet and its hood completely covered his face. So, whenever Yesung walked, it looked more like a floating curtain than a person which amused Kyuella greatly.

 

"Yesung, are you sure that you aren't going to trip on that ridiculously long robe?"

"Fear not Kyuella, I may not look like it but I'm actually very capable of taking care of myse— Ah!"

 

The fairy godmother didn't even finish his speech when he stepped on the hem of his robe and stumbled forward. Luckily, Kyuella always kept an eye on the shorter man so he rescued the clumsy guy just in time. He smirked as he hugged the 'floating curtain' close to his chest. Despite the hood completely casting a shadow over his oval face, Kyuella still saw the fairy godmother's cheeks burning brighter than the sun. He tightened his arms around the thin waist and whispered teasingly.

 

"My fairy godmother is so clumsy, isn't he? Shall I carry you in my arms so that you won't trip on that robe again?"

"N-No! I'm fine! Just because I tripped once doesn't mean I'll trip again!"

 

Yesung meekly protested and got away from the young man's embrace. However, his foot again stepped on the robe while he was stepping backward and stumbled. The fairy godmother yelped and shut his eyes ready to take the falling impact but it never came. Nervously peeking his eyes open, Yesung let out a weird squeaky noise when he saw Kyuella's handsome face barely an inch apart. The taller man smirked. His hands resting on the fairy godmother's slim waist pulled the flustered man into his arms while whispering in mirth.

 

"Sure that you don't need my help? Hmm?"

".............."

 

Kyuella chuckled at how red the shorter man's face was. Ah, how cute. His fairy godmother was so flustered that he couldn't speak a word! Kyuella truly wanted to take a bite of that lovely red cheeks but he decided against it. Yesung almost fainted just from the hug so anything more than that would no doubt knock him out good. Kyuella let go of the black-haired man and held his hand instead. This way, he could easily rescue the clumsy fairy godmother if he ever tripped again.

 

******************************

 

The duo miraculously made it to the accessory shop without the fairy godmother combusting from embarrassment first. The shop owner was a middle-aged woman who greeted them with a bright smile when they stepped into the shop.

 

"Welcome to my lovely shop! How can my darling accessories help you gentlemen today?"

"I'm here to pick up the sapphire brooch that I reserved two days ago."

"Oh, the Queen of Sky! I didn't remember you because of that robe, sorry, J—"

"It's fine! Can we have the brooch now?"

 

Yesung suspiciously cut off the lady mid-sentence. The shop owner gasped and turned to the taller man who stood beside Yesung. The kind lady then smiled knowingly and nodded.

 

"Of course dear! I'll be right back~"

 

With that said, the lady owner disappeared into the back of the shop. Kyuella who carefully observed their interaction noticed something about the two and asked his fairy godmother about it.

 

"Do you two know each other?"

"What? No! I'm merely a customer who came here for the first time two days ago. How can we know each other?"

"Really? But the owner seems fond of you. Are you sure?"

"That's because I'm the best and the cutest fairy godmother! Naturally, people are fond of me!"

 

Yesung coughed awkwardly and avoided the taller man's eyes.

 

"Cough, I m-mean, even you're fond of me, r-right?"

"No, I'm not fond of you."

 

Kyuella's eyes brightened up at his fairy godmother's kicked puppy expression. He planted a soft kiss on the man's chubby cheek and whispered gleefully.

 

"I'm really fond of you, my dear fairy godmother."

 

If humans could explode from embarrassment, then Yesung would have become a speck of dust by now. The black-haired man stared stupidly at the brown-haired man with his mouth hanging open. His cheeks were redder than a rose and his voice was squeaky and funny. The fairy godmother was so adorable that Kyuella wanted to kiss him so badly, and he might have gone with it if the shop owner didn't show up.

 

"Dear, the brooch that you ordered is—" the lady looked at the two men, "oh my, is this bad timing?"

""Yes. / No!""

 

Yesung glared at the taller man, his face still bright red. He took a dark blue velvet box from the older woman and smiled at her. Throwing a pout at Kyuella, the black-haired man got out of the shop without waiting for the other man. Kyuella chuckled. He was about to follow his fairy godmother but the shop owner stopped him.

 

"Wait, Kyuella,"

"Yes, auntie?"

"It's about him," the shop owner glanced at the black-haired man who waited outside of the shop, "please take care of him well."

"Don't worry," the younger man smiled, "I'll take great care of him."

"Dear, I'm glad to hear that!"

 

The lady looked at Yesung again with a fond smile.

 

"Jong— I mean, your fairy godmother, he is a kind-hearted, innocent young man who only wishes for happiness to the people he loves."

"Including me?" Kyuella asked smugly.

"Yes, dear," the lady chuckled, "including you."

 

Kyuella laughed along with the older woman. After that, he bade her farewell and left the shop to see his fairy godmother pouting at him.

 

"What did you talk back there with auntie? You didn't gossip about me, did you?"

"No, she was pointing out that we look cute together and I agree with her."

 

Yesung once again turned bright red. He quickly spun around and walked off, only to step on his robe, again, and fell to the ground. The shorter man whined as he lightly massaged his ankle. Kyuella sighed. It seemed like his clumsy fairy godmother twisted his ankle. He crouched down and turned his back at the man.

 

"We're going to the ornament shop next, right? Here, climb on my back."

"What? No! I can walk by myself just fine!"

"Yesung, climb on my back now or I'll carry you bridal style and walk around the town square all day."

 

Kyuella smirked when his fairy godmother immediately threw himself on his back. He secured his arms around the back of the man's thighs and stood up. While doing so, he pretended to lose his footing and stumbled backward a bit. He almost burst out laughing when Yesung squeezed his shoulders tighter. Heading to their destination, Kyuella whistled happily and deliberately ignored how his fairy godmother kept nuzzling and sniffing his neck.

 

****************************************

 

Halfway to the ornament shop, Yesung's ankle got better so Kyuella begrudgingly let him down from his back. After tripping times and times again, his clumsy fairy godmother finally learned a lesson and adapted. Rather than just walking leisurely, Yesung raised the hem of the robe up when he walked. No longer having to worry about tripping, the black-haired man hummed happily as he led the brown-haired man to their destination. They passed a fountain in the middle of the town square and, to Kyuella's surprise, his fairy godmother suddenly jumped on the fountain ledge. Still holding his robe up, Yesung spun around and began to sing. His black robe flowed gracefully along with his movement. The bright afternoon sunlight shone on his small figure and Kyuella was captivated by the sight. Yesung beamed and walked along the ledge, circling around the fountain while singing. People gathered more and more, attracted by Yesung's beautiful voice. The fountain danced to the melody that the black-haired man sang. Together, they created a scenery as if it came out of a fairytale book.

 

Kyuella didn't know what kind of expression he was making, but Yesung suddenly blushed madly after meeting his eyes. The fairy godmother stopped singing and stepped back, totally forgetting that he was standing on a ledge. Yesung yelped when his foot slipped and he lost his footing. Luckily, Kyuella had been keeping an eye on the black-haired man so he rescued Yesung just in time. The brown-haired man grabbed his fairy godmother's hand and pulled him in. Gravity worked its magic and pushed Yesung into Kyuella's arms. The taller man almost stumbled and fell, just almost. He braced himself in time for his fairy godmother to fall into his embrace. Kyuella smiled gently at the man in his arms.

 

"Are you falling for me? My dear fairy godmother?"

 

He leaned in and whispered.

 

"Because I've already fallen for you since the first moment my eyes laid on you."

 

For some reason, his fairy godmother looked extremely conflicted after hearing his confession. The black-haired man quickly stepped away from him and turned around. Yesung walked away without waiting for the taller man and he was left confused. What happened? Not only Yesung didn't blush like he had always done, but he also seemed sad on top of that. He thought that Yesung liked him, no, he was pretty sure that Yesung liked him. So why wasn't his fairy godmother happy after he reciprocated the feeling?

 

 

Something was off about Yesung and Kyuella hated that he had no idea what it was.

.

.

.

.

At the ornament shop, Yesung refused to speak with Kyuella or looked at him. The black-haired man only focused on picking the right decorations for the carriage. Kyuella tried many times to get his fairy godmother to talk to him, but all he got was a quiet "yes" and "right" and nothing else. To put it simply, he was given a cold shoulder now and he didn't know why. After Yesung was done buying the necessary items, he left the shop without waiting for the taller man. Kyuella chased after his fairy godmother and successfully stopped him. He pulled the stubborn man into an alley to confront him about his weird behavior.

 

"Yesung," placing his hands on a wall, he caged the shorter man in his arms, "we need to talk."

"No, we shouldn't waste more time than we already have. Kyuella, it's three in the afternoon now. We only have four hours left for the preparation!"

"We're not going anywhere until we settle this."

"Settle what?" Yesung asked while avoiding the taller man's eyes.

"You know all too well what I'm talking about. Yesung, I love you and you love me, so stop this matchmaking game already."

"No, you don't get it. I'm doing this for your sake! You deserve only the best and Prince Choiming is that person!"

 

Kyuella was so furious. He wanted to force himself on the black-haired man and showed it through actions whom he really liked. However, he took a deep breath and decided against it. No, that would only worsen the situation. He had to find another way to turn the tide.

 

 

And he found it.

 

 

"Alright," Kyuella let the shorter man go, "if that's what you want then let's hurry up. Just promise me that you won't give me a cold shoulder again."

 

The brown-haired man ignored his fairy godmother's dumbstruck expression and held his small hand, leading them out of the alley.

 

**************************************

 

Kyuella had plans.

 

And one of them included making his fairy godmother fall even more head over heels in love with him.

 

His plan should have worked smoothly, considering that they had plenty of time to be alone together, decorating a carriage.

 

If only these three "devils" didn't show up.

.

.

.

.

"Yesung, I think you should attach a gold ribbon here."

"Sounds about right! What about this ribbon?"

"Let's put it here, above the door."

"There… We're halfway done now! Hyuktasia, Haezella, thanks!"

 

Yesung smiled sweetly at the two men.

 

"No need to thank us. It's our duty as a knight to help those in need."

 

Hyuktasia said while hooking his arm around Yesung's waist.

 

"Yep, we're way more reliable than Kyuella so don't be shy around us!"

 

Haezella agreed with his brother. His hand sneakily rested on Yesung's shoulder and pulled the man closer.

 

"Still, we wouldn't be this ahead of schedule if it weren't for you twos helping me."

 

Yesung replied and slightly tilted his head. The black-haired man wasn't the least worried about two hands on his body. Kyuella, on the other hand, was on the verge of committing a homicide. Those two idiots! How dare they touched his fairy godmother!

 

"Kyuella! Don't slack off!"

"Ouch!"

 

He cried out in pain and glared at his stepfather, Lord Teukmaine, who hit him with a hand fan. The older man smirked and used the fan to point at two white horses in front of them.

 

"Your fairy godmother is working hard to prepare the carriage so you must work harder! Groom the horses well. Don't let anyone at the ball say that our family lacks manners!"

"But why did I have to do this alone!? Why did those two clowns get to help Yesung but not me!?"

"My, you clueless child," his stepfather sighed, "it's obvious that decorating a carriage needs more help than brushing horses, isn't it? Moreover, I won't let you attend the ball unless you finish the house chores!"

 

Kyuella gritted his teeth. He knew it. His family just wanted to , judging by his stepfather's smirk and his stepbrothers' gleeful grins. These sadistic people! What house chores!? They might not live in a manor but they still had a housekeeper, so there was no reason for him to do the house chores. Despite all of that, his stepfather intentionally ordered him to do it just so he couldn't spend time with Yesung. They knew that Yesung was his weak spot so they seized the chance to rile him up! 

 

"Say, Yesung, you're free after this, right? There's still time before Kyuella finishes all house chores so why don't you hang out with us at a bar?"

"Haezella is right. Come with us! We know a lot of "fun" things to do to kill time."

"That sounds like a good idea b—"

"THAT'S ENOUGH!"

 

 

Kyuella finally had had enough. He ignored his step father's warning and strode toward the three men. If a look could kill, then the two young men would have long been rendered to a cinder. Knowing that their younger brother was pissed off for real, Hyuktasia and Haezella wisely left the scene while dragging their father with them. Kyuella debated whether he should follow them and get his revenge or not. But when Yesung gently tucked his hair behind his ear, he completely abandoned that idea. He held his fairy godmother's hand and kissed it, causing the shorter man to blush.

 

"Yesung,"

"Y-Yes?"

"You're my fairy godmother," Kyuella murmured against the soft palm, "don't let other guys lay their hands on you."

"Oh," Yesung blinked, before starting to turn red, "yes, I got it, I mean, we should hurry up, to get this done, you know, we still have to do those house chores…"

 

The black-haired man rambled on. Kyuella smiled and leaned in to kiss his fairy godmother's cheek. After that, he went back to groom the horses while whistling happily. Although his plan ran into some hitch, he still managed to seal the deal. A proof? His fairy godmother who was blushing and grinning while touching his cheek adorably!

 

"Kyuella!" Lord Teukmaine shouted from the upper floor, "remember, you can't go unless you take care of everything!"

 

 

I swear I'm absolutely kicking their asses after all of this is done!

 

 

Kyuella made an oath to himself as he quickened his hand brushing the horse.

 

*****************************************

 

It took forever but they finally finished the house chores at half-past six. After taking a bath and changing into clean clothes, Kyuella and Yesung went to the attic to prepare their final step for the night. Kyuella put on the sapphire blue suit made by his fairy godmother and stood in front of a tall mirror. While Yesung was busy checking his outfit, he was busy admiring his fairy godmother's look of determination. Many times the brown-haired man caught his gaze lingering on the black-haired man's thinned lips. He was so focused on that pale red lips that he didn't realize Yesung was done checking up.

 

"I knew it!" Yesung said while patting his chest, "you look stunning in this suit!"

"Not as much as you in my clothes though."

 

He smirked at the rosy cheeks heating up. Because of the chores, Yesung's clothes got dirty so he borrowed Kyuella's one instead. Although his fairy godmother wore a plain and simple white shirt with brown pants, to him, the smaller man was so cute that he couldn't stop teasing him by pinching that cheek.

 

"Cough, come on Kyuella! Don't tease me! We really don't have much time left now!"

"That's not true. We have about the rest of our lives to be together."

 

Kyuella pressed his lips to hold laughter at how cute his fairy godmother was. Yesung was currently trying so hard to not smile by biting the inside of his cheek and thinning his lips. However, a color of rose still painted his entire face and the corners of his lips were rising. His fairy godmother kind of made a weird face now but to Kyuella, it was so damn adorable. Unable to stand the taller man's gaze, Yesung quickly took many steps back and ran to get the last accessory— the sapphire brooch. It was a rectangle-shaped sapphire about the size of a thumb surrounded by tiny crystal shards. The brooch was simple yet elegant at the same time. Yesung smiled proudly as he presented the accessory to Kyuella.

 

"Here, this is my gift for you. I hope you like it."

"It's a gift from you. Of course, I'll like it. Though I'll like it more if you put it on for me."

 

Yesung blushed slightly but obediently clipped the brooch on Kyuella's necktie. Kyuella smirked. He rested his hands on his fairy godmother's waist and pulled him closer. The black-haired man yelped when his body fell on the taller man's strong embrace. His whole face turned red but he didn't step back. Yesung glanced up at Kyuella, gingerly inquiring via his doe eyes what the taller man wanted to do. Kyuella answered it by slowly closing the gap between their faces. Intense brown orbs met conflicted black ones. Then, the brown orbs shifted down to a pair of pale red lips, setting the shorter man's body on fire. Despite a wave of conflict crashing furiously in the dark eyes, its owner slowly closed them as Kyuella got closer and closer…

 

 

"Kyuella! Yesung-ah! It's almost time for the ball now!"

 

 

Lord Teukmaine stopped at the door when he saw what position the two men were in now. He quickly faked a cough and got out of the room, locking the door on his way out too. Kyuella passionately cursed his stepfather inwardly when Yesung went back to his shy self and took many steps away from him. Those people! He will make them pay for it after everything is done with Yesung!

 

"Y-Your stepfather is right. It's almost time for the ball now so let's head out!"

"Wait, Yesung, I have a gift for you too."

 

Kyuella took out a ring from his right ring finger. It was an elegant platinum ring adorned with a tiny diamond. He held Yesung's hand and put the ring on the shorter man's left ring finger. The fairy godmother tried to reject the gift but Kyuella wouldn't let him. He put the ring all the way in and smiled when he saw his ring hugging around Yesung's small finger.

 

"This is my family heirloom so please take good care of it."

"What!? Then I really can't accept it! I won't be able to pay for compensation if something happened to the ring!"

"Nothing will happen if you keep the ring."

 

Kyuella smiled and kissed the ring. Before Yesung got to protest, he whistled and left the room, leaving the fairy godmother alone to stare at the ring on his finger.

 

**********************************************

 

On their way to the castle, Kyuella got bored with sitting alone in the carriage. He climbed out and moved to sit with his fairy godmother instead. Yesung almost had a heart attack when he saw the brown-haired man leaping from the side of the carriage to his seat at the front.

 

"Kyuella!!? What if you slipped and injured yourself!?"

"It still won't hurt as much as leaving you alone though, my dear fairy godmother."

 

Yesung almost drove the carriage off the road.

 

"Ahh! Seriously, stop teasing me already! You're distracting me!"

"I'm being serious though," Kyuella said firmly, "Yesung, I'll ask you one last time. Are you sure that pairing me with the crown prince will bring me a happy ending?"

"Absolutely," Yesung answered confidently, "you and the crown prince match very well in terms of looks and wealth."

"Let's say that I'm having my happy ending with the crown prince. What about you?"

"What is it about me?"

"I'm talking about your happiness, Yesung, will you really be happy if I end up with the crown prince?"

"Of course! Everyone is happy when people they love are happy, righ—"

 

Yesung bit his tongue when he realized what he just said.

 

"N-No! I didn't mean—"

"Too late now."

 

Kyuella pulled the rein to stop the carriage. Then, he held Yesung's face and forced the man to look at him directly.

 

"Let's be honest with ourselves. You love me and I love you. Stop all of this and turn the carriage back. Our place isn't in the castle but in the town where we'll build our future together."

"Kyuella…"

 

Yesung's resolve weakened at Kyuella's words. However, he still took the rein back and made the horses continue forward. Kyuella was both disappointed and sad at his fairy godmother's stubbornness that he didn't have anything else to say.

 

"I'm sorry… I know that I disappointed you but believe me, you'll definitely get your happy ending with the crown prince. Most importantly…"

 

 

The princess always ends up with the prince. There is no place for a fairy godmother like me to fit in.

 

 

Yesung thought bitterly as he smiled mockingly at himself.

 

*************************************

 

Because they stopped midway to talk, the duo arrived late at the ball. People already filled the vast hall to the brim when both men stepped into the place. Every eye was drawn to Kyuella since the first moment he stepped into the shiny world, men and women alike. After the initial shock, people began to gather around Kyuella and tried to get his attention. The brown-haired man frowned in annoyance. He was never a fan of parties, especially one where his crush forced him to hook up with a man he didn't like. After turning down yet another dance invitation, he finally had had enough of this. He turned around to get his fairy godmother and himself out of the place but Yesung was nowhere to be seen. Frowning, he tried to locate the black-haired man but someone approached him first.

 

"Kyuella? I'd never expected to see you at a ball. What auspicious occasion brings you here?"

"What a warm welcome from the benevolent crown prince. Why don't you make today a public holiday while you're at it? To celebrate my appearance?"

 

The crown prince Choiming, a tall and handsome dark brown-haired man laughed at his friend's sarcastic retort. Knowing how annoyed his friend was, the crown prince put his arm on Kyuella's shoulder and led them to a quieter corner of the party. People made way for them as no one dared to offend the crown prince. Finally out of people's curious gaze, Prince Choiming asked his friend again: "seriously though, I know you hate parties as much as I hate crooked noblemen, so what are you doing here?"

Kyuella sighed, "my future wife tried to hook me up with you thinking it's for the best of me."

"What?" Prince Choiming exclaimed, "I'd rather work to death than marrying you, no offense though."

"Don't worry. I also share the same sentiment. Anyway, I'll help you hook up with someone else so my future wife can stop this stupid matchmaking game already. Anyone caught your eyes?"

"Hmm…" the crown prince looked around the vast hall, "that black-haired guy hiding behind a pillar is cute. I like him."

Kyuella turned to look where his friend pointed at, "back off," he growled, "he is off-limits."

"Oh? That guy is your future wife?" Prince Choiming smirked, "should I join the game for fun?"

 

Kyuella stepped closer to the crown prince. There was barely a space between them. While Prince Choiming was smiling in glee, Kyuella only had a murderous look on his face.

 

"Don't you dare," Kyuella jabbed his finger on the crown prince's chest, "this isn't a game. I'm deadly serious with him."

"I know, I know," Prince Choiming raised his hands to surrender, "I just want to tease you!"

"You…" Kyuella's anger deflated, "first my family, and now you. Is it really that fun to tease me?"

"Yes," Prince Choiming chuckled, "I should stop it though. I think your future wife just misunderstood us."

"What?"

"Your future wife saw us and ran out of the hall. He probably thought that we were flirting."

"Crap! I must go after him now!"

"What about me? Didn't you say that you'll help me hook up with someone?"

"Then just go chat with that shortie over there!"

 

Kyuella randomly pointed at a short man standing at a cocktail table alone before dashing out. He kept asking royal guards and guests until someone told him that they saw a man who matched his description heading to a garden. Kyuella headed there without hesitation.

 

 

The clock hands were merely a step away from number twelve.

 

************************************

 

Yesung crouched down because he ran out of breath. Running while crying was too exhausting for him. Fortunately, everybody was enjoying the ball so no one cared if he cried his eyes out or what. He cried because it hurt so much, seeing Kyuella and Prince Choiming together.

 

 

He already knew it would end like this.

 

"They look so great together."

"I guess we have the next queen now"

"I'm fine if it's that person who the crown prince chooses."

 

Yet when he saw it himself how the two looked so good together, it still pained him greatly. As expected, Kyuella and Prince Choiming were a match made in heaven. He himself, on the other hand…

 

"What does that plain man do here?"

"He reeks of commoners. Perhaps he is here to look for leftovers?"

"He really didn't know his place."

"So ugly."

 

Those people were right. There was no way someone ugly, clumsy, poor, good-for-nothing, lacking in everything like him could stand beside Kyuella who was the manifestation of perfection...

 

 

"Yesung!!"

 

 

The fairy godmother flinched when he heard a familiar voice. He scrambled to get on his feet and run away but the other party got him first. Kyuella dropped down behind the black-haired man and pulled him into his arms. He gritted his teeth when he realized that his fairy godmother's shoulders were shaking from crying. He turned the man in his arms around to face him and gently brushed tears away.

 

"Yesung, if it's hurt to let me go then don't. Hold my hands tight and stay with me. I'll do the same and never make you sad."

"K-Kyuella, hic… I… hic,"

 

Yesung glanced up at the giant clock on top of the castle.

 

"I love you."

 

Yesung hooked his arms around the taller man's neck and pulled him down. Their lips met exactly when the clock struck midnight. A sound of a bell ringing echoed in the night as the two men were lost in their loved one's kiss. Kyuella cradled his fairy godmother's face so dearly as if he was afraid of blemishing the man. Yesung also clung on the brown-haired man so tightly as if his whole life depended on it. Two pairs of desperate lips beckoned the other and answered the call. They kept feeling their partner's lips until the bell stopped ringing. Yesung broke the kiss and stared at Kyuella.

 

"Kyuella, I love you."

"Yesung, I love you t—"

"But the magic hour ends now."

"What—"

 

Yesung pushed the brown-haired man full force and sent him falling backward. Kyuella yelped when his body fell into a bush behind him and couldn't get out. The fairy godmother stood up. He smiled in tears at the brown-haired man while slowly taking off the ring.

 

"Because I love you, I have to let you go and be with someone better than me."

 

The black-haired man put the ring into Kyuella's suit pocket. The taller man tried to stop the shorter man but both his arms were stuck in the bush.

 

"Yesung!! Don't do this!! This isn't helping any of us!!!"

"Goodbye Kyuella. The fairy godmother's duty ends here."

 

Yesung turned back and ran away.

 

 

 

Fairy godmother always makes people's wishes come true.

 

 

 

But who will grant fairy godmother's wish?

 

****************************************

 

At the accessory shop, the lady owner stood up from a rocking chair when she saw the door open.

 

"Oh dear… come here."

 

She beckoned the black-haired man to come in her arms. She hugged and gently rocked him while patting his soft hair.

 

"Dear, is this really what you want…?"

"N-Not at all, auntie, I love him, but he deserves someone better than m-me, people a-at the ball were s-saying and I knew it s-so this is for the best…"

 

The young man sobbed into the older woman's kind shoulder. She had many things she wanted to say but she could only sigh and keep comforting the man.

 

 

She can't help people who don't want to be helped.

 

****************************************

 

One week later…

 

 

 

"Dear, have you heard the news?"

"What news?"

"The crown prince will marry a man he met at the ball."

"Oh," the young man smiled sadly, "that's good news."

"There's bad news though," the old lady sighed.

"Eh? Did something happen?"

"Yes dear, apparently, there was a robbery that night and an important item was stolen from the crown prince's close friend. I heard that they're searching every house in order to locate the thief."

"That's unfortunate of them, but why haven't I heard about it before?"

"The royal guards probably didn't want to alert the thief. Anyway, dear, I told you that because it'll be our shop queue today."

"What? But auntie! You're away until tomorrow night!"

"That's why I'll leave it to you! Dear, good luck!"

 

The lady owner smiled and patted the younger man's head fondly before leaving.

.

.

.

.

The young shopkeeper was sweeping the place when the door was slammed open. A tall stranger in a knight outfit stepped into the shop. His face hiding under a hood shadow took a look around the shop before stopping at the sole employee. The black-haired man straightened himself up after realizing why the knight was here.

 

"Hello, sir, you're here to search the place, right? Go ahead but please be careful with our goods."

"That's unnecessary because I already found the thief."

 

The knight strode toward the shopkeeper and seized his small hand. His hood fell down revealing his identity.

 

"You stole my heart, my dear fairy godmother."

 

The knight smiled.

 

"Or should I call you Jongwoon?"

.

.

.

The shopkeeper, Jongwoon, widened his eyes in surprise after seeing the knight's face.

 

"K-Kyuella!? Why are you here!? Aren't you supposed to get married to the crown prince!? W-Wait did you just call me Jongwoon, not Yesung!? H-How!?"

"Because I knew who you are from the beginning," Kyuella smirked, "my my, Jongwoon, did you really think that I can't remember the man I fall in love at first sight with?"

"What!? L-Love at first sight!? But, but then that means!!?"

"Yes, I remember our first meeting too."

.

.

.

.

Four months ago…

 

 

"Jongwoon oppa, I heard that there is a nobleman living in the commoner district. Is that true?"

"That's true."

"Wow! They can live in a big house but they choose to not. They must be a good person!"

"Who knows? Maybe they're just a bunch of pretentious folks. Noblemen are like that."

"I know right? They look down on other people and do nothing but partying day in day out. What a bunch of fools!"

 

Jongwoon frowned and turned to look behind him. A tall, handsome young man in plain clothes was leaning against a tree. Noticing his questioning gaze, the man smiled and moved to sit beside him and the kids.

 

"And who might you be..?"

"I'm an ally of justice," the man beamed.

"Kids, let's go, don't associate yourself with a crazy stranger."

 

Jongwoon was about to leave but the stranger stopped him.

 

"Wait! Jeez, you don't know how to take a joke! I was kidding around!"

"Then who are you? What business do you have with me and the children?"

"You can call me Kkru! I was bored to death by myself and saw you guys sitting in a circle so I got curious. What are you doing?"

 

Jongwoon was still skeptical about the stranger but he answered anyway.

 

"I'm teaching them how to read and write and do basic math."

"Oh? Are you hired by their parents?"

"No, I didn't get paid for this. They're an orphan that the church looks after."

 

He smiled and patted the boy's head who sat on his lap.

 

"I'm an orphan myself so I know how hard it is to survive being illiterate. Well, I'm not that good but it's better than nothing."

"I see, so, your name is Angel, right?"

"W-What nonsense is that!?" Jongwoon blushed.

Kkru shrugged, "you're cute, you're kind, and you love kids. If you're not an angel then I don't know what else to call you."

"Stop it. You're just being weird."

"Indeed I am," Kkru winked, "I'm weirdly handsome, aren't I?"

 

Jongwoon glared at the man who shamelessly praised himself, though he couldn't keep it up and laughed out loud instead.

 

"Alright, nice to meet you, Mister Kkru the weirdly handsome guy."

 

Jongwoon beamed.

 

"I'm Jongwoon."

.

.

.

.

"I first fell for your look but later for your kind soul. After we met that day, I tried to find you but never succeeded because you always ran away from me!! Why!?"

"I-I found out later that you're that nobleman whom I was talking behind your back and I thought that I just offended a nobleman so I was scared!"

"Then why did you suddenly show up and approached me?"

"That…" Jongwoon looked down, "I heard a rumor that the king and the queen are looking for a suitor for the crown prince. I don't have money, power, or magic, but I still want to make you happy so…"

"So you thought that pairing me with Prince Choiming will make me happy?"

 

Jongwoon nodded sheepishly so cutely that Kyuella didn't have the heart to blame him, so he sighed instead.

 

"Jongwoon, happiness is different for each individual. While some people might prefer a suitor who is equal in power, for me, I prefer someone who can make me smile."

"But I'm lacking…"

"Who isn't? No one is perfect but even if there is that person, I still wouldn't bat an eye at them because I don't want someone who is perfect, I want you, Jongwoon."

"The crown prince…?"

"That guy is my best friend and we would never like each other that way. Besides, he already found the love of his life at the ball. He'll marry a rich merchant son named Ryeowook so your plan is a total failure."

 

Kyuella took out the same ring and put it back on Jongwoon's left ring finger.

 

"There, you have no reason to turn me down now. Anything you want to tell me?"

 

Jongwoon seemed hesitant but he made up his mind. He hugged Kyuella and glanced up at the man.

 

"I'm sorry for making it harder for us. Will you give me a chance and allow this imperfect me to make you happy?"

 

Kyuella smiled genuinely and pulled the black-haired man closer.

 

"Of course I'll. I mean, you're my fairy godmother, it's your duty to ensure my happiness, right?"

 

 

Smiling at one another, the couple closed their eyes and slowly leaned in.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thus, Kyuella and the fairy godmother Jongwoon lived happily ever after.

 

 

 

 

~Fin~