Minuet

Music Box: A Seongsang Story.

Joseon era: 

The markets were busy today in Hanseong, Joseon. The scholars were studying, the ladies of the houses were out and about buying silk, and expensive jewels to add to their already impressive collection. The slaves, as usual, were doing their masters' bidding, backs hunched over with an impossible load of items on their backs; wood, buckets of water and anything else they had been asked to do. The weather was nice too. Sunny, but not too hot. Perfect weather to lay by the side of the river and relax and bathe in the sun. It was Spring after all.

Outside one of the homes of a well-known family, Kang, sat their son, Gaosheng. Although he was not known to be the most talkative of the citizens, he was well-known for his beauty. On most days, he was the envy of the many ladies and men alike. The ladies envied his beauty whilst the men envied how popular he was amongst the ladies. However, it seemed like Gaosheng was not interested in any of them. He sat there most days observing his surroundings and painted them. His delicate hands moving the brush across the thin piece of parchment as everyone stared mesmerised wondering how someone could make even the simplest of movements so beautiful.

On this very particular day however, it seemed like the talk of the town was someone else. The son of an aristocrat had come into town. He was extremely handsome with striking features and a charisma that made many women fall to their feet when he passed them on his horse. He was also extremely polite, smart and well-versed. The ideal son-in-law, it just seemed like coincidence when Xinhua had passed Gaosheng... and blocked his view of the cherry blossoms he was in the middle of painting.

Slightly annoyed, Gaosheng turned to Xinhua and pouted, "Excuse me? You're blocking my view."

Xinhua turned around on his horse slightly, uttering, "Sorry, my mistake", before fully turning around and meeting Gaosheng straight in the eye.

It happened almost immediately. Their hearts began to race and they felt the pull towards each other as if they had become each other's gravity instead of the Earth. Stammering, Gaosheng said, "It's-it's okay. I-I was j-just painting the cherry blossoms that you blocked..."

For a minute Xinhua looked stunned, as if he didn't understand a single word Gaosheng had said before turning around and looking at the cherry blossoms. "Y-yes, the cherry blossoms. They are indeed very beautiful at this time of the year." He had said, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck with a shy smile. "Although you are even more beautiful," he added quietly under his breath.

Gaosheng nodded at the comment and blushed as well, looking down and finding his paint brush very interesting at the moment indicating that he had heard Xinhua's later comment.

After pausing for a moment, Xinhua got off his horse walked towards Gaosheng before grabbing his arm pulling him in so close one could think they were embracing.

"Come, I'll show you somewhere I go whenever I need some time alone to just think", Xinhua whispered into Gaosheng's ear. Gaosheng shivered slightly but agreed. Mounting the horse, they set off.

They rode for a while, and it was almost sunset when they arrived at the location. It was an extremely wide lake. From where they dismounted, it was a spectacular view. The tide was low and as the sun was setting, fireflies were starting to light up, dancing around the trees in the vicinity. The breeze blew sporadically, and it was a comfortable feeling against their clothes.

"It's nice," breathed Gaosheng softly, closing his eyes.

"Yes, it is. It's a special place I hold close to my heart. I used to come here all the time as a child to play whenever I wasn't at home studying," replied Xinhua as he sat down on the sand. His horse had gone off to the trees to munch the grass.

Gaosheng sat down too and warily leaned his head against Xinhua's shoulders. Xinhua's breath hitched slightly and his eyes drooped before he suddenly realised there was something in his bag saddle bag that he had wanted to show Gaosheng. Quietly standing up on his feet as to not wake Gaosheng up, he walked quickly to his bag and got out a curious instrument. He walked back to Gaosheng. By then, he was already awake and staring at the object in Xinhua's hand. It was an object quite unseen of in Joseon and Xinhua knew that. 

It was a wooden box, carved out of mahogany wood and painted white colour. On the sides, leaves were carved into the wood. Maple leaves. Red maple leaves, sugar maple leaves. Colours of all sorts contrasting vividly against each other. On top of the box, two words were carved in a language that both Gaosheng and Xinhua couldn't understand, focusing more on its beautiful calligraphy. 

"It's a music box," Xinhua whispered softly, "When you open up the lid, music will be played for a while before it stops and the box closes again automatically. My father received this as a parting gift from an American official when he was here on business here in Hanseong." Gaosheng was staring at the object in wonder. 

Setting the box down on the sand in front of them with care, he opened up the lid carefully and a ballerina appeared turning to a twinkling version of Fur Elise, its white figure seemed to shine against the black velvet. Nothing was spoken for a long while as they sat there in silence taking in the view. The sun had set by now and the moon had risen casting a silvery light over water. 

Gaosheng slowly nodded back to sleep on Xinhua's shoulders as Xinhua silently vowed to protect him from any dangers in the future. 

 

A.N. Let me know what you think.