How I met Idols

Iris

My eyes are what got me onto a plane and flying to South Korea. I had, by the extremely urgent request of a friend, posted a picture of both of my eye colors in one and it went pretty much viral. I guess they just fascinated that many people. Of course no one knew who I was because my page doesn’t have any pictures of me on it and mostly nature photos or photos of my kittens.

About a month or two after I posted the photo I was approached by the SM Entertainment Agency about wanting my eyes to be featured on one of a Kpop group's album covers. Afraid of what they would think if they actually saw me I had wanted to say no but my grandmother gave me a huge scolding and practically threw me into it.

So just like that I am exiting the plane in South Korea and escorted into the entertainment agency’s building where I meet the director and a photographer that will be working with me. I guess my looks don't really matter to them since they will only be using my eyes. They want pictures of both of my eyes colors so my options are to either stay in Korea for 3 months or go home and come back once they have changed. I still haven’t decided at this point.

So after an hour or so meeting with the director to talk about what was needed and what the benefits are to my cooperation I amwhisked into a studio full of cameras, lights, and backdrops. There, a makeup artist has me sit down so that she can fix up around my eyes and add some glitter here and there. She compliments me on how naturally long and thick my eyelashes are in broken English which makes me blush like crazy. 

After all of the prep, I am sat down super close to a large camera with a extremely bright light shining right on my face. Everything is going pretty smoothly, taking a couple photos then looking through them before setting up to take more at a different angle. I was not expecting; however, for the group I am doing the cover for to come into the studio. 

I don’t know who any of them are since I am not at all familiar with Kpop but the way they are dressed and have people worrying around them makes it obvious that they are not staff. She comes in last and her eyes immediately look over to where my photos are being taken. I am dumbly just staring back at the most beautiful woman I have ever seen before the camera man claps to get my attention back to him since his English is, not to be rude, terrible.

After a few minutes the group of girls make their way over towards me and stand right behind the camera man, silently watching. When the camera man waves me over to look at the photos I cautiously look at each of the girls, scanning their faces for what they think of me. All five of them look perplexed as to why I am in their studio and I don’t blame them.

“I would....like to...take more...pictures.” The camera man turns his head and indicates to his right eye, “This eye.” I nod my head and turn to sit back down in the stool but someone speaks up behind me.

“Hello. You’re American right?”

I look behind me to find a peppy looking woman smiling at me from her group. I nod in response and fiddle with my shirt. Her English was fluent which gave me a little hope and relaxation.

“I’m Wendy, it’s nice to meet you.” She lifts a hand, expecting a hand shake.

I hesitate but slowly walk forward and take her thin pale hand, “Um...nice to meet you too. I’m...Blair.” I had totally lied. Blair was my primary middle name but I had panicked.

“Wow what an interesting name!” She says with a wide smile before indicating to the others behind her, “These are my other members.”

The tallest one of them lifts a hand for a small wave, “I’m Joy.” I offer her a smile in greeting.

Next a relatively young looking girl gives me a peace sigh, “I’m Yeri!” I once again offer a smile.

Then a tall girl with a masculine vibe offers me a hand to shake, “Seulgi.” 

And last but not least was her. The one that caught my eye. She steps forward and gives me a shallow bow, “I’m the Leader, Irene.”

Feeling my cheeks heat up I wave my hands in front of me, “I...it’s nice to meet you!”

The camera man says something to the girl named Wendy in Korean that causes her to step closer to me and lean into my face, her large chocolate eyes staring into mine.

“Wow! You do have beautiful eyes! I’ve seen the pictures on the internet but they are nothing like the real things!”

“U...um thank you.” I reply awkwardly, not used to the overly excited compliment.

A tap on my shoulder gets my attention and I turn back to the cameraman who points at the stool, “Please.” Widening my eyes and I quickly get back onto the stool while apologizing frantically causeing the girl group to giggle.

I don’t know if they know I can hear them or not but Wendy mentioned to the others that I was cute and they all agreed with nods except for the Leader whom continued to watch me closely.

At the end of my shoot I was escorted back to talk to the CEO, when my guide knocked on the door I could hear the middle aged man on the other side tell us to come in. Once the door swings open I am once again surprised to see the idols all sitting in front of a large desk, behind which the CEO sits.
He looks at me and offers a kind smile, "How did it go?" He asks in stable English.

I clasp my hands in front of me shyly and smile, "It was fun. Thank you for the opportunity." I can feel the others eyes on me so I keep my eyes planted firmly on the CEO's forehead.

"Of course." He waves a hand towards the idols, "I was just discussing your situation to the girls. Have you decided on what you are going to do about the three months?"

I chew on my lip and shake my head, my eyes travelng down to look at the floor. "Well that's alright, you have until tomorrow to decide." He says calmly, his aura rubbing off onto me.

"Sir." A voice I recognize to be Wendy's says catching my attention, "Where would she stay if she decided to spend the three month wait here in Korea?" I'm grateful that she asked the question in English so that I can follow what is going on.

"Miss Aldredge has a few different options. We can either set up a room here in the main building as a living space or if she would prefer it we will pay for a hotel room." He says, folding his hands on the top of the table.

"If she wanted to, would she be able to stay in the dorms with us?" Wendy asks causing my head to shoot up and my eyes to widen in surprise.
"I...I couldn't possibly intrude like that!" I anxiously blurt out.

The bubbly idol chuckles and shakes her head, "Don't be silly, we would love to have you stay with us." She turns to the other members and starts speaking in Korean which is soon followed my happy smiles and nods. "See? You are more than welcome if the boss here says that it's ok."

The CEO looks me over with observent eyes before rubbing the bridge of his nose in thought, "I don't see why not. Miss Aldredge, if you stay in their dorms you are never to mention to anyone that you are staying there or its location, is that understood?"

I nod my head vigerously, "Yes, sir."

"Very well. I will have someone go over to the dorms and set up a spare bed as well as drop off your luggage." He smiles and stands, extending a hand towards me which I quickly take, "Welcome aboard. We will do our best to take care of you. If these girls give you any trouble don't hesitate to tell me." He says with a chuckle.

I smile and release his hand, "Will do, sir."