Ch. 4

10,000 Hours

I cautiously walk downstairs and he was here. I could tell cause Min-Ho was giving him dirty looks. I smile. "Uh, hello." Jungkook smiles. I was shocked. I smile at my parents. "We're going to go. Jungkook?" He bows to my parents and brother and we leave.

 

The first thing I ask was, "How Did you know where I live?" "Easy the student directory." "I didn't know you were serious." "I like you, Ji-eun. I like you a lot so of course I was serious." "But you live with Lisa." "She just says that because she tries to claim territory. I've never lived with her. She video chats with me every day. What are you doing after school?" "Homework in between my shift for work." "What about this weekend? I still want to take you somewhere." "My parents really like you so I guess you taking me somewhere won't be a problem." "Well, what's up with your brother?" 

 

The bus was nearing and I tell him the story as we walk on and sit all the way to the back. "That's sad, but he can't control you." I shrug. "I know and my parents know, but he just don't want me in the same fate as him." "Can I play you a song?" I smile, my corny little dream is coming true. "Sure." He gives me one of his AirPods and I put it in my ear. I knew this song. "I love this song!" I tell him. It was 10,000 Hours by Dan and Shay featuring Justin Bieber. "I want to learn it and sing it to my dream girl." I smile. "You're sweet, but from the music I hear Lisa blasts through her phone during class I doubt this would be her thing." He laughs humorlessly. "I don't understand why everyone thinks she's my dream girl." "You've guys has been together since the start of high school." "That's because the girl I really liked didn't even notice me. If she did she did a great job showing the vibe that she didn't like me."

 

I begin to wonder who his dream girl is. "Well, I could try to help you, but I don't know anything about relationships as I never been in one." "Just come Saturday, okay? Taehyung's mom will let me borrow the car. I'll make a picnic and everything." I smile. "Okay." We listened to more music and before we knew it we were getting off the bus to go to school. 

 

Of course when we got off Lisa had to make a big ordeal about it. "Kooky, how could you ditch me on Saturday?" Everyone had their phones out and recording. I wanted to leave, but I felt Lisa with her pointy nails pull me back. "Is it because of her? Is it? Because she's not even pretty. I find it funny that as soon as she left our double date you left right after." Everyone was whispering amongst themselves. "I didn't see you come after me." Jungkook snaps back. "In fact if I remember correctly when I did come back in you had your tongue down her date's throat!" Everyone was laughing. Lisa tossed me to the ground. "Who are you going to believe him," she points her black pointy nail at Jungkook. "Or me? I'll make a poll and you can vote." 

 

I usually never did this, but I'm not the type to cause trouble so I had to get out of there. I ran away from the school and caught a cab. I had them take me to this park my brother and I used to go to all the time. It wasn't the park per se but the mountain in the woods that were behind the park. I paid the driver and I walked to the park and up the hill. When I got to the spot I sat underneath a tree and I cried. I went up until now without any problems. Now I meet Jungkook and everyone wants to come after me. Mostly Lisa.

 

*****

 

"Ji-eun," I felt someone shake me. "Ji-eun, wake up it's almost 8:00." I groan and I wake up to see my brother. I also look around and see that it was dark outside. I slept the whole day?! I stand straight up. "Min-Ho, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry I didn't mean to do what I did!" "No one is upset with you. Everyone knows you wouldn't just skip school. Did you check your phone, people has been blowing you up." I checked my phone which had 20% battery left and saw that he was right. Him, my parents, somehow Sun-Hee found out. But the one I got the most texts and missed calls from was Jungkook. I text Sun-Hee and tell her that I'm alive and that I'll call her when I get home. I just deleted Jungkook's messages altogether, I didn't have anything to say to him.

 

When I got home my parents attacked me. "What happened? Are you all right?" My mother asked. "Yeah, everyone was so worried." My father says. "Even Jungkook came over to see if you were home. He even helped by taking over your shift. He was so good that we hired him on the spot." I groan. "Why would you do that, Dad he's the last person I want to see. Ever since I met him I've been nothing but trouble." "He really likes you. He called you a lot. When he came over he said that you two are going out on Saturday." I shake my head. "I'm not going with him. It was his girlfriend that tossed me on the ground and caused me to run away from school. I hate him, Daddy." "Well, as punishment you're going out with him Saturday and you're going to look your best and have a great time. Got it?" I sigh and nod.

 

"He clearly likes you." Sun-Hee says when I tell her what happened. "All those missed calls, the song, the girl he likes. It's you!" "How would you know the girl is me?" "'I don't know what to do Jimin I've liked Ji-eun since the beginning of high school I should have told her how I felt ages ago and now all I've done is hurt her.'" "Sun-Hee, quit hacking into people's phones." "I'm just telling you. Of course you need to act like you don't know that, but give him a chance." "He's probably not going to show up on Saturday either out of embarrassment or guilt."

 

But my father violently woke me up Saturday morning and says with a smile. "He's here, he's here!"