Chapter 4

YOU ARE MY HEART Vol. 2: Back Again

The woman parted her lips and moved them as though she had whispered, “I’m back,” her creepy smile never once left her face.

Moonbyul rubbed her eyes to make sure her sight wasn’t deceiving her, but when she opened them, the woman had disappeared. Where is she? WHERE IS SHE!? She frantically searched around, carefully scanning every face she saw but she couldn’t find her again. Did I—was I seeing things? She furrowed her brow; she felt as though time had slowed around her as she listened to her heavy breaths leaving one by one. What’s this—? It couldn’t have been—no, it can’t be. Suddenly, she felt a tap on her shoulder, she instantly jumped away as she turned around.

“Moonbyul mama, are you okay?” Jae-Yoon looked up at her curiously.

“You look pale. Is everything alright?” Solar asked worriedly.

“Y-yeah. I just thought you were—” she shook her head, “never mind. It’s nothing.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah,” she laughed nervously, “you guys done?”

“Mhm,” Solar nodded, “what did Whee-In say?”

“They’re waiting for us over at the food court.”

“Let’s head over then.”

“Alright. Let me get that for you.”

She got the shopping bag from Solar and carried it in one hand. With the other, she held Jae-Yoon’s hand as they headed for the food court. As they were walking toward the elevator, she felt a sense of uncertainty, so she continued to scan the second floor as well as her surroundings. When she was unable to locate the woman, she felt relief. It must have been my imagination. She let out a soft sigh.

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yes,” she smiled happily.

When they got to the food court, they saw Hwasa and Whee-In sitting at the table near the railing. They were laughing uncontrollably as they whispered into each other’s ears. Solar and Moonbyul wasn’t sure if they should head over and interrupt the lovebirds, but Jae-Yoon ran toward them the moment he noticed them. Solar and Moonbyul looked at each other, smiled and shrugged before they followed him.

“Hwasa mama! Whee-In mama!” he screamed excitedly.

“C’mere you,” Hwasa lifted him up and placed him on her laps, briefly tickling him once she did, Whee-In joined in as well.

“Stttoooppp~” he tried to block off his body as he laughed.

“What did you get?” Whee-In perked up.

“I got new shoes! Look!” he lifted up his feet.

“That’s a pretty red color.”

“It’s not pretty! It’s cool!” he proclaimed, “and it’s bur—buh—bah—”

“Burgundy,” Solar spoke as she and Moonbyul sat down.

“Yeah! What Solar mama said.”

“You’re finally here~.” Whee-In playfully slumped onto the table.

“Sorry, sorry, have you guys waited long?” Moonbyul questioned.

Hwasa chuckled. “Nah~, Whee-In’s just been eyeing food, that’s all.”

“Cause I’m hungry,” Whee-In pouted.

“Sorry we made you wait,” Solar spoke apologetically.

“Don’t worry about it,” Hwasa waved it off.

“Jae-Yoon ah,” Whee-In turned toward him, “Whee-In mama needs energy transfer!” she raised both her hands toward him in a high-five position.

“Okay~,” he joined his hands with hers, “SUUUPAAAHHH CHAAAARRRGEEEEE!”

Jae-Yoon screamed as he quickly rubbed his hands against hers, drawing a plus sign in her palm. Whee-In playfully shook her body as though there was an electrical current running through it. She took in a deep breath and gave him a thumbs-up.

“YAY! It worked!” he celebrated.

“Hungry?” Hwasa questioned and he looked up at her.

“Yes, Hwasa mama.”

“What do you want to eat?” Whee-In chimed in.

“Fried chicken,” he answered without a second thought, “I need to use the bathroom.”

“Come, I’ll take you,” Moonbyul waved for him to come over.

“Okay~.” He jumped off of Hwasa’s laps and ran over to Moonbyul. “Moonbyul mama, piggyback!” He stretched out his arms as he waited for her to come down.

“Okay,” she smiled sweetly and got down on one knee for him to get on, “you guys order. We’ll be right back.”

“What would you like?” Solar grabbed onto Moonbyul’s shirt and looked up at her.

“Anything’s fine,” she and Jae-Yoon gave Solar’s forehead a peck before leaving.

After they finalized what they wanted to eat, Solar stayed behind to watch their belongings while Whee-In and Hwasa went to order. Moonbyul took Jae-Yoon to the nearby restroom, but there was a long line of people waiting. She looked at the bathroom on the opposite side, but it was also full. She decided to take Jae-Yoon up to the sixth floor restroom instead.

As she expected, there was no queue to use the restroom. She knelt down for Jae-Yoon to get off before leading him into the men’s room. The bathroom was empty, he chose a stall, asked her to wait for him and did his business. After he was finished, he made sure to wash his hands well and dried them off properly. Moonbyul held the door for Jae-Yoon to leave first, but as he was exiting he bumped into an intimidating man. He looked up, bowed, and apologized.

“I’m sorry.”

“Watch where you’re going, you useless brat!” The man said condescendingly as he put his hand on Jae-Yoon’s head and pushed him away.

Moonbyul caught him and he hugged her leg as he hid behind her. His body shook slightly as he whimpered, unable to look at the man he focused his gaze on the floor.

“Hey!” Moonbyul pushed the man’s shoulder, “what do you think you’re doing?”

The man looked in disgust at the spot on his body where she’d touched him before turning back toward her. “What do you think you’re doing?” the man asked angrily.

His fiery eyes glared down at them as he fixed his tie and straightened his suit jacket, dusting off the spot where Moonbyul had touched him. He was wearing a navy blue and white striped suit. His tie and hat was of the same design. He had on a white button-up shirt with black leather gloves and dress shoes. His outfit seemed to be from an expensive designer brand that’d been imported in limited quantity. His arrogant personality only accentuated his disdain for all things beneath him.

“He apologized!” She hissed. “How dare you lay your hand on him!?”

“Ignorant woman,” he sneered. “If apologies were useful, what’s the use of laws? Now, move aside,” he waved them off as if they were animals as he tried to enter.

Moonbyul gripped his shoulder and glared at him, “apologize!” she gritted her teeth.

He swatted her hand away, “me? Apologize? Don’t be absurd,” he scoffed, “and did you not hear a single word I said? Now move!”

“Are you daft?” she slammed her hand on his chest and pushed him against the wall, “I said apologize!” She gritted her teeth.

He pushed her aside, “do not touch me again, you barbaric lowlife!” he said furiously, “that little is not worth my time. That goes double for you.”

“Why you little—!?

She gripped his tie and threw her fist into the air but stopped before she could hit him. She noticed that Jae-Yoon was gripping tighter onto her leg, when she glanced down at him he had his eyes shut tightly. She didn’t want to scare Jae-Yoon any further so she let loose her grip.

The man pushed her off, “how predictable of a lowlife, resorting to violence,” he straighten his tie.

Moonbyul reluctantly got out of his way; as he passed her, he smirked as though he had won. She gave out a low disgruntled groan as she glared at the man. She instantly calmed herself when she looked at Jae-Yoon. She picked him up and he wrapped his arms around her neck, burying his face into her shoulder. She patted his back to try and calm him before they headed out.

“Know your place,” the man commented as Moonbyul and Jae-Yoon were leaving.

“What?” She turned around and scowled at the man.

“This is a place for men,” he taunted as he smiled, “women and children should know their place.”

“Men?” Moonbyul scoffed, “if there was one, there’s not much to see.”

“How dare yo—”

Moonbyul let go of the door as she’d no need to hear another word from him, and it closed before he managed to finish his sentence. As she carried Jae-Yoon back, she sang him a sweet lullaby and reassured him everything would be alright. He slowly let loose his grip and listened attentively to her song, eventually singing along with her. He was back to his normal self by the time they reached the elevator.

“You can let me down now, Moonbyul mama,” he grinned.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes~,” he replied happily as he nodded.

“Alright,” she carefully let him down.

“I’m sorry Moonbyul mama,” he spoke sadly as he stared at the ground, “I’ll be stronger next time.”

She knelt down beside him and patted his head, “don’t be silly. You don’t have to apologize. It’s okay to be scared.”

“Really?” he glanced up at her.

“Of course,” she smiled sweetly.

“Okay~, but I will become stronger!” he proclaimed.

“I know you will,” she ruffled his hair, “should we head back?”

“Yes~, I’m hungry!”

“Here,” Moonbyul pulled out her phone and headphones, “you can play something while we wait for the elevator.”

“Yay~, thank you Moonbyul mama!”

Moonbyul made sure the headphones were snugged against his ears, so that he could tune out his surroundings and enjoy himself. He opened one of his games on her phone and began tapping away, sticking out his tongue in the corner of his mouth as he played.

As they waited for the elevator to arrive, a young man, who looked to be in his late twenties, slowly jogged pass them. He didn’t seem to be very healthy and was sweating profusely. He was wearing a cheap brown suit, which was damp. A smell of old socks mixed with strong perfume wafted from his body, creating an almost nauseating feeling. He ran up to a young man wearing a gray suit, standing at the entrance of the bathroom corridor. As he caught his breath he used the handkerchief in his hand to wipe the sweat from his face. The gray-suited man subtly placed his hand across the bottom half of his face, trying to shield his nose from the smell; his face ever so slightly flinched.

“Wh-where’s Mr. Kwon?” the brown-suited man took in a deep breath and stood up.

“In the bathroom,” the man in the gray suit slightly took a step back.

“Why didn’t you go with him?” he raised his voice.

He put down his hand and tried to act normal. “I’m glad to take a break from him,” he furrowed his brow, “he’s a vile person.”

“Don’t let him hear you say that!”

“I know. It’s just—”

“H-he’s coming,” the brown suit man nudged the other one and they became silent.

The man she’d met in the bathroom appeared before the others and they bowed to him without raising their heads, as if waiting for him to give them permission to rise, which he was in no hurry to give. He covered his nose and took a step back, his face twisted as he spoke.

“What is that repulsive smell?” he hissed, “you baboons can’t even keep yourself clean?”

“I’m-I’m sorry sir!” the brown suit man bowed even lower.

“Sorry?” he sneered as he gave the man a kick, sending him tumbling backward.

Moonbyul gently pressed Jae-Yoon’s head against her leg, making sure he couldn’t turn and watch what was happening, even if it was for a moment. Luckily he was too entranced in his game to look away.

“I-I’m-I’m sorry sir!” the brown suit man got onto his knees and groveled.

“You worthless piece of !”

The vile man stomped on the brown-suited man’s head and ground it beneath his heel. The gray-suited man slightly backed away, still keeping his head bowed, betraying no intention of helping his colleague.

“Your disgusting smell offended me!” He pressed the man’s head down onto the ground and scraped it against the tiles, “if you can’t even be a decent human being, you might as well die!”

“I’m-I’m sorry—” the man begged.

The elevator signaled it arrival, and for a few seconds Moonbyul and the vile man locked their gazes in a deadly battle, before they disappeared from each other’s sight. Moonbyul let out a sigh of relief as she glanced down at Jae-Yoon, who was still focused on his game. She smiled and petted his head, which made him curiously look up at her. She knelt down beside him and gently removed the headphones.

“We’re almost there,” she spoke softly.

“Okay~”

He returned her phone without any fuss and excitedly waited for the elevator to open so he could head back to the rest of his family. The moment he got to the food court, he rushed over to the others and Whee-In put him on her lap. She peeled some fried chicken and fed it to him.

“What took so long?” Solar questioned as Moonbyul sat down.

“The bathroom down here was full so we went upstairs.”

“Ve mat a bah man,” Jae-Yoon chimed in, his mouth filled with food.

“A bad man?” Whee-In looked down at him.

“Mhm,” he glanced up and nodded, “he vas scrhavy!”

“Don’t talk with your mouth full,” Solar scolded.

“Scary?” Hwasa raised her brow and looked at Moonbyul, “did he do something?”

“Did something happen?” Solar added.

“I’ll tell you guys about it later. Not now,” she gestured at Jae-Yoon.

“Alright,” they nodded in agreement.

The finished their meals and shopped around for some more items before they headed home. It was around three-thirty in the afternoon by the time they reached their house. They all slumped onto the couch except for Jae-Yoon, who had more energy than all four of them combined. He ran around them, spreading his arms out as if he was a plane before he hopped in place.

“Mommies, can I go play with Im-Hee now?”

“You’re always thinking of Im-Hee huh,” Hwasa teased.

“Hmph,” he pouted.

“Don’t be mean,” Whee-In playfully hit her.

“What? I’m just saying.”

“Don’t stay out too long,” Solar instructed.

“I won’t~!”

Jae-Yoon dashed out the front door and stopped at the road, then glanced both ways before crossing to the other side. He stopped in front of the house across from his and knocked on the door. A little girl peaked out from the side window and smiled when she saw him. Im-Hee! A wide grin spread across his face as he waved at her. A moment later the door opened and she happily greeted him.

She was wearing a sky blue dress that draped at her knees. Her long hair flowed gracefully pass her shoulder blades; it was neatly tied in a half ponytail. She had on a friendship bracelet which matched Jae-Yoon’s. It was made of red and black yarn tied to a golden plate that read ‘FRIENDS FOREVER.’

“Who is it, dear?” A voice from the back called out.

“It’s Jae-Yoon, mommy!” She turned around and screamed.

“Play nice now!”

“We will!” They replied in unison.

“Hi!” they greeted each other excitedly.

“You’re late,” she pouted, “where were you?”

“I went shopping with my mommies. Look,” he lifted up his feet, “I got new shoes.”

“They’re the same as mine!” She excitedly picked up her sneakers and showed them to him.

“Mhm,” he nodded, “they’re so cool!”

“I know right! Let’s go to the playground!”

“Yeah!”

She sat down and put on her sneakers before she announced.

“Mommy, I’m gonna go play with Jae-Yoon now!”

“Okay! Come back soon!”

“Okay~!”

She closed the door and took his hand as they hopped and skipped to the park, which was located not far down the street. There were other children playing there; two were in the sandbox, trying to build their mini castle. A few were playing tag and on the swings. It was an adult-free zone and it’d always been that way.

They ran up to the children playing tags and asked to join in; Jae-Yoon chose to be it. He knelt down as though he was tying his shoes, although it had no laces. He glanced around and observed for a few moments; he tried to remember how the kids ran earlier and noted their size to estimate their speed. Im-Hee was as fast as him; he knew that her dress wouldn’t impede her.

He examined the first boy, the shortest of the group, and recalled that the boy was quite fast. The boy’s head was buzzed all-around with only the hair on the top of his head remaining. He wore an orange tank-top with cartoon characters in the front; his tan shorts and gray sneakers completed his outfit.

He moved onto the next person and recalled that she was a bit slow. The girl was the tallest of the group, however not by much. Her curly hair was put up into a bun, with a lock of hair dangling in front of her ear on each side, gracing by her shoulders. She was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and boots that seemed kind of heavy, which might have contributed to her being slower than the rest.

The next person standing in the semi-circle was a boy. He was thicker than the rest, and he had a penchant for rubbing his shaved head. He wore a gray shirt with navy blue shorts and sneakers. The light-up shoes would flash when he moved around. His speed was average.

The last of the children in their game of tag was a girl in a yellow dress, it looked similar to Im-Hee’s dress but in a different color. Her hair hadn’t reached shoulder length and her sneakers were white. The glasses she wore were round and covered half of her face, from time to time they would slide down and she’d to push them back up. She was the second fastest runner of the four, she might even be the fastest if she didn’t need to worry about her glasses falling off.

“What taking so long?” the small boy whined.

“Sorry! Here I come!” Jae-Yoon yelled and started dashing after them.

He wanted to leave Im-Hee for last but didn’t want all the other fast runners to be around as well, so he went after the small boy and the glasses girl first. He chased the girl around until her glasses were too foggy and it got the better of her. She squatted down, closed her eyes, and covered her head, hoping that she wouldn’t get tagged too hard. Jae-Yoon ran up to her and tapped lightly on her hand. He then went after the small boy, who ran near the others and used them as decoy, causing the second girl to be tagged out.

“Seriously!?” she grumbled under her breath, “this .”

Im-Hee tried to keep her distance, but the small boy kept running after her as if he was it instead. She’d outrun him, but his stubbornness brought him back in her direction and Jae-Yoon along with him.

“Stop running this way,” Im-Hee tried to shoo him away.

“You can’t catch me!” the small boy screamed at Jae-Yoon.

“I will!” Jae-Yoon replied.

Jae-Yoon tried to tag Im-Hee as he ran past her on his quest to catch the boy, but his hand only managed to graze her hair. She felt relief that it was only a close call and immediately ran toward the bigger boy. The small boy did the same, causing the big boy to be the target of three people.

“No no no no no no no—” he softly chanted as he turned and ran.

The small boy went after him to use him as a shield. He’d planed to run in front of the bigger boy, cut him off, let him get tagged, and in the process slow Jae-Yoon down. When he reached the bigger boy and was about to carry out his plan, Im-Hee impeded him. She got in front of the bigger boy first, which made him stop earlier than expected. The little boy, unable to quickly change direction, came to a halt before colliding into them. This caused him and the bigger boy to be tagged out simultaneously. Im-Hee was the only one remaining.

“Urgh,” The bigger boy groaned.

“Cheater!” The little boy stomped his feet as he screamed at her.

“You started it!” Im-Hee stuck her tongue out at him at the other side of the playground.

Jae-Yoon chased Im-Hee around for a bit, having more fun than when he chased the others. They didn’t want to drag out the game so she let herself get tagged without it being too obvious. They’d always done that when they played with other children, otherwise they’d be very competitive. They played a few more game of tag until everyone was tired of it and left to do something else.

Jae-Yoon and Im-Hee ran up to the nearby tree and grabbed two branches from the ground. They stood with their back pressed against each other and readied their swords. They were surrounded by enemies, their comrades were all dead. They’d slain hundreds of foes but it didn’t seem like their numbers were dwindling. Their battle garments were torn and stained with blood; their crimson swords were chipped and cracked. Blood trickled from the cuts on their bodies. They wiped off the stains from their faces with the backs of their hands as they gripped tightly onto the hilt of their weapons, readying for another wave of enemies. The sun was setting behind them.

The battle intensified as the bodies piled up. They were exhausted and unsure how long they could keep on fighting. When they thought there was no end to the enemy onslaught, it suddenly stopped. They glanced at each other but didn’t lower their guard. Over the hill appeared a man on horseback, he trotted closer to them but still kept his distance.

“Give up and I’ll let you live,” Jae-Yoon was his voice.

“Never!” Im-Hee spoke in a low grunt, “we’d rather die!”

“Why throw your lives away? Come work for me.”

“We’re not traitors!”

“Have it your way,” he galloped back up the hill. “Kill them!” the warlord ordered.

His men rushed into battle once more. He turned his mount around and glared down at Jae-Yoon and Im-Hee. He raised his hand in the air and his archers readied their bows. He signaled and a barrage of arrows came flying into the no-man’s land, killing indiscriminately. Jae-Yoon and Im-Hee quickly grabbed a nearby shield to protect themselves, as the arrows pierced through their enemies from behind.

The warlord gritted his teeth as his face twisted in anger. He reached down and pulled out his bow from his horse’s saddlebag. He took aim and let his arrow fly. Jae-Yoon and Im-Hee were busy finishing off the few enemies remaining, so they didn’t see the arrow speeding toward them. It was too late to avert it by the time Jae-Yoon noticed. He jumped in front of Im-Hee and shielded her. The arrow pierced his armor and straight through his heart. He dropped to his knees as he gripped his wound. He looked up at the warlord who was smirking atop the hill.

“Jae-Yoon!”

Im-Hee cut down the last enemy and dropped down next to Jae-Yoon.

“No! Jae-Yoon! No!” She pleaded as she gripped onto his hand.

“Be-be strong—” he uttered before he fell to his side.

“Noooo! Jae-Yoooooonn!” She cried, “I will avenge—”

“Look at these two idiots!”

A roar of laughter broke out from behind them, interrupting their play session. They turned around and found three older kids, who looked to be in their early teens. They pointed at Jae-Yoon and Im-Hee as they held onto their bellies and laughed. The two of them got up and confronted the older kids.

“What do you want?” Jae-Yoon growled.

The middle kid wiped the tears from his eyes before he replied. “Can’t you tell?”

He gestured for them to look around and they found that everyone had already high-tailed out of the playground. The place once filled with children’s laughter mere moments before was now desolate.

“Scram,” one of the older kids hissed.

“We were here first!” Im-Hee protested.

“Yeah! You leave!” Jae-Yoon added.

“Scram before we make you!” they threatened.

“Yeah, go home to your mommies before you get hurt,” another chimed in.

“No!” Im-Hee sternly spoke as she put down her foot.

“Kids who don’t follow orders need to be taught a lesson.”

He grabbed Im-Hee by her shoulder strap and pulled her forward, he raised his hand and was ready to educate her.

“Let her go!” Jae-Yoon jumped in and tried to get him to loosen his grip.

“You’ll get your turn,” he tried to pushed Jae-Yoon away and Jae-Yoon bit him on his arm. He let go of Im-Hee and kicked Jae-Yoon off of him, “the little bit me.”

Jae-Yoon fell backward and glared up at the boy.

“Jae-Yoon, are you okay?” Im-Hee knelt down next to him.

Before he could replied the older boy stomped toward him, “you little , come here!”

He pushed Im-Hee aside and started pummeling on Jae-Yoon. Im-Hee tried to shove the boy off and he backhanded her across the face, which caused Jae-Yoon to become fiercer with his punches. Getting slapped didn’t deter her, in fact it gave her more motivation. She jumped on the boy’s back and bit his shoulder. He pulled on her hair but she didn’t let go, until finally his friend ripped her off of him and threw her to the ground.

Jae-Yoon rushed over to her side, “Im-Hee, are you okay?”

She smiled and shook her head.

The boy held onto his shoulder and screeched, “!”

Jae-Yoon turned around and glared up at the boy, he stretched out his arms and used his body to shield Im-Hee.

The boy tried to go after them once more but his friend stopped him. “That’s enough. They’re just kids.”

“This joint blows. Let’s just get outta here.” The other one chimed in.

“Fine.”

He reluctantly grunted as he glared down at them. He noticed a glint on Jae-Yoon’s wrist; he pulled Jae-Yoon toward him and forcefully removed it. Jae-Yoon tried to kick and punch him but he couldn’t stop the boy from taking his friendship bracelet. The boy cast Jae-Yoon aside once the item was in his hand.

“Friends forever huh,” the boy scoffed, “I’ll be taking this.”

“Give it back!” Jae-Yoon gritted his teeth and clenched his fist.

“What?” The boy raised his brow.

“GIVE IT BACK!” Jae-Yoon jumped at him.

He kicked Jae-Yoon back down and spat on his shirt. “You little , stay down if you know what’s good for you.” He turned back to his friends, “let’s blow this joint. What a ty day.” He grunted.

“I can’t believe you fought a little kid,” his friend laughed.

“Shut up!” He punched his arm.

“I have to get it back,” Jae-Yoon mumbled under his breath.

He got up and was ready to run after them but Im-Hee grabbed onto his arm and held him back.

“Let it go,” she pleaded.

“No, I have to get it back!”

“We’ll get another one.”

“No!”

He pulled his arm out of Im-Hee’s grip and dashed after the older children.

“Jae-Yoon!” Im-Hee called him but he didn’t stop. “I have to go tell his moms.”

She ran toward the direction of their houses, which was the opposite of where Jae-Yoon was heading. Jae-Yoon caught up to the boy who’d stolen his bracelet and jumped him from behind, knocking the boy onto the ground. Jae-Yoon wailed on him for a few moments before his friends pulled Jae-Yoon off.

“You little !”

They ganged up on him and started kicking him as he curled up on the ground blocking his head. A car pulled up to them not long after and the attack stopped. A person gripped onto the boy’s shoulder, pulled him back, and backhanded him across his face; it caused him to drop the bracelet. Jae-Yoon quickly picked it up and held it against his chest.

“The ! What’s your problem old man!?” The boy screamed as he held onto his face.

“Get lost!” He warned.

“Let’s just get outta here!” His friend nudged him.

“Hell no! This hit me!”

The boy threw a punch at the man and he stopped it with ease. He gripped onto the boy’s fist and bent it backward.

“Ow ow ow ow ow—” the boy screamed, his face twisted in pain, “you gonna break it man! Let go, you ! Let me go!” The boy commanded.

“Hm?” The man glared down at him.

“I’m sorry sir,” he began to cry. “Please, let me go.”

The man loosen his grip and the boy retreated.

“I’ll get you for this old man! I’m gonna tell my mommy!”

He screamed as he scrambled away with his friends. The man knelt down beside Jae-Yoon and eyed him up and down. His face was so rigid, it was hard to imagine if he could ever crack a smile. Jae-Yoon wasn’t used to a stranger staring at him, so he tried not to meet the man’s gaze. The man had his hair slicked back and wore a completely black outfit with a leather jacket and gloves. He helped Jae-Yoon tie the friendship bracelet back on. Jae-Yoon was elated it was back to where it belonged.

“Th-thank you, sir,” Jae-Yoon bowed his head and grinned as he got to his feet.

“No need.”

He grabbed Jae-Yoon’s arm and dragged him toward the car, a black SUV with all of its windows tinted.

“What are you doing? Let me go!”

He punched and kicked the man, he even bit him, but the man did not utter a sound or halt for even a moment. He threw him onto the seat once they got to the car. Jae-Yoon quickly got up and tried to fight his way out, but the man stopped him without much effort. The man got in and closed the door, holding on to Jae-Yoon to prevent him from reaching the handle.

“Jae-Yoon ah.”

The sound of the voice behind him made him freeze in fear. No. No. No. His body was trembling as he slowly turned around. The woman smiled at him when their eyes met.

“What’s wrong darling?” She questioned with a compassionate look on her face. “Aren’t you glad to see mommy?”