Chapter 21

Ms. Independent

A/N: Sorry for making you wait! 


 

 

Tiffany woke up the next day feeling a little down. Not only did she find out yesterday that she only had a few weeks left with Taeyeon, but the older girl was quiet the whole time they were together. She didn’t know why Taeyeon was silent the whole night. Even when they were having dinner, the older girl seemed to be lost in her thoughts. It was frustrating for TIffany especially when she tried to make conversation, but the girl only answered with a few words.

 

Today, she was determined to see Taeyeon smile again. If they only had a few weeks left, then she will spend it with a happy Taeyeon.

 

Getting out of bed, she rushed to the bathroom to quickly wash up. She stepped out of her room minutes later hoping to make breakfast with Taeyeon like they always did. When she went out though, she found Taeyeon eating by herself on the dining table. She approached the girl with a slight frown on her face. She sat down in front of the girl. 

 

“You made this by yourself? I thought we talked about doing it together?” 

 

She was not mad, but sad and hurt. If she only knew that the girl would change like this, then she shouldn’t have told her about the contract. Although in reality, she knew that she couldn’t hide it from the girl, and her uncle would probably call her about it. 

 

“Yes. I’m sorry. I know we talked about it but... you see, Sunny called this morning and asked me to help her move in.”

 

The last bit caught Tiffany by surprised. She’s moving in this fast? “Oh... they’ve talked to the landlord?”

 

Taeyeon nodded. “Jessica went with her yesterday when we were in your office, apparently. They agreed with the terms and the rent, so everything was fast. But you know, I’m only going if you allow me to.” She was hoping Tiffany won’t allow her so they could spend more time together.

 

“When have I ever not allowed you?”

 

Taeyeon silently sighed then shrugged. “It’s still more polite to ask.”

 

“Well, I’m only allowing you if you want to go.” Say you don’t, say you don’t.

 

“I-” Taeyeon was cut off by her phone. She answered it right away without looking at the caller ID. She was annoyed with the disturbance. “What?” She harshly said as she stood up from her seat and left for the living room.

 

Tiffany sunk back to her seat. Of course Taeyeon would want to help her friend. It must be exciting for the older girl to have her...

 

Wait, what is she to Taeyeon anyway?

 

Her thoughts broke when Taeyeon sat back down. “Hey, sorry about that but um... Sunny’s outside and she called me to help her with the boxes. I promise I’ll stop by the office after. She said there were only a few boxes anyway.”

 

Tiffany didn’t say anything but nodded. 

 

When Taeyeon left, Tiffany sighed then went to her bedroom to get ready for work.

 

---

 

“Aish, Soonkyu-ah! You told me I wouldn’t have to carry anything heavy! I won’t be able to grow after this,” she mumbled the last part but knew Sunny heard it when the girl started laughing.

 

“You’re almost in you’re 30’s, Taeyeon. You’ve stopped growing years ago!”

 

“AISH!” Taeyeon grumbled as she dropped the box on the hardwood floor causing Sunny to shriek.

 

“AHHH! Taeyeon-ah! Can’t you read?!” she pointed to the sticker plastered all over the box, “FRAGILE, TAEYEON-AH, FRAGILE!”

 

Taeyeon shrugged. “My arms grew weak. Sue me.”

 

“Whatever. Come on, there’s still some boxes left downstairs.”

 

---

 

“Waah! It’s finally done. You know, for someone who’s going to live alone, you sure have a lot of things.”

 

“I love shopping.”

 

“Since when? If I remember correctly, you hate shopping just as much as I do. Hyoyeon had to literally drag you from your house to the mall just to buy you new underwear,” Taeyeon said nonchalantly and sat on the newly bought sofa.

 

Sunny gasp. “Omo! She told you about that? Yah! Why were you two talking about me and my underwear?! s!”

 

Taeyeon looked at her weirdly. “Why are you so surprised? You’re her girlfriend and I’m your best friend, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.”

 

“Ew ew ew! Let’s not talk about that anymore. I’ll make sure that Kim Hyoyeon will get an earful from me when she gets here.”

 

Taeyeon sat up instantly, “Hyo’s coming here? Omo! When?”

 

Sunny’s eyes widened in surprise when she realized what she said. “Uh... I still don’t know when or if she will. W-we just talked about it one time and we’re still not sure.”

 

Taeyeon slouched against the couch again. “That’s too bad. I really want to see her.”

 

“Well, you’ll see her in a month and a half anyway.”

 

“How’d you know?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“How’d you know that I’ll be back in Jeonju in a month and a half? I never told you,” Taeyeon eyed her best friend suspiciously.

 

Sunny blinked a couple of times, wanting to slap repeatedly for blurting out something that she wasn’t supposed to know. “Uh... Jessica!”

 

“Jessica?”

 

Sunny nodded vigorously. “Jessica told me.”

 

“Ah... Tiffany must’ve told her then,” Taeyeon said solemnly.

 

Sunny noticed it and went to the couch to sit beside Taeyeon. “Hey, what’s wrong? Are you okay?”

 

Taeyeon shrugged then turned to look at Sunny. “I don’t know, really...”

 

“I feel like there’s a ‘but’ coming next. There is, am I right?”

 

Taeyeon nodded. “I... I felt down the moment Tiffany told me about the contract.”

 

“Why?”

 

She sighed. “I’m not really sure.” She cursed herself for almost forgetting the main reason she was in Seoul. Of course she had to go back. If she doesn’t, what reason would she give her parents for staying?

 

Her parents were against the whole idea of her staying far away from them. What will they say if she decides to stay?

 

She missed her family, undoubtedly. When she first came to Seoul, she wanted nothing but to go back to Jeonju. To her home. To her family.

 

But now...

 

Even if she does like her, she can’t choose Tiffany over her family. What kind of daughter would she be then? Her parents gave her everything she asked for. They weren’t rich but her parents made sure that she always had something to eat and wear.

 

How could she possibly choose someone – anyone – over them?

 

Sunny saw the troubled look on her best friend’s face. She scooted closer and placed an arm around Taeyeon’s shoulders. “Maybe you don’t want to go home.”

 

Taeyeon looked at her. “But why? I don’t have a reason to stay here. My parents and my sister are in Jeonju, what reason do I have to leave them there and continue staying here?”

 

“You can tell them that you’ll continue helping them by working here.”

 

“You and I both know that the money I’m getting from working for Tiffany could probably last until Hayeon finishes college. And you know how much my parents were against me going here. I doubt they’ll allow me to stay longer.”

 

“You know... you do have a reason.”

 

“I do?”

 

“Yes, but you haven’t realized it yet.”

 

Taeyeon scoffed. “And you have?”

 

Sunny smiled at her. “Yes.”

 

“Then what is it?”

 

“Tiffany.”

 

“Huh?” Taeyeon was confused. Very confused. “What about Tiffany?”

 

“You don’t want to leave because of Tiffany.”

 

“That’s ridiculous! Why would she be the reason?”

 

“So you’re telling me that she’s not the reason you suddenly don’t want to go home?”

 

“Well, it’s not that I don’t want to go home...”

 

“But you don’t want to go home now especially since you’re liking her company. Oh come on, Taeyeon-ah. I’m not blind. You like her.”

 

“W-what?! I d-don’t!”

 

“R-really?” Sunny said, mocking Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon hit her thigh, causing Sunny to remove her arm around the older girl’s shoulder. “Ouch! That hurt! No need to be violent, Taeyeon-ah.”

 

“Then stop mocking me!”

 

“I will, only if you stop denying that you like her.”

 

Taeyeon sighed. “Fine! Maybe I do, but it’s not like anything can happen. There’s only a half and month left, remember? I’m not even sure if she likes me back.”

 

“How dense can you be?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“You’re so stupid. If Hayeon was here, she’d probably pick up faster than you ever will.”

 

“Yah! Enough with the insults!” Taeyeon pounced on Sunny, causing both of them to fall from the couch with a loud thud. Sunny groaned in pain, but Taeyeon couldn’t care less as she was straddling the girl by the waist. She started tickling, and sometimes hitting, Sunny while the girl on the bottom couldn’t do anything but shout and jerk. 

 

It went on for a while until Sunny kneed Taeyeon on the back, resulting to Taeyeon’s upper body falling on top of Sunny’s. Her face was mere inches away from her best friend’s. Taeyeon was about to shout at the girl when...

 

“Sunny, I have your spare...” By the door were three women. Yoona, Jessica and...

 

“Tiffany...” Taeyeon whispered.

 

“...keys.” Jessica finished her sentence hesitatingly.

 

Tiffany’s eye flinched at the sight. What the...

 

Yoona, on the other hand, was looking at the scene amusingly. “Well, this is... welcoming.” She smiled widely as she went in the apartment and sat on the sofa.

 

Tiffany was still frozen in place. She only managed to hear Jessica whisper, “So will you tell her now?”