Chapter 1

Ms. Independent

 

“Excuse me, ma’am?”

She looked up to see one of her subordinates by the door.

“Yes?”

“Ah, ma’am, your new assistant is here.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Assistant? I never asked for one. You must have mistaken. Maybe it’s for one of the managers?”

“No, ma’am. It’s really for you.”

“Oh? But I didn’t- Aish, never mind. Send her in. Thank you.”

“Of course, ma’am.” With that, her subordinate left the room.

Moments later, a knock came from the door.

“Yes? Please come in.”

“Ma’am?” A head popped in from the small space at the door.

She looked up. “Oh hi, you’re supposed to be my new assistant right? Come in and sit down.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“No offense, but who hired you exactly? Because I don’t remember needing an assistant, let alone hiring one.”

“None taken, ma’am, but it was your uncle who hired me.”

“Uncle? My dad’s brother?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Why would he hire you?”

“He thought you might need some assistance?”

“Assistance? With what? He doesn’t have anything to do with this company so he can’t hire someone to work here... no offense.”

“Still none taken, ma’am. He told me you might react like this. Anyway, he doesn’t have anything to do with the company, but so do I.”

“Huh?”

“He asked me to personally assist you.”

“And that means what exactly?”

“Let me properly introduce myself ma’am.”

“Go ahead.”

“I’m Kim Taeyeon, and I will be your personal assistant.”

“Personal assistant?”

“Yes, ma’am. I don’t work for the company, I work for you.”

“I still don’t get it. Please explain.”

“Gladly,” Taeyeon said before shifting in her seat to get a more comfortable position, “You see, ma’am, I personally work for you now. It means, I am to do whatever you ask me to, whether it be for this company or for your personal needs.”

“I’m sorry but I don’t need a personal assistant. My uncle probably already told you that I can handle things on my own.”

Taeyeon nodded, “He did say you’d say that, but he still wants me to assist you in any way.”

“I don’t need anyone’s assistance.”

“I understand. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do, ma’am. Sorry. I was assigned this job and have already signed my contract.”

“Contract? For how long?”

“For as long as you need anything.”

“Well, that’s good then. You can consider yourself freed from this job because I don’t need anything. If I ever do need something, I am sure I can handle it on my own.”

“If that is your wish, ma’am. But... can you please tell your uncle? He did tell me to call him about what happened.”

She eyes Taeyeon for a while, before telling her to wait outside as she calls her uncle.

“Uncle.” She says over the phone.

“Oh, Miyoung-ah. How are you? Have you met the personal assistant I hired for you?”

“Yes, uncle, but you know that I don’t need one, so I don’t get why you hired her.”

“You’ve been too tired lately, I just wanted someone to help you. You never accept anyone’s help even when you already have too much to do.”

“But that’s just how I am, uncle. You know I always pull through anyway.”

“Yes, but for how long? I promised your parents I was going to look after you even if you’re already old enough to stand on your own two feet.”

“I don’t need you to look after me, uncle.”

“Oh, you don’t need a lot of things. Just accept the assistant I hired for you. If you still think you don’t need her after a month, then I will personally dismiss her.”

She stayed silent.

“Come on. Just one month.”

“Fine. One month. I can assure you as early as now, though, that I wouldn’t need her much, actually, I wouldn’t need her at all. So you should prepare to dismiss her after a month.”

“I had a feeling you’d say that, but let’s wait until the month is over. Until then, give it a chance. It wouldn’t hurt.”

“Okay. I have to go now, uncle. Bye.”

“By the way! Make her stay in your apartment okay? You’ve been living there alone for so long, you should have company.”

She sighed, “Bye uncle.”

“Bye.”

She sighed. 

She went out of her office to look for Taeyeon. She found the girl sitting by the water dispenser, looking around the office.

“Taeyeon,” she called out.

Taeyeon looked at her, stood up and walked closer.

“Yes, ma’am?”

“Let’s talk inside.” She ushered Taeyeon inside and made her sit. She then went around her table and sat on her seat.

“So Taeyeon, I’ve talked to my uncle about your job, and he told me to give it a chance.” She stopped to look at Taeyeon’s reaction.

Taeyeon nodded.

“I decided to comply. There is something you should know, though, I probably wouldn’t need you that much, or... at all. So don’t expect much work. As I’ve said earlier, whatever I need to do, I can do by myself.”

“Okay, ma’am.”

“Okay. Now, let’s make arrangements. Where are you staying now?”

“At my apartment a few minutes from here, ma’am.”

She nodded, “I don’t exactly know how this works, but are you supposed to live with me?”

“Oh, it’s up to you, ma’am.”

“How does it usually work?”

“I have no idea, ma’am.”

She raised her eyebrow, “You don’t? How many people have you assisted before anyway?”

Taeyeon thought for a while, “You would be the first ma’am.”

“If I’m the first, why did you have to think about it?”

She shrugged, “Just felt like it.”

“Okay? So, would you be uncomfortable if I ask you to live in my apartment? It has two rooms.”

“Of course not, ma’am. If that is your order, then I’ll gladly do it.”

“Okay then. I’ll give you my address.”

“Oh, no need, ma’am. Your uncle already gave me your address.”

“He did? When?”

“Yes ma’am. He gave it to me when he said something like ‘she’s probably going to reject your help, so if she tries to escape before calling me, here’s her address’” Taeyeon explained.

Hmm, no escape, she thought. “Okay, well then I’ll just see you tonight. You can go home and pack now.”

“Okay, ma’am.” Taeyeon bowed before leaving the office.

 


Chapter 1 yay!