Chapter 12

Ms. Independent

 

They were getting closer with each passing day. Recently, Tiffany hasn’t had any problems letting Taeyeon do some work for her. Granted, she never asked for the help, but she didn’t mind Taeyeon helping anymore.

 

Through their playful banters, Taeyeon became more comfortable with Tiffany. The girl acted more like a sister or a close friend rather than a boss. Of course she never forgot what her job was, but it has become much more enjoyable with how they treat each other now.

 

Throughout the week, the same routine happened. Taeyeon goes to the office with Tiffany. She sits on the sofa to read some magazines. Goes out during break time to get some food for her and Tiffany. They’d eat together in the room. Tiffany somehow managed to persuade Taeyeon not to feed her anymore. It wasn’t so much about being independent now, instead, she was feeling rather shy.

 

Today was a Saturday and Uncle Hwang called Tiffany to tell her to go visit him at home. She agreed right away and told him she’ll bring Taeyeon along. The old man didn’t oppose.

 

She stepped out of her room to knock on the door of the room across from hers. Taeyeon was still asleep as Tiffany told her that there was no need to wake up early to clean the house since there was really nothing to clean.

 

“Tae?”

 

No answer. She knocked again.

 

“Taeyeon?”

 

Still no answer. She knocked harder and shouted.

 

“Taeyeon!”

 

She heard a thud followed by an “Ow!”

 

She assumed Taeyeon was awake now and knocked softer.

 

“Taeyeon?”

 

“Y-yes?” She heard Taeyeon say groggily.

 

“Uncle called. He wants us to go to his house.”

 

“What?”

 

“I said, Uncle wants us to go to his house.”

 

“Huh? What?”

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes and sighed. “Can you please open the door so we can talk properly?”

 

“Ah right.” She heard footsteps and soon, the door opened revealing a cute petite girl with wrinkled clothes and disheveled hair, slightly squinting due to the brightness of the sun.

 

Tiffany chuckled. “Well this is new.”

 

Taeyeon groaned. “Don’t tease.” She tried fixing her shirt and hair.

 

Tiffany laughed and reached out to help Taeyeon fix her hair.

 

The moment Taeyeon felt someone else’s hand on her hair, she looked up and saw Tiffany’s face close to hers.

 

When Taeyeon looked up, Tiffany realized their proximity. Her hand froze. She backed away slowly. “We’re going to Uncle’s house. Get ready. We’ll leave in an hour.” She walked away.

 

Taeyeon tilted her head, confused, but shrugged and closed her door to start getting ready.

 

---

 

 “Uncle!” she shouted as she ran to her uncle’s open arms.

 

“Aigoo, Miyoung-ah! I’ve missed you.” He hugged her tight.

 

“Missed you too, Uncle.” She gave him one last squeeze then let go. She stepped aside to let him greet Taeyeon.

 

“Ah, Taeyeon-ah,” he motioned her to come closer.

 

She bowed. “Good morning, Mr. Hwang.”

 

He smiled warmly and bowed as well. “Good morning too. Come on, let’s go in.” He led them inside his house.

 

He walked to the living room and told them to sit on the sofa. On the coffee table were two glasses of juice and a cup of coffee. He sat on an armchair adjacent to the sofa.

 

“So, how are the two of you?” He asked as he took a sip of coffee.

 

“Fine, Uncle.”

 

“We’re good, Mr. Hwang.”

 

“That’s good, that’s good.” He nodded. “So, Taeyeon, how’s Tiffany as a boss? Stubborn right?”

 

Taeyeon glanced at the now pouting Tiffany then grinned at Mr. Hwang. “Very.” She received a punch on the arm from Tiffany. She laughed. “But that’s alright. I’m getting used to it.”

 

Mr. Hwang smiled then nodded.

 

“Look who’s talking. You’re stubborn too.” Tiffany defended and pushed Taeyeon playfully.

 

“Yeah, but it’s for your own good, boss.”

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes. “Whatever.”

 

Mr. Hwang watched as the two continued to bicker with each other. He has seen his niece’s playful side many times before, but this what he was seeing now was a bit different.

 

“Uncle?”

 

Mr. Hwang snapped out of his thoughts when his niece called him. “Yes?”

 

“Are you okay? You’re quiet.”

 

He smiled. “Of course. I’m just a bit hungry because the two of you were late,” he joked.

 

“That’s not my fault!” Tiffany quickly defended and pointed at Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon eyes widened. “I- uh... um... I’m sorry.” 

 

Tiffany grinned victoriously while Mr. Hwang chuckled. “That’s alright, Taeyeon-ah. It was partly Miyoung’s fault too. I called about 5 times before she answered the phone.”

 

It was Taeyeon’s turn to grin. Tiffany didn’t say anything but slapped Taeyeon’s arm softly.

 

“I see that you two are closer now,” he said. “Very well then, why don’t I make lunch for the three of us?” He was about to stand up when two voices stopped him.

 

“I’ll do it, Uncle.” “No, let me, Mr. Hwang.” Tiffany and Taeyeon said simultaneously. They looked at each other before laughing.

 

“No, you two are guests, so let me,” he said. He stood up and proceeded to the kitchen.

 

The two girls followed behind, still persuading him to let them do the work. “But Mr. Hwang, let me do it. That’s what I’m hired for,” Taeyeon said.

 

“Uncle, let me do it. You shouldn’t be moving around that much.”

 

He chuckled before going closer to the two. “First of all,” he faced Taeyeon, “you were hired to help Tiffany, not me,” then he turned to Tiffany, “second, I’m not that old.” He held up a fist and knocked Tiffany’s head softly.

 

“Please let me do it, Uncle!” Tiffany pleaded.

 

“Yes, let her do it!” Taeyeon said, earning a confused stare from Tiffany, “Kidding. Let me do it, Mr. Hwang!” 

 

“You two just sit over there and let me do it. I don’t have time to argue with you, I’m hungry.”

 

“But wouldn’t cooking be faster if we help?” Taeyeon said logically with a wide grin. She was used to arguing with the stubborn Tiffany, so handling Mr. Hwang was a breeze.

 

“Aigoo Taeyeon, you’re too smart, and Miyoung-ah, you’re too stubborn,” he sighed, “Fine. You go cook, I’ll sit by the counter. It’ll be too crowded if there are three of us.”

 

“Why did I get the insult?” Tiffany mumbled before preparing the ingredients.

 

“Because you are stubborn,” Taeyeon said nonchalantly, earning a hard push from Tiffany.

 

The two were busy preparing and bickering that they didn’t notice the pair of eyes quietly observing them from behind.

 

---

 

“Miyoung-ah.” The sound of her uncle’s voice made her stop eating.

 

“Yes, Uncle?”

 

“How are you?”

 

“Oh? Me? I’m fine, as you can see,” she was confused, but answered anyway.

 

Mr. Hwang nodded. “Have you finally found someone you like?” He briefly glanced at Taeyeon without the two girls noticing.

 

She choked. “W-what?” she reached for her glass to drink some water, attempting to calm herself down. She felt Taeyeon pat her back. “Uncle, why are we talking about that?” she almost whined. “We have a guest here,” she pointed to Taeyeon who went back to eating.

 

Taeyeon looked up when she felt eyes staring at her. “Oh! Don’t mind me. Pretend I’m not here.” She smiled and began eating again.

 

Mr. Hwang looked at Tiffany again. “Well?”

 

She sighed, “No, Uncle, I don’t.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Never have I been more sure.”

 

“How do you know? Have you ever experienced liking anyone before?”

 

She shook her head. “No, but I’d like to think that I’ll know when I like someone.”

 

Her uncle had an amused expression. “Okay then.”

 

---

 

After a few more hours of chatting, Tiffany and Taeyeon bid goodbye.

 

The old man waited for the car to disappear from his sight before pulling out his phone and dialing a number.

 

“Hello?”

 

“It’s me.”

 

“Mr. Hwang!” the voice sounded happy, “good to hear from you again. How may I help you?”

 

“Good to hear from you too. Listen, I need a favor from you. You think you can do it for me?”

 

“Anything for you, Mr. Hwang. What is it?”

 

“Can you come to Seoul by tomorrow? I’ll handle everything, I just need you to come here.”

 

“Oh? May I ask why?”

 

“Okay, I’ll be there in the morning.”

 

---

 

The next day, Tiffany and Taeyeon were cooking lunch when the doorbell rang. 

 

“I’ll get it!” Taeyeon shouted, pulling Tiffany by the wrist when the younger moved to get the door.

 

Tiffany sighed and went back to cooking.

 

When she got to the front door, Taeyeon straightened out her clothes before peeking through the peephole. She gasped when she saw who it was. She opened the door excitedly.

 

“Taeng!” the guest said enthusiastically.

 

Tiffany heard it and went out of the kitchen. She was about to ask Taeyeon who it was when the short girl shouted, “Sunny!”

 

Sunny?