Ch. 5

10,000 Hours

I rush out of bed, brush my teeth and take the quickest shower of my life. I blow dry my hair and brush out the knots. I got dressed in a black turtleneck sweater, pastel pink overall dress and after putting my hair into a messy bun I put on my socks and laced up my black high top Vans. I put on some quick eyeliner and gloss I grabbed my phone slipped it in my purse and I nervously headed down the stairs. 

 

I smile and look at Jungkook. I really should hate him, but the pastel pink denim jacket with the black sweater jeans and high top Nike shoes, he looked like perfection. "Ooh, great minds think a like," my father says. Jungkook smiles, "We matched and we didn't plan it." I nod. "Ready to go?" He smiles and nods. 

 

We get outside to a white BMW. I forgot that Taehyung belonged to the Kim family that owns like a million car dealerships. I get in and noticed the picnic basket he promised. It was silent maybe it was because neither one of us knew what to say, but for me I was thinking about the texts that Sun-Hee read to me. "So, I practiced the song." "So, sing it." "Not yet, when we get to the place." I smile. Maybe this won't be so bad.

 

I began to get nervous as we started towards the outskirts of Seoul. Jungkook took my hand where I instantly felt sparks. "Don't worry I'm not going to murder you." I smile and he didn't let go of my hand and I was surprised to see that I was squeezing a little bit harder." 

 

It took two hours to get to where we were going. I look and see this cabin and he pulls up in front of it and parks the car. I was confused. "This is my grandparent's place. Well, it was. Come on." I get out with him as he lifts the welcome mat up and pulls out a key. He opens the door and it was like a little cottage more so than a cabin. There was only one floor and everything was very... American country western. There was a tribal print rug in front of a gas fireplace, above the fireplace was a mounted head of a deer with huge antlers and below it were two rifles in an 'x' underneath it. "Trust me, those are just for decoration," Jungkook says to me. "My grandfather never went hunting a day in his life. Apart from being in the military, but that's not hunting." 

 

There was no television but I think it's romantic how the sofa with a tribal print blanket folded over the back was placed right in front of the fireplace. "My grandparents always liked coming up here during the late fall and early winters because they loved the fireplace. The home they spend the warmer months in doesn't have one, so my grandfather with the help of my father built this place because my grandmother always wanted one. Take a seat I'll go get the stuff."

 

I took a seat cautiously. At first it felt like it was intruding, but really it wasn't. It's a connection to him and his family. Something that he trusts me with. He comes in with a laptop bag on his one shoulder, a bag that carried a guitar on the other and the picnic basket. "Do you need help?" I ask standing up and walking towards him. He didn't answer so I gently took the basket while he set the other stuff down. "You didn't have to do that." "You were struggling a bit." I say with a smile. "I guess I was. Thank you." I didn't know where he wanted the basket so I sat it down on the floor by the couch. "Grab the blanket and we can sit on it." 

 

I grab the blanket and I unfolded it and we sat on it. He leaned the guitar against the couch and we sat. "My family were killed. The driver was drunk, but he was full of anger towards my father. Do you know the story of the Daebok building fire?" I nod that was the biggest fire in Seoul since I've been alive. "That was my father's building. Park Dan-te was the guy who happily admitted that he started the fire. He was mad that he got caught. He was looking at despicable and disgusting things that involved children. He was mad because my father fired him. He said," he paused he was trying not to cry. "You don't have to finish." I say to him. He shakes his head. "No, I started I need to finish. He said that since he got fired the building will go up in flames. He made sure it was the night my parents were working late and that they were in the building. My grandparents went to go give them food, none of them were able to get out.

 

"My grandparents left me this place in their will. They always said they wanted me to share this place someone I know is going to be special." He takes his guitar and places it on his lap. He strums the chords and he began to sing 10,000 Hours. I smile as he sang, to me Jeon Jungkook was already perfect, but his singing voice took it to a whole other level. I wipe a tear that fell down my cheek and Jungkook was smiling even wider. "That song was for you," he says putting the guitar down. He looks around. "And this place will be ours." I smile. "So, Sun-Hee was right." I mutter. "What was that?" He asks.

 

I tell him about how my best friend had a knack for hacking into people's stuff and I told him about what she read to me. "Well, she is right. I fell for you the first year of high school. But I didn't want to scare you off especially since you had the reputation of just keeping to yourself. There was one time I was going to talk to you, but I had lost a bet with Jimin and I had to take Lisa out on a date. I wanted you, but every time I tried to break up with Lisa she wouldn't take no for an answer and she would post all these lies about me on the school blog. I just dated her. But, I'm not scared anymore. I want to be your boyfriend, Ji-eun. If you let me."

 

I suddenly realized that I need to stop hiding. I need to just as Sun-Hee says grow a pair. "I've liked you for that long, too." I say to him. The way my skin tingles under his touch as he cups my face, I want him to touch me all the time. "I didn't bring you up here for you to think I'm taking advantage of you, but I do really want to kiss you." "So kiss me." 

 

It was just a soft brush across the lips at first, which was torture cause I wanted more, I've dreamt of this for a long time. He kisses me a little deeper and I swear for it being my first kiss I don't want any other. We went a little deeper and I put my hands on his chest. It went like this for a while until we both needed to breathe. "That was my first kiss." I tell him sheepishly. "To me," Jungkook explains as he holds my hands. "A first kiss means you plan on doing it again with someone else. To me what you called your first kiss is your only kiss because I'm going to make sure I'm the only person you will kiss. For the rest of your life. I wish I could've been that way for you, but you know how Lisa likes to put on a show." I nod. 

 

He knew my face. "Hey, don't worry about her. I'll take care of her. And I won't let her hurt you." I felt sad. "I just don't want to be trouble for anyone. That isn't who I am." "You won't be. I promise you that. I'm going to stick up for you. The double date the other night and you leaving gave me the courage to go after you. To beg you to give me a chance." I grab his hand. "I'll give you a chance." He kisses my forehead. "We'll get through the hardest part together." I nod but Jungkook could tell that I was being hesitant. "What's wrong?" "I'm going to wake up tomorrow and everything is going to go back to the way it was." He smiles. "I can call you tonight and we talk all night. All the way until I come and get you for work." I groan. "I really hate that job. I love my family, but did we have to put live sheep in the restaurant in order to get customers?" "Yeah, the one kept trying to bite me until I bribed him with a carrot." "Yeah, he's like that with everyone except Hoseok he just hates him. Both of them do." 

 

We were silent for a moment, but I found myself resting my head on his shoulder and tracing patterns on the back of his hand. "Does it bother you that I started working there?" He asks. "It did at first because I thought it would be awkward being around someone who didn't like me back." "But I took the job so I can be close to you. I felt so bad about what happened in front of the school. I looked for you everywhere. Then I ran into your father who was panicking about you being missing and how the cafe was packed so I told him I'd fill in for you. I didn't think he'd hire me on the spot." "It would disappoint me and my father if you didn't show up for work."

 

I sigh as I continued. "You would think it's my mom that was the hopeless romantic in the family, but it's my dad. It's embarrassing to say, but at first he wanted me with Hoseok, but then he saw you and he was determined that we were destined to be together." I covered my face because I couldn't believe that I just admitted that to him. He gently takes my wrists making me uncover my face. "Don't be embarrassed because he's not wrong we are destined to be together. We were just too scared. Until now." I smile. "But what about Monday?" "We're still going to be together. I told you that I'm not going to hide you and you have to be prepared because I will post us publicly on the blog. I want everyone to know that the girl of my dreams has always been you." "But Lisa---" "Is a mean girl who tries to put on a show to make friends, but she doesn't have one." "But I've seen Jimin and Taehyung laughing and talking with her." "Because I was with her and they were being nice. Though they were always frustrated that I wouldn't just come out and tell you how I felt." "Now you did." "And I'm happy. For once since the fire I'm happy." I kiss him which still feels like a dream.

 

My stomach grumbles and he laughs. "It's a good thing I have food and a laptop to watch Netflix on." He says. "I'm moving after graduation." I put a hand over my face. Why did I just blurt that out now? He smiles. "Where are you moving to?" "America. I want to be a pediatrician, but I want to do it in America. I love my family and they know that I've dreamed of going there. I just don't want to start something and---" "Hey," he touches my nose. "Hey, I can open my music store in America. Where are you going to school?" "NYU Langone Health. I want to go to NYU anyways so I might as well do my doctor's degree there, too." "I want to study music and become a music therapist and own a music store and be able to teach lessons. I can do lessons on the weekends." "You have it all planned out." "So do you." "So you'd move with me?" "Wherever you go I'll be there."

 

I smile, I wanted to kiss him but I was too nervous to do it. He could tell what I wanted and he tilts my chin up and he kisses me. "I could do that all day." He tells me. "Me, too." Majority of the day was us feeding each other, kissing, cuddling and a whole bunch of pictures and selfies. "Crap, it takes forever to get back and it's 7:30 we have work tomorrow." I pout because I didn't want this dream to end, but that's all it is but a dream.

 

We listen to our song and hold hands as he drove. "It's not a dream, Ji-eun. I promise I'll talk to you until you fall asleep tonight." I smile, he read my mind. "Okay." He lifts the back of my hand to his lips and kisses it. "My beautiful girl." I blush. I never thought that this would happen, but as I get home and talk to my eager parents and annoyed brother (my father over the moon when he found out I had my first kiss today well, only kiss as Jungkook says) and I spend all night talking to Jungkook on the phone and at work I realized this is real.