Chapter 5

Ms. Independent

 

 

“Okay, here we are.” Tiffany said as she stopped the car in front of the same café they went to yesterday. “I’ll only spend half of the day in the office so I’ll pick you up later, okay?”

Taeyeon gulped, “But I can just walk home. It’s really not a problem, Tiffany.”

“It’s not open for discussion, sorry. Now, go out, I have to go to work.” She shooed Taeyeon away, forcing the older of the two to unfasten her seatbelt and get out of the car as fast as she could.

Taeyeon watched Tiffany drive away before going inside the café. Upon entering, she immediately heard someone calling her.

“TAEYEON!” She looked to the side and saw Yuri waving her hand at her. She walked to the table and greeted the two younger girls.

“Hello.” She bowed.

Sooyoung and Yuri chuckled. “No need to be so formal. Come on, sit down.” Sooyoung pulled out a chair for her.

She smiled at the girl before sitting down, “Thank you.”

“No problem. Anyway, want anything to drink?”

“Ah, yes. Café latte would be fine, thanks,” she smiled.

“You heard her,” Yuri told the waiter and gave him a small smile. They watched the waiter leave before talking again. “So, Tae, what made you decide to be a personal assistant?” Yuri started to get the ball rolling.

“Financial problems. My parents are having a hard time keeping my sister in school so I decided to help them.”

“Ah... but... Tiffany?”

Taeyeon chuckled, “I didn’t get to choose who my boss was going to be, of course. I was just hired by her uncle. A friend from Jeonju used to work for him and put on a good word for me. I don’t know why he needed me to be her personal assistant, though. She wouldn’t let me do things for her,” Taeyeon unconsciously frowned.

Yuri and Sooyoung both giggled, “She’s really like that, even with us. We try to help her in any way we can but she always refuses.”

“Why’s that?” Taeyeon asked as the waiter gave her drink. She said thank you before returning her attention to the other two. 

“Certain events from her childhood made her like that.” Yuri said while taking a bite from her donut. “I guess she doesn’t want history to repeat itself?” 

Sooyoung nodded, “She shouldn’t blame herself for that though. It’s a tragic thing, but it was never her fault. It wasn’t her uncle’s fault either. That woman was just beyond crazy.”

Taeyeon was looking at the two; confused. She didn’t really understand what could’ve happened for her independent boss to be the way she is right now. Come to think of it, she couldn’t think of a reason any person would be that independent.

Yuri noticed Taeyeon’s confused expression and smiled, “As much as we want to tell you what happened, we don’t think it’s in our place to do so. Plus, we don’t think Tiffany would be ecstatic when she finds out we told you. It’s better if she tells you the story herself.”

Taeyeon nodded in understanding before sipping her drink.

***

“Tiffany,” she heard someone call her name from the door. She looked up to see Yoona staring at her with a blank expression.

“Yes? What are you doing here? Don’t you have work?” She said as she motioned for Yoona to take a seat.

The taller girl walked closer and sat on one of the chairs in front of Tiffany’s table. “I don’t.”

Tiffany stared at her for a few seconds, waiting for her to continue and possibly explain why she was in her office. Seconds turned into minutes, but Yoona wasn’t talking. Tiffany decided to ask instead. “And you’re here... why?”

“I’m bored,” Yoona whined.

“And you thought that going here would rid you of your boredom?” Tiffany asked with an eyebrow raised.

Yoona sighed while absentmindedly playing with a pen she found on resting on top of Tiffany’s table. “I called Yuri, but she told me that she’s hanging out with friends right now. I also called Jessica but she yelled at me for waking her up.” She stopped playing with the pen and looked at Tiffany with a frown, “Seriously, what does that girl do beside sleeping?” She shook her head and started playing with pen again.

Tiffany chuckled, “Let her be. I don’t want to ask her; she might throw something at me. Anyway, yeah, Yuri’s hanging out with Sooyoung and Taeyeon right now. She called Taeyeon this morning and asked her to hangout with them at the café we went to yesterday.”

Yoona ears perked when she heard Tiffany mention Taeyeon’s name. She put the pen down and smirked at the older girl. “Hmm... Tell me about this Taeyeon kid.”

Tiffany looked at her weirdly before grabbing the pen and started writing something for work, “What’s there to tell? Didn’t she tell you her life story yesterday at lunch?” 

“Don’t you find her the least bit attractive?”

Tiffany looked up, “What’s with you and Jessica? Do you do this often? Talk about how attractive a new friend is?”

Yoona’s shoulders slumped, “I have nothing better to do that’s why I’m asking. You have to admit though, she is quite cute.”

“I haven’t noticed.” Tiffany said as she went back to work.

“How can you not notice? You’re with her 24/7. We’ve only met her yesterday and we already noticed.” Yoona asked in disbelief.

Tiffany shrugged, “I don’t look at her that way? I don’t know, Yoona. I just haven’t. And it’s not like I have time to anyway.”

Yoona sighed, “That’s why your uncle hired her; so you wouldn’t be so busy. You’re so busy, you don’t even have time to appreciate what’s around you.”

“What are you talking about? Just because I don’t find Taeyeon attractive, doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate what’s around me.” The conversion was getting weirder for Tiffany. She wasn’t comfortable talking about Taeyeon like this. After all, the girl was just her personal assistant-turned-friend. She doesn’t feel any attraction towards the girl.

“Whatever.” Yoona stood up before saying, “I’ll get going. You’re no fun talking to. I’ll just go the café and get something out of Taeyeon instead.” She laughed at Tiffany before running towards the door and eventually, going out. 

Tifany sighed, “What are they doing? I only met Taeyeon days ago.”

***

“Hey guys.”

All three looked towards the voice and saw Yoona coming.

“Hey Yoong. What are you doing here?” Yuri asked as she stood up and greeted her girlfriend with a kiss on the cheek.

Yoona grinned at her before answering, “I was bored at home. I called Jessica, but your girlfriend yelled at me,” she pointed at Sooyoung making the three older girls laugh, “and I went to Tiffany’s office but she was so boring to talk to. She told me the three of you were here so I decided to come as well.”

Sooyoung nodded before standing up and moving to sit beside Taeyeon. Yoona smiled appreciatively and plopped herself beside Yuri who just sat down as well.

“So what are we talking about?” Yoona asked the three as she took a sip of Yuri’s coffee.

“Nothing much. We were just telling Taeyeon about why Tiffany’s acting the way she is.” This earned Yuri a glare from her girlfriend.

“What?! You told her about that? Don’t you know that Tiffany can kill you if she finds out?” She knocked Yuri on the forehead. 

Sooyoung laughed loudly while Taeyeon only giggled. “We didn’t tell her everything,” Sooyoung said while still laughing, “We just gave her... a gist? Yeah, a gist. We told her that something happened. What that something is, she has no idea.”

Taeyeon nodded in agreement. She was still obviously confused, but didn’t bother asking after seeing Yoona react rather violently.

“Can we talk about something else then?” She asked before turning to Taeyeon, “Sorry. Tiffany doesn’t really like talking about her past.”

Taeyeon smiled, “It’s okay. I’m in no position to question her actions anyway.”

Yoona smiled back. “So anyway, I was talking about this with Tiffany a while ago, but her answers were as boring as she is,” she chuckled before looking at Taeyeon who was taking a sip from her drink, “I asked her if she found you attractive.” Taeyeon choked on her drink. She struggled to put down her cup before grabbing the napkin in front of her and wiping the liquid that managed to escape .

Sooyoung and Yuri looked at Yoona with amused smiles and laughed at Taeyeon’s reaction.

“Um, why did you ask her that?” Taeyeon asked when she calmed down.

“I wanted to know,” Yoona said nonchalantly.

“But... she’s my employer. You can’t ask her things like that.”

“She’s your employer. She’s my friend. I think I have the right to ask her that.”

“But why me?”

Yoona shrugged, “You’re the first person other than us to spend time with her. Since the four of us are taken, I can’t ask her if she finds one of us attractive. And since you’re the new addition, I have to know.”

“But...”

“Don’t bother, Taeyeon,” Sooyoung interrupted, “Anyway, it’s done. She already asked Tiffany. Besides, it could be any person, it just so happens that you're the new addition.”

“Wouldn’t it be awkward though? I mean when she sees me later?” Taeyeon was worried that her boss might change around her. It was already difficult enough to do her job when Tiffany’s so nice. She couldn’t imagine how harder it would be when Tiffany starts avoiding her.

“Knowing Tiffany? It probably won’t. Don’t think too much of it, Tae. Yoona’s just really... inquisitive when it comes to things related to other people’s love life,” Yuri said while feeding Yoona the cake she just ordered.

Taeyeon nodded before eating her own cake.

***

A few hours passed when they saw a car pull up just in front of the café. Moments later, Tiffany stepped out of the car and looked towards their table and smiled. She pointed at her watch telling Taeyeon that it was time to go.

Taeyeon, Sooyoung, Yuri and Yoona all walked out of the café while the younger three were snickering.

“What’s with you guys?” Tiffany asked once they were near enough.

Sooyoung answered, “Tiffany, are you sure you’re not the personal assistant here?” Yuri and Yoona bursted out laughing.

Taeyeon’s eyes widened. She quickly walked towards the driver’s side of the car and snatched the keys right out Tiffany’s grasp. It was all too fast for Tiffany to process. By the time she realized what happened, Taeyeon has already opened the car’s door and was going inside.

“Yah!!” she shouted; startling the still snickering girls and Taeyeon.

“Yes?” Taeyeon asked innocently.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” She asked while raising an eyebrow.

“Getting in the car?” Taeyeon answered with no hint of sarcasm whatsoever.

“I can see that. But why are you going in the driver’s side?”

“Because...” she glanced at the three younger girls who were frozen in place before continuing, “I’m going to drive?”

“Did I tell you to do that?” 

Yuri, Yoona and Sooyoung were eyeing the two back and forth like they were watching a tennis match.

Taeyeon tried answering carefully, afraid that she might get a scolding, “...no... But... I’m your assistant, I should do these things without being asked.”

“But I told you that I don’t ne-”

*BEEEEEP!* 

Tiffany was interrupted by the sound of an incoming car’s horn. “Hey! Get out of the way!” said the lady driving the car.

Taeyeon grinned while sneakily seating on the driver’s seat and quietly closing the door. She rolled down the window and called Tiffany, “Ma’am! Let’s go! We don’t want to anger the other customers!”

Tiffany glared at the now closed window and gritted her teeth. She was not happy... at all. She stomped her way to the passenger’s side and opened the door to get in before slamming it shut.

Yuri, Sooyoung and Yoona watched the car speed it’s way out of the parking lot. 

“Well that was interesting.” Yoona said, earning a nod from the other two.

 


 

Sorry for the long wait! :) Comments please! :)