Chapter II

My First & Last I N-CITY #6
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everything feels right since you came along
I'm thinking baby

You, yeah, are bringing out a different kind of me
There's no safety net that's underneath, I'm free
Falling all in
You fell for men who weren't how they appear (Ooh)
Trapped up on a tightrope now we're here, we're free
Falling all in

-Falling all in you, Shawn Mendes

 

“I cannot believe that you punched him.” Doyoung began and I bared my teeth at my brother. Jeno had a tissue stuffed up his bleeding nose and I huffed, throwing my braid over my shoulder.

We were the only ones in the infirmary and my leg was propped up. Jeno was silently sitting there, his gaze on the floor. I crossed my arms across my chest with my brother staring pointedly at me.

“Kim Bunny, where is the apology?” he demanded and I opened my mouth to protest.

“But he kissed me!”

“It wasn’t even your first kiss!” Doyoung shot back. “And he was trying to save you! Do you know what would have happened if you hit the wall? You would have ended up with two broken legs. TWO!”

I pouted at my brother. “It’s not my fault.”

“How is it not your fault?” Doyoung whipped up his phone and showed a video to me. “Look at this! There is a video circulating around of you… wheeling, is that the word?” He looked at Jeno who nodded. “Wheeling the wheelchair across the track field like Usain Bolt. Look at that! Jeno is running after you—”

“Dude, I’m so fast,” I murmured, tilting my head at the screen. “Brooooooooo—”

“Kim Bunny!” Doyoung’s voice hardened. “You can’t keep doing this! You’re old enough to take of yourself and I keep finding myself getting frustrated every time—”

“Hyung.” Jeno cut in, getting off the bed. “Don’t you have a meeting with the debate team?”

Doyoung looked flustered, clearing his throat and checking his watch. “I’m late.”

“You should go. It’s okay, I got it from here.” Jeno said and I kept my eyes on the ground. “I’ll bring her to class and send her back home. Don’t worry.”

“Thank you, Jeno.” Doyoung managed to say, turning to stare at me and I blinked. “Take care of her.”

And with that, Doyoung his heel and left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of days were uneventful at best and that was because I knew my brother was mad at me. This particular day, I had an exam. All the medical students were taking exams together, different subjects but at the same place and same time. I had stayed up the night before studying and I couldn’t help but yawn every two minutes. Jeno looked normal when we picked him up from Haechan’s house, the male climbing into the car with his backpack.

“Good morning,” he greeted me as per usual. I grunted back at him, typing down onto my phone when we were taken straight to the university. We saw a line of medical students stand in a line in front of the examination hall and Jeno did what he had to do—grab my wheelchair and carry me so I sat comfortably on it.

People liked to stare and I guessed they thought something was going on between the both of us but I was used to it.

Being Kim Doyoung’s sister, I was often a subject of gossip and talk.

Jeno wheeled me in, pushing me forward before greeting the examination proctor. The professor smiled at him and I realized that even the professors were fond of him. He leaned forward and I could hear him ask the professor for my examination tag and where I would be seated.

“You can put her by the door so it’s easier,” the professor said and I smiled at him. “Off you go, Jeno.”

“Yes, sir,” Jeno said, pushing me to the seat the proctor told us to go to. When we reached the seat, I instinctively lifted my hands up to in the air, Jeno staring at me. I nodded at him silently, shaking my arms in the air. “What?”

“Up, Jeno. Up.” I told him, realization flickering through his features. Jeno leaned forward, his arms circling my waist to heave me up. He grunted and I squirmed, feeling his breath against my ear. “Dude, that tickles.”

“I think you gained weight,” Jeno commented. My jaw dropped open and I reached out to punch his shoulder but Jeno told me not to move. “I might lose my balance.”

I gripped the back of his shirt and he finally lowered me down on the chair. He reached for my bag, rummaging through it like it was his before giving me my pencil case and my examination tag. He placed it in front of me and threw my bag over his shoulder.

“That’s my bag,” I told him and he lifted an eyebrow at me.

“I know,” he said back. “You might forget it. Just call the proctor when you’re done and I’ll come in and pick you up.”

“What makes you think you’ll finish before me?” I asked and Jeno shrugged.

Ugh, I hated how nonchalant he was sometimes. I saw Jeno find his own seat which was just a row down from mine. He placed my bag by his and took out a pencil and his calculator. My exam was all theory but I guessed that Jeno probably had some math elective.

I studied him, Jeno twirling the pencil around between his fingers casually when the exam papers were distributed. A bell indicated that it finally started and I propped my face in my hands, beginning to write. My mind brought up images of my notes from the night before and I wrote down the parts that I knew first.

“Yes, Kim Suzy,” the professor said and I looked up to see a girl with her hand in the air. She seemed nervous and I recognized her as the Vice of the Track and Field club. She was in the seat beside Jeno and I saw him flicker his eyes over at her. “I’m sorry I can’t help you with that. We made it clear on the items you have to bring.”

She must have forgotten her calculator.

She looked down and the professor retreated back to his seat when I saw Jeno turn towards her.

And with that, he placed his calculator on her table.

I lifted an eyebrow. What was he going to use? I saw her smile at him gratefully, reaching for the calculator and muttering a small ‘thank you’. Jeno gave her a small nod, turning back to his exam as he began to do it.

Jeno was too nice, I found myself thinking.

I focused on my paper for a while when I heard a creak of a chair moving. I looked up to see that it was Jeno, the male grabbing both my bag and his before bowing down at the professor who nodded at him adoringly. Jeno walked down the row, lifting an eyebrow at me when he saw me looking at him before pointing out the door.

I think what he meant to say was, ‘I’ll be waiting outside.’.

How was he done already? It had been barely 45 minutes. He exited the room and my pencil scratched against the paper when I finally finished. I raised my hand in the air, the professor coming over to me and asking me if I wanted to call Jeno.

For some reason, I shook my head and the professor opened up the wheelchair and I stood up, balancing myself carefully before sitting down on the wheelchair. I took my pencil case and examination tag, the professor motioning to another professor to look at the kids before he wheeled me out.

He dropped me outside and I saw Jeno raise an eyebrow when he saw me. He was leaning against the wall and he pushed himself off, making his way towards me. He bowed at the professor who retreated into the examination room.

“Why didn’t you just ask them to call me?” he asked and I grumbled.

“I didn’t think I needed you,” I said to him and he frowned.

“That’s what I’m here for,” he told me, taking the things from my lap and shoving it inside my bag. “How was your exam?”

Small talk. I wasn’t used to it but I looked up to see him looking down at me.

“It was okay,” I told him before I began to chatter. “But there was one question that was exactly like the answer booklet so I’m sure I got a total of ten points from that. There was one I didn’t study about—or maybe, I couldn’t remember. Something about the biology of four-legged animals….”

I droned on, Jeno giving out momentary hums to show that he was listening when we reached outside the building. Jeno cleared his throat, moving in front of me and before I knew it, he had grabbed my chin and tilted my head up to look at him straight in the eyes.

I blinked.

“Listen. I have to drop you off at the driver,” he said and I realized that Doyoung must have told him that for me to listen, I had to be looking at him. Doyoung would have grabbed the back of my neck but I guess Jeno was a bit gentler in nature. His finger grazed my chin. “Okay?”

Okay? I frowned. No, not okay.

“Why?”

“I have Track and Field,” he told me. But that was my club too! I made a face at him.

“But I want to go too!”

“It’s just a short meeting,” he told me and I glared at him. “What are you going to do if you go? Sit there and listen?”

“Exactly!” I told him, a hand going to fiddle with one of my braided pigtails. “It’s my club too!” I swiped his hand away from my chin and clamped my teeth of one of his fingers. Jeno’s eyes widened and I bit down a bit harder.

“Ow, Bunny. Ow—” He used another hand to grab the back of my neck and pulled. I the side of my lip, winking at him two times before grinning. “Why are you winking at me—Jesus, you crazy woman. Fine, but after the meeting, I’m sending you straight home.”

And that is how I ended up in the Track and Field meeting, Jeno summarizing the competition layout. I sat on the wheelchair, looking down at the bricks by the wheels. To make sure I didn’t pull another “fast and furious” as Jeno put it, the first thing he did was surround the wheels with bricks. I tried nudging it away but it was too heavy.

“And that is all for today. Also, can the secretary finalize the names that are going to the club outing in a week?” Suzy, the Vice President of the Track and Field asked. Jeno let her take over and I saw both of them begin to talk. I could hear a few words along the lines of “thank you for the calculator” and Jeno telling her that it was fine, asking her how the exam went.

His eye smile was enough to make her blush and I squinted at them.

Ew.

“Hello, are you going to the outing?” the secretary had asked someone behind me. I heard a yes and there was a pause. “Hello—” the secretary reached me but when he saw who I was, he bowed down apologetically before moving on.

Eh?

“Hey! Why aren’t you asking me?”

The secretary turned to look at me before his gaze moved to Jeno who was deep in conversation.

“President Jeno said you aren’t going,” he said simply and my jaw dropped. Now, who made him king of everything? I fumed, motioning the guy over. “U-Uh… I think you should just talk to him about it. I’m just writing the names—”

“Well, you tell President Jeno that I am very well going to go!” I bellowed, Jeno looking up from his conversation with Suzy. The secretary seemed scared and he took two steps back. Jeno patted Suzy’s hand that was on his arm, the male finally heading over to me.

“What’s going on?”

“I want to go to the Track and Field outing,” I told him pointedly and he shook his head. “Lee Jeno.”

“You can’t go because I’m not going,” he told me.

“My foot will heal by then! I’m already half healed—my foot is fractured not broken!” I told him, struggling to stand up on my own. “Look! I can toddle!”

“What exactly is a toddle?” Jeno asked, frowning at me and I finally stood up, shuffling my legs towards him. Jeno moved closer and I tried to show him what toddle meant.

“Look, Jeno. Look!” I snapped at him, inching closer to him when I waved my arms in the air. I toppled forward, Jeno catching me easily before he bent down to lift me up and put me back on the wheelchair.

“The only thing I see is that you can’t walk that well. Besides, I can’t go. I have things to do,” he told me simply. “I don’t think Doyoung would be okay with you going without any supervision.”

“Then you should go!” I said hotly, Jeno shaking his head. “Jeno, it’s not fair!”

“What’s not fair?”

“That I don’t get to go!”

“Well, life isn’t fair.” Jeno quipped and I glared at him. “Come, let’s take you home… Bunny! Stop kicking the bricks. Goddamnit, woman! Put that rock down!”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Goddamnit, Bunny]

“OPPA!” I yelled, moving the wheelchair into Doyoung’s study. “OPPA! DOYOUNG OPPA!”

“Bunny, I’m right here. You don’t have to yell.” Doyoung’s monotonous voice made me dig my feet on the ground to stop the wheelchair. I was getting accustomed to it and I squealed, the wheelchair coming to a stop.

“Oppa!” I said again and Doyoung looked up from the mounds of paper from his table. “I want to go.”

“Where?” Doyoung asked, raising an eyebrow.

“To the Track and Meet outing,” I said and he blinked. He had no idea what I was talking about. Jeno didn’t even ask him! “It’s an outing for my club. I want to go.”

“Okay? What did Jeno say?” he asked and I frowned. Why did he have to ask what Jeno said?

“He said…” I mumbled. “He said—”

“If Jeno says no then he must have a reason for it,” he told me, turning back to his work when I let out a wail.

“But I want to go! I will be healed by then—it’s next week! I can already toddle!” And that was the ultimate reason as to why I should be able to go, I thought. Doyoung looked confused and I pursed my lips at him, standing up. “Look, Oppa! Look—”

“Okay, okay. Sit back down.” Doyoung ordered and I fell back onto the wheelchair. “You really want to go? How many days is it?”

“It’s only one night. But they said there will be tents and it will be like camping and Oppa! What if there are bunnies around? Can I bring one back? I heard pretty birds are flying around too—Oppa! They need a vet there!” I managed to say and Doyoung sighed. “Just because Jeno cannot go doesn’t mean I can’t go!”

“Because Jeno can’t go, all the more you shouldn’t go,” Doyoung said and I pouted. “Did he say why he can’t go?”

“He said he has the stuff to do,” I told him. “Well then… Make him go!”

“It’s not that easy, Bunny. But I’ll see what I can do. For now, go back and get some rest. How was your exam?”

“Fine, but there was this one section that I couldn’t do but I don’t think I’ll lose that many marks from it,” I said to Doyoung who simply nodded. “Anyway! Oppa! You better, better, better talk to Jeno—”

“I will,” Doyoung said, dialing a phone number and I moved the wheelchair towards the door. “Close the door on the way out.”

I moved away from the door and was about to close the door behind me when I heard Doyoung speak into the phone.

“Mhmm. Jeno. Sorry to call you this late.” Doyoung was saying and I strained my ears. “Bunny was telling me how she wanted to go to some outing?”

There was a response and Doyoung hummed to himself.

“I understand, Jeno. How about I send someone to check on her instead for that one day? Bunny really wants to go and I don’t want to think of the hell she’ll give me if she doesn’t.”

Send who to check on who? I frowned at Doyoung’s words. Hell? I wouldn’t give him hell!

“Alright, Jeno. Thank you so much. Break the news to her tomorrow then, she’ll be very excited.” Doyoung said and my eyes widened and I backtracked into the room. “Bunny! I thought I told you to—”

“I’M GOING!” I screamed, hands in the air. “Oppa! I love you! I’m going!”

Doyoung heaved a sigh. “Well, turns out she already knows. See you tomorrow, Jeno.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Up!” I told Jeno, waving my arms at him and he did what he usually did. “Guess what? I’m going!”

“I know,” he said calmly. “Stop moving around. Why are you here today, anyway? You don’t have classes.”

“I want to study.”

“Where should I send you off?” he asked, glancing at my schedule before pocketing it. “I have a shift at Nana’s Café.”

I blinked, realizing that I thought that maybe Jeno could study with me. In the end, we were going for the same scholarship. We talked about it before—it was a fair game.

“Should I just study at Nana’s café then?” I asked, twirling one of my pigtails in my hand. “So, you don’t have to come and pick me up from the library. Oooh, maybe I can have another one of those caramel macchiatos! Jeno! And Jaemin can make Dalgona—”

“No coffee for you,” Jeno said simply. “You know how you get every time you drink caffeine.”

“That’s only for Robusta coffee—”

“Last time it was Arabica beans and you tried climbing the flagpole.” Jeno reminded me and I frowned. “But yes, maybe it’s best you study at the café. I don’t want another video of you circulating, accidentally burning books in the library.”

“I’m not that bad,” I told him, Jeno pushing me forward. We arrived at Nana’s café and Jaemin greeted us. “Oi, Nana.”

“Nice to see you too,” Jaemin said to me, untying the apron from his body. “I have class. Jeno, you got the café from here?”

“Yeah,” Jeno said, putting on an apron. “Don’t worry. Good luck on your quiz, Nana.”

Jaemin nodded, patting Jeno on the arm when he reached out and patted my shoulder. I waved at him, moving the wheelchair to a table at the café. I stood up and landing my on the chair. Jeno stood behind the counter and I snapped my fingers.

“Jeno! Jeno! Lee Jeno—”

“What?”

“Make tea for me,” I told him and Jeno raised an eyebrow. “You said no coffee. So, I’m ordering tea.”

Jeno didn’t say anything, looking at the menu. “I think you should drink jasmine tea,” he finally said, moving to make it when I blinked.

“But I hate jasmine tea.”

“But it’s healthy. Everything else has too much sugar,” he told me and I pouted. “How about strawberry milk tea?”

“How about just give me whatever you think is best so we’re not wasting time?” I found myself snapping and he blinked, his eyes going to the menu.

“Yeah. Jasmine tea,” he concluded, moving away and doing what he was doing. If Jeno said jasmine tea then jasmine tea it is, I grumbled to myself.

I casually took out my books and papers,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter