one

Breaking Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It's been eight years.

 

Eight years since the person whom Seeun refers to as Grandpa Shim, took her in.

 

She was ten when her parents passed away in an accident. None of her relatives wanted to take care of her and act as her guardian, with the excuse of having too much on their plate, or that they couldn't afford to take care of another child.

 

The second Grandpa Shim learns of this, he didn't hesitate to step in and stretch his hand out to Seeun, asking her on whether she wanted to live with him instead. 

 

Yoon Seeun is not stupid. As young as she was back then, it doesn't take much for her to know that she's unwanted among her relatives so of course she took the hand of the old gentleman. 

 

She might not know much about Grandpa Shim, but she does know the fact that he was a good friend of her late grandfather.

 

Seeun had seen him once with her grandfather at the hospital.

 

Grandpa Shim was there when Seeun's grandfather first got admitted and never missed a visit until the day he passes away on his hospital bed.

 

It was only when they reached Grandpa Shim's home that Seeun learns that Grandpa Shim is no ordinary person. The house that he lives in speaks for himself.

 

Seeun is not poor by any means. Her parents used to work as researchers and their pay is enough to afford them a comfortable condominium in a good neighbourhood but to say that she comes from a rich family is an overstretch. 

 

Grandpa Shim however, was a different case.

 

Rather than being fascinated with the new environment, Seeun was scared. 

 

Scared of how she was going to be treated since she was after all, an outsider.

 

The thought didn't occur earlier since all she wanted to do was get away from her relatives but now that she's here, she wants to run away. 

 

Grandpa Shim must've seen the fear in her eyes, for him to reach out and pat Seeun on the head. "It'll be alright."

 

And it really did turn out alright. 

 

Instead of the scorns or leering eyes that Seeun was expecting from the rest of the family members, Seeun was warmly welcomed.

 

That's when she first sees nine year old Shim Jayoon, hiding shyly behind her older brother. 

 

"Yoon-ah, don't be rude. You should say hi." 

 

"...Hi," she says quietly, in which Seeun returns with her greeting.

 

"Hello. It's nice to meet you."

 

The memories of Jayoon - whom Seeun learns prefers to be called by Yoon, acting shy around her then makes her laugh sometimes because it actually didn't take them long to get along with each other.

 

Yoon in particular, was the one who likes following Seeun everywhere.

 

So when they learnt that Yoon was to be sent away to a boarding school overseas three years later, they were both heartbroken by it.

 

Seeun - being the older out of the two decided to be the more mature one. She kept her composure in front of the crying Yoon and comforted her the night before Yoon was set to fly with her parents.

 

And that was the last Seeun ever heard from her.

 

For Seeun to see the girl again unannounced during her graduation with Grandpa Shim was the last thing she would've expected.

 

Seeun couldn't recognize her at first, if it weren't for Yoon lowering her shades just to meet Seeun in the eyes and smiled at her. 

 

The Yoon that stood there was much taller than what Seeun remembered her to be. She had the tips of her hair bleached, donning a black leather jacket, ripped jeans and a pair of trainers.

 

"Congratulations for your graduation Seeun-ah," Grandpa Shim speaks first, breaking Seeun away from her thoughts. 

 

"Ah, yes! Thank you grandpa."

 

"I can't believe that you've already grown this big. Time really does pass by quickly." 

 

"Yeah, I can't believe it either. The next thing you know, I might be getting married in the next few years," Seeun jokingly says, though Yoon doesn't seem to be too fond of the joke. The change of expression on her face went unnoticed to the two.

 

"Do you even have a boyfriend though?" Yoon interjects. Seeun's attention returns on her once again. 

 

"I don't. I might though when I'm in college," Seeun pretends to think, tapping her chin in the process. 

 

"Hm," Yoon replies. She stares at the older girl without a word. For some reason, there was some sort of odd tension emitting from her. Seeun couldn't tell what it was though.

 

How could she, when it's been five years since they've last talked?

 

To say that she's unbothered with Yoon's sudden return was an understatement.

 

And to say that she's mad at the younger girl - for not contacting her at all throughout the years she were away would be too much as well, since she didn't know the situation Yoon was in when she was away.

 

To put it simply, Seeun doesn't know what to feel about it.

 

On how she should be treating Yoon, now that she's back. 

 

How do you treat someone whom you shared fond memories with when you were younger and hasn't spoken with in years?

 

"Alright kids, I have to go to my appointment now," Grandpa Shim says with a sigh as he takes a glimpse at his watch. For a seventy year old, Grandpa Shim is as healthy as he can get. He takes good care of his body by watching his diet and exercising regularly but even all those is not enough to fight against the nature of time. "Yoon will be taking you home. You're okay with that right?" 

 

Oh. 

 

"...Of course, have a safe trip grandpa," Seeun briefly wraps the older man into a hug before bidding her goodbye. She watched as Grandpa Shim's car drives off into a distance, right after the chairman enters the back of the black Mercedes Benz. 

 

"Should we go?" Yoon clears . She extends her arm out to Seeun - who was confused at first at the gesture until Yoon explains herself. "Your graduation gifts. It'll be hard for you to carry all of them to the car." 

 

"Ah... Um. Thank you then." 

 

"No problem." 

 

Seeun awkwardly handed the gifts over to Yoon. She tilts her head back to the direction of the auditorium and remembers that she promised to meet her friends there for one final photo session. "Do you mind waiting though? I promised my friends that I'll be taking a picture with them after this." 

 

"That's fine, it's your graduation after all. I'll just put these in the car and wait for you near the gate," Yoon replies with a nod. 

 

"Okay... Well, thank you." 

 

Right before Seeun gets to leave, Yoon manages to call out to her. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter