Chapter 36

Ms. Independent

 

A/N: For those confused, Hyoyeon is Taeyeon’s cousin. Sunny did mention in one of the earlier chapters (I checked and it’s in chapter 16) that she was dating Taeyeon’s cousin, and that cousin is Hyoyeon.


 

 

“I’m bored.”

 

“Huh?” Sunny asked.

 

“I’m bored,” Hyoyeon huffed. “I was so excited to come to Seoul because I thought I’d see the famous places shown on TV, but I’m just stuck here in this apartment until who knows when.”

 

Sunny sighed and put the book she was reading down on the table. “I’m sorry, Hyo, but we can’t risk Taeyeon finding out that you’re here. We still have to keep everything a secret remember?”

 

Hyoyeon didn’t answer and continued to sulk like a little kid.

 

Sunny chuckled at the sight. Hyoyeon was definitely Taeyeon’s relative. “Listen, I promise you I’ll take you out once we’re done with everything, okay?”

 

Hyoyeon sighed but nodded nevertheless. There has got to be a way for me to see the sights of Seoul.

 

---

 

Hyoyeon quietly tiptoed her way across the apartment. It was such an amazing feat that she was able to escape Sunny’s bear-hug like hold. She was sweating like crazy, afraid that she might wake Sunny up while trying to escape, and she can’t help but think that maybe sweating helped her slide herself away from her snoozing girlfriend.

 

She grabbed the bag she discreetly prepared before dinner and put her palm against the wall to balance herself while wearing her shoes. She took a deep breath before finally grabbing the doorknob and twisting it ever so slowly. The door opened and she slid out, careful not to close the door too loud. 

 

Once out of the apartment, she held back a curse as she was now staring at a very dark hallway. She wasn’t scared but it was very dark. She sighed and held her palm up against the wall (again) and walked towards the direction of the elevator. 

 

Not even halfway to the elevator, she accidentally pressed someone’s doorbell. Taeyeon and Tiffany’s to be exactly. She gasped loudly and brisk walked her away from the door before someone opens it. She hastily jabbed the down button several times – hoping, praying, pleading – for it to come faster. Just before she could jab the button one more time, the door of the apartment swung open, and out come a confused pajama-clad Tiffany. Of course she knows what Tiffany looks like. Just like what Sunny told her, you need to know who you’re hiding from. She had to stop herself from chuckling but not before a weird sound came out from .

 

Probably hearing the sound not so far from her, Tiffany looked up and stared at her for a while. It made her think that maybe Tiffany knows who she is, and it got her scared. But the moment Tiffany smiled politely, all fears disappeared.

 

“Hello,” Tiffany greeted.

 

“H-hi?” She wasn’t really sure if she was supposed to be talking to the ‘enemy.’ Yes, enemy because the girl could suddenly call Taeyeon and all of Mr. Hwang’s plans would be ruined and all her dreams of seeing and hearing the sights and sounds of Seoul would come crumbling down.

 

She saw Tiffany hesitate before asking, “Did you happen to ring our doorbell?”

 

She froze. “Er... accident. Sorry.”

 

Tiffany was about to say something when another voice interrupted her. “Tiffany, who was it?”

 

That voice. She cannot be mistaken. It’s Taeyeon voice. Giving it everything she has, she jabbed the button again with all her might and thanked the heavens above when the doors finally opened. She quickly entered the elevator and jabbed another button to close it.

 

She sighed in relief when the doors closed even before Taeyeon could see her.

 

Aish, this is too much. Seoul better be a d*mn beautiful place for me to risk my life like this.

 

---

 

Hyoyeon got back from touring the city with tired legs but a big smile on her face. Seoul was indeed a beautiful place and although she didn’t get to bring a camera with her, she made sure to store all the memories of the places she visited inside her head. 

 

She exited the elevator and had to stop herself from skipping happily to the apartment. She was happy but she didn’t want to wake up the neighbors – especially Taeyeon – if she ever trips on something due to the darkness of the hall. 

 

She again pressed her palm against the door – carefully, this time, afraid that she might press another doorbell – and walked quietly to Sunny’s door. She took the keys out and opened the door. She sighed in content as she removed her shoes but her moment was cut short when she heard the tapping of a foot against the floor. She feared the worst.

 

“Where were you?”

 

And she got the worst. She looked up, and before her was Sunny, glaring at her. “Um... hi?”

 

“Don’t ‘hi’ me! Where were you!?” Sunny hissed. “It was past midnight when I woke up to go to the bathroom only to find your side of the bed empty!”

 

Hyoyeon cowered at Sunny’s low, scary voice. “I’m sorry. I just really wanted to see Seoul.”

 

“And I told you we’d do that after everything’s over! We can’t risk Taeyeon seeing you! It’s a good thing she didn’t, because if she did, I’d seriously kill you!”

 

The guilty look on Hyoyeon’s face didn’t go unnoticed.

 

Sunny’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “You didn’t get caught, did you?”

 

“I... uh... not by Taeyeon,” She whispered.

 

“Grr!” Sunny started taking huge breaths, trying to calm herself. “You better be thankful that it wasn’t her or else!” Sunny glared at her one more time before turning back and making her way to the bedroom. “Sleep! Now!”

 

Hyoyeon couldn’t do anything but scurry after her girlfriend.

 

---

 

Hyoyeon woke up to the incessant ringing of the doorbell. She cursed whoever was behind that door for ruining her beauty sleep. And it’s a Saturday too! She groaned when she opened her eyes and saw that Sunny was still peacefully in dreamland. She smiled and leaned forward to place a gentle peck on Sunny’s cheek before getting out of bed.

 

She made her way to the door – not forgetting to look at the peephole first – and gasped when she saw who was behind it. She hastily unlocked the door and opened it only to be greeted by a warm hug. She smiled and returned the hug. “You’re finally here.”

 

---

 

Taeyeon and Tiffany were on their way to the elevator to go out on a date when they heard voices from Sunny’s apartment. Curious, Taeyeon checked to see who were there. Being best friends with Sunny since little, there was not a single person Sunny knows that she didn’t. She knows them all – from her preschool classmates to her colleagues – so she wanted to know who Sunny was with right now.

 

Without hesitation, she pressed the doorbell and waited for Sunny to answer the door. When she did, she noticed the girl’s face change from happy to shock. “H-hey, Taeng.”

 

“Hey. Um, do you have visitors? I heard voices. Omo, is your family here?” She tiptoed and tried to see who was behind Sunny but failed when the other girl kept blocking her view.

 

Sunny forced out a laugh. “Omo, Taeng. What voices are you talking about? I was obviously watching TV! Sorry, the volume must be too loud. I’ll turn it down.” She then changed the topic. “Are you going out on a date?” She eyed Taeyeon and Tiffany’s clothes.

 

Tiffany nodded vigorously while Taeyeon beamed a smile.

 

“Oh, nice. Well, at least get me something from wherever you’re going?”

 

“Sure,” Tiffany answered.

 

“Yay! Thanks. Well, I’ll go back to watching. Enjoy!” She hugged the two before hurriedly closing the door.

 

Taeyeon found her behavior weird but shrugged it off, thinking that Sunny has always been weird. That’s why we’re best friends. She chuckled.

 

“Why are you chuckling?” A voice, as well as a soft hand holding onto hers, interrupted her thoughts. 

 

She looked at Tiffany and smiled while intertwining their fingers. “Nothing. Let’s go?”

 

Tiffany nodded and they both made their way to the elevator.

 

---

 

The car ride to their destination was a quiet one and Taeyeon started to wonder if there was something bothering Tiffany. She held Tiffany’s left hand and caressed it with her thumb. “Hey, what are you thinking about?”

 

Tiffany smiled a small smile and shook her head. “Nothing really. I’m just excited for this date.”

 

“Oh come on, Tiffany. You can’t fool me. Is there anything wrong? Did... did I do something wrong?” It was her first relationship and she can’t help but think that she may be lacking a lot. 

 

“No!” Tiffany answered quickly. “No, you didn’t do anything wrong. I’m just... I don’t know. But I’m fine, Taeyeon. I’m really fine.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t believe her but she didn’t want to force Tiffany. She squeezed the hand in hers and smiled. “Okay, but please tell me if there’s something wrong? Whatever it may be?”

 

Tiffany nodded and forced a smile.

 

---

 

She woke up when she heard her phone ringing. She opened her eyes and looked at the time. 6AM. She huffed. Who could it be? She grabbed her phone and clicked to answer the call so it wouldn’t wake Tiffany up. She got out of Tiffany’s hold and went out of the room before placing the device against her ear.

 

“Hello?” her voice was laced with sleep.

 

“Unnie!” 

 

Her eyes shot open and she checked the caller ID and saw that it was her mother’s number.

 

“Hayeon?”

 

“Yes, Unnie!”

 

“Omo, is there anything wrong?”  She recalls her mom telling her not to call them unless there was an emergency. Her parents obviously just wanted her to complete her work without distractions and come back as soon as possible. She remembers telling them she will and that they should call her if there was a problem back at home – no matter what time or day. 

 

Hayeon calling her means...

 

“Unnie, I just miss you.”

 

She exhaled in relief but her heart clenched at the sound of her sister’s voice. Her sister was sobbing. She touched her cheeks and realize that she was sobbing too. She missed them. All of them. A lot. 

 

“I miss you too, Hayeon-ah. I miss all of you.”

 

“I really miss you, Unnie. I’m excited to see you soon.”

 

She unconsciously nodded and smiled. “We’ll see each other soon, Hayeon. I promise.”

 

Unknown to her, another person was sobbing along with them.

 


 

And with the start of drama comes the beginning of the end. Haha :) Dun dun dun....