My brain is broken so heres something unrelated

The Tonight Project

Breathe in, breathe out, repeat. 

 

Seungwan opens her eyes, there's a crowd gathered in the city square, loud and jeering as they lob rotten fruit and vegetables at the platform. Their cries rise and fall as the king makes a speech, empty words declaring safety of the kingdom and unity–things to placate the mass of ignorant citizens. She's okay with it, she's come to terms with her death. She did five days ago, curled up in the corner of her cell shivering and bruised after a rough interrogation. Seungwan breathes. 

 

The executioner steps forward with the royal advisor and Seungwan knows its time. The advisor clears his throat and the crowd, for all its worth, is silent. "For the crimes of treachery, violence, disobedience, thieving, and breaking and entering, Wendy has hereby been sentenced to death by hanging." The crowd roars. 

 

They made a good show of her, parading her back from the fringes of the kingdom, mocking her capture and embellishing the truth of her daring attempt to steal state secrets. Called her all sorts of names but all boiled down to a traitor to her country to those listening. In some ways, she became a celebrity, but the consensus was as a criminal due justice. 

 

The executioner is silent as she walks over to the lever and he never blinks as he watches for the sign to drop her. Seungwan looks forward, over the crowd and stands tall, unafraid of her fate. Shell face it with pride and dignity.

 

The drop never comes. Seungwan glances over to the executioner and watches him fall face first onto the platform. An arrow sticking out of his back; yellow and green feathered. She smirks and looks forward again. Her eyes focused beyond the crowd but she can feel their stunned silence.

 

An arrow wizzes past her and impales one of the poles holding up the king's tent, and another lands on the front of the platform. There's a small object on the front that Seungwan recognizes as an explosive just in time for both to go off in rapid succession. Splintered wood rains down over the crowd and smoke wafts out to cover the vicinity. Chaos breaks loose but the most Seungwan can make out is the screams. 

 

"Thought we would let you die, huh?" A husky voice whispers in her right ear. 

 

"Well, I could've been a martyr, maybe ascended to sainthood if the king was ever exposed." 

 

"I would never let that happen, Wan." 

 

"I know Hyun. I know." 

 

Joohyun places a kiss on Seungwans cheek and unties her binds. "We must be quick."

 

"Where are the others?" Seungwan asks and rubs the raw skin on her wrists. 

 

"Already ahead. Come, they are waiting." Joohyun reaches her hand out for Seungwan. 

 

Swungwan looks back at the thickening smoke and then Joohyun, "let's go." She grabs Joohyun's hand and feels the familiar sensation of her body being twisted and turned and then tumbled around before she is deposited on the ground in a heap. Her breathing is laboured and Joohyun is quick to kneel down beside her.

 

"Wan? Are you okay?"

 

"Ya… just, just give me a second. That one really sapped me."

 

Joohyuns brows furrow. "We must be quick, we are not far and the guards could easily find us here. We must make for the horses." 

 

"Ya… I just… need-" her eyes close and the last thing Seungwan hears is Joohyuns cry.

 

Writing depression is hard. I could twll you all about it and what it feels like but expressing that through another character is... I feel like I'm going crazy! Anyways... Maybe I'll make a twitter or something share my brain storms and art :D