the link

Timeless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Seungri got to the office that morning, Jiyong’s already there, waiting on the meeting table. They’re supposed to have a briefing about their next trip but it’s not until another 30 minutes. But then again, should he be surprised that man got here early?

 

Seungri thought about going straight to him, but Taehee and Jaeho were already there, so he only raised his eyebrows at him and went straight to his table. 

 

Jiyong, meanwhile, didn’t seem to get the memo, or just didn’t care, got up and got to his table. He leaned his back at end of Seungri’s table, one hand pressing between them, his fingertips bumped up against Seungri’s on the table. 

 

Seungri felt like grabbing Jiyong’s hand, and he almost did because his hand moved a little on its own towards that direction, but he aborted that move. He then felt he should pulled his hand away, but he didn’t. He didn’t want to. 

 

“What is it?” Jiyong threw him a question, voice full of worry and still so low that Seungri pretty sure if even Taehee was standing next to them, he wouldn’t have heard it. 

 

Seungri sighed, pushing his hair back as he slumped backward to his chair. He looked up to Jiyong, who never took his eyes off him, and looked away, scared of burning at the intensity of that stare. 

 

“I just— I don’t know how to act around you. I feel like people know.”

 

“Know about me or about us being a little gay for each other? Cause I gotta be honest, I think there’s a betting pool centred around the two of us.”

 

“What?” Seungri asked, puzzled and surprised, also scared, but Jiyong grinned.

 

“Don’t make that kind of jokes.” Seungri pushed against Jiyong’s chest. Normally, Jiyong would waver a bit at that kind of touch, but this time he didn’t move at all, and Seungri fisted his hand, pressing on Jiyong’s sternum. 

 

“If you keep touching me like this, they actually might.”

 

Seungri removed his hand, moving it to his keyboard. He’s about to log in, but he turned to Jiyong again. “We’re kind of married, aren’t we?” 

 

“Seal it with a kiss.” Seungri remembered Jiyong once said that to him.

 

“Just a little.” 

 

It’s such a stupid thing, but Seungri felt a rush of disappointment ran through his blood once he noticed that Jiyong’s answer was just another joke, and it’s apparently obvious enough for Jiyong to notice it.

 

“The briefing‘s only in 15 minutes, right?”

 

“Uh-huh.” 

 

“Come talk a walk with me?” It was said like a question as Jiyong got off from his table, but Seungri could hear urgency lacing in that tone.

 

The last thing that Seungri wanted to do right now was to go for a walk. His knees were wobbly and his nerves were shot, he just wanted to collapse at his desk and skim through his notes and try to salvage what he could of the season, yet he expelled a long sigh and got up anyway, following Jiyong’s trail.

 

Seungri didn’t fight when Jiyong put his hand on his bicep, leading the way down the stairs. They bumped into Teddy on his way up, but he said nothing to them, only nodding a little, probably still fighting his sleepiness away. 

 

Seungri let Jiyong led him all the way out onto the sidewalk and back to the alley behind the building, into the hazy morning sun. He regretted not wearing a hoodie today, he thought as he folded his arms against the slight chill and squinted at Jiyong.

 

“Pretty sure Teddy’s gonna win the betting pool, now,” Seungri said.

 

Jiyong’s lips curved but it’s not much of a smile. His hand was still on Seungri’s bicep and he squeezed gently. “How long has it been since you’ve slept?” he asked.

 

“I sleep.”

 

“Like you slept in that sketchy motel you convinced yourself it’s haunted? In fifteen minute increments and convinced that a ghost is going to poke you in the face?”

 

“Exactly like that.” Seungri deadpanned at him. 

 

“Still got those nightmares?”

 

It’s gotten worse now, actually. It’s gotten so much worse that Seungri refused sleeping. These last few weeks, it didn’t feel like he’s sleeping at all, more like just passed out. He didn’t even remember the last time he got to bed by himself with intention to sleep. Usually he woke up in an awkward places like the couch, the dining table chair, the kitchen stool, but he didn’t have the energy to admit all that to Jiyong. 

 

Seungri shrugged his hand off and turned to pace a couple of feet away. He stared down the mouth of the alley, watching the cars passed by for a moment, fingers linked together behind his neck. 

 

Jiyong waited him out in silence. 

 

Seungri blew out a breath and continued, “I’ve always been prone to nightmares. It’ll pass.” He hoped he sounded more certain than he felt. 

 

When Seungri turned back, Jiyong had his hands in the front pockets of his skinny jeans and he’s looking at the crack in the pavement between them. There’s a tuft of dead grass poking up out of it that Jiyong ran the sole of his shoe over a few times, and the only thing running through Seungri’s mind was how true the phrase of “appearance could be deceiving” was. 

 

Jiyong looked soft, gentle and it’s just... outrageous he’s actually an other-worldly creature. It’s outrageous that he’s actually a demon. 

 

No matter how hard Seungri tried his best not to hype himself up too much or think too hard about Jiyong being what he is, Seungri was worried that he should feel more anxious than he was now. He worried that he’s not thinking about it enough. 

 

He’s not saying that there’s ever a moment where it’s not front and center, or lurking in the background, no matter what he did. It’s always there, always with him, making him absolutely crazy, making him losing his sleep and sanity all in one fell swoop but— , he doesn’t know anymore.

 

Seungri knew he wasn’t supposed to do this, but he just kept thinking about the effects he’s gonna get doing this, no matter how sure he was about his decision on choosing Jiyong as his partner. It’s all good now, but surely, there’s consequences to all of this. 

 

There’s a pit in his stomach and it felt like the moment before the first hill on a roller coaster, but the drop never came. He didn’t know when the drop will come, or if it ever will, he’s not even sure if he wanted the drop to come because he didn’t know what will happen after that, and that’s just too much for his weak, mortal mind to handle.

 

“It might be more than that.”

 

The breath that Seungri took was cold, yet it burn the inside of his nose and hurt the whole way down into his lungs. “You mean because of you?”

 

“Demonic influence can cause night terrors,” Jiyong told him quietly.

 

Seungri’s teeth chattered momentarily before he clenched his jaw. He looked up and down the alley, even though he knew they’re alone, before he stepped closer to Jiyong.

 

“I’m not possessed, though.”

 

“It’s not always about possession,” Jiyong said, shaking his head.

 

Seungri’s heart hammered hard. “What’s it about, then?”

 

“Proximity. Acceptance.” Jiyong shook his head again and kicked at the ground with the toe of his shoe. He then took a breath, looking at Seungri, and opened his mouth. “I don’t know, for sure. I’ve never revealed myself to someone, like this but just being close to me is probably enough.”

 

Seungri shook his head, swallowing the rush of saliva in his mouth. “I don’t have them when you’re around.”

 

Realistically, Seungri didn’t have enough quantifiable data to properly support that statement, but he knew that he’s right. He remembered that the dreams started after the car accident and how they’d disappeared entirely whenever he fell asleep next to Jiyong. 

 

Since the truth came out, they’ve only spent at least three nights together and even though he’d woken up alone, covered in a lumpy quilt every times, he’s sure he hadn’t dreamed anything, let alone had a nightmare.

 

Seungri smiled. The fact that Jiyong knew almost as little as he does, about the situation, soothed some of Seungri’s frazzled and harried nerves. “Maybe it’s the acceptance.”

 

The look on Jiyong’s face makes something inside of Seungri ached so tangibly that he winced. 

 

Jiyong bit at his own lips. “Could be that.”

 

“I’ll deal with it,” Seungri promised. 

 

Jiyong pulled his hands from his pockets and he touched Seungri’s sides with them, skimming down to his hips. There weren’t many windows on the back of the building but they’re still fairly exposed, here, out in the open, where anyone could happened by. 

 

Seungri didn’t have the strength to care if someone saw them. He knew that he should, for whatever they’ve got between them was still so fragile and goddamn strange he’s afraid that the slightest touch could shatter it, but dammit, he’s tired.

 

Seungri blew out a breath and lowered his forehead to Jiyong’s collarbone. He’s cold and he’s exhausted, and he just wanted to not exist for a while. He closed his eyes for a moment when Jiyong’s nose nudges his temple, and then his warm lips followed it.

 

“Let’s get back inside.” Jiyong rubbed his back slightly, probably just as nervous as he was being out in the public like this. “You got some itineraries ‘splaining to do, mister.” He continued, and Seungri raised his head to walk back inside, but before he could walk, Jiyong pulled him back into a proper, nice, warm hug.

 

“....um—“ 

 

“Sorry, can’t help it.” Jiyong let go. “Let’s go.”

 

As they walked back inside, Seungri wanted to grab Jiyong’s hand and laced their fingers together, but he held himself back, and expelled a heavy sigh.

 

*****

 

“It’s Queen Mary time, baby!” Seungri exclaimed in front of the camera as they’re started shooting in the parking lot. 

 

He’s genuinely excited. RMS Queen Mary ship had been at the top of his list for a long time, and now that they’re here, he couldn’t wait to hop aboard and skip along its long, creepy hallways. 

 

“We’re back in the US. In Long Beach, California, to be exact and today, we’re gonna investigate the legendary RMS Queen Mary. We’re gonna do it a little differently this episode because we’re gonna sleep here, in the most haunted room on the ship.” 

 

Though there’s parts of him already trembling in fear, but he’s feeling the rush of adrenaline now as he gazed at the sight in front of him. Seungri sighed in contentment, exaggerating it for the camera.

 

“Look, Ji could hardly contain his excitement.” Seungri pointed at Jiyong, standing still beside him, not moving, not reacting to any of that.

 

Jiyong, still in total silence, shrugged, appearing indifference to the camera, but because Seungri knew him well by now, he could see the hint of amusement in those eyes.

 

“Look at that sunset. What a good start for our investigation.” The cameras panned to where Seungri was pointing next. “Right, right, film it, it’s too beautiful to be wasted away.”

 

“Film it,” Jiyong chimed in, finally speaking, “it’s the last sunset we’re ever gonna see.”

 

When the cameras panned back to them, they filmed Seungri wheezing and Jiyong’s evil smirk, his body already turning away to the entrance.

 

Inside, they didn’t waste any time. After placing their luggages in the bedroom, they went straight to engine room, walking wherever they were permissible to walk. Seungri stopped at door number 13, as the receptionist recommended when they checked in earlier, and quickly revved up his radio. 

 

After a few minutes of just plain old statics, Jiyong sighed. “You’re gonna annoy the ghosts into showing up.”

 

Seungri was about to retort something back when he heard the railing on top of them made a noise, almost as if someone was walking on them. It’s crazy how fast he snapped his head to Jiyong, who’s now looking up too, to analyse his reaction. When Jiyong looked back at him, Seungri caught the glimpse of his black eyes and his fear were dialled up to eleven. 

 

“Well?”

 

“You should start talking.” Jiyong’s tone flat.

 

Seungri’s skin crawled. However casual it may sounded to the unknowing ears, Seungri knew there’s something behind it and there’s definitely something else with them here. 

 

“What am I supposed to ask?” He hissed.

 

“What you always do.”

 

And Seungri did, but nothing came out. He exchanged glances with Jiyong once again, before Jiyong suggested them to move to the next location. When the cameras cut and Jaeho walked slightly away from them, Jiyong pulled Seungri back slightly. 

 

“I forgot to ask you— is this a demon episode?”

 

“What?” Seungri blinked. 

 

Jiyong repeated his question. “We haven’t had demon episode yet this season. Is this the one?”

 

“Why? Is it demon?”

 

Jiyong laughed. “I don’t know. That’s why I asked you.”

 

Seungri shook his head. “No. From what I gathered, no. Is it? Earlier—“

 

“Can’t ask me. That’s cheating.” Jiyong joked, but he must’ve seen how unnerved Seungri was because he quickly added, “nothing so far. Earlier was just a harmless one.”

 

They didn’t get to continue that conversation because Teddy suddenly joined them. They were silent the whole way to the isolation ward, where everyone stopped at the top of the steep, very worn stairs leading that section to change batteries. 

 

“Where are you going?” Seungri asked when Jiyong started descending.

 

“I’ma survey the area alone first. Wanna come?”

 

Normally Seungri would say “are you crazy— no” in one breath, but he had been dying to be alone with Jiyong without everyone else breathing down their necks, so he went down with him. 

 

“You’re getting even braver, I’m so proud.” 

 

“Why, are you prepping me to meet your demon family?” Seungri replied hastily, earning a snort from Jiyong as they walked into the darkness of the ward. 

 

The Queen Mary’s isolation wards consisted of a male and female ward, each with five beds, a full bath, and an attached cabin for two nurses. Once inside, the restored female ward was visible from behind the glass. Sterile white walls, very uncomfortable looking bunk beds, a green linoleum floor, and two sinks were all that make up these “accommodations.”

 

Seungri went straight for the bunk beds, while Jiyong stopped at the plague listing the names of passengers and crew members that died while on board. 

 

“So... apparently if you died on board and your body required no autopsy, they tossed you to the sea.” Jiyong turned to him after reading a plague, raising his eyebrows. “That’s pretty cool, huh?”

 

“What happened if you do?” 

 

“They keep you in the freezer. Save you till they got to the land.” Jiyong said, moving closer to where Seungri was standing. 

 

“Like in the kitchen?” 

 

“No, sweety, they might end up serving you on a plate then. There’s a special freezer—“

 

Something behind Seungri shifted, making the bunk bed made a little creak and he spun around to look so quickly that he almost lost his balance. He didn’t know exactly when but Jiyong’s suddenly already behind him, Jiyong’s hand on his back keeping him upright, but Seungri’s heart still pounded hard, like it’s trying to escape.

 

“Did you hear that?”

 

Seungri saw nothing. Not even on the camera he’s currently holding, but something was there, just out of sight. He could feel it.

 

“Something moved.” Seungri muttered. His flashlight jumped from one bunk bed to another. “One of the bed definitely creaked.”

 

“It’s an old wood— they looked like they’re held together with thoughts and prayers, I bet a lot of things in here are moving.”

 

Seungri clenched his teeth. “I swear, Ji, something moved behind me!”

 

“We’re on water, Ri, and in case you forget, water doesn’t stay still.”

 

Seungri lowered his camera. The rest of the crew were still at the stairs, chatting away, leaving them alone in the ward but when he spoke again, he kept his voice down anyway.  “Is there anything here?”

 

Jiyong looked like he’s about to make another smartass joke, but it could be Seungri’s determined eyes, or Seungri’s tight clench on the camera stick, or something else entirely that made he shook his head in defeat. 

 

Jiyong’s face was heavily shadowed when he glanced to his back, making him look astoundingly creepy in the low light. He turned to Seungri for a moment before he thumbed the button to turn his camera off. Without a word, Jiyong nodded, and Seungri felt every hair on his body stood on end. 

 

“,” Seungri breathed out. 

 

Jiyong extended an arm, reaching around Seungri’s back. “Nothing can hurt you,” he said as he pulled Seungri closer. 

 

At first, Seungri thought he’s giving him a hug, it’s a little too late for him to realise that Jiyong’s actually asking him to face something in front of him. 

 

“Turn your camera off,” Jiyong then commanded, and though every cell in his body screamed for him not to, Seungri did so without questioning it.

 

The wind outside was howling, making the ship shuddered and groaned, every bit of bunk bed creaking, but it seemed silent, somehow, as Jiyong’s hand moved across his back to his side. 

 

Seungri exhaled quietly, gripping his flashlight so hard that his hand started to shake.

 

Jiyong raised the hand that's holding the camera and pointed toward the doorway leading to male ward, now used as an exhibition place. 

 

“Aim your flashlight.”

 

“Are you ing kidding me?"

 

“Ri,” Jiyong stressed. “Just look.”

 

Seungri hesitated. “What is it?”

 

Jiyong sighed near his ears and reached for the hand Seungri had his flashlight clenched on, drawing it up. 

 

Seungri’s first instinct was to close his eyes. Even how badly he did want to see to the proof in front of him, he’s still scared to look. He took a couple of slow breaths, trying to calm the pace of his heart, as this was really an inconvenient time to have a , and opened his eyes.

 

Initially, Seungri thought Jiyong was just ing with him. The area that his flashlight illuminated showed nothing but bare drywall. Seungri considered throwing his elbow into Jiyong’s ribs for screwing with him when he’s already on edge. Still, the feeling of being watched pressed on him like a physical thing and he couldn’t deny the sensation. 

 

“I don’t— I can’t see anything,” Seungri whispered. 

 

Jiyong made a quiet noise, like he’s perplexed, and shifted his footing. Again, he pointed his finger and traced a shape in the air. 

 

It looked like a ing blob to Seungri, and even when he squinted, he couldn’t convince himself that he’s actually seeing anything. 

 

“Ji—“ Seungri looked over his shoulder at Jiyong, and saw that Jiyong’s eyes were black, startling him into in a gasp.

 

That broke Jiyong’s focus. He blinked and that eyes were normal again, glancing at Seungri for a moment looking like he’s about to say something but looked at back towards the doorway. “It’s gone,” he said. 

 

“What was it?”

 

“Spirit,” Jiyong said, still keeping his voice low. “There are a couple here but nothing negative.”

 

“Where did it go?”

 

“Down,” was all Jiyong told him. 

 

“Down where? To the sea?”

 

“Just... down.”

 

“The does that mean?”

 

Jiyong didn’t respond, only started moving to the other area, leaving Seungri to follow. They turned their cameras back on and prowled around for a bit. 

 

Even knowing that nothing in the area was necessarily bad didn’t really do much to calm Seungri’s nerves. Every sound around them kept him on edge. He’s still looking for something, even though he’s more than a little afraid of what he might saw.

 

“I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight.” Seungri said as they entered the cabin for the nurses. “This place is, like, a perfect setting for the new season of my nightmares.”

 

Seungri was just talking mindlessly, sorta trying to fill the silence between them, not expecting Jiyong to entertain him, and that’s why he’s surprised when Jiyong suddenly said, “I might be able to prevent that.”

 

Seungri turned, careful in his footing. The floor might be sturdy, but he didn’t trust himself to keep his balance. “You might be able to prevent what?”

 

“Your nightmares. Through something call ‘the link’.”

 

“Seriously?”

 

Jiyong nodded, looking out the small window when a whistling sound came, indicating a strong gust of wind hitting some sort of openings at the side of the ship. 

 

“What’s ‘the link’?”

 

Jiyong rubbed his neck with one hand. “I can’t exactly explain it to you what is it, since I’m not entirely sure about it myself. But you said something interesting before.”

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter