of clubs and ping pong

small trouble
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jihyo heaved out a sigh, letting her head fall to the table with a thud then closed her eyes, trying to think of something. The noise caught some attention around the room.


 

The first person to ever react was Soeun, giving the youngest a worried look and went over to her, checking up on her and then sat on the chair beside her. “Jihan-ie, what’s wrong? Seems like you’re in big trouble judging how deep your sighs were,” She asked, crossing her legs and leaning closer to the younger.


 

In an instant, Jihyo’s eyes fluttered open, yelping and shifting away a bit when Soeun’s sulky and concerned face greeted her— upon sinking what the older just had asked her, she deeply sighed again. Jaehee’s eyes narrowed, turning her swivel chair in her direction and scooted a bit, almost crashing with Jiyoon who’s also rolling towards Jihyo’s direction— she gave the younger an apologetic smile and peace pose before continuing to roll her chair to get closer to the youngest.


 

Jihyo’s shoulders slumped, finally voicing out her troubles. “My teacher talked to me today. She said that my grades are dropping…” She said with a frustrated tone, and the three snorted. “Not like it’s new,” Jaehee remarked with a snicker and the youngest gave her a death glare.


 

“That’s not the major problem!” The frustrated girl exclaimed, ruffling her hair. Jiyoon leaned her upper body at the backrest of the swivel chair, giving her a curious look. “Then what is?” She asked with a small smile.


 

Jihyo pouted, looking at them one by one before responding. “She said that I need to join a club so at least, it could help me with my grades… And she also added that I’m the only one in our class who didn’t join any clubs!” She said, puckering her lower lip and huffed.



 

Soeun smiled, biting out a laugh. “I told you, join a club already. I’ve been forcing you to join my baking club. I already have a spot ready for you!” She happily said, her eyes sparkling in excitement but Jihyo just looked at her dead in the eyes. “I told you, unnie. I don’t have any interest in baking. And I almost burned down the club’s kitchen when you were teaching me how to bake cookies for god’s sake!” The younger answered, frowning as she remembered that the other members of the baking club glared at her for a whole month whenever they bump into her in hallways or cafeteria because they had to clean the oven and see if it’s still safe to use.


 

The older uncomfortably shifted, realizing something. “M-Maybe we could work on that,” She offered, hesitating but she wanted to help the younger out. Jihyo shook her head, dismissing the idea. “Not again, unnie. I might burn the whole school for real.” She muttered and sulked. Soeun pouted, scratching her head a bit, determined to help. “How about the fencing club?” She suggested.


 

Snorting, Jaehee went back to her own table and continued her work. “Jihyo actually tried joining it but as usual, she failed miserably.” She muttered and the younger whined about it, yelling at the older one. “Hey! I did well there, it was just… The others were much better, okay?” She replied, defending herself.


 

“Yeah, sure. You almost pierced the tip of your sword towards Soojin-unnie’s eye, thankfully the tip has a rubber cushion.” Jaehee reminded her and Soeun gasped dramatically, looking at Jihyo with a horrified look. “You almost did what?!” She asked, her voice raising out of shock. The youngest just rolled her eyes and slumped down into her desk.


 

“Okay, fencing is out of the list. Can’t afford you to kill Soojin-nie.” Soeun said, shaking her head in shock and disappointment. Jiyoon laughed wholeheartedly, finding this situation very amusing. “Soeun, your big fat crush on Soojin-unnie is showing.” She pointed out and the second oldest inside that very room blushed, waving Jiyoon off. “Hush. What do you mean by that? I don’t like her, I’m just literally scared because Jihyo might kill someone.” Soeun defended herself, cheeks still warm.


 

After all, it’s not really a secret that the latter likes the captain of the fencing women club— although she kept denying it, actions speak louder than words anyway but that’s not the point now—


 

Jiyoon then turned to Jihyo who’s lazily tapping the table with her fingers. “How about join our band? I’m sure you will do well as a vocalist there.” She offered, smiling brightly. Jihyo likes to sing for sure but she knows she won’t fit in very well there, plus, she’s not really that of a good singer (according to herself, of course). She’s also not confident enough to sing in front of people she barely knows.


 

“Thanks for the offer unnie, but I’m afraid I can’t,” Jihyo rejected politely with a smile but Jiyoon just shrugged it off. “It’s alright, I won’t force you.” She responded then turned around, spotting Jaehee. “How about Jaehee’s? You’re just going to make the morning announcement every Friday!” She tried to suggest and it made Jaehee turn to the commotion.


 

Shrugging, Jaehee nodded along, they were short in staff anyway. “Why not? If you want, sure,” She said and went back to her papers. It made Jihyo think, but then, she’s not really good at it— she might everything over and stutter. She can’t afford for the whole school to hear her stuttering mess and being stupid because of too much nervousness.


 

“Pass. I stutter a lot.” Jihyo said, then groaned and started to throw some tantrums because clubs don't really interest her, she just wants to mind her own business. school. If it’s not really needed then she wouldn’t worry over it. This club will play a significant role into her grades, plus, Ms. Kang might forcely put her in the art club even though she can’t draw for .


 

Soeun shrugged, humming as she tried to think of some clubs that Jihyo should try. Meanwhile, Jiyoon just cackled then whistled. “Woah, you’re really in trouble, Jihan-ah~” She sang and rolled away, going back to her own desk and it made Jihyo pout.


 

“How about photography? Jimin will surely take you in,” Soeun suggested and Jihyo wondered for a while, she’s decent at taking pictures though but then, it’s not your average photography club. “I’ll consider it.” She muttered. “But I’m not sure.” She added with a sigh.


 

There was silence for a while, Jihyo getting lost into her deep thoughts while Soeun started to doodle some bread on the back of her notebook as Jiyoon hummed a popular song’s tune as she did her own work. Jaehee took a deep breath and turned around again.


 

“Ping pong club.” She suddenly said and it earned the other three’s attention, most especially Jihyo, her ears perked up in curiosity. “It’s a new club but it’s garnering attention, like a lot of attention...” She muttered then shrugged. “You played table tennis in elementary, right? You could try out tomorrow. I’m friends with the president of the said club, I could inform her about it.” She offered and for once, Jihyo thought it won’t be bad, she could decently play ping pong but then— it’s been a while ever since she played again, her skills might be non-existent now, however, it doesn’t sound bad. It’s actually better among all suggested clubs from earlier.


 

Jiyoon also lit up at the mention of the club. “Yeah, I heard a lot of good words about that club. Seems like it’s really nice? A lot were trying out,” She said, blinking. Jaehee was then seen tapping something on her phone.


 

Soeun nodded. “Yeah, it’s quite popular around too. I wonder what’s with the club itself? I mean, table tennis is kind of… odd and unpopular sport.” She replied, a little bit confused. Jaehee giggled. “Because of the members and president of the club herself,” She answered to satisfy their questions.


 

Jihan tilted her head a bit. “Eh? No wonder,” She said, snorting. Well, a lot of students do try outs in some sports clubs or other popular clubs because of the members of it, even though they’re not entirely interested, they would only join because of their crushes and stuff.


 

Nodding, Soeun understood. Jiyoon chuckled. “Who’s the prez anyway?” She asked and Jaehee snorted playfully, fixing her papers first. Suddenly, Jihyo got nervous.


 

Jaehee glanced briefly at Jihyo with a smirk then finally replied. “Jo Hyewon,” She muttered the name. “Infamously known as Zoa.” She added before turning her body again away from them and continued doing her work.


 

Jihan’s brain malfunctioned, her body went tense upon hearing that very familiar name. Her eyes widened and her fists started to clench. “Jaehee! Not her. There’s no way I will do try out in that stupid club!” She screamed, panicking and trembling in anger.


 

Soeun and Jiyoon just stared at each other, having mixed feelings. Jaehee just laughed. “Sorry, lady. I already told her and you can’t do about it.” She said, giggling while Jihyo just stared at her with shocked eyes.


 

Groaning, Jihyo stood up and grabbed her bag. “Hell no. I won’t present myself there tomorrow!” She said and slung her bag on her shoulders with an angry huff. Jaehee just shrugged. “I’m sure Hyewon also informed Ms. Kang about it and you wouldn’t like seeing Hyewon storming down into your house.” She answered with a teasing smile but Jihyo just glared at her.


 

Rolling her eyes and stomping her foot over, Jihyo walked away from the room with an annoyed grunt and marched down to the hallway— leaving the three dumbfounded. Soeun looked at Jaehee, worried. “Will she be okay?” She asked. Jaehee nodded with a scoff. “Yeah. Don’t worry.” She reassured with a smile.


 

Obviously, Jaehee is into something.


 


 

Jo Hyewon— Jihyo hates hearing or seeing that name so much. It didn’t help that the owner of that beautiful— I mean, plain name, is popular around and Jihan couldn’t help but to hear about the gossip and compliments about her every single day. She would rather listen to her history teacher’s boring lecture for five hours than hear compliments and s about Hyewon.


 

So, what exactly made Jihyo loathe her like this? Seems like Hyewon really did something bad to her and bingo, Hyewon really did something bad to her when they were still in middle school.


 

You see, Jihyo is a quiet person, she would rather do her work and business in silence— there at one corner and stays out of other people’s noses at all costs. Meanwhile, Hyewon is popular— with her outstanding visual, intelligence, proportions, and came from a influential family— it’s no wonder that a lot of people admire her and know her. Well, Jihyo disliked her already for that reason, she doesn’t like popular pretty yet mean girls. She’s probably one of the few people who doesn’t really envy Hyewon for her beauty and popularity.


 

Hyewon isn’t exactly mean, heck, she’s nice, sweet, humble, and literally heaven god-sent however, except towards Jihyo. Since Hyewon is really smart, she skipped a grade and despite being younger by one year, she was classmates with her.


 

Jihyo noticed the younger’s behavior around her compared to her friends or classmates, plus, it’s really noticeable. Very much.


 

Hyewon likes to pick on her, bicker with her, and annoy her. She would annoy the out of her every time she spotted a chance and it irked Jihyo so much. She would always steal Jihyo’s notebooks, diary and other stuff that belonged to her then hide it around the room, or worse, won’t give her things back.


 

As an introvert, Jihyo couldn’t fight back really much since she doesn’t want to get bullied by her other classmates too. Only Jaehee would ask Hyewon to give her things back, but if she’s there— if Jihyo’s lucky enough that very day. But along the way, Jihyo learned how to respond back sarcastically and match Hyewon’s intense glares and words. When everything goes out of hand or Hyewon is being too much, Jihyo will fight back.


 

They don’t really fight much but when they do then prepare to watch a very intense match of verbal exchange between them. They never get physical though, only one time when Hyewon accidentally elbowed Jihyo’s forehead but that was an accident, Jihyo knew that, she was just petty. She knew how the younger was so guilty and sorry when it happened but Jihyo just ignored it, she convinced herself that Hyewon was just acting it so she could hit her soft heart.


 

And then when they reached highschool, they are in the same school again but thankfully, the gods must have pitied Jihyo’s and didn’t make them classmates for this year. Jihyo never felt such peace, after suffering for three consecutive years with Hyewon. With that, she didn’t pay much attention to Hyewon nor to the popular kids of their school and minded her business, as usual.


 

Until now, she doesn’t really know why Hyewon dislikes her when she’s just literally minding her own business all the time. Maybe because she looked weak? Hyewon did mention once that she likes to annoy her because she looked stupid whenever she’s getting angry because of stupid pranks that she pulled. But still, she’s very angry at Hyewon for doing stuff like that to her and made her middle school life a living hell because of a stupid invalid reason.


 

She loathes Hyewon, and it’s safe to assume that Hyewon hates her too. And she would rather stay away and not meet Hyewon once again in her entire life.


 

But then… Why is she standing there in front of the Table Tennis Club’s room? Contemplating to enter and just remained standing still, eyes on the sign hanging on the oak wood door. And if Jihyo’s not wrong, she’s rooted from her spot for at least thirty minutes already. She already got weird looks from other students lounging around the club room area.


 

“Shizzz, why am I here in the first place?” Jihyo muttered to herself with a sigh. Maybe, Jaehee’s threat really scared her or she just wanted to prove something to herself that she’s not a coward.


 

With a sigh, she finally surrendered, deciding to back out and give no towards the try out and probably slap herself because she actually considered going even though she knew the consequences and the possible outcome. Hyewon might just humiliate her or something there.


 

She was about to turn and walk away when suddenly, a person went to her. “Hello,” She greeted and Jihyo flinched a bit, bowing a bit. “O-Oh, hello.” She muttered shyly and timidly, she’s not really good at socializing. Her eyes darted to the stranger, scanning her and it didn’t take her long to realize that this person is possibly a member of the ping pong club judging by the attire and badge.


 

“You must be Han Jihyo-ssi?” The stranger asked softly and Jihyo nodded furiously and nervously. “Y-Yes, pleasure to meet you…” She greeted awkwardly which made the girl chuckle. “Hi Jihyo-ssi! I’m Ahn Yujin~ I’m a member of the club.” She introduced herself and shook hands with Jihyo.


 

Meanwhile, the shorter girl was in awe because Yujin is really pretty but she snapped back into reality when the taller girl spoke again with a charming sm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter