Chapter 8

Ms. Independent

 

 

She stared at her phone in disbelief after speaking to her uncle. “Ugh. Should’ve seen that one coming.”

 

She sighed loudly before making her way out of the room. Once outside, she saw Taeyeon staring intently at the TV. She smiled widely at the sight. She is getting more comfortable. Her smile suddenly dropped when she remembered what her uncle said.

 

She sighed again and mumbled, “Worth a try.”

 

“Taeyeon,” she called out.

 

“Huh?” The voice startled the girl and made her jump from her seat. 

 

She giggled at the sight of a panicking Taeyeon. “What are you doing?”

 

Taeyeon looked up, “Looking for the remote. To turn it off.” She pointed at the TV.

 

“Why? I didn’t say you should turn the TV off.” Tiffany made her way to the couch and pointed at something. “There it is. I bet you were sitting on it.” She laughed.

 

Taeyeon mentally cursed herself for not even realizing that she was sitting on the thing. She was too engrossed in watching that she didn’t notice. She took the remote and turned off the TV. She set it down on the couch’s armrest and mumbled to herself, “There. So no one could sit on you again.”

 

Tiffany heard it and laughed, “You’re too funny, Taeyeon. It’s okay though, you can watch as much as you want. I’m just happy that you’re doing something... well, something apart from just sitting there.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t know how to respond to that so she just nodded. She looked at Tiffany who looked like she was going to say something.

 

“Can you... uh... please... uh...” Sh*t, I can’t do this. “Go back to watching TV. I’ll join you after I get something from the kitchen.” With that, she quickly left the room.

 

“What was that about?” Taeyeon mumbled to herself before making her way back to the couch and, making sure she wasn’t going to sit on the remote and sat down. She turned the TV on and was immediately drawn by the movie.

 

---

 

“What was that, Tiffany?” She scolded herself once she was in the kitchen. She never thought she was going to be in this situation so she didn’t know what to do.

 

Ugh, why do I have such a smart uncle?

 

She walked out of the kitchen and into the living room to find Taeyeon sitting on the couch and watching the movie she didn’t finish earlier.

 

She sat beside the girl and stared at the TV. “What are we watching?”

 

“Muppets.”

 

Tiffany raised an eyebrow then turned her head only to find Taeyeon still focused on the movie. She let out an amused chuckle. “I can’t believe we’re the same age.”

 

Taeyeon pouted but didn’t take her eyes off the movie.

 

Tiffany laughed.

 

---

 

The movie ended after an hour and Tiffany wanted to change the channel. The remote control was on the other side of the sofa, near Taeyeon, and was out of her reach. She thought of it as an opportunity to at least ease herself into asking Taeyeon for help.

 

“Tae,” she called out but found it hard to articulate what she wanted.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Uh...”

 

Taeyeon turned to look at Tiffany. “What’s up?”

 

“Uh...” She still didn’t know what to say. “Could you... uh...”

 

Taeyeon chuckled, “Could I what?”

 

When she didn’t know what to say, she pointed at Taeyeon then the remote then to herself.

 

Taeyeon tilted her head, confused. “Huh?”

 

Tiffany did the action once more, completely hating herself for not being able to voice it out.

 

Taeyeon was still confused but grabbed the remote and place it on Tiffany’s lap gently. “Was... that... uh... what you wanted?” she asked carefully, still trying to figure out what Tiffany was trying to say.

 

Tiffany sighed before nodding.

 

Taeyeon sighed in relief. “Good.” She smiled then asked, “Something wrong with your voice?”

 

Tiffany shook her head. “Thanks for this.”

 

Taeyeon looked at her for a moment before nodding. “No problem.”

 

They watched TV for another half hour before Tiffany’s phone rang. She ran to her bedroom and answered it.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Fany-ah!”

 

“Oh, hi. What is it, Yuri?”

 

“Yoona and I are here at Jessica and Sooyoung’s. Want to come over too? You can bring Taeyeon!” Yuri said excitedly over the phone.

 

She had to laugh. “Why are you inviting me? That’s not your house.”

 

“It might as well be. We’re here almost everyday!”

 

“Does Jessica know you’re there?”

 

“She should, but I haven’t seen her since we arrived half an hour ago. I think she’s sleeping. Sooyoung knows though, and she owns this place too, so... good enough!”

 

She laughed again, “Okay. I’ll be there in a while. Have to ask Taeyeon if she wants to come too.”

 

“If she doesn’t, still drag her here,” Yuri said while laughing.

 

“Why ask her if I’m going to drag her there anyway?”

 

“To be polite, Fany-ah!”

 

“You’re really something, Yuri-ah. Okay, wait for us. See you. Bye!”

 

“Bye!”

 

She ended the call and grabbed her bag before stepping out of her room.

 

“Hey, Taeyeon. Want to come with me to Sooyoung’s house? The others are there and Yuri wants you to come,” she asked Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon smiled, “Of course. You really have nice friends, Tiffany.”

 

“I know,” she smiled back. “so... let’s go?”

 

Taeyeon snapped her fingers, “I need to change first. Is it okay if you wait for me?”

 

“Of course. I’ll be here.”

 

Taeyeon dashed to her room and quickly changed. She didn’t want Tiffany to wait long. Once she was done, she went out of her room and found Tiffany sitting on the couch while watching TV. She saw Tiffany’s car keys still hanging on the key holder by the door. She ran to it and snatched it. She turned towards Tiffany and got ready to fight for the keys. 

 

Tiffany looked up at her and sighed. As much as she wants to fight for the keys, she can’t. Her uncle’s words rang inside her head. She stood up and headed to the door, passing by Taeyeon who was obviously confused. 

 

Taeyeon shrugged before following the younger girl.