seven

folklore

“Seulgi, you sure you won’t come tomorrow?”

“No, I’m busy—kind of. It’s okay, I’ll call grandma later.”

The middle-aged woman who stood by the door nodded her head as she pulled the door and closed it, leaving the girl who answered her question alone in her room; lying on bed while reading a book.

A minute later it was only silence filled the whole room. She focused herself on reading what’s on her hands. She then stood up and walked to her shelf; putting back the book on it and going back to her bed. She looked up to the ceiling, the night wind came rushing in through her open window; hit her skin gently. She thought of what she should do the next day because she wasn’t as busy as what she told her mother; she just simply hated trip. It took more than three hours from New York to Pennsylvania and she wouldn’t waste her time for that only to visit her old house. It wasn’t that she wouldn’t come and see her grandmother who now lived in that house, it was just she didn’t like sitting in car for hours. Besides, she could still do a video call with her grandma later.

Bored of the ceiling, her eyes then wandered around every corner of her room, and a folded paper on the desk caught her attention. She woke up and grabbed the paper; unfolding it. It was a picture of two little girls colored by random colors of crayon; they were smiling as their hands intertwined. On the top center of the picture, a footage written with all capital letters; ‘IRENE & SEULGI’

And she suddenly was taken aback, to where it all began.

16 years earlier.

“No running all over the house!”

The angry voice of a man echoed all over the room, followed by tiny little giggles of two girls who were now hiding in a closet, both were seven.

“Shh,” the girl wearing a pirate hat posing her finger telling the other one to stay quiet, “Your dad wouldn’t find us here! Don’t worry!” she said, giggling a little at the end.

The other girl nodded, hiding behind her friend’s shoulder and snuggled. After minutes of staying still in the closet, both got out and exhaled in relief.

It was only a normal day for Seulgi and Irene; to run all over the house, play with their parents’ property, hide in the closet, and get scolded at the end. To them life was only about being together in either’s house, spending the day sharing foods and laughter, sleeping on each other’s shoulder, and crying when their parents asked them to go home when it was late. To Irene, her life was about being with Seulgi from the sun rose till it set down, and to Seulgi it went the same way too.

“Glad my dad didn’t find us!” Irene smiled; there was a glimpse of happy face on her expression. A day without being scolded by her dad was a blessing, Irene’s dad was always mad and her mom said it was because he loved her and didn’t want her to get hurt by anything that could possibly hurt a sweet kid like her. But still, Irene hated to see it.

“Does your dad always mad at you, Seulgi?” she asked, and Seulgi nodded her head, “Sometimes, when I do stupid things.”

“Why are they always mad, I just don’t get it?”

“Daddies are just grumpy. It’s a common thing, my mom says.”

“But my dad is mad every hour. Your dad only scolds you sometimes.”

 Seulgi fixed her pirate hat, then hold Irene by her hand, “Come and live with me! We could play all day long and sleep all night long all together! My dad won’t scold you!”

And so, Seulgi went to Seulgi’s house that afternoon, with Irene on her side; holding hands. They walked past through Seulgi’s yard; there was a pickup car in front of her house, and her mother who looked busy talking to some guys. She came at them and bent down, “Hi, sweeties. Had fun today?”

Seulgi nodded; almost made her pirate hat fell down, “Mom, can Irene live with us?”

Her mom frowned, “Did you mean sleepover for tonight?”

“No… forever!”

Mrs. Kang chuckled; her eyes shaped a smile, “Seulgi, you better starts packing up your things. We’ll set off tomorrow morning, don’t sleep too late. Also,” she patted Irene’s shoulder, “If Irene wants to sleepover tonight, make sure Irene’s mom and dad know first. Okay?”

That evening, Irene cried since her dad didn’t let her to sleepover at Seulgi’s house. He said the family was busy to pack up things since they would move out tomorrow morning and Irene should not be there to interfere. So there she was, sitting on her bed with a crayon and a piece of paper. Her mom was beside her; telling her it was going to be okay.

“Mom, is New York far? Can I go there by a bike?”

Her mom giggled, “It is. Now you better finish the drawing and go to sleep so you can see Seulgi tomorrow morning to give her your drawing.”

The next morning Irene woke up to her mother whisper on her ears, with sleepy eyes she walked out the house and went to see Seulgi who was already on the outside carrying her toys. They exchanged smile and a hug.

“This is for you! Please remember me always!” said Irene, handing a folded paper to Seulgi.

“Oh, look, what is it? Thank you so much, sweetie, sorry Seulgi couldn’t make anything for you since she was busy packing her things up last night, and sleeping right after.” Seulgi’s mom pinched her cheeks as she hugged her.

After a short farewell between the two families, Seulgi climbed up her car and sat at the passenger’s seat; looking out from the window. There she saw Irene standing with her pajamas; a thin smile was shaped on her lips. When the engine started, Irene waved her hand and shouted, “Bye, Seulgi! See you! Visit me!”

“I will!” Seulgi answered as she waved back at Irene, both didn’t stop waving, not until they couldn’t be able to see each other’s face again.

Seulgi pulled her window up after Irene and her house’s scenery faded. She opened the folded paper Irene gave her and opened it; two girls holding hands with ‘IRENE & SEULGI’ at the top center of it.

 

 

Seulgi smiled as her mind kept on recalling the old memories. Irene was and still so special to her. She missed her so badly even years after she moved to New York. On the first three weeks, little Seulgi would wake up in the middle of the night and cried because she realized there would be no Irene calling her name every morning to play pirate game.

She put back the paper and immediately went out of her room, walked down the stairs and reached her mom who was sitting on the couch in the living room; eating strawberries.

“I changed my mind. I will come with you to Pennsylvania tomorrow.”

And she did.

It was all the same. Her white painted house was still there, near the creek where the water flowed so calmly. And beside the white painted house was a blue house with a small scratch on its window’s glass. She wondered if the one she looked for was still there. Seulgi stepped off the car. Irene’s house seemed so quiet. She started to doubt somebody was still living there.

Seulgi couldn’t take her eyes off that old house. She kept looking at it as she stepped into her house. She took a deep breath, “Mom, I will catch up later. I think I need some fresh air. Being inside a car for long got my head spinning a little.”

Her mom nodded and left her alone. Seulgi then entered Irene’s yard; wandering around and not having the guts to knock on the door. She walked around it and stopped her step on a small garden behind the house. It used to be Irene’s father’s garage. And even the garden was quiet. Just when Seulgi was about to turn back and leave, her eyes caught a girl sitting on a chair in the terrace, holding a pencil and sketching something on her paper so seriously. Seulgi gasped, she ran a little and approached her, but not even managed to say a single word.

The sound of Seulgi’s heavy breath made Irene realized that someone was there with her. She looked up and the first thing her eyes saw was a girl with unfamiliar face looking at her like she was going to burst into tears. Irene stood up and looked at her in the eyes; their eyes were locked on each other’s for nearly a minute straight. Seulgi raised the paper she was holding up, and showed the picture to Irene.

Both remained in silence for seconds, the crystals on Irene’s eyes started to fall down her cheeks as she gasped in disbelieve; bumping a hug on Seulgi. The other girl stayed still, it felt so warm to have Irene’s body embracing hers.

“It’s you.” Irene muttered, she repeated the words over and over.

“It’s me.” Seulgi smiled as she caressed Irene’s hair and hugged her even tighter.

All the wait and bad dreams both used to have when distance took them apart years ago when they were seven had now paid back. The feeling of missing each other’s presence had been poured in a long, tight hug.

“You have no idea how I waited you to come back everyday!”

“I’m back now.” Seulgi chuckled.

“Took you sixteen years.”

“Could’ve taken me longer if it wasn’t because of you.”

Irene covered as she laughed in a tiny voice. Her eyes now looked like it was made of diamond; small and shiny. And Seulgi watched her laughing, all in admiration; the laugh, her lips, her hair, the scent of jasmine she radiated, all those mixed in perfection and how could Seulgi realize it all just now.

As Irene stopped laughing, it was a quite long silence between them since Seulgi just looked at Irene while smiling widely.

“Come on in.” Irene packed up her things and offered Seulgi to come inside.

They spent that afternoon together in Irene’s home. Her parents were currently off town so she was all alone. Irene’s home was still the same, though some things did change but the vibe and all still same as what Seulgi remembered on her memory. Irene made her a cup of sweet tea; Seulgi was never click with coffee, and both sat on the couch in the living room.

“If we were still seven now, we wouldn’t just sit and enjoy tea. We’ll surely be running all over the house.” Irene said while sipping her sweet tea.

Seulgi’s mind wandered among the old memories listening to Irene’s words, “Yeah, and get scolded by your dad.”

Both Irene and Seulgi laughing while reminisced every moment they remembered from their childhood. Irene remembered getting scolded, boots got wet and full of creek’s water, and the swing they used to have on the tree behind their houses. And Seulgi remembered climbing a tree, wearing a pirate hat, hiding in the closet. They both drowned in the good old memories until Irene laid her head on Seulgi’s shoulder while still holding the tea cup.

“Would you stay for the night?” asked Irene.

Seulgi tucked Irene’s hair behind her ear and said softly, “I can’t say no.”

Within one night, they finally experienced the things they desired to do when they were kids; stargazing in the rooftop, staying up late for a night movie, and sleeping on the couch. Some things their parents would scold them for.

Seulgi opened her eyes; being wide awake and unable to sleep while Irene was already on her dreamland by now. Both wrapped up in a warm bunny blanket on the long couch in Irene’s living room. The TV was still on though Seulgi herself didn’t know what show was airing that time. Seulgi turned her body to the side, facing Irene. She watched every inch of Irene’s face with full of endearment; she missed her a lot more than she thought she did, and she realized how Irene was a lot more lovely than she thought she remembered, and how both have grown a lot more than Seulgi thought they had.

Once again the pieces of her childhood memories possessed her mind, and as she remembered the shining summer sun, the joyful laughter, the hands that intertwined, the chill summer breeze touched her skin; Seulgi slowly felt the wind brought her with it.

The next morning she woke up to an empty space beside her. For a second she thought she was dreaming; of course she didn’t know which one is the dream; waking up to an empty bed space, or spending the night with Irene. Then she flinched. None of these was a dream. In vague her ears heard the sound of someone cooking. Behind the couch was Irene’s kitchen and there she was; cooking eggs; one sunny side up and the other was scrambled.

“Seulgi hates egg yolk so Irene made Seulgi a scrambled egg.” Irene said as Seulgi approached her in the kitchen.

“Whoa,” Seulgi gasped, “You even remember that? And what’s with the third person type of speaking?”

“I copied the seven year old Irene! Take a seat, pour the juice yourself. Should I heat up the water for you to shower?”

Seulgi thought for a second, “Ah, no, I think I’ll be off after breakfast.”

“What? No shower?”

“Mom is kind of in rush.”

“Oh, so… you’re going home after this? I mean, off the town?”

Seulgi nodded. There was a change in Irene’s expression after Seulgi telling her she would drive home after this; a sorrow was clearly seen.

“Okay, then, eat the foods quickly! Your mom must be waiting for you outside.”

After they finished the breakfast they went outside and saw Seulgi’s car had parked in front of the house. A horn blared at them as soon as they walked a few inches from Irene’s front door. Seulgi’s mom stepped out of the car and approached them; walking closely to Irene and embracing her in a hug.

“Oh my, look at you! You’ve grown a lot! You’re really beautiful!” she said, cupped both Irene’s cheeks.

Irene smiled widely, “Thank you! It’s so nice to finally see you again.”

“Dear, you have no idea how happy I am to see you too. I heard your mom and dad aren’t home, eh? It’s such an unfortunate. But, please tell them I pay a visit!”

“Yes, ma’am,”

“Mom, May I have some times with Irene?” Seulgi asked.

“Oh, sure, but hurry up. I’ll wait in the car, okay? Irene, honey, I’m going, okay!” Seulgi’s mom waved her goodbye and walked away to the car.

Seulgi and Irene watched her back went afar; no one opened a conversation since both of them actually felt confused of what to say. But then Seulgi opened as she took a deep breath, “It looks familiar, isn’t it? This moment…”

“Yeah,” Irene put a thin smile on her face.

Seulgi turned her head to see Irene in the eyes, and with the deep gaze she locked the girl’s eyes on hers, “You can live with me.”

“Well,”

“Come on. We can be pirates.”

“And hide in the closet?” Irene laughed teasingly, and then kissed Seulgi on the cheek, “You have to go now.”

Seulgi froze at her standing place, in seconds she could feel her cheeks warmed up. She looked at Irene and held her hands; once again locking her gaze, “Yes. We can hide in the closet.”

“But there may be a ghost.”

“I can protect you.”

“Ghost isn’t afraid of a pirate.”

“Then we just have to run.”

“And have my dad mad?”

“I don’t care.” Seulgi pulled Irene wrists to make her stepped closer and landed a kiss on her lips. It all happened in sudden that none of them even realized what they were doing. But it was a nice kiss; a long, soft, delicate kiss that made both of them felt calm and relaxed, also somehow secured. They looked at each other afterwards and nothing broke the silence before their laugh burst.

“So,” Seulgi opened her first conversation after the kiss, “I guess I have to go.”

Irene nodded with a smile, and Seulgi turned her body and started to walk away; leaving Irene. But a few inches later she stopped. She looked at Irene again.

“Irene.”

“Yes?”

“When I come to visit you again, will you still be here?”

Irene nodded, “I will always be here.”

And that was the only answer Seulgi needed.

As Seulgi entered her car and sat in the front seat next to her mother, she could still see Irene standing there; a few inches from her door; waving Seulgi a goodbye. Seulgi pulled down the window and waved her back.

“Just like the old time.” Her mom said.

“Mh-hm,”

“Did you give her something this time?”

“Yeah, I gave her something she would never forget.”

And as the car started passing house by house of the blocks, Irene stood in her place and watched it slowly went out of sight; touching her lips and beaming.