Chapter 6 - For Keeps

Not Without You

IRENE'S POV

 

After class, Wendy and I decided to take a stroll since we figured we'll be too busy when we are to start training. Fortunately, we didn't have to go through another audition. We both passed and advanced, so we'll be training by next week.

 

We stopped by a bookstore while walking around, and as usual, I dashed to the journal section to take a look.

 

I can't explain why, but I am obsessed with buying stuff like these even though I know I won't be able to make use of them productively.

 

I moved at the slowest pace possible, grazing each book on the shelves when a velvet-colored journal on the corner caught my attention. It had a plain sailing design that made it so attractive; I couldn't take my eyes away from it.

 

"Hey Wendy, check this out!" I called as I grabbed the book.

 

"What?" she asks, seemingly uninterested.

 

"Don't you find this design attractive?"

 

"Looks fine to me. You should buy that one. I know you want it for yourself."

 

Oh yes I do. I really want to buy it. Though, I think it would be a waste. I still have at least a stack of journals at home.

 

"Nah, never mind," I answered.

 

Wendy looked at me and gave me a confused look as if it was odd of me to leave it.

 

"You know I have so many of these. And besides... we'd be busy starting next week. I might not get to use it anyways."

 

"You're too into this trainee thing, don't you think?"

 

"Let's leave for now. We can come back next time." I answered, walking towards the exit to lead the way so I won't get tempted to buy the journal anyway.

 

"I wonder how busy we'd be during training. What if we don't get to do what we want at all? Don't you think it would be too hard for us to—" I stopped talking after I realized nobody was behind me. "Wendy?"

 

Where'd she go this time?

 

"Sorry, I saw something interesting inside. Let's go. The bus is arriving soon."

 

--

I arrived home and was about to do homework when I saw a familiar book in my bag.

 

It's the journal from earlier! What the heck is this doing in here?!

 

 

 

Wendy's POV

 

I was doing homework when my phone rang.

I guess she saw it.

 

"Hey! WENDY! PLEEEASE, tell me I didn't do that!"

 

"Do what?"

 

"SHOPLIFTING!"

 

I laughed hard, knowing what she was talking about. It was the journal I put inside her bag while she slept on the bus earlier. She must have been startled, but my day won't be complete if I didn't .

 

"Shoplift what?" I pretended.

 

"Don't tell me I unconsciously put this journal in my bag from the bookstore! Waaah! I must be out of my mind! Why did I do that?! What if I come out to the public as a thief?! AHHHH! My debut—"

 

"Okay, stop!" I interrupted. "I did that, alright? I was the one who dropped it in your bag." I uttered proudly.

 

"WHAT?! Why would you do that!?"

 

OH GOD, this person...

 

"What do you take me for?! Of course, I paid for that dummy!"

 

After hearing my response, she remained silent for a while.

 

"Oh"

 

"OH?! Come here and let me grab you by the hair, you ungrateful woman!" I said in disbelief, but she laughed and hung up on me.

 

"She just hung up?!" I kept grumbling out of disappointment for a while.

 

Not too long after, I heard a knocking from outside. The door opened; It was Irene.

 

She entered in a rush and gave me a warm embrace.

 

Dear she could be better at teasing sometimes.

 

"Thank you." She mumbled. "Why though? I told you I might not be able to use it."

 

Is she really clueless? Sure we'd be busy pretty much soon, but she can't just lose her hobbies over the pursuit of her dreams. I know how much she loves keeping journals around. It's like the only hobby she enjoys as of now. I can't let her ignore that one as well.

 

"Just keep it," I answered, tightening the embrace to draw out my time with her.