Final

One Shot, Two Shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CAMP MAN KIK-KO, BUSAN, SOUTH KOREA

 

 

“Last time she was here, it was because she wasn’t paying attention during a briefing session. Now it’s because she fired at the officer’s barracks?” An angry old man said to the soldier in front of his desk.

 

“It was an accident, sir. She forgot to put her safety on,” Krystal said, standing straight despite the harsh words she was hearing.

 

“If you can’t get your soldiers in line, how am I supposed to trust you with a bigger unit?” The man said with a strained neck and a fuming face.

 

Krystal looked the man dead in the eyes, accepting everything being said.

 

Outside the door, the soldiers from the said unit crowded the door, eavesdropping on the private conversation. The soldier in question, however, stood away from the group, near the exit of the building.

 

“If it wasn’t for her father who’s a general, she would’ve been dismissed from her first error.”

 

The commanding officer balled her fists, her jaw clenched.

 

“She’s a great soldier, sir. Just a bit clumsy.”

 

The man in front of her scoffed.

 

“We do not need clumsy soldiers shooting all willy nilly, Lieutenant Jung. We need disciplined soldiers.”

 

The soldiers outside the door were laughing at the mistake of their comrade, not caring if they could be seen by the said soldier.

 

“Starting tomorrow, your unit will be assigned to Dead Man’s Land as punishment,” the man said casually as he wiped his glasses.

 

The soldiers outside of the door stopped snickering upon hearing the Major’s command.

 

“But sir--”

 

“No buts, Lieutenant Jung. That’s an order.”

 

Krystal sighs, not really able to do anything else. She gives her superior a salute before heading towards the door.

 

The soldiers scrambled from the door to form a line along the corridor outside the s Major’s office. Krystal appears with a stern look on her face.

 

“You guys heard the Major. Get your things ready. Now!” 

 

“Yes, ma’am!” The soldiers saluted before running back to their quarters. “Thanks a lot, dip,” one of the soldiers said as he passed by Seulgi. The woman, who had been down since the accident, was now more depressed than ever. She was about to follow her fellow soldiers, thinking of ways to redeem herself, when she almost tripped on an uneven tile.

 

“Private Kang, a word?” Krystal said using her authoritative tone.

 

Seulgi looked at her and nodded before letting the commanding officer pass by her. That’s not good, Seulgi thought to herself. 

 

Now Lt. Jung asking for a word wasn’t always a bad thing for Seulgi. In fact, she always looked forward to talking to her commanding officer because it gave them time to be alone together and just be Krystal and Seulgi, the loving couple. 

 

However, with her everything that has happened to Seulgi during her stay in the troop, this might be the most frightening talk they ever had.

 

Seulgi arrived at the doorstep of the officer's barracks, which was luckily empty this time of day. A single light shone inside, coming from the small opening inside Krystal’s room. Seulgi tried to compose herself, taking in a small breath of air before entering the building. Each step seemed to get heavier as she neared Krystal’s door.

 

What if she decides to leave me? Seulgi thought. I should've been a better soldier! Dumb self!

 

She knocks on the slightly opened doorway before peeking inside. Krystal was standing in front of the window, her uniform jacket hung neatly on the wall by her bed, leaving her in a grey shirt, camo pants, and boots. Her bun was loosening, leaving her hair in an almost ponytail look. 

 

Seulgi couldn’t see what Krystal's face showed and assumed that she was angry. She entered the room quietly, closing the door behind her.

 

She stood a few steps for the door, her hands fumbling against one another as she tried to find the words to say. 

 

“I'm sorry,” Seulgi said, her head hung low.

 

Krystal doesn't reply, opting to stare outside the window where the other soldiers were doing their daily routines.

 

“I swear it was an accident. The soldier that gave me the rifle said the safety clip was okay.”

 

“Why’d you fire at our barracks, Seul?” Krystal said as her back still faced Seulgi.

 

“I didn’t mean to!”

 

“That's what you always say!” Krystal faced Seulgi, her eyes burning with anger.

 

“You always do stupid and say it's an accident!” 

 

Seulgi was taken aback by the words Krystal threw at her. It was the first time her girlfriend burst out because of her minor mistakes. Her heart, bruised by the years of being alone as a child, was now being broken by the woman she loved.

 

Krystal tried her best to compose herself but because of the immense pressure she's been experiencing, not to mention the misogynistic and erted officers she had to deal with, she couldn't help but lash out on Seulgi. 

 

Krystal makes her way to her bed and sits with a huff. Everything just felt suffocating for her, and her girlfriend wasn’t helping. She lets her hair down and massages her temple.

 

With teary eyes, Seulgi bows down to Krystal. “I'm sorry for the trouble I’ve brought to you. I'll try to be a better soldier.”

 

Seulgi gets up, salutes her commanding officer, and exits the room. Krystal couldn't even bear to look at her as she left.

 

As Seulgi made her way to her quarters, another officer noticed the dishevelled state she was in and decided to follow the lonely officer. 

 

As Seulgi arrived, the place suddenly became quiet. Only the boots stomping from the soldiers outside could be heard. Seulgi kept her head low, avoiding the deadly gazes her mates were giving to her. As she passed by a group of male soldiers, one put out his foot and tripped Seulgi. Luckily, she was able to find her balance and not land face flat on the floor. The men snickered.

 

Unknown to them, the officer that followed Seulgi saw the entire thing.

 

“Delta 7th Platoon, please do your assigned drills outside,” the officer said with a booming voice as she entered the quarters.

 

“But ma’am, we were asked to fix our things for our shift tomorrow at—“

 

“You dare answer me, soldier?” The officer gave the taller soldier a once over before staring him in the eye. The soldier cowered, bowing before turning to his platoon mates.

 

“Let’s go, guys!”

 

The soldiers fell into two lines, saluting the officer, before leaving the quarters. 

 

“Private Kang, stay.”

 

Seulgi stopped in her tracks and looked at the officer. She could see a hint of pity in the officer’s eyes.

 

“Yes ma’am?” Seulgi said looking straight ahead, avoiding the officer’s eyes.

 

Seulgi’s platoon mates have all left to do their scheduled activities for the day, leaving the two of them alone.

 

“Seul,” the officer approached Seulgi. “At ease, please? It’s just us.”

 

Seulgi relaxes her shoulders, sighing in the process. The woman approached her, fixing the stray hair on Seulgi’s face.

 

“Rough day, huh? Heard you got re-assigned?”

 

Seulgi nods before heading back to her bunk. She gets her uniform for tomorrow and hangs it by her bed, not really in the mood to talk.

 

“Hey,” the woman sat on Seulgi’s bed. “It’s not your fault. I saw the other soldiers pranking you that day.”

 

The woman tapped on the space next to her, asking Seulgi to sit.

 

“I’m not sure if I’m cut out for this, Soo,” Seulgi said with a sigh. 

 

The officer placed her arm across Seulgi’s shoulder and engulfed her in a comforting hug.

 

“You’ve lasted this long, Seul. Besides, you’re not that bad of a soldier. It’s just that your platoon mates are jerks,” the officer said while looking at Seulgi’s side profile. Her face was close enough that Seulgi could feel every breath her friend took.

 

The woman was known in the camp as Lt. Joy Park, but to Seulgi, she was Sooyoung, her childhood best friend. The two have been buddies ever since their dads left them alone to play during 'Bring Your Child to Work' Day. Joy’s dad was the partner of Seulgi’s dad for a mission back in the day, so it wasn’t a surprise that both of them became good friends as well.

 

Joy was the first to enlist in the military, as Seulgi opted to finish her degrees in Fine Arts and Philosophy, which is why she had a higher rank than Seulgi.

 

Seulgi sighs. Silence engulfed the two. Seulgi’s heartbeat didn’t seem to slow down. Her eyes were unfocused, staring at nothing. Her eyebrows were creased, leaving lines on her forehead.

 

“There’s something else, isn’t there?” Sooyoung asked as she continued to cling on Seulgi.

 

“Nothing. It’s just something personal.”

 

“Personal my . We talk about literally everything, even our poop!” 

 

The two chuckle at Sooyoung’s silliness. Seulgi pulls away from her grasp.

 

“It’s just, I feel like I’m being a burden to Krystal.” Seulgi stands and leans on the bunk opposite Sooyoung.

 

“Did that say that to you?” Sooyoung stood up as she rolled up her sleeves, looking like she was ready to pull Krystal’s hair. Seulgi pulls Sooyoung’s arm to stop her foolishness.

 

“No. I said it myself. Besides, she got reprimanded again because of me.” Sooyoung pulls her arm from Seulgi and looks her in the eye. 

 

“I never really did like that for you. Too much bite, not enough charm.”

 

“Sooyoung stop calling my girlfriend a challenge.”

 

“But she is!” 

 

Seulgi rolled her eyes as Sooyoung laughed at her.

 

“But I love her still despite everything you said,” Seulgi said as she hugged Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung hugs her back tight. “You’re her pain in the now.” She s Seulgi’s , making the woman jump in surprise. The two laugh like they did when they were kids.

 

“I’ll have to report you for harassment, Lt. Park. You just d my !”

 

Sooyoung fakes a shock before aiming for Seulgi’s once more. What they don’t realize is that there have been a pair of eyes carefully watching their banter.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DEAD MAN’S LAND, BUSAN, SOUTH KOREA

 

 

 

The troop consisting of 21 soldiers, men and women alike, and their commanding officer, got off the military truck and into their small bunker for the night. The shelter was worn down, paint was flaking off the walls, the floorboards creaked due to the weight it had to carry for the first time in weeks, and the lights were barely illuminating the room. 

 

One of the rowdier soldiers bumped Seulgi's shoulder, whispering “Thanks a lot, Kang.” Other soldiers simply ignored Seulgi as blaming her would change nothing.

 

The group settled in their beds. What the command centre failed to relay to the group was that there were exactly 14 beds, given that a group of 6 soldiers would be assigned the night shift. The extra bed was designated for their commanding officer.

 

Seulgi went to the far corner of the room and set her things neatly on the floor. One of her nicer troop mates approached and set her bag just beside Seulgi’s. Seulgi looked to see who it was only to be greeted by a warm cheeky smile.

 

“You don’t have to stay in the corner alone, Seul,” her fellow soldier Naeun said as she reached for Seul’s arm, the touch lingering a few seconds too long. 

 

“You don’t have to stay here with me, Naeun. I deserve to be here, alone,” Seulgi said as she straightened her uniform. 

 

“I honestly don’t mind being with you,” Naeun replied, her hand still on Seulgi’s arm as her smile grew wider. The woman winked at Seulgi, catching her off guard. However, a pair of eyes didn’t miss the interaction.

 

The cabin was filled with noise, both from the creaking house and its occupants. A strong whistle blew, signalling the crowd to keep quiet.

 

Krystal, who was now by the door, had her hands on her waist and a whistle on . The soldiers stood by their beds, some sharing the space, while others were by the walls of the house, keeping a safe distance from Seulgi and Naeun.

 

“Now that we’re all settled, how about we decide the shifts each of us are gonna take,” Krystal said, whistle now in her hand with a small checklist on the other.

 

“I think Kang should take the night shift, given that it’s her fault we’re here in the first place,” one of the more arrogant soldiers exclaimed.

 

“Yeah!” “Right!” A few soldiers remarked while the others simply nodded.

 

Seulgi gulped. She had a feeling this would happen as most of the men in her troop hated her for no reason.

 

“Private Kang, would you like to volunteer for the night shift?” Krystal said sternly, her eyes focused on the hand that grasped Seulgi’s arm.

 

“Yes, ma’am,” Seulgi replied.

 

“I’d like to volunteer too, ma’am!” Naeun said without hesitation, raising her hand to get noticed by her commanding officer.

 

“Looks like Seulgi got herself a little girlfriend right there,” one of the arrogant men teased. The others simply chuckled.

 

“At least she has one!” Naeun replied, sticking her tongue out to the man.

 

Krystal’s grip on the whistle tightened, almost crushing the poor thing in the process. Naeun hugged Seulgi’s arm as she continued her banter with the other soldier. Seulgi, frozen on her spot, remained unaware of Krystal’s wrath.

 

“Alright, anyone else?” Krystal said as she rolled her eyes at the sight.

 

A few other soldiers, mostly women, volunteered for the night shift since they would be with Seulgi. The bear was too slow to see the motives of her fellow soldiers. Krystal, however, wasn’t.

 

“Let me just read those that volunteered,” Krystal said as she looked over her list. “Bae Joohyun, Kim Yerim, Lee Sunmi, Lee Taemin, Lee Naeun, and Kang Seulgi.”

 

The soldiers mentioned formed a line in front of Lt. Jung. “Please ready your gear. We’ll be leaving in a few minutes,” Krystal said as she looked at each one. Seulgi was on Krystal’s left-hand side, at the end of the line, with Naeun just beside her.

 

“Ma’am, did you say we?” Yeri asked hands firmly on her sides.

 

Krystal looked at Yeri in the eye. “Yes, soldier. Do you have any problems with that?”

 

The women in the group frowned at the answer but quickly hid their dismay, afraid they might get punished by Krystal. All, except Naeun and Seulgi who were busy in their own world.

 

“The rest of you, decide on what shift you’d like to be in and write it down on this paper.” Krystal passed her clipboard to one of the soldiers before turning back to the night shift crew.

 

“5 minutes and we’ll be off.” The soldiers saluted their commanding officer before rushing to their things. 

 

Krystal was about to approach Seulgi when Naeun pulled the girl to their stuff. Krystal huffs and turns instead to her stuff, fixing her rifle and hard cap with night vision goggles on, before heading outside the cabin.

 

A gentle breeze followed by the sound of a few owls greeted the commanding officer as she exited the cabin. Any other night, it would’ve been a perfect date for the two of them but after lashing out on Seulgi earlier, she didn’t know how to approach her girlfriend.

 

The area wasn’t as barren as her superiors had described. Trees, which were about a few decades old, gave them the perfect cover. There was a fresh stream about a few kilometres south of their cabin.

 

However, there was a patch of land northeast of their location where only grass grew. There was no place to hide if the rebels suddenly attacked.

 

I wish everything were fine, Seul, Krystal thought to herself. 

 

Whether she admits it or not, she is terrified about their assignment for tonight. Rebel forces have slowly been taking over nearby villages, forcing the people to follow their way of thinking. 

 

The last intelligence report they received stated about 50 new members joined the rebel forces, mostly young boys. However, only those who have been in their group for a long time are assigned to ambush military personnel.

 

So far, there has been no serious shootout between the military and the rebel forces. There have been isolated cases, leaving a few soldiers injured in the process. 

 

Krystal couldn’t bear to think anyone of her soldiers gets injured, especially her Seulgi. 

 

The peace of the night was disturbed by laughs coming towards the commanding officer. The night shift crew were here, Naeun busy clinging to Seulgi’s arm, which Seulgi didn’t seem to mind, while the rest were laughing at whatever Seulgi had said. The bear’s eyes formed into crescents as she laughed along with her fellow soldiers. 

 

I wish you could smile at me like that, Krystal thought.

 

As if reading her thoughts, Seulgi looked to her direction, her smile fading as she saw the sad look on Krystal’s face.

 

Her fellow soldiers stopped when they noticed the change in Seulgi’s expression. They looked over and saw their commanding officer with a stoic expression on her face. 

 

The soldiers lined up in front of Lt. Jung, waiting for further instructions. Naeun was firmly standing by Seulgi’s side. The glare Krystal gave her went unnoticed. 

 

“Okay troops, we’ll be dividing the area into quadrants, three of which will be patrolled by pairs while the last would be patrolled by a lone soldier, understood?”

 

“Yes, ma’am!” The soldiers replied with firm voices.

 

The lieutenant looked at the troops, deciding which pairs would have a perfect balance. Yerim, the youngest of the bunch, was a known sharpshooter but rather mischievous due to her young age. Irene and Taemin were stealthy soldiers that specialized in hand to hand combat. Sunmi had a weird super hearing ability and was great with handling firepower, while Naeun was their resident communications specialist.

 

Seulgi wasn’t a pro at any of the mentioned fields but she was great at creating strategies that would trap their targets, as well as improvising if things take a sudden turn. She was, after all, her father’s daughter. General Kang is a known strategist that led a special ops team for capturing the most wanted man in their country.

 

“Kim and Bae, take the northwest section. There are a couple of century-old trees great for scouting the rest of the area.” The two soldiers nod while they grouped by Krystal’s right side. Yerim said a little prayer while holding her rifle close to her chest. Irene did a few stretches, readying her body for any possible attack.

 

“Taemin and Sunmi take the southwest quadrant. There’s a road by that area so keep a lookout for anything suspicious.” Sunmi and Taemin noded and prepared for deployment.

 

“Naeun, you go with me to the southeast quadrant, by the river. The signal there isn’t great so I need you,” Krystal said with a stern look as she watched disappointment wash over the soldier’s face.

 

“But Seulgi needs someone with her! I can’t just leave her alone to patrol by herself.”

 

Krystal moves to stand in front of the soldier. “You dare question your commanding officer?”

 

The soldier bowed her head upon hearing the tone of Krystal’s voice, a mixture of authority and possibly a hint of possessiveness and jealousy since the soldier in question has not left Seulgi”s side from the camp all the way to their current location.

 

Seulgi coughed slightly to try and ease the tension, hoping that Krystal would get the signal. Although they were currently in a misunderstanding, Seulgi still wanted to be professional. After all, they were on a mission.

 

“It’s alright Nauen. The lieutenant needs you more than I do,” Seulgi said, keeping her eyes forward. “I’ll be fine on my own.”

 

“But--” 

 

“You heard her, private. You’re with me,” Krystal said, still looking at Naeun. The commanding officer turns around, looking to the north where Seulgi will be stationed. I’m sorry, Seul, she thought to herself.

 

“Private Kang, that means you’ll be stationed at the northeast quadrant,” Krystal said as her back still faced Seulgi. 

 

The soldier sighed but had to accept her fate. Was it because I’m being too much of a burden for her? Seulgi thought.

 

She raised her arm, saluting the back of her commanding officer. “Yes, ma’am.”

 

Krystal faced the group, putting on a fierce look to hide her doubts about their assignment. She feared that despite the lack of rebel activity in the area, they could get ambushed any time.

 

“You guys know the drill. Keep your trackers and radios on at all times,” the lieutenant said as the rest of the soldiers listened attentively. 

 

“No one, and I mean no one, is to stray too far from their post or do anything reckless. Understand?” Krystal said with gritted teeth as she saw Naeun’s hand resting carefully in Seulgi’s back.

 

The teams now headed towards their design

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter