---

fare wells
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Upon fixing her eyes on her fiancee, Moonbyul started to tear up. She was dressed in a simple silk gown which only accentuated her radiating beauty. Looking down at the dress she had on, Moonbyul almost shied away comparing herself to how gorgeous Yongsun stood beside her.

 

Yongsun only laughed at her, with the floral veil draped over her face with her fingertips itching to lift them up at the hem. “We’re not getting married just yet, save your tears for then, you crybaby.” 

 

“How could I not cry at the pure glory of your presence?” Her voice was lower than a whisper, making sure that only Yongsun could hear the vulnerability in it. Without taking her eyes off of her fiance, she looked for her comforting hands and held them in silence. Standing there with Yongsun as a camera took pictures of them made her quiver in anxiety, along with the fact that she was getting married in the next two months.

 

“Hey, it’s okay. You don’t have to think of the camera, it’s just us right now. Just the two of us.” Yongsun’s voice broke through the thoughts she was overthinking. She gave her hands a tight squeeze and bore into her eyes. 

 

It’s just us right now.

 

Just the two of us.

 

Moonbyul sighed as she opened a new can of beer. She sat on the grass of a hill; only it wasn’t just a hill, it was where she had taken the prenuptial shots with Yongsun. As the thought crossed her mind, she laughed bitterly. 

 

Here she was, drinking her sorrows away, alone.

 

Alone on a hill, where Yongsun had talked to her to ask for a divorce.


 

“What?” Moonbyul’s eyes shook in horror. 

 

Was she hearing Yongsun right?

 

“Yongsun, we can’t just break up over a single misunderstanding. We’ve been married for three years.” Her wife couldn’t even meet her eyes. 

 

“It’s not your fault, Byul.” Yongsun crossed her arms over her chest and hung her head. She refused to even say why.  

 

Why? Why would she just throw this all away? 

 

“Why couldn’t you have told me sooner? We could’ve fixed things.” She took a step forward, wanting to capture Yongsun in her arms a last time, but the woman only flinched. She couldn’t bear to look at Moonbyul.

 

“I gave so many signs, Byul. Why couldn’t you read them?” She turned her back and started to leave. Moonbyul's vision blurred and she couldn't catch sight of where Yongsun was going. She was leaving. She was leaving her. 

 

Her feet moved before she could think and she started to run after her, scrambling and panting. 

 

“Moon Yongsun… Don’t leave. Don’t leave me, please. Please, we can work this out.” She cried in desperation on her knees and held onto her wrists. Yongsun looked at her and started to sob quietly. 

 

"I don't want to do this either, Byul. But I have someone else."

 

Something inside of her broke with a snap and she clutched her chest. She couldn't know no love without Yongsun. They had so many plans and dreams that they haven't even started on. And yet, here she was, leaving it all behind with her. 

 

"Who? Tell me. Tell me who it is." 

 

The wind passed through them and the silence in the air continued to heave. 

 

"It's not your fault. We couldn't have worked out."

 

"Answer my question, Yongsun."

 

"I… Moonbyul…"

 

With the ounce of strength she had left, Moonbyul stood up with a defeated smirk. 

 

"It's Wheein, isn't it?"

 

Yongsun's head turned to the side; her silence and pursed lips was an answer in itself. 

 

Moonbyul scoffed, and then laughed. All of it was so unbelievable and surreal. This couldn't be happening. 

 

Wheein, huh. Her best friend. That was just peachy, and explained why the two of them had been so silent around her these days. 

 

"I'm sorry, Byul."

 

And there went the woman she could only love. There went away the best seven years of her life, along with her best friend. 

 

Moonbyul stared blankly at the screen of her monitor. 

 

"Miss Moon? Are you okay?" She shook herself awake and smiled at Jeongyeon, who snapped her out of her thoughts. 

 

"Yeah, I'm… I'm okay." The shift in Jeongyeon's expression told her she could see through her lie. 

 

"I heard you and Missus Mo—Miss Yongsun just got a divorce. Are you sure you don't want to take a leave?" At the casual drop of the d-bomb, Moonbyul winced and scratched the base of her nape. 

 

"I'll be fine," She glanced at the photo frame on her desk, of her wedding picture with Yongsun and smiled bitterly. "Eventually." 

 

"Let's just forget I said anything okay? How about some lunch—on me?" Jeongyeon tried her best to lift her boss' mood, even if it was just a scoop of ice cream or a slice of cake. Only Moonbyul didn't seem so interested in anything else now that the topic of Yongsun has been brought up already. 

 

"Sure, whatever."

 

With an uncomfortable air between the two of them, her employee shifted her weight and glanced slightly at Moonbyul every now and then in the elevator. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter