TWO 二

Flame of Seulgi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“How was your day at school, my dear?” Hodong asks as Seulgi takes off her school shoes. Seulgi dodges him in “lightning speed” when her father attempts to hug her.

“Appa, I told you to stop doing that.” Seulgi says while she changes into her house slippers. “I only have to clean the hallways for two more days. After that, I’d have more time to do training.”

Hodong frowns at the rejection, but he understands that his daughter is growing up and tries to act mature. “Seulgi-ah, don’t you think you’re exhausting yourself too much? I know training is important to you but you must also pay attention to your studies. You do know I do not make much from selling fireworks.”

“Don’t worry about it, appa. I’ll take part-time jobs when this school year is over.” Seulgi reassures him. 

“No, that’s not what I meant. I want you to focus on your academics so you can enter a good university. When you get a degree, you’ll have better career opportunities.” Hodong explains.

“Appa, I’m sorry to disappoint you. You know I’m not interested in going to prestigious universities. When I finish high school, I’ll start working full-time so I can help out with the expenses.” Seulgi, now in her “training” attire, which is a mesh sleeveless top paired with black karate pants and tabi boots, emerges from her room. 

Hodong sighs, he doesn’t want his daughter to be like him. Like any other parent, he wants the best for Seulgi. He thinks it would be nice for Seulgi to be a doctor, a lawyer, or maybe an engineer. You know, the typical Asian parent. He will not force Seulgi to obey him but he wants Seulgi to realize that the time she spends on “training to be the best ninja” isn’t gonna help her much in the real world. 

Hodong decides he’ll save this talk for later. “Don’t take it too hard and remember to warm up first.”  

“Thanks appa.” Seulgi then heads out to her “training ground” aka their backyard. 

She takes out her kunai and shuriken and throws them at the same time. Some hit the trunk of the tree but only one struck it deep enough to leave a mark. Seulgi groans in disappointment. 

“I need to do better than this.” 

And so, she spends the whole night throwing shuriken and kunai at the tree, disturbing the houses nearby in the process with all those grunts and clunks.

When she wakes up the next day, her sleep-deprived neighbors who must leave early for work and school glare at her as she waits for the bus with them at the stop. 

xXx

“I saw them leave school together yesterday.” 

“Really? Are you sure about that?”

“Yes, I couldn’t believe it either! I forgot to take a picture though.”

“Why would Park Sooyoung hang out with that weirdo anyway?”

“It must be because of that transferee. Ever since that day, Sooyoung lost her popularity as the princess of Yangji.” 

Sooyoung slams her locker hurriedly when she heard the last statement. It made her blood boil. She wants to chokeslam those talkers but chooses to just let it go. Another school offense is only gonna affect her so-called “popularity” badly. 

That’s the reason why she avoids Seulgi. It’s not going to be that hard because today is the last day they’re doing all this cleaning. She barely controls her temper when she sees Seulgi throw crumpled papers at the trash bin like she does with shuriken. Sooyoung thinks it’s childish but at the same time, it impressed her because every ball of paper went it. 

Seulgi grins cockily, feeling accomplished because her efforts yesterday became fruitful. Sooyoung expression softens at the sight. “At least she isn’t like those idiots who talk ill about others.”

“Caught ya.” Seulgi states as she caught Sooyoung looking at her. 

“Why would Park Sooyoung hang out with that weirdo anyway?”

Sooyoung turns away and glances around. She doesn’t want to be caught chatting with Seulgi. “It’ll be finally over in an hour. Just keep cleaning, Sooyoung.”

Seulgi notices the change in Sooyoung’s behavior. Since the day they bumped into each other, Sooyoung never stopped mentioning how irritated she is by her peculiar habits. As it didn’t offend Seulgi in any way, she didn’t attempt to defend herself everytime. 

Seulgi wants to ask Sooyoung if something happened as the latter wasn’t her usual self. However, she suddenly remembers their conversation last time.  

“Why are you like this? It’s annoying me to death!”

“It’s just how I am.”

“That’s why no one’s talking to you. You’re we-, not acting normal.”

Seulgi dismisses the thought. Maybe Sooyoung’s annoyed and doesn’t want to speak with her anymore. 

Oh well, it’s not like they’re close or something.

They finished their chores and returned the cleaning equipment to the storage room. Sooyoung leaves first as she doesn’t want to be seen leaving the school premises with Seulgi again. Seulgi, being t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter