Ch. 6

10,000 Hours

"Hey," I jump and see Jungkook at my locker. It's our first day of school as a couple and I'm nervous, but luckily I don't have to worry about Lisa yet because she went somewhere with her family. But I have heard cameras from people's phones going off and I know that when she gets back she's going to be upset, and that's putting that mildly. "What's wrong? I told you you're sitting with me and my friends at lunch today. I was meeting you at your locker. It's lunchtime." "Right." I'm not good at being around new people. Well, they've been around since the start of high school, but I never really talked to them. Jungkook says they never really liked Lisa. But if they didn't like her how would I know that they'll like me. I guess I'm also nervous because this is like Jungkook's family. "Everything is going to be fine," he reassured me. "They both come off a little strong, Tae more than Jimin because I live with him, but I told them to be gentle." I nod and he takes my hand after I put my afternoon books in my backpack and we head to the cafeteria. I want to feel okay, that this little public display of affection means that our budding relationship is real. But I know that there is some girls that doesn't dare get on Lisa's bad side and would do anything to keep her updated. I've been terrified to go online to find out.

 

We get to the cafeteria and we sit. "I'm scared, Jungkook." He knew about what. "We have the rest of the week before we have to confront her. I'm not going to let her hurt you. Physically, mentally, or emotionally." "You can't control what a person says, Jungkook. I mean how do I know your friends aren't reporting to her?" "I told you they can't stand her, you have nothing to worry about. Look, here they come."

 

I see Jimin with his pink hair and Taehyung coming over. Jungkook went up and said something to them that I couldn't hear. "Hey." I see Jimin sit across from me. I smile. "Are you more on edge because of us or Lisa finding out?" "Both." I admit softly. "Don't worry we hate Lisa. For Tae it's going to be harder because he doesn't want Jungkook to get hurt, but he knows you're fragile. So, he'll take it easy on you."

 

"Who says I'll take it easy on her? How do I know you're not going to treat him the way Lisa is currently?" "Tae, stop." Jimin says, but Taehyung ignores him. "What makes you so ing special? How do I know that you aren't using him to gain some attention because the only friend you'll ever have has moved?" I look out the corner of my eye and see that the whole cafeteria was videoing what was going on. "True, I can't stand Lisa, but I can't stand you or anyone else who think they could take Jungkook away from me."

 

The way he sounded was as if he has feelings for his best friend, but I don't dare make that assumption, that's crossing the line. "Tae, you're scaring her," Jimin says. "And you know you'll hurt Jungkook if she... Ji-eun!" I was able to go and I didn't care about the other students or the fact that Jungkook was calling out to me. I just needed to go. I went to the girl's bathroom and I cried. I don't know why I'm doing this. All of my life I remained invisible. Why now?

 

I didn't sit next to Jungkook in our classes and I only talked to him when necessary at work. He tried calling and texting, but it got to the point where it was too much and I had to shut my phone off. I went to school the next day and I heard someone whisper. "I can't believe she ruined almost twelve years of friendship." Jungkook came up to me, but I stopped him. "I don't think we should do this. I ruin a friendship. I'm terrified of Lisa, I can't do this." "You didn't ruin it. He did. Look, I'll tell you everything, just don't leave me. Please?" 

 

I don't understand how idols and actors and actresses do it. The constant pictures and the stalking. He wipes my tears. "10,000 Hours." He whispers than continues. "Let me put it this way. I knew for years." I was confused. "Talk to me?" I nod. We had a study hall, but we were caught up and they gave us permission to use the track outside of the school. "I knew Taehyung liked me in a romantic way for years. But because I felt bad for him and I'm not a judgemental person I stayed friends with him. He became a brother to me. When I told him about how I had feelings for you when we both started high school he got angry, even though he hated Lisa even more he made sure I stayed with her. On top of the fact that I was scared to ask you out." 

 

I didn't know how to respond, but I knew he was expecting me to say something. "He's your best friend that's more important than just some girl." "You're more than just some girl. You became my best friend. My girlfriend. I can't let him dictate me anymore. He's terrified of Lisa which is why he didn't say anything when she became my girlfriend. He thinks he can just push you around. He's not going to. Jimin and I aren't going to let that happen. I'm done. Not because you ruined it. No, he did that all on his own. We're going to sit at a different table tomorrow. Sit with us?" 

 

I look up at him and I can see him begging. "Okay." I say with a smile. He smiles back. "After school I'm going to move into a private room until I can find a place. Jimin would let me stay with him, but his grandparents just moved in with him." I thought about the spare bedroom that we have that was used for when the family that doesn't cares about comes over and begs for money. "I can talk to my parents and see if you can stay in our spare room. It might make Min-Ho a little mad, but my parents like you and it might help warm you up to my brother." "Are you sure?" I smile. "Yes, but I have to tell them a little about what happened. And you'll have to fear the wrath of my brother." "My goal is to not make your brother just tolerate me, but like me." "I believe he'll come around." 

 

Everything's okay now. We smile at each other and he kisses my forehead. "Let's get ready to go. It's almost time for our next class." I take his outstretched hand and he head back towards the building. Min-Ho threw a fit when my parents agreed that he could stay after we told them what happened. (We didn't get into the true details of what happened with Jungkook and Taehyung, we just said they just grew apart as friends). 

 

We were eating dinner and everyone was talking except for Min-Ho who was drinking soju straight from the bottle. "Min-Ho, stop that right now and quit being so rude, huh?" My father takes the bottle from him and my brother stands up and yells. "Do you not read what gets posted on that blog of your school's?" He asks me. "Min-Ho, you know she doesn't pay attention why are you?" My mother asks. "Because a girl is threatening her because of him!" He points at Jungkook. "I wouldn't let anyone harm her!" Jungkook stands up and yells back. "Look I know what happened to you, and I'm sorry, but the one thing you have to try and trust me with is protecting your sister. I may not have had the guts until now, but I did always love your sister. I was scared and I chose the wrong person when I should've had the courage to ask her out. I'll never forgive myself for it."

 

Min-Ho rubs the back of his neck. "My little sister has gone through most of her life trying to just get by with no one bothering her. Selectively invisible only to when she wants to be seen. But now, she has you in her life and since she has you in her life all she has is people taking photos and spreading rumors and reporting to someone who is making death threats to kill her. And you," he points to our parents. "Don't care because you want her to fall in love and be happy. How much you want to bet that she cried, huh? At least once she's cried. But no, Dad all you care about is that she finds love, settles down and get married before she even makes it to college!" He looks at back and forth between our dad and Jungkook. "You know she has dreams? She wants to be a pediatrician in America. She wants to live abroad. Dad, you of course should know that, but it seems like you don't care." 

 

Our father pounds his fist on the table. "Of course I care? Why do you think she doesn't get her paycheck because I know she's saving for it. She already has 5, 824, 300 won which I googled is 5,000 American dollars. She's getting there!"

 

I couldn't take the fighting that much anymore. I went out the back door, grabbed the ladder and climbed onto the roof. I was there for awhile by myself just thinking. Did Jungkook really mean it when he said he loved me, or was he just trying to shut my brother up? "Yes, Ji-eun I really do love you. I have since the start of school. I wasn't just saying that." "My brother..." "He told your father that  he's trying to keep you here." I sigh. "He wants us to keep the shop up. He knows Min-Ho will always be there, but my father always dreamt of us both running the cafe. But, he always seen the way I look at children and when we go and give toys to the sick kids at the hospital during the holidays. He knew and when I was old enough to start working at the cafe he let me save my money. I know 5,000 isn't a lot, but it's getting there. I applied for a scholarship and I'm planning on getting a job when I get there. It's what I want to do. To be honest my dad has always been the hopeless romantic. He just wants to see us happily in love like he is with my mom. Not just hold him back." "I told your dad that I'm going to America with you. That made your brother upset, but your parents seemed happy."

 

I smile at him. If he's here then  there isn't a doubt in my mind now that he really wants to be with me. So, I did something shocking. I took my phone out. "Let's make our first post." I say to him. He smiles, but he was shocked. Before he could ask I say. "Yes, I'm sure I wouldn't have said it if I wasn't. I know you're going to be there for me now so I'm ready." I take the perfect selfie of Jungkook kissing the side of my head. I was stumped with the words when I finally thought of them:

 

I can't believe he's mine, dreams can come true!

 

"Both of our dreams came true." He says to me and I look at him. "I'm ready for Lisa." And I really was ready. Monday came and Jungkook and I were holding hands and talking sitting on a bench in front of the school, at this rate we just ignoring the cameras, and Lisa comes over and rips our hands apart. "You, Jeon Jungkook are mine. Not hers!" And then she points at me. "You're crossing the line. You think because you lost your only friend that you could just steal my boyfriend?" "I thought the whole boyfriend and girlfriend thing had to be a mutual decision. It seems like since the start of high school you were forcing yourself on someone who never really liked you that way." I say to her. Everyone was whispering and in shock that I had the guts to talk that way. "I think you should really watch your mouth." "I think you should leave." Jungkook says. "I loved her since I first laid eyes on her. I had to deal with you because I was too nervous to talk to her, now I can and I don't want anyone else. And speaking of only friend at least she has one. A real friend. You have none, just a bunch of girls who are terrified of you to make their own decisions so they go along with what you say. Those aren't friends so I suggest you leave my girl alone." He makes a gesture with his hand telling her to move along. "You just made the biggest mistake of your life, Jungkook." "No, I just removed the heaviest most painful weight off my back. Thanks, Lalisa." 

 

Lisa stomps off and everyone cheered and I didn't care that just in front of everyone Jungkook kissed me. "I love you." I say to him. "I love you." The bell rang just in time and we headed for class.