Blood and Papers

The Jungs

"Love, which quickly arrests the gentle heart, seized him with my beautiful form that was taken from me, in a manner which still grieves me.

Love, which pardons no beloved from loving, took me so strongly with delight in him that, as you see, it still abandons me not..."

—Dante Alighieri, Inferno

 

Harin was definitely going to have another long day. Five piles of documents are on his desk, each holds a meaningful content for the whole company– his mother's, theirs. 

 

His birth is at the most crucial time as his favorite aunt, Choi Sooyoung, told him. The family had a very complicated set-up, that's why with a number of seven kids, he can barely get his mother's validation. 

 

And so he thought. 

 

He never felt loved. That's how to put it in the least. Irene tried to get close with him during his middle school years. The students might find him really charming with a well-built body even as young as a teen. He dated a few times and was a diligent kid over the years but compared to all his siblings, he was unappreciated. 

 

Here's why:

 

Minjoo gets to study abroad because of Jessica's money. She was the unplanned golden child. The youngest was Jessica's symbol of hope; the girl who could make up all her broken pieces– Harin symbolizes her hardest days. It was when Jessica found the truth about herself when she's pregnant with Harin and it was not a comforting truth. It costs her whole existence. But Minjoo was just too innocent, too peaceful, too oblivious that she is yet another mistake(read: achievement). Jessica never had the chance to hold Harin that much when he was born.

 

His younger brother, Subin, is the recovery child. It is when Jessica learned to accept herself little by little. Jessica cannot touch Harin. Harin was Jessica's regret. The poor baby was almost disowned. He never gets to choose for himself. It was his eternal punishment for being the child of Jessica during her darkest days. Harin can only envy him but he was young and he was not aware of the unfair treatment. If Minjoo gets to choose, Harin is her favorite big brother. He was fun and caring until he grew up, felt the lack of love, and stopped being the sweet boy that he was.

 

Mina and Jiro will always be different in the eyes of Jessica. Jessica pities the twin. Afterall, among the kids, she was not able to make any contact with their father. They may be Jessica's mistake as much as Harin but Jessica took them in and never failed to try and make them know what it feels like to have both a mother and father in one person. Harin never felt that; his father can't look him in the eyes as the poor man remembers all Jessica's wrong decisions leading them to the most unhealthy relationship possible. Jessica can look at Harin only with a blank expression.

 

Harin's eyes never looked like that of his mom or his dad. That is why he loathes Jiae. Jiae resembles Jessica and her father the most. She is Jessica's first mistake– the mark of Jessica's infidelity. His illegitimate sister knows of this that is why unlike Harin, she held strong of her beliefs. Harin envies Jiae when the girl finally decided to get off their mom's grip. It is rather an impossible option and true enough, Jiae is still held captive by their blood and their name's fame, power, and pressure. But Jiae managed to runaway during highschool, when Harin is just a freshmen and barely knows that Jiae has to get Jessica breaking when she thought she'll lose a daughter. 

 

Harin wondered, will Jessica grief like this when he's gone?

 

How Harin wishes he was one of the favorites like his Irene noona. Nevertheless, he can only feel envy but not hate. How can he hate someone who did nothing but worry for him? The oldest daughter is actually a better mother figure than his real mom. It was Harin's birthday just when he first started college. The only people in the household that dared greet him is Irene, Mina, and Minjoo. Irene skipped her one important college midterm just to pick Harin up in the dean's office. 

 

Harin isn't the type of guy to make unnecessary troubles and Subin might be the same way if he didn't change all of the sudden in the middle of his highschool years but Harin can't care more about what changed the ways of his little brother. Harin got his noona inside the dean's office to announce that he will be an exchange student but for him to be able to be one, he needed to shift his degree from culinary to business management.

 

Irene knew who did this cruelty to his younger brother. None other than their mom, perhaps.

 

In the end, Harin chose to meet their mom's expectations. The siblings are sitting there together, side by side. Irene can only sympathize. As the only pillar of Harin's strength, Irene held his hand, his head facing the ground, scared of what more will he be facing after this heavy decision he made.

 

"I'll come with you. I will tell mom that I can spend my last year there in San Francisco."

 

Harin is about to decline, but Irene smiled softly and what Irene said next made him too grateful that atleast, for once, a person would be making a sacrifice for his sake. 

 

"You won't be alone. We're in this together." 

 

Harin is forever grateful to his Irene noona. He made it a life mission to save his older sister with the mess Jessica has put her into. 

 

This is the first and only time he turned against his mother's demands. Jessica was supposed to give him the whole control over the Blanc et Eclare Gourmet and Pastries. He declined. 

 

He started off from the simplest job. A regular employee. 

 

Anyone who has watched his growth over the past year, can't disagree that he, of all his siblings, deserved what he has right now. He crawled all the way into the position as an executive of the main company management. 

 

His office is huge, with a boring yet aesthetic combination of blue and brown. He has been very organized since he was a kid. Every insider of the company is rooting for him with owning the whole group in the future. He was unappreciated no more, atleast. 

 

An unwanted visitor came inside his office room without notice. 

 

"I told you, I'm skipping lunch. You don't need to bother."

 

The company's id hangs on the visitor's chest pocket. He served the nobleman's food anyway. He was told to do so by a more powerful superior. As a regular employee, or maybe someone who got up slightly with the ranks, that's his most appropriate action. 

 

"Hwang Hyunjin!" 

 

Emotionlessly, he bowed to the man in front of him and left the room. 

 

Harin threw the leaves of papers off his hands. He doesn't need to worry since he's rejecting that proposal anyway. His heart is uncontrollably beating fast. He doesn't like that person to appear in front of him anytime soon. 

 

Every now and then, the words of his mom echoes in his head. 

 

"Stop. If you are very much interested in inheriting everything that I have right now, you need to stop looking at him like that."

 

She was right. But Harin needs to save Irene from inheriting the whole d*mn company. He wants to save Irene from the control of their mom and let her, for once, live a life of her own.

 

"Harin, this place is not a plain maze. The company itself has a lot of dead ends and everyone will try to bring you down, son."

 

Now, Harin can't even control himself around the first person who made him feel special. The cook who puts his heart to the dish that Harin can't help but to savor. Harin chose his mom over his own dreams. It'll be hidden just like that and will be kept hidden for time immemorial. 

 

His shift ended for the day and as everybody expected him to be, the result of today's productivity is excellent. He is a Jung afterall. 

 

The lights for the dark sturdy room ; it was a place a few only knew Harin owns. His recording studio. Soon after, his dear friend came in with his guitar on his back. There are only two copies of the keys available– that, is for the two owners of the recording studio.

 

"Kanghyun, I messed up today too."

 

They knew each other since they were little. Harin made friends with the loser Kanghyun during elementary and since then, they were inseparable. Kanghyun knew everything about Harin, Harin knew Kanghyun likewise. Starting off from Harin's standing as the 5th oldest among the Jung siblings down to his uality, Kanghyun knew everything. 

 

They grew too accustomed with one another that no talks were needed. Kanghyun knew, all Harin needs today is nice music and a presence of a friend– something that only Kanghyun can give to his dearest friend.

 

They started playing their respective instruments: Harin sets up the keyboard while the younger one sets up his guitar. They were in a band from highschool until college separated the band leaving him and Kanghyun the only members left. 

 

Calming melodies from the keyboard broke out when Harin's expressed the loneliness he felt for his trapped life. 

 

Kanghyun led the melodies. 

 

They were in sync. 

 

https://youtu.be/JJprGQVsup0

 

Nobody sings. It was a few minutes of them playing to their heart's content until they were able to call it a day. They need to go back to their respective proper lives where their parent(s) neglect what true happiness means for them. 

 

 

 

Jiro is having his dinner in his office with a tequila and everything to keep his brain cells alive and working. 

 

He's not dumb.

 

He has a sachet of anabolic steroids on his hand. It is not illegal since it was prescribed to him and of all people, by his twin. 

 

He looked at his watch and it's supposed to be a party night for him like usual. As much as he wanted to just ditch his sister, he knew the girl didn't bring her car on purpose. The issue about the girl he made out with hasn't ended yet. 

 

He knew where to go. 

 

It's past his working hours but still too early for catching his sister from her work. He got down from the top floor of his company building to the 16th floor. There is a bridge connecting the main group building and the Technology department building. 

 

Seo Jisoo bowed to him as they crossed paths. 

 

"End of day report?" He asked the young lady and she can't help but nod her head yes the most elegant way possible. 

 

"Three o'clock. Second door." They passed by each other like nothing happened. 

 

It was Jisoo's end of the day report for him. 

 

There he was able to read the day's surveillance of her mother's other kids. 

 

Blanc et Eclare Security Team. 

B. E. S. T. 

 

He doesn't hate them but he doesn't really trust them. Jiro can't help it. Living in a family filled with lots of strange habits and rules, the least thing he can do is to at least know something. 

 

But no matter how hard he tried to look for clues, he's still left unanswered. 

 

Why did his mother leave his company share by only half. Where did the other half go? It doesn't actually matter to him, he knew he can still make his own firm grow bigger and larger than her mom's because truth be told, technology runs the industry in the most convenient way and he's not dumb. He knew this skill would be the most useful, his asset. 

 

But why? He is not having any reproductive disorders. Mina wouldn't risk her licence for him, would she? Does he really have to take those steroids? Is Mina not trusting him now? 

 

His endless notes of questions came to an end when anxiety began taking over his head. He's not turning into his father, is he? 

 

He's not going to be someone Mina will grow to hate. Because Mina never grew hate on someone except their very own father. Afterall, their father left the two of them in the most inefficient state. His father who promised to both of them that he will return to claim them but he never did. 

 

Their mother is powerful yet gentle so it's not like it is a very big deal for him if their father did not return but Mina had the hardest time. 

 

Mina is quiet. 

 

She never spoke about her thoughts but she's not dumb either. Jiro understands her best since there's a connection between the two of them that only twins can pull off. Mina will never speak about it but she always wanted parental love. It was indeed promised to them by their father and mother but Mina thought, at least their mom is there. 

 

All Mina has is Jiro, and all Jiro has is Mina. Compared to the rest of their siblings, their father is the least powerful. 

 

He was the culprit why Jiro and Mina have Japanese blood. Being a mix blood is something that makes them intimidating in the eyes of their siblings. Mina is pure so not even the competitive Harin, the troublemaker Subin, nor the arrogant Jiae can touch her. They have no reasons too. The two of them just keep on standing on their own spots to survive.

 

But why did Mina, all of a sudden, give him a strange medicine?

 

"You're a jerk, but I can't blame you." Seohyun entered the room which made Jiro almost jump in surprise. 

 

His intimidating eyes landed on the fine lady. "I was hoping you're the only one normal," Seohyun can speak all she wants and Jiro can't talk back. 

 

Not when the head of Blanc et Eclare Security Team knows a lot about him more than he does. Seohyun probably knew where his and Mina's father is but she'll never tell. If it's about B&E's image, she will favor the best option where the whole empire his mother owns will mostly benefit or will have the least damage. 

 

…and they are trapped in that empire not by papers but by blood. 

 

"I bet Harin got a bigger sum than you do now." Without any change of emotion on Seohyun's face, she plucked the final string that holds every bit of Jiro's patience together. 

 

He returned Jisoo's book of the day's surveillance that he specifically requested her to do just for him. Unknown to the older lady of what the content of the book is, he expressed his displeased mood by wearing the same cold gaze he got from his mom. 

 

Seohyun is way too used to it. Having her boss give that gaze for years of working with her and getting the same for her seven kids, imagine how immune she would be to that gaze. Jiro has stated his stand. It’s time for him to go.

 

He left the room with a Seohyun keeping her calm. The lady shook her head. 

 

 

 

 

Three knocks on Jessica’s office door is enough to get her off her deep thoughts.

 

“Come in.” She quickly fixed herself.

 

“Mom, I saw Bogum at my meeting earlier.” Jiae looked at her wristwatch. It’s a perfect time for dinner. 

 

“Should we go grab something to eat? I’m starving.” Jessica is half-surprised. Not only Jiae paid her a visit unexpectedly which she never did. Moreover, her second eldest invited her for dinner for the first time. Knowing that she’s a woman of surprising decisions, Jessica is a bit worried. She is still internalizing the big revelation she just read from the papers. She can’t take in any new big news.

 

The door creaked revealing a couple who had been out for the day.

 

Jiae glared at the only Japanese girl.

 

“Well, that’s a very nice idea. I was having a lot of stress for the day since the company is trying to launch an expansion with the automobile department. Why don’t we invite Irene and Sana with our dinner?” Jessica took the opportunity to keep herself from being alone with her child.

 

Irene is not just surprised. She’s astonished. Why is her sister doing here? Jiae could be overworking herself in her own office by this moment and it’s a very rare occasion to see her taking a break.

 

The white haired girl hissed. “That’s lame. I thought this would be a family-only dinner but that will be fine.”

 

She shifted her gaze to Sana.

 

“I can stand a gold digger for several hours.” Jiae looked back at Jessica who’s regretting inviting over two other ladies with their dinner. There is an intimidating smile on her face while Irene and Jessica both hold their breath. 

 

“I know, why don’t we eat at the place where I almost got ually harassed earlier?”

 

The arrogant girl walked out of the room knowing that she completely destroyed the esteem of the unwanted visitor. Sana is calm. She giggled enough for Jiae to stop while she’s almost out of the room.

 

“Jiae ssi, don’t you worry, sweetie. I am your soon to be sister-in-law.” Jiae turned around only to be greeted with a Sana raising her right hand with a ring on her finger.

 

“I’d appreciate it if you can atleast call me ‘eonni’. You can do that, right?” Sana smiled sweetly, Irene is falling for her over and over again and Jessica cannot be any more stressed. 

 

“Let’s go have dinner, mom. I’m getting hungry.” Sana proudly invited the woman. Jessica heaved one last heavy sigh; Sana took Irene by her hand and walked past Jiae.

 

This will be a very long night for the four of them.

 

They have been assisted by a limousine Jessica prepared on certain occasions. Since the four of them were effortlessly dressed up elegantly, she knew one fancy fine dining restaurant somewhere and being tranquil is perfect for the mood. Jiae tried to decline but Jessica insisted. Jiae agreed to eat there only if she will pay for the meal. As expected from her meticulous kid, Jiae is definitely her child.

 

Irene however, is uneasy the whole time. She should be comfortable while she’s being surrounded by the three most beloved people of her life but this seems to be not the best timing to have a dinner with any of them.

 

It was not long after they arrived at the fancy place Jessica pictured to lessen the tension between each and everyone of them. The servers are excellent. Starting from the menu, the facility, down to the theme and ambiance, everything is lovely. She should take note of this for their gourmet firm. 

 

Only for Jiae to break the perfect night Jessica prepared for them.

 

The girl suddenly smiled upon catching the sight of an innocent lawyer. “Bogum ssi! Here!” Jiae asked for an extra seat. The poor young man is dumbfounded to see the three of his higher bosses in one place.

 

“I hope you don’t mind if I invited the guy who saved me earlier from being harassed. I planned this dinner to thank my very caring mom.” Jiae boasted, Bogum bowed his head with an awkward smile. That was definitely one weird way of thanking someone.

 

Of all ways, this would be the most torturing –atleast for Bogum. 

 

Jessica knew everything that is going on within the table. By this rate, she’s not by any chance comfortable at all. Sana felt territorial all of a sudden holding Irene’s hand and flexing the ring she has with hers.

 

Bogum was able to notice.

 

Jiae is liking it.

 

The waiters served the expensive meals with the fanciest set-up. He felt like throwing up. He almost can’t stand the coaster of emotions stirring inside him and Irene is oblivious to everything. The young guy never left the sight of the hands with matching designs of engagement rings.

 

“Let’s eat?” Jiae cued starting the hell of a dinner.

 

 

 

 

The same Aston Martin was parked by the lot reserved only for the hospital staff. Just in time, Mina got off the building and only to be greeted by a silver haired twin. 

 

“Shift finished early today?” Mina asked.

 

“You’re not the only one who’s allowed to bleach hair.” He shrugged.

 

She ruffled his twin’s hair while giggling. “Mitang, stop! It still hurts!” Jiro whined upon feeling some skin on his scalp.

 

“And those tattoos didn’t?” She bursted out laughing making her twin scowled in pain.“Hop in, I’m famished.” Mina immediately did as soon as Jiro opened the car door for her. They were able to see a couple of paparazzi and Mina did her best to look like the girl Jiro dated the other night. Now, the media won’t get any suspicious for finding out that it’s just Jiro’s beloved twin. She saved his a*s for the umpteenth time and Jiro is just plain clueless.

 

They drove home with Jiro starting yet another topic. “Am I infertile?” 

 

Mina knew they would come to this talk someday. “Not really, just a plain a*shole.”

 

“I wanna date.”

 

“You always do.”

 

“No, I mean, like, for real.” Jiro retaliated without getting his focus off the road.

 

“I doubt you can.” Mina mentioned emotionlessly.

 

“I don’t want to be like dad.”

 

“You already are.”

 

“Is there anything I can do about it?”

 

“Stop smelling like s*x everyday for step one.”

 

Jiro sniffed on his coat. “Nope, not today. What’s step two?”

 

“If you can stop going to nightclubs literally every night, that’s a miracle.” The guy grinned at that thought, miracle indeed. 

 

“You’re kidding me sis, alcohol is my life.” 

 

Mina pulled out a bottle of rubbing alcohol from her bag. “I never knew you were a germaphobe. You should have told me.”

 

Jiro rolled his eyes and kicked on the break. “Wow sis, funny.” It was supposed to get Mina's attention and hopefully will hit her somehow. Unfortunately, she's left untouched, not a bump. Thanks to her seatbelt.

 

He resumed his driving with Mina chuckling cutely at her own pun. “Atleast drink at home.”

 

“It isn’t fun drinking alone. I love parties.”

 

“Then don’t talk to a surgeon, go see a psychiatrist.” Mina shrugged. 

 

“You sure you can’t do an operation with my head?” Jiro teased.

 

“I’ll be glad to, let’s start off with your burning scalp once we stepped home.” Mina straightened her back against her seat and Jiro regretted making that joke.

 

“I’ll go see a psychiatrist.” That’s one point for Mina. “Anyone but not Ms. Seohyun.” Jiro added.

 

Mina chose to remain quiet. This would be a few more minutes ride before they reach home and she knew, someday, Jiro should know too. Not now but someday.

 

 

 

 

Harin is the earliest person to arrive at the dining table just in time for dinner. Subin came to the same room afterwards. It is silent with only the two of them sitting beside one another.

 

Subin’s phone rang. “The keyboardist won’t make it?” Subin is fuming. He has been working on this commercial for quite a while now. He can play that role but he needs to take care of a lot more things about the production. If only he can do things simultaneously, it won’t be a problem.

 

His older brother’s ear perked up upon the mentioning of the term “keyboard”. It was left unnoticed by Subin since he was all into his phone looking for a replacement to the role. Harin doesn’t want to make it obvious but he wanted to know what this is all about. Music has been his automatic switch.

 

“Seems like the perfect protégé has these flaws too.”

 

“Yeah, at least I’m not a failure.” The two of them have an unending war about credentials and validation.

 

“If it’s about the keyboard, you can do that.” Harin reassured.

 

“Unfortunately, I’m the director.” Subin is trying to contact a person with his phone and finally decided on triggering Harin more while the person he's dialing is not responding yet. “ that you’re interested but way too denial.”

 

Harin glared. 

 

Subin’s call started. “Yes? Mr. Kim, this is Jung Subin. Yes! I want to ask a favor.”

 

But Harin held his temper in. Subin knew. Harin was the first person who taught him how to play the keyboard. That was the first and last time they had been comfortable with one another until the media and the whole business industry barged in their family and broke that chance to get along together.

 

They may be brothers as known publicly but the relationship is far more than the title itself. Harin never felt like a brother to Subin and that goes the same for him.

 

The head maid came in the room to announce a message from their mom.

 

“Ms. Jessica cannot come home today; dinner will be served in ten minutes.” Harin smiled at the head maid and waved his hand.

 

“I’ll pass. Don’t serve my share, I already had mine.” The head maid bowed to honor Harin’s decision.

 

Just when Harin got out of the room, the twins arrived only to be welcomed by an empty dining table with a busy Subin sitting on his seat.

 

“I guess dinner today is peaceful.” Jiro shrugged and sat on his mother’s seat. “You dork. I’ll go send mom a picture.” Mina teased.

 

Meanwhile, Jessica felt her phone vibrating. There are different ringtones for each of the kids’ notifications so she knew this came from Mina. Her kids seem to be way too clingy with her lately. She excused herself to check the message.

 

Minari: Look who misses you, mom.

 

There was a picture of a Jiro, sitting on her seat at the dining table back at home with his feet raised on the table attached to the message.

 

It was the third time of the day when Jessica was able to smile genuinely. Jiae’s phone rang too and she excused herself the same way Jessica excused herself. Irene giggled with the resemblance.

 

“Is there something wrong, Ms. Irene?” Bogum asked.

 

She waved her hand no and covered her smile. “It’s just that, they are cute. Jiae radiates mom’s genes a lot.”

 

Jiae had her face in disbelief with an unconscious pout and Jessica grinned at Irene. “Do you mean I’m cute too?” Jessica made a ‘V’ shape with her hands under her chin and asked her firstborn shamelessly.

 

“Eww, mom.” Jiae just focused on reading the message she got and instantly with her face trying to display disgust. But after a few scrolls, her face lit up with a surprised reaction.

 

“Minjoo is coming home with auntie!” There goes Jiae exclaiming the big news.

 

“Eh?” Jessica and Irene reacted simultaneously. 

 

Sana and Bogum are bewildered with this peculiar family.

 

Sana cleared and the three blood-related women are then reminded that they are particularly having their dinner at a fine dining restaurant with their office clothes on.

 

All three of them immediately composed themselves back to the professional “Jungs”.

 

Bogum is half traumatized.

 

 

 

 

 

Subin scowled on his seat and whined. “AH! I’M SO DONE WITH THIS FAMILY.”

 

Mina and Jiro looked at each other and laughed. “We all are.” Jiro took the seat beside his little brother trapping him with a headlock. 

 

“Eww, you got your hair white. Do you like growing old that much?” Subin finally lets down his walls now that their mom isn’t around.

 

“It’s silver, idiot.” Jiro hit his head lightly.

 

The dinner was served to the three remaining Jungs at the dining table when Mina asked, “What happened to Harin?” 

 

Subin shrugged munching on his meal like a kid.

 

“He never got past his puberty. Still the same denial shy guy who doesn’t want to admit what he wanted to do with his life.”

 

“Doesn’t he want to own mom’s company?” Jiro munched the meat the same way Subin did and the resemblance made Mina smile. She 

captured it with her eyes and saved it to her memories forever. These would be the rarest times when they were able to bond like this. Their family is indeed a bunch of tsundere.

 

“Shut up, I’m the full-blood bro. I know we are not for business. Look at me and Irene noona, do we look like we are born to be math wizards? Siwon appa and Jessica eomma are not smart with math either. We are not miracles, okay? Do you even study genetics during highschool?”

 

One of the rarest moments would be Subin comfortably addressing the family members and their roles. Among the siblings, Subin found the two Japanese comfortable. Jiae is an exemption. He feels like Jiae is going to be savage with him with just one wrong word. He even stutters when he once tried calling her “Jiae noona”.

 

“So what do you think Harin is good at?” Mina asked curiously.

 

“Probably something related to arts? Irene noona is a fashion designer. I am an all around director/actor. Seriously, that guy should get a girlfriend to soften somehow.” Jiro laughed at Subin’s remark. 

 

“I have a vibes that he’s gay.” Mina and Subin’s face lit up.

 

“You felt it too, right?” Mina and Jiro shared an eye contact and made their signature twin hand sign.

 

“Stop it, you two. I’m getting goosebumps.” Subin crossed his arms in front of his chest.

 

“I thought you’re the blood bro.” Mina shrugged and continued, “Oh, speaking of, his birthday is coming right up.”

 

“June 3, right?” Jiro pointed his hand to Subin.

 

“Yeah, June 3.”

 

“Should we prepare a surprise for him?” Jiro initiated.

 

“What, a children’s birthday party?” Subin furrowed his brows. Mina laughed at Subin’s suggestion and Jiro followed.

 

“No, shut up. Maybe something extravagant? Something very Jung-ish. You should go do some stalking with your blood bro.” Subin is getting all creeped out with all the things Jiro is saying this night so he looked at Mina with a questioning gesture, ‘Is he crazy?’ using his own sign language.

 

Mina just laughed and said, “Nah, that’s his normal.”

 

Their dinner finished like that. It was one of the rarest moments when the three of them felt free and were able to converse without the pressure of being a Jung, the children of the one and only Jessica Jung.

 

 

 

 

It was morning in Los Angeles and Minjoo was able to get her report card. It’s time for her to return home.

 

“Minjoo sweetie, were you able to pack everything?” Krystal shouted from the other room in fluent English.

 

“Yes, coming!” She finally closed her baggage and a message notified on her phone’s screen.

 

Jiae Eonni🐘: Take care Minjoo-ah, I'll go get you by the airport tomorrow. Cleared my sched so we can have a sis date!

 

That text message instantly put a smile on the youngest Jung’s face. She’s excited to see everyone. Afterall, it has been three years since she has been home. The young lady decided to spend the whole vacation at home.

 

She texted back.

 

Gwiyeo Minjoo🐸: Go get a boyfriend so you can legit date someone.

 

Jiae Eonni🐘: 🙅🏻‍♀

 

Gwiyeo Minjoo 🐸: ㅋㅋㅋ I love you eonni!

 

This is going to be a whole new long day full with jetlags and catching up. She can’t be more excited. Krystal called her again and packed their stuff by the back of the car. The two of them bid goodbye with Grandpa Jung and Grandma Jung. 

 

Life in America has been a lot whole different than the life Minju had in Korea. She was treated like a princess back there in her home country whilst she was able to be the most reckless that she is in America. She was able to talk with her father without the surveillance of her mom in this country.

 

Speaking of, she was able to receive a message as a matter of fact.

 

Appa [TOP SECRET]: Message is locked, please enter the passcode.

 

She looked around first as if someone is going to see what she’s doing inside their car. She checked for hidden cameras and whatnots. When the coast is clear, she unlocked her phone and read her father’s message.

 

Appa [TOP SECRET]: Minjoo-yah, you are going home today, right? Your eonni messaged me about it. How about a date with dad and your eonni? It wouldn't hurt your mom if I take my girls on a date, would it?

 

She squealed and covered her face with her hand due to shock. Krystal stopped the car and checked on her niece by the backseat. “Something wrong, honey?”

 

Minjoo squealed again in response. “OMG auntie, mom agreed to let me and eonni spend the day with dad!”

 

“No kidding?” Krystal is very much close to only two of her nieces and that would be Jiae and Minjoo. She has the biggest issue with Siwon so she wasn’t really that in favor with her big sister's kids with him.

 

She knew it wasn’t any of the kids’ faults but it was during Jessica’s pregnancy with Harin when she almost ended her life. Krystal wasn’t able to do anything to help her sister and she can’t forgive Siwon for leaving her sister during her most vulnerable times. 

 

She can’t even look at Harin and Subin’s eyes.

 

Krystal stopped at a gas station where she offered Minjoo to have a break. “Sweetie, you can go get some snacks, I’ll wait here.”

 

As soon as Minjoo is out of the car, she immediately grabbed her phone to ask Jessica for a video call.

 

“Eonni!”

 

“Soojung-ah, are you already at the airport?”

 

“No, we stopped by the gas station. Your youngest kid is grabbing some food.”

 

“Great, tell me when you are already at the airport, Jiae will be driving for me.” 

 

“Really???”

 

“Yes, I know right?” It was one of the rarest moments when Jessica is smiling genuinely. If it’s about her kids, Jessica will be the most protective and softest. Krystal would be delighted to have this smiling Jessica most of the time.

 

It turns out that Jiae wanted to ask Jessica for permission to have a day with their dad. It’s true that they are already considered as adults with the freedom to make their own decisions but because they are carrying an influential name, they knew they should be careful with their each and every actions. Most of the time, Jessica will not let Jiae and Minjoo visit their dad. 

 

Jung Taekwon is a senator and Jessica has no clean record with regards to having a husband. Taekwon refused to take responsibility to all seven of her kids. It was their mistake for being careless as adults but in Jessica and Taekwon’s eyes, Jiae and Minjoo are blessings. 

 

“Eonni,” Krystal called out with a low stern voice.

 

Jessica hummed on the other line.

 

“Don’t you want to make amends with Taekwon oppa?”

 

The older woman was silent for a moment.

 

“Krystal, we talked about this.” Jessica is not pleased with what Krystal is trying to say.

 

“Come on, we’re old now. Just for the kids?”

 

“I have seven kids, Soojung. Seven. I don’t want the same thing to happen with him. I am not even into boys.”

 

“Yeah, as if that Kim Taeyeon can be a father material when she ghosted you.”

 

“Sooju-“

 

The car door clicked and came the youngest child of Jessica Jung. “Kim Taeyeon who?”

 

“Did we say Kim Taeyeon? We’re talking about Jung Taekwon, sweetie.” Krystal reasoned out.

 

“Mhmm, what about dad?” Minju raised an eyebrow. 

 

“We’re setting up everything so you don’t need to worry about the media stalking you or your quality time.” Jessica added helping Krystal to cover up their topic.

 

“Oh hey mommy! I got straight A’s!” Minjoo showed the screenshot of her report card to her mom. That instantly made her mother smile. That was a relief for the two older women since Minjoo herself changed the topic.

 

“I’m so proud of you baby, we should go and celebrate for you. You want an out of town vacay?” Jessica is already preparing to book for a ticket on her laptop.

 

“Nah-uh. Staying home is enough. Got fed up having too many roadtrips around the states.” Minju said while opening a pack of chocolate bar then took a bite.

 

“Hmm, tell mom if you wanna go somewhere. I’ll prepare everything right away.” Minjoo’s eyesmile shows up thanking both her mom and aunt for spoiling her way too much.

 

“Oh. There’s one,” Krystal was about to end the video call when Minjoo suddenly shows up on the screen again. “I’d like to do a charity event.”

 

“Eh?” Jessica wore her eyeglass and looked at her laptop again. “What about it, baby?”

 

“I haven’t planned anything yet but I’ll tell you the details when I got there. That would be a very fun time. I’d like to keep it private as possible.” She munched on her second chocolate bar and handed one to her aunt.

 

“Alright baby, I’m so proud of you for thinking about that. Mom will work on it for you, ok?” 

 

The video call ended and the two ladies resumed their trip to the airport.

 

It was time for the Jung household to sleep. The lights closed on their remarkable villa and some were already deep in their slumbers while others are deep on their thoughts. 

 

Irene always sleeps early. She had a long day with all the monthsary celebration and the surprised proposal which she still has to explain with her mom. 

 

Jiae is finishing everything up so that she could comfortably have a day off her schedules to spend time with her sister. 

 

Jiro can’t sleep. He’s overthinking while looking at the anabolic steroid he didn’t take for the day. 

 

Mina is promising another 20 minutes to play her Nintendo switch which will usually last more than the promised timespan. 

 

Harin is by his windows, singing one of the songs he composed right at the time when nobody can hear him.

 

Unknown to Harin, Subin is listening. “D*mn idiot, not closing the windows at night. Not my fault if you got robbed.” He still got nobody to serve as a substitute to the keyboardist.

 

Jessica closed her eyes, getting haunted again by her past mistakes. Their life maybe is on cloud nine with all the fortune, money, and power that their name carries but along it is a big burden of taking the responsibility for the mistakes of the adults such as her. She felt sorry. Her kids have to take the burden of their mistakes. Just because she wasn't able to realize sooner. They were all victims of time and wrong perception. They thought it was love when it isn't. 

 

Choi Siwon. Jung Taekwon. Takuya Terada.

 

Kim Taeyeon.

 

××Should I do Joohyun or Jiae's backstory first? Maybe both?××