Day 1 — Fanboy & Philtrum

~KyuSung Week 2020~

"Let's see... I love your voice... I like your look... you're handsome... I love your sense of humor... blah blah blah... Sigh, can't my fans be a bit more creative? I mean, everything about me is awesome so why did they only focus on some part of me? That's a waste of my perfection."

 

Kyuhyun sighed dramatically while throwing a letter to the side. As the most popular idol in Korea (with hundred awards and million fans as a guarantee, mind you, he wasn't egotistical in the slightest), he always got a ton of fan letters every day. You probably thought he wouldn't read them since they were so many, right? Incorrect. He READ them all. Why wouldn't he? There is no feeling in this universe better than being loved or appreciated. He got both so of course, he would gladly take them all. However, that didn't change the fact that reading the same thing day in, day out got boring real fast. That's why he always hoped that some interesting letters would show up and kill his boredom.

 

 

His wish was instantly granted.

 

 

"Your songs make me feel blah blah blah... the same old praise... Sigh, the next letter... let see... I've been your fan since your debut, meh, so boring, what I like about you the most is your philtrum— wait a ing second!"

 

Kyuhyun read the letter again but the more he read it, the more stupefied he was.

.

.

.

Dear Cho Kyuhyun-ssi,

 

I've been your fan since your debut day. What I like about you the most is your philtrum. Your beautiful philtrum made me fall for you at the first sight. Every night when I fall asleep, I dream of feeling your amazing philtrum and caressing it with my hand. Your philtrum's shape, size, and proportion, all are just too perfect to be described by mere words. Believe me, I tried going through the entire dictionary but still couldn't find a suitable word to explain how gorgeous your philtrum is. There is no better philtrum in this world other than yours. I truly like your philtrum from the deepest part of my soul, so I'll always support you regardless of your career choice. Be it an idol, an ost. singer, a musical actor, or whatever, this fanboy will always be there for your beautiful philtrum.

 

Sincerely,

—Yesung

.

.

.

"What the is even a philtrum? And should I be proud or concerned about this letter?"

 

Kyuhyun quickly searched in Google and found out that a philtrum is a small area between your nose and your mouth. What the hell? He didn't even know that there is a vocabulary for this specific area! And why the hell was this guy so obsessed with his philtrum!

 

"Wait," Kyuhyun paused, "this is the first time someone praises me for something which isn't my look or my voice. Doesn't that mean he appreciates even my smallest detail that others might overlook? Yeah, now that I think about it, this actually feels great! Who would have thought that my philtrum is that amazing that it makes people fall in love at first sight! My, I'm too perfect for this world!"

 

He shamelessly praised himself. At the same time, he decided to reply to this one specific fanboy as a thank you gift for lightening up his mood. He also attached some CDs he found around his apartment finely signed with his signature. Ha, he bet that this guy will outright faint after seeing the gift!

 

**********************************************

 

He didn't expect to see his gifts neatly returned in the following week.

.

.

.

Dear Cho Kyuhyun-ssi,

 

I'm deeply touched that you sent a reply to me despite how busy you are. However, I'm afraid that there's a misunderstanding between us. When I said that I'm your fan, I mean as in your philtrum's fan. I'm not interested in your other aspects save for your philtrum. Look? I like Choi Siwon-ssi and Lee Donghae-ssi more. Voice? That's a tie between Kim Ryeowook-ssi and Kim Taeyeon-ssi. Entertainer? Definitely Shindong-ssi. MC? You can never beat Leeteuk-ssi. However, if we're to discuss only your philtrum, then it's without a doubt that you're the best. For that reason, I returned all gifts you sent me since it'll be a waste for me anyway.

Hope this clears up the misunderstanding.

 

Sincerely,

—Yesung

.

.

.

"WHAT THE HELL!!?" Kyuhyun literally roared. "Is this guy really my fan!!? Even haters can't anger me as much as this guy did in one letter!!"

 

Kyuhyun balled the paper and threw it in a fireplace. Out of pettiness, he wrote another letter and doubled the number of gifts sending to whoever this Yesung is. Fine! Let's see how long you can withstand my charm!

 

**********************************************

 

After subtracting the delivery period, Kyuhyun was pretty sure that his gifts were immediately sent back as soon as it arrived at the receiver's address.

.

.

.

Dear Cho Kyuhyun-ssi,

 

I didn't realize that you're petty and childish too. Did you seriously think that you can buy my affection with your fancy gifts? Excuse me, even some random elementary kids around my neighborhood can do better than that.

p.s. don't worry, I still think that your philtrum is the best.

 

Sincerely,

—Yesung

.

.

.

Kyuhyun had never felt this angry before in his life. Since he couldn't spit fire so he spat curses instead. Unbelievable! How come there was someone who didn't fall for his perfection!? Despite the grumble, he still wrote yet another reply. He really wanted to win over this annoying fanboy so that his injured pride was treated. Since showering this guy with gifts didn't work, he cooked something himself and hired the quickest delivery service to send it to this fanboy. Apart from his family and some of his closest friends, he never cooked for anyone before. So, this arrogant fanboy should be grateful that the great Cho Kyuhyun stepped down from his pedestal himself to please this commoner!

 

********************************************

 

It took four days for the reply to arrive and it was the longest four days Kyuhyun had ever faced. When the letter came with a sparkling clean rice box, he almost tore it in half from impatience. However, his enthusiasm was instantly extinguished after seeing the content of the letter.

.

.

.

Dear Cho Kyuhyun-ssi,

 

Too salty. The beef was cooked too long so it was hard to chew. The vegetable was cut unevenly so it looked like a mess party in the rice box. All in all, it's 6/10.

 

Sincerely,

—Yesung

.

.

.

He almost threw the letter out of his penthouse window but held back. No, he wouldn't give up until this annoying fanboy admitted that Cho Kyuhyun is awesome and unmatched! With that thought in mind, he borrowed a cookbook from a fellow idol Leeteuk who lived in the same building. When he wasn't busy with his schedule, he studied from the book and practiced during his scarce free time.

 

**************************************

 

He kept exchanging a letter with Yesung while improving his cooking. The content was mostly Yesung rambling about how beautiful Kyuhyun's philtrum is and Kyuhyun bragging about his popularity. This unordinary routine grew on him and had become his habit. In fact, Kyuhyun had come to look forward to the letter so much that he hated any jobs taking place outside of Korea because it would take longer to read Yesung's reply. During the letter exchange in the past four months, he had learned many things about this weird fanboy. He learned that giving luxurious presents didn't impress the man so he bought a small, cute souvenir whenever he was on tour instead. That was how he accidentally found out that Yesung really, really liked turtles.

.

.

.

Dear Cho Kyuhyun-ssi,

 

Thank you for the keychain. It's really cute and I love it so much. I put it on my car key and carry it with me everywhere. Turtles are such an amazing creature, aren't they? It lives serenely as times go by, unbothered, steadfast, graceful, and calm. I used to have pet turtles too. Sadly, they grew up too big that my house couldn't accommodate them so I gave them to the aquarium. I'm a bit miffed though that they changed one of my turtles' names and named it after me! Would you believe that!

Sincerely,

—Yesung

.

.

.

For some reason, he was really upset that Yesung didn't even mention him once in the letter. Hey, what happened to your biggest philtrum fanboy! Didn't you say that you liked my philtrum the most! If his philtrum was inferior to stupid turtles then what about the rest of him!? Didn't that mean he was worse than turtles!? Fine! I won't buy any turtle-related stuff for you ever again!

 

*********************************************************************

 

He was so upset that even two weeks later he still couldn't bring himself to send a reply. To his surprise, Yesung sent another letter to him first. His ego inflated when he saw the letter. Ha, as expected, you couldn't bear not hearing from me! I knew it, I'm number one in your heart! Kyuhyun mused to himself as he excitedly opened the envelope. However...

.

.

.

Dear Cho Kyuhyun-ssi,

 

You seem to take longer than usual to reply to my letter. Don't tell me that you're still annoyed that I only talked about turtles in the last letter? Could it be that you're jealous of turtles? You're waaaaaaaay more childish than I thought kkkkkkkkkkkk.

ps. don't worry, your philtrum is still number one in my heart  ;)

Sincerely,

—Yesung

.

.

.

"Nonsense! Who would be stupid enough to get jealous of a damn turtle! Absolutely not me! Just because I hate it when he ignores me doesn't mean that I have a crush on him—"

 

Ba-dump

 

Kyuhyun banged his head against a fridge door.

 

"God damn it! Did I seriously develop a stupid crush on a fan whom I haven't even met!? No, this is ridiculous!"

 

******************************************************************************

 

To prove that he didn't harbor any attraction to this weird fanboy, he quickly sent a reply to shoot down Yesung's ridiculous idea, that he had a crush on Yesung was too inconceivable. For some reason, his heart ached a bit when he recalled the content of the letter but he quickly brushed it off. Nah, why would I feel bad for stating the truth? That's right, I didn't like Yesung! Impossible! Kyuhyun kept telling himself so as he walked around his apartment waiting for a reply. Just when he made the fifteenth lap around his house, a reply came from Yesung.

.

.

.

Dear Cho Kyuhyun-ssi,

 

Is it really that bad to have a crush on me? Am I really that unbearable in your eyes? :(  You know, I was just kidding with you, I didn't mean it, not at all. I know that I'm far inferior in every way compared to you and I know my place well enough. Thank you for reminding me though.

ps. we can stop this letter exchange if you want.

ps2. I'll always like your philtrum no matter what, don't worry, I'm a faithful man.

Sincerely,

—Yesung

.

.

.

Kyuhyun had never written a reply this fast in his life. He sent a reply which contained his apology and explained that he was just kidding too, along with a meal that he made himself. While he was waiting for the reply, he still argued with himself that, no, he didn't have a crush on Yesung, absolutely not, never in this lifetime, never in the next, next, next, next lifetime!

 

************************************

 

Kyuhyun never knew that words held this much power over him. Who would have thought that just one letter was enough to send his mood to the moon?

.

.

.

Dear Cho Kyuhyun-ssi,

 

Please stop, I don't want to fall for you more than I already have.

ps1. I mean, falling for your philtrum.

ps2. That didn't mean that I only like your philtrum. Ever since we started exchanging letters, I began to like you for who you really are.

ps3. I didn't mean like as in like like!! I mean like as in like like like!

ps4. Don't misunderstand me! Alright!?

Sincerely,

—Yesung

.

.

.

"You're the one who has to stop being cute!"

 

Kyuhyun said while going down on his knees. One hand gripped the letter while the other clutching his shirt. ! Did he just get struck by a cupid arrow!? Why was his heart about to jump out of his chest and why the hell he couldn't stop grinning!

 

"This is getting out of hand," Kyuhyun said after he calmed down. "I have to take care of it before it ruins my job."

 

Are you going to stop the letter exchange?

 

His logical side asked.

 

"Oh, absolutely, I'm definitely gonna stop this ridiculous game of heart disease!"

 

Kyuhyun put on plain clothes and grabbed a face mask.

 

"I'll stop it by making this cute fanboy mine. Problem solved, ha, I'm such a genius!"

 

He kept laughing all the way to a parking lot, gaining a suspicious glance from all passersby he crossed path with.

 

*********************************

 

He followed the address on the letter and arrived at a cafe located in the middle of Seoul. It was decorated in a vintage style and warm colors. The place gave off a homey atmosphere and Kyuhyun instantly fell in love with it. He wouldn't mind visiting this place every day just to laze around. Stepping into the shop, he chose the most hidden corner to sit down. Although he didn't wear makeup and wore a face mask, he still should be careful in public.

 

"Excuse me, what would you like to order?"

 

Ba-dump Ba-dump Ba-dump Ba-dump

 

Kyuhyun fell in love at first sight.

 

"Excuse me?" The waiter called him again, "are you alright? Sir?"

 

What? This guy didn't know who I am?

 

Kyuhyun wasn't sure if he should be upset or relieved that the cute waiter didn't recognize him. However, all thoughts were gone from his head when the black-haired man smiled at him. So cute! I really need to ask for his contact num—

 

He suddenly remembered Yesung's letter in his coat pocket.

 

"Yeah, I'm fine. Give me one of your best menus please."

 

He quickly averted his eyes before his heart lunged itself at the cute waiter. The other man didn't mind his aloof attitude. He took the order and beamed one last time at Kyuhyun before heading to the counter. Kyuhyun slumped on the chair and thanked heaven that he wore a face mask now, or else that guy would have seen his flushed face and knew that he fell in love at first sight— no, he already had Yesung! And Cho Kyuhyun is a faithful man, no thank you!

 

"Here is your order. You seem like someone who doesn't enjoy coffee so I took the liberty and prepare hot chocolate instead. Hope you enjoy our signature drink."

"Thank you. I'll definitely enjoy it."

 

He wanted to pour the hot chocolate on himself so he could stop thinking how cute the waiter was. Stop! You're not a cheater so behave yourself! To stop his messy thought, Kyuhyun pulled the face mask down and took a sip of the drink.

 

 

Shatter!

 

 

The sound of something breaking made Kyuhyun choke on the drink. Pulling his mask up, he turned to check the noise and saw the same cute waiter crouching down to clean shards of the broken cup. For some reason, the waiter was blushing madly as if a superstar just confessed their undying love to him. Kyuhyun didn't know what was going on, but he did know that the waiter was really, totally, freaking CUTE. 

 

 

Kyuhyun banged his head against an imaginary wall after realizing that he cheated on Yesung by being hot for the waiter again.

 

***********************************

 

After banging his head against the imaginary wall countless times, Kyuhyun finally admitted that he was wholeheartedly attracted to the cute waiter. He still liked Yesung, very much so, but he also liked the cute waiter too. He was bitten by guilt for a long while but out of nowhere, a brilliant idea came to him. What if Yesung and that cute waiter were the same people? That's right! He didn't know yet who Yesung was so there was a chance that he didn't cheat on anyone! Obviously, the genius Cho Kyuhyun had a plan to find it out. He ordered a rose bouquet and waited impatiently. The person who took the bouquet was no doubt his beloved Yesung!

 

 

The moment of truth finally came.

 

 

"Yesung-ssi? There is a delivery for you."

 

 

Kyuhyun stared at the cute waiter expectantly. Please! Take the bouquet!

 

 

"Go take it," the cute waiter told another young man, and Kyuhyun's heart was broken to pieces. Noooooooo! I'm a cheateeeeeeer!

 

 

Kyuhyun was so depressed that he didn't feel like moving, so he just flopped down on the table and pretended that he was dying.

 

*********************************************************************************************

 

"Kyuhyun-ssi, I'm sorry but we're closing now."

 

Kyuhyun didn't even know that he had fallen asleep. He yawned and stretched himself while looking around. All customers had left the shop. Even the staff was all gone too. The only people left inside the dim shop were him and the cute waiter. He sighed when he realized that Yesung was gone too, even though he had so many things he wanted to tell Yesung...

 

"Kyuhyun-ssi?"

 

Not good, he just understood the danger of being alone with the cute waiter. He didn't want to cheat on Yesung more than he already had—

 

"Wait, what did you call me just now?"

The cute waiter smiled, "Kyuhyun-ssi?"

"You know who I am? But when you took my order you didn't recognize me?"

"Yeah, I just found out after that," the cute waiter smiled sheepishly, "to be honest, I wouldn't realize it if I didn't see your philtrum. I'll never mistake that!"

"That makes sense. My philtrum is indeed unique and perfect— wait a sec!"

 

He stared at the cute waiter who was smirking at him.

 

"So, not only you're petty and childish, but you're also dumber than I thought."

"You!" Kyuhyun stood up and pointed at the waiter, "you're Yesung!? But? That bouquet...?"

"That's my younger brother," Yesung giggled, "sorry, I can't help but want to tease you! After all, it's not every day a superstar falling in love with me."

"That's understandable. If a superstar fell in love with me, I'd love to tease them too— wait wait wait!?"

 

Kyuhyun felt like his face was burning and Yesung only made it worse by leaning in even closer.

 

"H-How!?"

"How? You mean, how did I know that you like me?"

 

Yesung's eyes were literally twinkling in joy now. The black-haired man grinned as he explained to the superstar.

 

"You keep exchanging letters with me even though I'm just a nobody. You shower me with gifts and homemade meals. You immediately send an apology letter when I said that we should stop the letter exchange. You even come here just to find me in person! I'd be an idiot if I didn't know why you did all of that."

 

Yesung's gaze dropped lower and Kyuhyun's heart skipped a beat. Could it be...? Yesung wanted to kiss me!? Kyuhyun nervously shut his eyes and waited expectantly...

 

 

*Touch*

 

 

Huh? That isn't my lips...

 

 

"Oh my god! I finally got to touch your philtrum! Ahhhhhh I'm so happy that I'm about to faint! What should I do!!?"

 

Yesung said enthusiastically as he caressed Kyuhyun's philtrum. At the same time, Kyuhyun was left dumbfounded at the situation at hand. So, Yesung didn't want to kiss him but touch his philtrum? That...

 

 

It seemed that he had a long way to go if he wanted to make Yesung choose him over his philtrum...

 

 

"By the way," Yesung spoke up, "do you have any schedules tomorrow? If you didn't..."

 

 

Yesung kissed Kyuhyun's philtrum.

 

 

"How about staying a night here?"

 

 

...Oh well, maybe having a philtrum fanboy wasn't as bad as he thought.

 

 

Kyuhyun thought to himself as he happily nodded.