Chapter 30

Ms. Independent

 

A/N: I did say I would try right? Haha. Had so much work to do yesterday, I didn’t get to finish this chapter. But I’m here now and 3 updates in 4 days isn’t so bad right? :)


 

 

They were in Tiffany’s office while waiting for Mr. Hwang to fetch them. Taeyeon still didn’t know where they were going but stayed quiet.

 

Tiffany was silent the whole time they were together and that worried her. It seemed like she had a lot on her mind so Taeyeon decided to leave her alone.

 

A knock was heard and soon, the door opened and in came Mr. Hwang. Both girls stood up. Taeyeon bowed while Tiffany walked up to him and gave him a hug.

 

“Are you girls ready?”

 

Both nodded and grabbed their things before walking out of the room.

 

It was quiet ride except for the jazz music softly playing. She was sitting at the back, while Tiffany was sitting in the passenger’s seat, staring out the window. She heard the girl sigh and it worried her even more.

 

A few minutes more and she saw them entering a memorial park.

 

It suddenly became clear to her.

 

Tiffany’s aunt.

 

She felt the car stop and the engines being turned off. The two Hwangs stepped out of the car and so did she. She watched as Mr. Hwang opened the trunk and pulling out flowers. She walked closer to Tiffany, who had a solemn look on her face. 

 

They followed Mr. Hwang and stopped when they reached a specific grave. She saw him kneeling down and placing the flowers on it, before standing up again and going beside Tiffany.

 

It was silent.

 

Dead silent. Pun not intended.

 

That was... until she heard sobs. She looked to her side and saw Mr. Hwang tearing from the other side of Tiffany. 

 

She patted Tiffany’s shoulder and waited for the girl to turn to her. “I’ll get him a bottle of water. I’ll be right back.” Tiffany nodded and she walked off.

 

---

 

She came back fifteen minutes later with two bottles of water. It was hard to find a store nearby so she had to ask some of the people living by the road where she could find a convenience store.

 

She was about to walk through the gates of the cemetery when she noticed the car they used parked just a few steps from the entrance.

 

Why is that here?

 

As she walked nearer, she saw two figures huddled by the pavement. She walked faster as she recognized Mr. Hwang and Tiffany.

 

Tiffany was crying hard on Mr. Hwang’s chest. He looked up at Taeyeon and asked for a bottle.

 

She scrambled to get one of the bottles opened and quickly handed it to Mr. Hwang.

 

“Here, drink this.”

 

Tiffany did as she was told, and soon after, she calmed down a bit. 

 

Mr. Hwang stood up and looked at Taeyeon. “I’ll start the car. Please help Tiffany.”

 

She nodded and helped Tiffany up. 

 

They slowly walked to the car and stepped in.

 

Tiffany was still tearing as they sat close to each other at the back of Mr. Hwang’s car. 

 

Soon after, Tiffany fell asleep on Taeyeon’s shoulder.

 

When they arrived at Tiffany’s apartment, Mr. Hwang turned to them and said, “I’ll help you carry her up to her apartment.”

 

Taeyeon shook her head. “No, sir, I can manage.”

 

He smiled at her. “I’m sure you can. Very well, let me just help you with your things and opening the door then.”

 

---

 

Taeyeon carried Tiffany to her room and tuck her under the blanket. She then walked out and briefly thanked Mr. Hwang before going back to Tiffany’s room.

 

She sighed as she sat on the girl’s bed.

 

What happened, Tiffany?

 

Just then, Tiffany started squirming as tears began streaming down her cheeks.

 

Taeyeon became alarmed. She quickly lied down beside the girl and went under the covers to hug Tiffany. “Shh... I’m here, I’m here.” She rubbed the girl’s back until the girl calmed down. 

 

Tiffany’s body relax and her breathing steadied. Taeyeon wiped her tears and kissed her forehead. “I’m just here,” she whispered and hugged Tiffany tighter.

 

---

 

An hour later, Taeyeon felt Tiffany move. She opened her eyes and saw Tiffany looking at her with wide eyes. 

 

“Where’s Uncle?”

 

Taeyeon yawned before answering. “He dropped us off a little more than an hour ago. You fell asleep so...”

 

Tiffany nodded and unconsciously winced.

 

Taeyeon noticed it. “I’m here to listen if you want to tell me what happened.”

 

Tiffany shook her head. “I’ll be fine. Just... a little sad that she’s gone.”

 

Taeyeon nodded but she knew that Tiffany wasn’t telling the truth. She decided not to push the younger girl. “Okay, but if you need me, you know I’ll be here, right?”

 

Tiffany smiled and leaned forward to hug the girl. “Yes, I know and... thank you.” She pulled away slightly to kiss the girl’s cheek.

 

Taeyeon beamed. “No problem.”

 

They held each other in silence. Both just trying to savor the moment. 

 

It wasn’t until Taeyeon spoke that the comfortable silence broke.

 

“Do you want to fix the things you’re gonna bring tomorrow right now or do you wanna do it later?”

 

Tiffany looked at her, slightly confused.

 

Taeyeon chuckled and brought up a hand to knock Tiffany’s forehead lightly before putting it back on the latter’s waist. “We’re going with the others to the beach remember?”

 

“Ah, yeah. Forgot about that.”

 

“So, do you want to fix your things now?”

 

Tiffany smirked before pouting. “Can’t you fix them for me?”

 

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at the girl. “Everything? Even your underwear?”

 

Tiffany smirk disappeared as her face reddened. “Don’t even think about it, Kim Taeyeon! You !” She hit Taeyeon’s arm before getting up and heading to her closet, leaving Taeyeon laughing loudly on the bed.

 

---

 

It was dinner time and the two were quietly finishing up their meals. It was silent and Taeyeon knew that Tiffany was thinking about something. She reached for Tiffany’s hand that was resting on the table and squeeze it lightly.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Taeyeon saw her force a smile. “Yes. Just a little tired from all that packing.”

 

She squeezed that hand again before letting it go and standing up. “Well, you can take a rest. We’ll be waking up early tomorrow, so sleep now. I’ll take care of the dishes.” She grabbed her plate together with Tiffany’s and headed to the sink.

 

She the faucet and gasped when she felt arms going around her waist. She slapped one arm lightly. “Yah! Don’t scare me like that.”

 

She heard Tiffany chuckle before the arms tightened around her. “Sorry.”

 

Taeyeon started washing the dishes. “Go to sleep now. I’ll just finish this up.”

 

After a while, Tiffany still wasn’t moving. Taeyeon stopped washing and turned to her. “Hey, what’s wrong?”

 

Tiffany looked up and Taeyeon was surprised to see the reddened cheeks.

 

“Can you... um... sleep with me tonight?” It was barely audible but Taeyeon was still able to hear it.

 

Taeyeon chuckled. “You must have infected me with your ertedness because what you said sounded so-... Ow!”

 

She didn’t get to finish her sentence as Tiffany smacked her arm before running to her room and slamming the door shut. She let out a hearty laugh.

 

She finished cleaning the kitchen and turned off the lights. She walked to Tiffany’s room and knocked on the door. “Can I come in?”

 

“Yes.”

 

She twisted the doorknob and opened the door. The room was dim as Tiffany’s lamp was the only source of light. She saw the girl reading a book with her glasses on.

 

Adorable. 

 

She walked to the bed and sat on it. She pulled out her phone and set the alarm. “What time are we going to meet up with the rest again?”

 

“About 6?”

 

“I’ll wake you up at 5? How does that sound?”

 

“Cool.”

 

“Cool.” Taeyeon set the alarm to 5am before placing her phone on top of the bedside table and lifting the covers to slide under it. “By the way, Jessica told me to ask Sunny to join, but that shorty said she’s going back to Jeonju to visit her family for the weekend. Remind me to tell Jessica okay?” After receiving a nod, she turned to her side to observe Tiffany.

 

The way the light emphasized the contours of her face. How it accentuated her long eyelashes, her pointed nose and her soft plump lips. Never have Taeyeon imagined that she would fall for someone like Tiffany. Not only was Tiffany beautiful, but she was smart and very kindhearted. 

 

And for Tiffany to like her back?

 

Totally unbelievable. 

 

“Stop staring.”

 

The voice snapped her out of her thoughts. “You’re beautiful, you know that?”

 

Tiffany blushed at the sudden compliment. She cleared and returned her gaze to her book. “Shut up,” she muttered under her breath.

 

Taeyeon smiled. “We better go sleep now. It’s late and I don’t want to have eye bags.” She shifted to lie on her back and closed her eyes. 

 

She felt Tiffany move and assumed that she was placing the book on the table before she heard a soft click. The bed moved together with Tiffany and soon enough, she felt an arm lying across her stomach. She moved her arm from under Tiffany to bring it under her neck and around her shoulders.

 

Tiffany snuggled closer to her and after a few minutes, both fell asleep. 

 


Thank you for all the comments! :) I appreciate every single one. And... welcome new readers! :D

@globalgen247: Really? I've never noticed. Haha :) Ate? Well, it depends on how old you are :) But if you're under 22, then, sure! :) You can call me ate :)