Irene

24 Hours With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5:40 AM

 

Irene was having a normal day. A typical friday for the likes of her who will be on her way to the university, spend all her time inside the four corners of their room, and listen to her professors blabber about things she wouldn't use in real life.


She stretched her limbs and shivered when she heard the popping of her joints.


Ugh. She hates that. It sounds disgusting and scary and she glares at those who crack their knuckles near her. It's usually the case but there was one person who couldn't get the hint despite her murderous glare being thrown at her way.


Or maybe, Irene wasn't being as scary and intimidating as she would want to look because well...


The girl who unceremoniously cracks her knuckles was none other than Kang Seulgi, who is pretty as hell and the most talented person she has ever met.


Well, technically, not met met. Because despite being classmates for the last past four years, they haven't really talked to each other despite acknowledging one's presence through a small nod or a smile that's just barely there.


It was frustrating for Irene to see Seulgi everyday and not talk to her or see her eye smile directed at her. It was maddening to know that she's just two seats away from her own and hear her giggle and talk and be friendly with everyone but her.


And she shouldn't feel this way because it's childish and totally out of her persona but who could blame her, though?


For the last four years they've been classmates- or from the moment she saw her in their orientation on their first day of school, she knew she was doomed.


Irene Bae was smitten by Kang Seulgi's bear like features and sadly, her attraction evolved into something more beautiful but also painful.


But she didn't want to think about that now as she glanced towards her clock and saw that she'll be late if she wouldn't get her up and move away from her very tempting and soft bed. She made a dash towards her bathroom, cleaned herself and started to choose her outfit for the day.

 


6:36 A.M


She wasn't in the mood to dress up so she picked a striped black and white long sleeve shirt, black pants, her ever so trusted white sneakers and her black leather jacket to pull everything off. Her hair was getting in the way so she decided to put it in a ponytail with a few strands loose and she picked up her black and silver rimmed glasses.


Satisfied with how she looked, she took a last glance in the mirror and  hurriedly went down the stairs. Grabbing an apple from her kitchen countertop, she shouted an "I'm going!" to her friend and flatmate Son Wendy who was still inside her room, probably sleeping after doing her medical school requirements.


Irene was busy shoving her things inside her bag that when she opened the door, she didn't see a person infront of it, who was constantly shifting her weight from one foot to another or the bag that was laid beside the stranger.


Her foot caught the strap of the bag and she tripped. Thank goodness for fast reflexes that she quickly regained her balance. Once she fixed herself, she gave her nastiest glare at the bag that was splayed flat on the floor.


Who left this stupid ing bag infront of their door?! She wanted to shout out of frustration when an unfamiliar voice echoed inside the vacant hall.


"Woah! Careful there." She heard someone say and the same person chuckled. "Please don't give my bag that look, she's innocent."


Irene stopped for a moment to realize that there was someone standing beside her and holding on to her arm. She looked at it and the other flinched at her gaze, immediately releasing her hold and bowing her head.


"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to- I was just trying to help you."


Her whole being was stirred when she caught sight of monolid eyes looking at her with worry and apprehension.

 


7:02 A.M


Holy .


Irene didn't know how long she was staring until Seulgi extended her arm and offered her a shy smile.


"Hi!" She started, her voice rising an octave higher and her eyes turned to crescents.


Oh no.


Irene's heart was starting to become a fluttering mess.


Oh no, indeed.


"I'm Seulgi. Kang Seulgi."


"Are you lost-?" baby girl?


What the hell?!


Irene slapped herself internally as the flashbacks of that movie entered her brain.


Seulgi withdrew her hand when she didn't reach for it and used it to scratch her brow.


"Uhm... no."


"Are you the new tenant next door?"


The younger shook her head again. "No."


"Oh."


She let the word hung in the air as they both stare at each other. Irene took a bite of her apple and despite her racing heart, she maintained her calm and collected expression.


"Well, then. I guess you're looking for Son Seungwan. She's still-"


"Son Seungwan? Oh! You mean Wendy?"


"Yes. You're not... looking for her?"


"I... err. Can I ask you a favor?"


Despite being confused, she slowly nodded her head. "Okay?"


Seulgi bowed her head and bit her lips, her eyes casting downwards. "This is gonna be weird but..."


Okay. Her mind and heart were running a thousand miles per minute, waiting for Seulgi to finish her sentence.


"But?"


"Can you please go inside again then open the door normally? Like you always would everyday- err... not that I know about it but-" she sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose.


She looked at her again, her eyes desperate and pleading. With her puffed cheeks, she asked, "Please?"


Irene couldn't say no to that adorable face. No, she wouldn't decline any requests from Seulgi but that didn't mean that she'd obey it immediately. She took her time looking at her, analyzing what the hell was going on inside her mind to ask her for that, and what the hell was she doing infront of their apartment door?


Seulgi fidgeted under her gaze but when their eyes met, she gave her a smile that immediately turned her eyes into crescents.


Feeling her legs slowly turning into jelly, Irene quickly nodded her head and went inside. Seulgi closed the door for her and after a few seconds, she heard a knock.

 

 

7:38 AM


What the hell is happening?


Did Seulgi, the innocent bear she was known for took a crack of some sort and was high as hell?


She didn't know and she was already getting late and as much as she wanted to stay and play with whatever game Seulgi was playing, she opened the door quickly, while trying to formulate a sentence to nicely say to the love of her life to off.


But the words caught on when red roses were suddenly infront of her face and Seulgi was smiling from ear to ear, her eyes almost nonexistent and her cheeks were fluffy and full.


Irene, with scrunched brow and squinted eyes, reluctantly accepted the bouquet and looked at Seulgi as if she grew another head.


But the taller one, who was flustered and shy awhile ago was gone and replaced by the confident and jovial bear. "Hi, Irene Bae. I'm Kang Seulgi."


"I know you-"


But she was cut off when Seulgi took her left hand (who wasn't holding the roses but the apple), took the fruit out her hold using right one and transferred it to her left. Irene's empty hand suddenly felt warm as Seulgi's own invaded the spaces in between it. She slightly squeezed it and gave Irene another dazzling smile.


"I- Uh... I'm sorry but your hand? And... my hand? " Irene stupidly said while looking at their clasped hands, her cheeks feeling hot and a smile was threatening to spill from her face.


Seulgi shook her head and started to walk towards the elevator without a hint of guilt or awkwardness from everything that's happening around them. "I'm not going to let go. This is part of my duty."


"Duty?"


Seulgi suddenly halted and faced her. Her expression was the most serious one Irene has ever seen on her and she slightly felt scared on what would happen next.


"Yes. My duty."


"What? Duty for what?"


"Oh. I forgot to mention that Ms. Bae Joohyun..."


She gulped. "Y-yes?"


"I'm your girlfriend for the day."

 


8:20 A.M

 

Irene must be dreaming.


Yes that must be it.


Maybe she fell asleep again when she was on her bed thinking about Seulgi and how she met the girl. Because that would only be the logical explanation to all of these weirdness right?


Right?


Because in no way in hell would Kang Seulgi do all these and tell her that she was her girlfriend for the day.


No way in hell.

Regardless of how perfect their hands were with each other, filling every space in between their fingers, or how warm and soft Seulgi's slightly larger hand compared to her cold and clammy smaller ones, she desperately tugged her arm away (even if she didn't want to because gods! She's been dreaming for this to happen.)


And she didn't know if she should be thankful or annoyed that Seulgi wouldnt just let go. That every time she pulls away, Seulgi's grip on her only tightens and when she stops struggling, Seulgi's thumb would slowly trace small patterns on it.


"Is this a prank?"


The dopey smile Seulgi was sporting was too good to be true, making her believe that Seulgi was indeed high as .


"No."


"Are you high?"


"What?"


"Are you high? Have you smoked a joint and decided to do this just for fun?"


Seulgi stopped walking and faced her again. "No! I don't even smoke, or... I- err. Yes I drink but I don't take drugs or smoke , Irene."


Oh sweet baby Jesus!


She loved how her name rolled off her tongue like that. Like a song and a whisper at the same time, making her legs weak and her heart race rapidly.


"Then why are you doing this?"


"Because I want to. Don't you?"


She almost choked on her own saliva and wanted to smack the taller girl upside down because what the hell?


How dare she ask such an obvious question?!


She fantasizes about this everytime she'd see Seulgi smile at other people or how she'd stare at her longingly while Seulgi was unaware of the eyes that was watching her.


She forgot how many times she wished that she had more guts to finally talk go her or have enough courage to even look at her when Seulgi was near her.


The question almost offended her if not only for Seulgi's sad eyes and quivering lips. She looked like a puppy instead of a bear and Irene wanted nothing more than to crush her with her hugs and pepper her with kisses.


Where the did the confident Seulgi go?


"Your duality baffles me."


Seulgi eventually let go of her and sighed. "Here. I'm sorry."


Wait what?


"Where are you going?"


"Home."


"You're gonna cut classes?"


"Yeah."


It was adorable to see Seulgi pout and sulking.


Irene slowly walked towards her and clung into her arm, making the taller girl stiffen at her blatant clinginess.


"I'm going with you."


"No."


"But... didn't you say I'm your girlfriend for the day?"


"I thought you didn't want to...?"


"I didn't say anything. Let's go?"


Seulgi finally grinned and Irene's heart hammers inside her ribcage.

 


9: 14 A.M


"Is this... okay for you?"


"Seulgi, we're in a Han river."


"Don't you like it?"


"Silly. Nothing can go wrong when you're in a park on a school day."


"We're college students, Irene. Our schedule is open to change."


She nodded. "What's the plan?"


"To be honest? I don't know."


Weird. Didn't she plan anything at all? Irene however, whipped as she was decided to just let it go.


"I haven't had breakfast yet so let's eat first?"


"Okay. But what can we eat here?"


"Ramen?"


"Ramen."

 

 

9:53 A.M


"You can never go wrong with ramen and Han river."


"True. I can attest to that."


"Why? Does your dates take you here, Irene?"


"Dates? As if. No. I just like to... walk or jog when I have the time or when the pressure of the exams is already too much."


"So.. I'm the first one to take you here? Wow."


She shoved her. "Don't get too full of yourself. I've had dates here too, you know. How about you?"


"Yeah. I take my dates here."


She choked. "I'm kidding! Same as you, I like to chill here for a bit when things are too much to bear. Especially at midnight or the earliest crack of dawn."


"I haven't... tried that."


I want to try that to. With you. But this only lasts for a day.


"You should and eat ramen while gazing at the calm river. It's therapeutic."


"I'll keep that in mind."


She smiled sadly but it with Seulgi's arm resting on her shoulder, the sadness was swept away by the wind... gone and long forgotten.

 


10:27 A.M


"The weather's nice today, isn't it"


"Wanna ride a bike?"


"I don't how."


"Leave it to me. Let's go?" She offered her hand and took it. They rented a couple's bike and Seulgi was the one driving while Irene was sat behind her.


"Dont let me fall, Seulgi."


"Dont worry. I'll catch you."


"Stupid. You cant. We'll fall at the same time."


"Then I'll fall with you."


I like that. I like that a lot.

 


11:00 A.M


"Let's stop. You're already sweating."


"No. It's okay."


"Yah Kang Seulgi!"


They stopped for a little while since Seulgi was a little bit deterred vec of Irene. "Geez. Didn't know my name could sound so secy and terrifying when you say it."


She touched her forehead and using the sleeves of her shirt, she wiped the sweat of the younger, who watched her every move with soft eyes. "Let's go back."


"Wait. Irene."


"Yeah?"


"You're sweaty too."


And just like what she did to Seulgi, the younger wiped her sweat gently using the sleeve of her checkered polo.


"You are so pretty, Irene."


"That's the heat talking. Let's go."


And she turned her head slightly when she heard Seulgi laugh and entwined their fingers again.


You're making it hard not to fall, Seulgi.

 

 

12: 00 P.M


"Are we really going to cut class for the whole day?" Irene asked while biting her lower lip.


"That's my plan. Why? Do you have other... plans?"


"Seulgi,"


"Hm?"


"We have a test, remember?"


Seulgi groaned. "Oh gods. I didn't study for that test!"


"You didn't? Why?"


"I- I was busy..."


"With?"


Seulgi's hold on her slightly loosened and eyes wouldnt meet Irene's own. "With... something."


"Okay."


"Are you gonna attend that class?"


"You wouldn't?"


"I don't know."


Irene wasn't sure as well. It was a three hour class and she'd rather spend it with Seulgi than to sit and listen to the boring lecture. It was tempting to drop everything for Seulgi, because it's not an everyday occurence to find the person you like the most standing infront of your door and ask you to be her girlfriend, right?


It was really really tempting and Irene was convinced to do if but Irene wasn't like that. She had dreams- she after all was a high-flier- and failing wasn't one of them.


"I'm gonna go back... how about you?" Irene asked, unsure.


"I'm your girlfriend, aren't I?" Seulgi cheekily said and with a heavy heart, they both walked quietly back to the university.

 


12:50 P.M


"Here we are,"


She looked up and the old beaten wood door greeted them. It was what Irene had been seeing for her last year and college and today wasn't any different. It still looked worn and making her feel that she wasn't supposed to be there.


But her decision was firm and she gripped the door handle tightly. She sighed as she fixed her hair, then she gave Seulgi a small smile. "Here we are, indeed."


Irene was about to enter when Seulgi held her by her arm and she looked to see her looking down with puffed cheeks.


"What is it?"


"Can I... Can I sit beside you?"


Adorable.


Oh gods. Seulgi was ing adorable!


She wanted to squeal at the sight of Seulgi and her adorableness but she held it and playfully shoved her aside.


"You know we have assigned seats here, Seulgi."


A pout became visible on her face and she huffed, "Aww. Crap."


Irene giggled, "Come on, you big baby."


Their seats were at the opposite ends of each other and their glances spoke volumes of how much they didn't want to be separated.


"See you later," Seulgi mouthed with a wink at her when Irene was finally settled in her seat.


A smile was her only response and took out her notes to review.

 


2:30 P.M


Focusing on her exams shouldn't be a problem to her but a certain monolid girl with bear like features was distracting her from fully being immersed in their test.


Her eyes kept drifting towards Seulgi's seat and see the latter squinting at her paper or biting her lip, or tapping her pencil in a motion that Irene could only guess as Seulgi's technique to answer wherever its tip will end up in.


Seulgi was like a child that was unprepared for a test and she could see her scowl and sometimes she'd see her whine in her seat and throw her head back in frustration. It was kinda funny and distracting, and Irene was amused to no end when the younger pulled her hair with her hands and messed it while glaring at the innocent paper.


Someone cleared his throat infront and when she averted her gaze, Irene saw that the professor was looking at her, with his brow raised in question. She sheepishly smiled and pretended to think before diverting her attention back to her own test.


She tried so hard to not glance at Seulgi again and just watch her tackle the exam with her silly expressions but goddamn it was hard. It's already bad that they're spending 3 hours of their limited time as girlfriends in this test but not to look at her while being that cute?


It was torture and she never thanked the heavens so much when the bell rang and the professor's voice boomed inside their room announcing that they should pass their papers already.

 

 

4:15 P.M


"You sure were having fun while answering that exam," Irene joked when she saw Seulgi emerging from the door. The younger was one of the last ones who finished the exam so the room and the hall were scarce of students, making her bolder in approaching Seulgi.


Seulgi groaned and massaged her temple in annoyance. "You saw?"


She nodded. "Oh my gods, that was so embarrassing! I knew nothing!"


"So how was the eenie-minnie-miney-mo worked for you?"


"Irene!" Seulgi shrieked with reddened cheeks. Irene only laughed at her and looped her arm on her girlfriend. 


Holy . That sound so good. She had to bite her lip to stop herself from squealing.


Kang Seulgi is her girlfriend. Oh my gods.


Someone... Oh no. Not just any someone, no. Her girlfriend Kang Seulgi nudged her with her elbow, gaining her attention."Hey, you're spacing out."


Irene grinned sheepishly before apologizing. "Sorry. I was just thinking if I could use your technique as well in the next test."


She chuckled when Seulgi whined beside her and pouted.


"Hey, where do you want to eat?"


She asked but Seulgi didn't reply. Irene took a peek at her face and saw that the girl was still pouting and sulking which made her chuckle. "Omo. Is the big baby mad at me?"


Seulgi only rolled her eyes and tried to remove her arm on hers. She even heard a small hmp from her which made her squeal and fawn at how adorable a mad Seulgi was.


"Seulgi," Irene cooed, "Don't be mad at me, please? You seriously looked cute when flustered."


"Your compliment will get you nowhere, Irene. I looked like a fool while taking that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter