Ch. 1

10,000 Hours

Every day since I was little I always dreamt about being one of the lucky girls on the bus who got to cuddle with her boyfriend and share earbuds listening to the same music. But it's hard when no one finds you attractive and the only friend you have is Sun-Hee. Now don't get me wrong I love her it's just I want a boyfriend. Now I've learned to accept that it won't happen, but when I was younger I cried myself to sleep over it.


"You're staring again." Sun-Hee says. "I know, but I just don't understand why that can't be me. Am I ugly?" I ask her. I ask her this a lot and I know what the answer is going to be, but I need reassurance. "No, Lee Ji-eun you're not ugly. Guys are just jerks." We went to a final stop before we reached school. 


I gasped. Now there was one guy I could stare at all day and that was Jeon Jungkook. He was perfect in every way. I seen that he had his earbuds in and it made me wonder who he was listening to. I knew from the forbidden searches on the school computers that we liked the same artists. Local and American. From Ariana Grande to Justin Bieber to Lauve to K-pop. Just to name a few. With all the commotion and the talking on the bus I couldn't hear who he was listening to today. He usually has it blasting.


Sun-Hee kicked me. "Quit staring he's staring back." She grumbles. I felt my face heat up and I took my AirPod out of her ear and placed with mine. Halsey was playing through my ears. The bus finally stopped at the bus stop across the street from the school and we got off.


Now the one thing that about the person you have feelings for is that they're usually taken; and that's the case with Jungkook. He's taken, by Lalisa Manoban. Lisa everyone calls her. Jungkook smiles at her and she smiles back and kisses him. I sigh and head into the school. "Hey," Sun-Hee says. "You'll never know. He might see you as the real girl of his dreams." "This is real life, Sun-Hee and in real life girls like me don't get guys like him. Let's go."

 

We head to our lockers and grab the stuff we need for our classes. We were heading to our first period when I bumped into someone. My stuff dropped out of my hands and I could feel my face burn. "I'm sorry. Are you all right?" I knew that voice. I quickly picked up my things and I bow to him. "I'm sorry. I'll pay more attention." "You better be sorry, you clumsy ." It was Lisa. "Come on, Ji-eun let's go. Don't listen to her. And ignore the stares." The whole school was looking. I wanted to cry. Well, die is more like it. But as me and Sun-Hee went to class I heard Jungkook say. "Lalisa, why'd you have to call her that. It was an accident." I couldn't make out her response as we already made it to our classroom.

 

I was hoping to avoid people for the rest of the day. Just remained me and Sun-Hee, but it was impossible. As we went to work at my family's cafe called Thanks Nature. To attract customers we literally have two sheep that live inside the cafe. Sun-Hee and I walk in and my parents are already rushing us to work. "Sun-Hee, take care of the sheep I want Ji-eun working out front."


I put my hair up in a ponytail and tie the apron around my waist. I go to the tables and do my job. I was putting in the next order when my mom told me there was someone here to see me and to take their table. I was confused. Who would want to see me? I walk over and I gasp. How did Jungkook know where I worked. Better question how did he know who I was?


I walk over towards the table and I bow. "Hello, welcome to Thanks Nature Cafe what can I get for you?" "Is there any chance you can take a break for a moment?" I look around. Sun-Hee finally came back from caring for the sheep and was doing tables while I could hear my mother cursing at my father and elder brother who I have yet to greet since coming here. I see that once again Hoseok was thirty minutes late. If we weren't so under staffed my parents would've fired him ages ago. "Uh, one moment please." 

 

I walk up to Hoseok. "My parents are going to kill you one of these days." I scold him. He tosses me his leather jacket and winks at me. "You're so cute when you're trying to scold me." He goes to a different high school, but he's the only one whoever liked me. My parents says that even though he's late, he doesn't take anything too seriously and he's very irresponsible I should give him a chance. They think I could mold him into a better person. But those reasons are the reasons why I won't go out with him. I don't want to date a guy that I have to be a third parent to. 


I toss him his jacket back and he frowns. "I have to talk to someone go and put your stuff away and get your apron on and quit being a jerk and work the tables. People has been feeding Sang and Jung and soon they'll need to go out and poop again. Do tables before---" "Jung Hoseok!" That was my dad. Hoseok is terrified of my dad. "I'll be right there, sir!" He takes his jacket and runs to the back.

 

I go back to Jungkook and I don't look at him. I just look down at the ground. "We can step outside for a moment." I looked up at him at the corner of his eye and I see him smile. He has such a beautiful smile. We step outside and I take a deep, shaky breath before being able to look at him. "I should've been more careful---" I say, but he cuts me off. "Look, Ji-eun about Lisa. I'm sorry. She gets very possessive over me. Everyone expects us to be together forever, but I know that isn't what I want." 


I don't know what shocked me more, the fact that he knew my name or this piece of information he's sharing with me. "I don't understand why you're telling me this." "I know you have your friend, but how about sitting with me tomorrow on the bus?" I was shocked. It's my dream. It takes twenty minutes to get from his stop to school and then back. But I don't want to cause anymore problems with Lisa. I'm not that kind of girl. Which it pains me to say it. "I don't know. I want to, but I don't want any more problems with Lisa. I also don't want to be kept secret like you're embarrassed to be around me." 


The door swung open and Sun-Hee called my name. "Min-Ho is arguing over you with Hoseok again." My brother hates the idea of me and Hoseok ever happening. Then again my brother hates the idea of me dating anyone. He's worse than my parents. My parents wants us to find love. Min-Ho did find it, but she cheated on him with his best friend. They were together what would've been ten years this past July. Every night he stares at the engagement ring and cries himself to sleep. He swore off love and is trying to convince me to do the same. But I don't think I can, being a hopeless romantic is in my nature. 


I bow to Jungkook. "I'll see you at school." Sun-Hee looks at Jungkook unsure of what was going on. "What happened between you and Jungkook?" I shake my head. "I'll tell you later. Let me deal with these two idiots."


I walked in and everyone was staring and wondering what was going on. I bow immediately and apologize to the customers and told them everything will be okay. I head into the back and I grab a mixing bowl and a spoon and I bang the two together which caused everyone to be quiet. "Quit it. I'm not the last toy at the toy store you two want so badly. I'm a person." "I'm trying to make him see that I'm perfect for you." Hoseok says. "You are not!" Min-Ho yells back. "You're a deadbeat person who fails in school and in life. You can't even come to work on time. Why would I agree with my parents to let you date my baby sister?"

 

I couldn't take it anymore. "Guys, please. Min-Ho, you can't control who I go out with." Hoseok smiles. "And, Hoseok me and you could never be. I told you I'm not going to date a guy that I have to be somewhat like a parent to. You're sweet, but you need to seriously get your priorities straight." I look at my parents. "Mom, Dad, can me and Sun-Hee leave early. There's something I want to talk to her about." My parents look at each other. "Does it have something to do with that boy that came by earlier?" My mother asks. "Boy?" My father was somewhat excited. "Someone finally likes my Ji-eun?" I shake my head. "Trust me, Dad he's out of my league. Now can I go?" 


They nod and Sun-Hee and I took our aprons off. I was about to leave when my father grabbed my hand. "My daughter, there is no guy that is out of your league. If anything you're out of their league. That boy your mother talked about that was here, is he someone that you like?" I nod. "I've liked him for a long time." "Then that's fate. You two will be together forever." "But, Daddy he already belongs to someone else. And she's a mean person." "He came here obviously for a reason. Give him a chance, huh?" "I need to go, Dad."

 

I leave with Sun-Hee and we take a walk. "What is going on?" I take her to the little seating area two blocks down from the cafe. When we sat down I told her everything. She hits me. "Ow!" "How could you be so stupid, he obviously wants to get close to you. You've been wanting that since the very first day of school. Why turn him away?" "Has it ever occured that I don't want to be Lisa's target? Or how about the fact he may just be saying that because he felt bad that I humiliated myself and it's just pity?" She didn't say anything for a while.

 

"You're going to need someone to talk to on the bus." I was confused. "What do you mean? I have you." She looks at me sadly. "You know that job my dad was hoping for? Well, he got the job and we're moving to Hong Kong. Next month."