Chapter four.

The Beginning Of An End
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter four. "Dinner’s served.” Jessica's mother poked her head into the living room to call her daughter, son-in-law and their twins to the table. Though, Thanksgiving is a little different in Korea, the Jung family always celebrate theirs like a true American family would do. The twins so excited seeing their mother, grabbed her hand and dragged her to the table, leaving their father all alone. The table was laden with turkey and all the other fixings for Thanksgiving and everything smelled delicious. “This looks amazing.” Tyler said to his wife, who smiled and nodded in agreement. She always knew her mother was the cook there is. “I hope it’s all as good as it looks.” Jin Hee joked, grinning at her grandmother, this girl can act like a grown up and feel nothing about it. “I’m sure it’s perfect.” Tyler said as he leaned over to kiss his mother in law on the forehead, "Thank you for inviting us, mother." He said and picked up the turkey platter to serve himself before passing it across the table to his wife. Jessica accepted it and served herself before passing it on to the twins. The table fell to silence as they passed around the food and filled their plates. Once everyone was served, Mrs Jung nodded her head with a smile. “Okay, Let's dig in.” "Yes, grandma. Thank you." Ji Hee bowed politely at her, while Jin Hee tucked into her food with a gusto that everyone was well used to and their grandmother shook her head in amusement It took a while for Jessica put a bite of turkey in and Tyler noticed that, so he spoke just as she started to chew. "Is there something bothering you, honey?" Tyler asked his wife. Jessica had to wait that awkward moment as she finished chewing before she could answer. "No. Why would you think that? I'm fine." "You've been so distant, are you day dreaming in the middle of a family Thanksgiving dinner?" Mrs Jung raised her head and glanced at her daughter. "Yes, Jessica, what's up with you?" She asked concerned, "I've noticed something's off about you tonight and you look lean and pale sweetie, you spend so much energy taking care of others that you often forget to take care of yourself.” "I'm..." Jessica picked a glass of water and downed it all in a go. "There's nothing wrong with me, believe me mom." She said with an assuring smile, but continued to push her food around on her plate. Tyler heard her but he didn't believe her. Jessica must be hiding something and that's a fact, but does he care enough to pry further? Definitely no. "And where's your ring?" He asked casually, not truly hurt that she might have lost it, but worried because of it's value. Jessica looked at her hand and gulped. "Oh, that, I, uh, I uh, left it at the gym today. I already called and they've locked it in their safe." Tyler eyed his wife a little suspiciously. "Well they better, honey, because that thing is worth a fortune." "Oh I know." Jessica smiled tightly. Money has always been what he cared about, nothing is new to her now. "More, uh, turkey, Tyler?" Jessica's mother offered to ease the tense air around her children. "No thank you." Tyler looked up with a bright smile. And the table went silent once again as everyone eat quietly. It seemed like no time at all had passed when Tyler finally stood up. “I guess we’d better get going.” Mrs Jung sighed. “Alright. I’m glad you both came.” Jessica hugged her mother and then Mrs Jung turned to offer Tyler a hug. “Again thank you for inviting us, mother and for the food, it was so great especially the dessert, it was dope." He said giving her a thumb up. "You are welcome dear and I'm glad you liked the food." Mrs Jung smiled at him. "Aren't the kids going back with us?" Tyler asked as he saw them hugging their grandma's legs. "Mom is taking them on a trip to disneyland next week, it's father's memorial and you know she never misses it." Jessica explained. "They must be very happy." He nodded. "Goodnight guys." Tyler waved at his kids, Ji Hee waved back but Jin Hee just rolled her eyes at him. ~~~ Jessica: 'Hello!' Jessica glanced at herself in the car rearview mirror and sighed. Sunny: 'Hello! Red light services, how may I help you?' Jessica: 'It's Jessica.' Sunny: 'Yes, yes Ms. Jung, how can I help you?' Jessica: 'I was wondering if, you have my ring? I must have left it at the hotel.' Sunny: 'Uh, yes. Erika said you left that behind.' Jessica breathed out in relief : 'Oh, good. So can I swing by now, and just...' Sunny: 'Well, actually, it's, it's not at the office right now, Erika isn't either. However, she said that you would want to make another appointment, same place, but at seven p.m. and that she would bring it to you then.' Jessica: 'What?'
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter