Guilt and Forgiveness

Key to Happiness

    Hanna turned around when she felt arms around her waist.  She turned back to see it was Kihyun just coming home from work.  She turned her body around, putting her arms around the man's neck, pulling him in for a short kiss.  The kiss was cut short when her phone started ringing. 

Gijeong awoke and Kihyun let Hanna's waist go.  "Can you watch the pot for me?"  She asked, receiving a salute she slightly chuckled at.

She waved to the girl with her panda plush as she answered the call.  "Hello?"  She spoke.

"Is this Hanna Li?"  The woman on the other side spoke. 

Hanna recognized it to be a woman from the orphanage.  She was in charge of the girls.  Her name is Minsa and her brother is Kyuhyun.  When she heard the woman, her nerves settled just like they did when she was little.  "Yes, that's me."  She played with Gijeong's hair.

"Hello, Sweetie, you sound like a fine young woman."  Minsa chuckled.  "Someone has come here to talk to you.  But I told them that you have grown up and are living a life of your own."  She said.

Hanna hummed.  "That's right, what's up?"  She asked.

"This woman has come by, claiming that she's your mother."  Minsa answered in a serious voice.

Hanna would always stand still whenever Minsa gave a serious tone.  As if she were to make a peep, she would be in danger.  Minsa waited a moment before continuing.  "She has your birth certificate, the only copy.  So unless she stole it, it must be her."  She said.

"I see.."  Hanna looked down.

"She said she needs your help for something, should I tell her to go away?"  Minsa asked, this time it was Hanna's turn to make the big decision.

She looked at Kihyun before looking down at Gijeong, seeing her playing with her sparkly nails.  Her middle finger and pinky tap each other while her thumb and index finger tips rub together.  "No.. I'll be there this week.." 

"Alright then, thank you."  Minsa said.

Hanna hummed and gave a silent good bye before hanging up.  She looked her man's way while putting her phone back on the charger.  "That was Madame Cho at the orphanage.  She told me that a family member of mine needs help."  She said.

Kihyun raised an eyebrow.  "Family member?"  She watched him turn the burner lower before turning his body toward her.

Hanna nodded.  "I have to see what's up with that."  She said.  "I'll need to make a trip to Iksan this next week.  Will you be okay with daddy watching you al week?  Huh?"  She giggled and picked up Gijeong.

The girl clapped while chanting, "Make-over daddy!" 

Hanna listened to Kihyun's laugh and smiled.  "Alright,"  Minhyuk said, "are you sure you don't want me to drive you there?"  He asked.

"I'll be fine.. I need you to watch over her."  Hanna looked at Gijeong.  "But if you can't.."  She muttered.

"No,"  Kihyun put his hand up, "I'll cancel my appointments this next week.  I don't have much going on anyway."  He assured her.

Hanna nodded and looked at Gijeong.  "Let's go wash up for dinner~  Come on!"  She walked the girl out of the the kitchen.


***

"Okay, I gave you the lists of what she likes and hates."  Hanna said.  "I wrote down all the emergency numbers, the numbers to the orphanage, and to Kyunghoon's friends."  She told the man.

"Any questions?"  Hanna asked as she picked her purse up.

Kihyun hummed while looking up at the ceiling.  "Just update me on everything, okay?  And be safe."  He requested as he cupped her cheek.

Hanna smiled and let the man kiss her.  She sighed happily when she felt his warm arms wrap around her.  If it wasn't for Gijeong tugging on Kihyun's pant leg, the kiss might have lasted hours. 

"Be good for daddy, Jeongie~"  Hanna pointed her index finger at the girl. 

"I will!"   Gijeong shouted before having a devious smile.

Hanna giggled and kissed Gijeong's cheek.  "You tell me if he bothers you, okay?  Kisses."  She got a kiss on the cheek.

Hanna then takes Kihyun's keys before exiting the house. 



The ride to Iksan went uneventful.  She went through streets, following the GPS.  Once she was in the old neighborhood, she didn't need to look at the device.  It's like her memories came back one at a time.  She saw the old school she went to when she was young.  She stopped to look at the playground.

Memories of Kyunghoon and Jooheon come to her..



"Fear not soldiers!"  Jooheon spoke like a military man.  "What we are doing today will change the lives of our family, children, and universe around us!"  He shouted.

Kyunghoon put a firm foot on the merry-go-round.  "From this day forward, we shall march into the land of tubes and hop the scotch to the mighty ladder."  He pointed at the metal bars.

Hanna climbed up the bars and put a hand on a hoop.  "We shall be like monkeys~"  She giggled as she went from hoop to hoop.

Her grip slipped, however.  She squealed as she felt the air go up her dress at the falling.  Jooheon was close enough to her and ran into action, catching the girl before she fell onto the sand.  "You have to be more careful."  Kyunghoon came running up to them. 

"Sorry~"  Hanna giggled.



Hanna laughed and shook her head at the memory.  She continued driving until she reached the orphanage.  Parking, she gets out of her car and walks up to the tall building.

She opened the door and looked around.  There were little boys and girls running around with paper airplanes and teenagers reading books.  She put her hands behind her back as she walked further into the hall. 

"Excuse me,"  She walked up to a teenager, "is Madame Cho here?"  Hanna asked.

The girl Hanna approached looked up from her book.  Her eyes were dark with makeup and her hair nearly covered her face.  "She's in her office."  The girl quietly said.

"Thank you."  Hanna bowed before making her way down the familiar hallway.

She looked at the pictures lining the place, seeing pictures of the children that were taken at every New Year.  She stopped when she saw herself, many years ago.  Kyunghoon was making rabbit ears behind her while she held her penguin plush tight.  She laughed when she saw Jooheon holding a pumpkin, a little joke that the boy used to make.

"Why are pumpkins always forgotten after Halloween?"  She recited the boy.  "They should be able to celebrate New Year's too.."  She trailed off, walking up to Minsa's office door.


She knocked on the door and heard the good words.  When she entered the office, she saw an older version of Minsa than she remembered.  She then saw another woman sitting down in the room too.  Her hair was similar to Hanna's hair, as well as her eyes and lips.  There was no doubt in Hanna's mind that this was her relative.

Fortunately and unfortunately, Hanna remembers her mother's appearance somewhat.  She always wore expensive clothes.  She always wore her glasses as fashion rather than vision.  She always spoke how much she was in love with her other child.. The other child..

"Hanna, please sit down."  Minsa requested.

Hanna obeyed the woman.  She looked at the woman who was obviously in her early fifties, watching her as if she was waiting for Hanna to say or do the wrong thing.  Her hair has a few white highlights followed by her glasses being on the bridge of her nose, an obvious fashion statement.  Her shirt has a headache-enducing pattern that matched her black and white hair.  Her waist is defined by a belt between the blouse and long, black skirt.

Lastly, her two-inch black heals look as if they would make those intimidating clanks on the floor.  Her purse is black leather, a silver chain going around the woman's shoulder.  Hanna knew this woman was well off.  She highly contrasted to Hanna, who was wearing a simple, faded-pink dress with black leggings underneath. She has a pair of Mary Jane's on and a small purse that Kihyun and Gijeong made for her birthday.

"You wanted to see me?"  Hanna spoke up first, hating this stand-off of silence. 

The woman put her hands together in her lap, her nails were done recently with a coat of clear, shiny nail polish.  "It's been a long time, Hanna."  She spoke.

"It has.."  Hanna said.  "Twenty years to be exact."  She stated firmly, keeping her emotions neutral.

The woman looked down at her lap.  "How have you been?"  She asked, looking up with her eyes and not her whole head. 

Hanna crossed her leg.  "I might not be a success like you had hoped, but I'm a housewife."  She spoke.  "I have a kind husband and a lovely daughter."  She said, thinking of her little princess being taken care of by Kihyun and that rascal Kyunghoon.

"You're married?"  The mother asked in disbelief.

"Married and happy,"  Hanna confirmed, "but why do you care?  You didn't care enough to come back for me."  She said, her emotions starting to get the best of her and she has been the one that was mostly talking.

But maybe that's it; maybe she is getting weak because the mother has only given her small stares and not many words.  Maybe her heart is breaking from the woman not explaining herself and why she left her alone that day.  Or maybe Hanna always dreaded this day, if it ever came. 

"Sarah needs your help."  The mother simply stated.

Sarah, the woman's  child.  Hanna and Sarah aren't blood related.  Sarah was her child and Hanna was her father's child, but they're from different marriages.  While Sarah was being treated like a princess, Hanna was always ridiculed behind the man's back.  He never knew how much his new wife despised the girl.

"What happened to her?"  Hanna asked.  She might not have been treated nicely by the woman, but Hanna and Sarah were very close without the parents nearby.

They would share food, clothes, and pretend-play whenever their parents were out doing something.  But there was always an aura around them: Sarah was treated much better because the mother wouldn't have it any other way.  When Hanna heard something about her, her angry emotions vanished.

"She got into an accident,"  The mother patted her eye with a tissue, "she just keeps chanting your name.  I don't know what to do.." 

Hanna has imagined every scenario of meeting her mother.  However, she never had this one play in her mind.  She stood up and walked around the table that was separating them.  She sat down on the couch and put a hand on the woman's shoulder.  "Don't cry.."  She muttered.

"I've been a foolish woman,"  She looked at Hanna, "my sins are coming back to me.  I should have never left you.."

Hanna looked down and sighed.  "You shouldn't have.."  She agreed.  "But that's behind us now.  You and Sarah have been living well with daddy, right?"  She asked.

The woman shook her head.  "When you went missing, he suffered from depression.."  She said.  "He ended his life when Sarah and I were at a school function.. He couldn't live with himself knowing you were somewhere being hurt.  I never told him I left you."  She explained, her tears coming up and her breathing messing with her speech.


Hanna put her arms around the older woman.  "Why.. why did you leave me, Mom?"  She asked, starting to tear up herself.

"Your father would only talk about you..  He never spoke about my Sarah."  She put her arms around Hanna to make a mutual hug.  "I was jealous and greedy.  I wanted him to love me and Sarah, not his ex and you.."  She admitted.

"When Sarah started saying your name on repeat, I knew I had to find you."  She pulled back to look into Hanna's eyes.  "I searched every orphanage until this one came up with your name and that you were never adopted.  But I was so thankful to know that Kyunghoon gave me your phone number."  She smiled sadly.

Hanna's eyes widen.  "Kyunghoon-oppa gave you my number?"  She asked.

"That's right, he said that you were healthy.."  She said.  "I was so relieved.  And you're married, with a child!"  She had an amazed tone.

Hanna nodded and patted the woman's eyes with her tissue.  "I love them to bits, Mom.."  She said.

The mother nodded and held Hanna's hands.  "Please come to the hospital with me,"  She begged, "Sarah needs you."  She pleaded.

Hanna nodded once more.  "I'll drive us, okay?"  She stood the woman up.  "Thank you, Madame Cho."  She bowed to the woman who has been watching with a sad smile.


The older sat quietly in Kihyun's vehicle.  She looked at the rearview mirror that had hearts dangling from it, one with Hanna's name on it and the other with Kihyun's name.  She studied the name and sighed.

"Is he good for you?"  She asked in a small voice, watching the road.

Hanna smiled softly.  "He's the best,"  She said, "in my purse, I have a few pictures if you're interested."  She offered.


She picked up Hanna's purse and took the wallet there.  The wallet was closed with velcro.  When she opened it, she was greeted by a family photo.  She saw Hanna next to a man with a handsome smile.  His suit is worn proudly and his hair is done quite well.  Below them on the pile of fake leaves is a girl with bows in her short hair.

"She's beautiful.."  Her mother commented.

Hanna put on her turn signal as she followed the GPS.  "She loves art, she likes dirtying up her hands to make a tree."   He laughed a little.

The older put the purse back down when she noticed they were in the parking lot to the hospital.  They get out together and she signs Hanna in as a visitor.  Hanna puts the sticker on her dress and follows her mother to the room. 


Once inside, Hanna saw a girl she barely recognized.  Sarah had grown her hair out long and her bangs were to her eyes.  Last Hanna remembered, Sarah had short hair and her hair was all one length. 

"Sarah?"  Hanna spoke, making the girl open her eyes and look at Hanna.

Sarah sat up slowly, looking into Hanna's eyes.  Although her appearance definitely changed, Hanna could tell that this girl was Sarah.  Hanna instantly put her arms around the younger in a hug.  "Sarah,"  Hanna's voice was shaky as the girl just sat there, "I never thought that I would see you again." 

Sarah looked down and brought her hand up slowly.  "U-unnie..  Where did you go?"  She asked weakly.

"Here and there,"  Hanna pulled back and sat down next to the younger, "I didn't know where to go, I was so lost."  She admitted, brushing Sarah's bangs away.

Sarah's eyes grow tears.  "I mi-missed you so much."  She said.  "Daddy m-m-missed you t-too."  Sarah was choking over her sobs.

"What happened, why are you in the hospital?"  Hanna asked, looking over the girl to see any injuries.

Her head seemed fine and so did her arms.  However, being that the girl is in the blanket, she wasn't for sure about her legs or body.  "Are you okay, Sarah?"  She asked.

"Unnie, last week made the twenty-year anniversary.."  Sarah wiped her eyes.  "I was so sad that you still weren't home.." 

Hanna furrowed her eyebrows and held the girl's hands.  "What did you do?"  She asked.

"I..  Mom pulled me out of the road."  Sarah admitted.  "I haven't been living well, Unnie.. I felt guilty that daddy always paid attention to me.."  She cried.

Hanna looked over at her mother while the younger pushed her face into Hanna's chest.  The mother looked guilty and remorseful.  Hanna her hair.  "I'm here now, Sarah."  Hanna whispered. 


***

Like that, the week had gone by and Hanna was ready to drive back to her home.  She missed Kihyun's small jokes and Gijeong's laughter.  She missed her family.  However, she was also leaving her family here.

"Unnie,"  Sarah wasn't in the hospital gown anymore, "I know this is a lot, but could I stay with you for a couple weeks?  I want us to catch up as much as we can."  She had a pleading smile with her hands clasped.

How could Hanna say no to that?  How could she leave her sister more disappointed than when she figured out Hanna was missing?  Those things ran miles, marathons, in her mind.  And that's why Sarah is in the back seat with her little suitcase.

I should have asked Kihyun first..  But seriously, would he even know what to say?  She sighed inwardly and turned off the engine.  "Wait here, Sarah.  I'll get Kihyun to help you with your things."  She smiled softly.

Sarah nodded and watched the older girl exit the car.  Hanna unlocked the door and saw her precious girl in braids with rice on her lips. 


"So? How did the visit go?"  She felt arms around her and that charming voice sound against her ear.  "Who did you meet?"  He asked.


Seeing that Gijeong was distracted, Hanna walked the male a bit further away.  "I met my mother."  She said.

"Your mother?"  Kihyun raised his eyebrows.  "Does.. she.. what.."  He had broken thoughts.

Hanna smiled and held the man's shoulder.  "Everything is fine between us."  She said.  "Daddy didn't take it so well, but my sister managed to live without me.. Barely..."  She muttered.

Kihyun sighed and pulled her into a hug.  "I should have been there for you, I'm sorry."  He whispered, her hair.

"You needed to watch Gijeong..  How did that go?"  She asked.

Kihyun laughed a little.  "Kyunghoon is a mess.."  He played with Hanna's hair.  "Should I help you get your things out of the car?"  He asked.

Hanna nodded and pulled away from the hug.  "I should have asked you first.. but my sister is going to be staying with us for a little while."  She said, opening the front door.  "I hope you don't mind."  She had guilty eyes.

"No, not at all."  Kihyun smiled.  "I think it would help Gijeong too."  He walked out with her.

Hanna stopped him.  "Why are you always so supportive?"  She asked with a slight chuckle.

Hanna's heart was about to burst at the cute smile that Kihyun made.  "Because I love you."  He kissed her cheek before walking to the car.

She watched the two introduce each other and Kihyun held Sarah's hand and picked up the suitcase with the other.  She sighed happily as Sarah was quick to warm up to him.

 

 


Daddy would be so happy..