Ch. 3

10,000 Hours

I can't believe I was doing this. As I put on my Tiffany blue short sleeve lace dress and sigh. I'm not prepared for this. I had pulled up my hair in a half updo with loose curls and makeup which I hardly ever wear is natural. I slip my feet into white flats and I take a deep breath. "You look like a six year old," Sun-Hee says when she saw my outfit. "Well, you should know by now that hot isn't my thing. I don't want to be doing this." "Well, you can't back out now. To be honest I can only imagine what Lisa is going to be wearing. Where are you going?" "The Griffin Bar. It's one of the many places Lisa's family owns. At least it's free." "You can do this." I feel like I'm going to barf, I can't handle fancy food." "You'll be fine. Hoseok eats like a pig whatever you can't eat he'll finish. He's like a baby bird." 

 

I was about to say something when my father comes bursting through the door. "Ji-hoon, how do you know if she was in her underwear or not?" "Listen," my father says to me completely ignoring my mother. "Are you sure Hoseok is the one you want to be with, because I'm telling you the other boy was perfect for you." "Dad," I say with a sigh. "I'm going on a double date with him and his girlfriend." "It's not like they're engaged to be married. Get to know him. Win him over, huh?" 

 

"She shouldn't be winning no guy over," I hear Min-Ho say, coming to my bedroom door. "And why is Hoseok in a suit? Are you dating him, Ji-eun? Huh, are you?" "Will you shut up, Min-Ho," my father says hitting him. "When I drop dead you make the rules. Until then my daughter will and can date."

 

"Mother, Father, I'm here!" Hoseok calls out. I want to die. "Listen to me," my father says. "Get as close to the other boy as possible. If his girlfriend is mean than show her that nice girls always win. You're the nicest girl I know. Next to your grandmother and mother." "You better say me!" My mother scolds. "He's not going to go for me." "He will. What's the boy's name?" "Jeon Jungkook." I tell him. "He come from a good family?" I shrug. "No one knows that unless they're his closest friend or his girlfriend." I say that mainly because his six feet under comment still stuck in the back of my head. "Well, get to know him, huh? Because I don't really want Hoseok for another son." "There will be no other son!" My brother exclaims. "She is not getting married and I forbid this date!" "Oh, Min-Ho shut up!" My mother says. "Go on get out, get out. That means you, too, Ji-hoon."

 

My father muttered curse words under his breath, but left the room. I sigh one last time. "Good luck." Sun-Hee says to me. "I feel like I'm going to puke." "Just let me know how it goes." "I will." I hung up and head downstairs. I got downstairs and Hoseok was in a black suit with gold stripes on it. And they weren't like pinstripes they were thick vertical gold stripes. "You look beautiful, Ji-eun." I smile. "You look great, too, Hoseok." "Thanks, I had bought it ages ago waiting for this day to come." I'm starting to feel even more guilty. "Well," I say with a smile. "It's come, let's go. Bye!" I call out. "Remember what I told you!" My father calls out the same time my brother calls out for me not to do it. But I leave.

 

The restaurant was glamorous and there was a long wait to get in as if this was the newest night club. We didn't know what to do so we stand there in the line that wrapped itself all the way around the building. "You really do look beautiful." Hoseok says for the I think it was the eighth time so far. It was starting to get a bit annoying. "Thank you." I didn't have their number so I checked the school blog app and Jungkook messaged me there. 


We're out front.


"They're at the front." I tell him. Getting angry looks from people as we were cutting we made it to where they were. I gasped. Jungkook looked even more perfect when he wasn't wearing our school uniform. I mean I've seen pictures, but he looked perfect in his blue silk button up that wasn't tucked into his black skinny jeans and the black high top sneakers looked perfect. He smiles at me and my heart skips a beat. "How cute, you look like a doll I used to play with when I was little." Lisa says. I could tell she was being sarcastic. "You look really nice." I say to her. She really didn't. Black Dr. Marten's with a velvet red mini dress that barely covers her isn't something I would wear to a place like this, but I guess it doesn't matter if her family owns the place.

 

We go inside and everyone greeted us and they sent us to a more private table. I was sitting across from Jungkook which made my stomach go into knots. "What's your name?" Lisa asks Hoseok. "Hoseok." "I like your suit. I tried to get Jungkook to wear one, but he doesn't listen. I mean I pick his clothes out for him every day and he only listens to my outfit choices half of the time." I don't know why I was asked but I did. "How do you pick out his outfits every day?" Lisa smiles and puts her arms around him. "He lives with me." I almost spit out my water. What is his story? And he couldn't have lived with Taehyung or Jimin? "Oh. Do you know where the restrooms are?" I ask her. "Towards the front to the left there's a sign that says 'restroom' if you can read." She says to me.

 

I excuse myself and go to the restroom. I don't know why, but I cry. He isn't mine, and since he's living with Lisa he won't ever be. I know I'm a coward and I know what I'm going to do next is wrong, but I have to leave. I'll make it up to Hoseok some other time. I have enough money to get a cab and I'll have to since there's hardly any buses that come out this way.

 

I leave the restaurant and I walk to the corner to go across the street. I was about to cross when someone called my name causing people to stare. It was Jungkook and he was running towards me. "Can we talk?" He asks. I shake my head. "I don't think that's a good idea." "Look, I'm an honest person and I'm going to be honest now. The only reason I agreed tonight was to see you. And you look beautiful."

 

I didn't know what to say. I could tell in his eyes he was being serious with his words. "Can we go somewhere? I have someplace to show you. Lisa doesn't even know about it." "How does she not know about it and you two live together?" I ask. "I don't know why she said that. Look I'll explain everything, but can we go somewhere else?" I want to, but I can't. "I just want to go home." "Can I at least get your number?" I ask for his phone and I put it in. "I'll text you." He promises. I nod. "Tell Hoseok I'm sorry." 

 

I hailed a cab and I got in. I went home and everyone was shocked, except for Min-Ho who was happy I came home early. "What happened?" My mother asks. "I just couldn't handle it." "Was Jungkook mean to you, cause if he is I'll get my gun." "What gun? You don't even own a gun!" My mother yells. When it comes to my father she only has one sort of volume and that's loud. "No, I just want to go to my room please?" They nod. "Baby sister, remember all guys are scum." I didn't respond and went to my room.


I got out of the dress and shoes put on my robe and went to take a shower. A very, very hot shower. I would've stayed in longer if my mother was banging on the door yelling that I'm using all of the hot water. I got out and put my robe on and got out of the bathroom. "What's wrong?" I shake my head. "I'm going to sleep." 

 

I changed into my PJ's and I was about to charge my phone when I heard my phone chime. I gasp.

 

Hey it's Jungkook I'll meet you outside your house on Monday and we'll ride the bus together.

 

I didn't know how to respond, so I didn't. Mainly because I don't believe it. When I was getting ready Monday morning my father came in happy. "You did it, my daughter!" He comes over and hugs me giving me a wet kiss on the cheek. I wipe my cheek. "Jungkook he's here to go to school with you!"