Happy virus

Sensible heart x Sensitive mind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunday was usually one of the most depressing days at the hospital because there were fewer visitors and the staff was the backup of the main doctors and nurses. Except for Jung Wheein.

Wheein was a 35-year-old doctor, the head of the pediatric department and she hadn't had a vacation in 3 years. 

The woman also refused to have full days off. So, even though she had 10 amazing doctors under her, she felt the need to drop by the hospital every day and supervise their job.

Being in a position of power never changed the heart of the girl who came from Jeonju and chose to become a doctor after losing her grandmother to cancer.

Wheein was worn out after a week of extremely challenging cases but she couldn't simply relax knowing that four kids might die soon due to different but uncurable reasons.

At the moment the blonde got off the elevator and heard loud laughters coming from the left-wing, the doctor smiled.

Wheein could imagine exactly who was causing that explosion of noise in the place that should be as silent as a cemetery.

If any other person did a third of that noise in any part of the hospital, Wheein would be furious and call the security guards.

As she reached the area of the patients whose lives were hanging just on their families' hopes, Wheein saw the purple-haired woman dancing and acting like a fool in such an adorable way that not only the dying kids but also the parents and the nurses were cracking up.

The chief of the nurses became pale to the view of  Jung Wheein standing there and discreetly walked towards the powerful doctor.

_____ I'm sorry, ma'am. I know I shouldn't have allowed that the four of them were put together but... I thought that an act of compassion is better than following the protocol.____ Nurse Bomi murmured.

Sighing, Wheein responded:

_____ No need to apologize, Bomi. I know everybody fails at saying no to that annoying hamster.

_____ But look at them...None had smiled in a long time.____ The younger woman tried to contain her tears.

_____ It may be the last time...But I agree it is worth it.____ The blonde confessed and kept walking closer to the patients' room.

The mother of the 6-year-old girl who had a rare heart condition hugged Wheein and said with a cracking voice:

_____ I never thanked you for introducing us to doctor Byul-Yi. She has been so dedicated to Hanna since my child was barely 2. 

_____ My pleasure, Mrs. Park...._____ Wheein was almost falling apart.

_____ Wheein.....sweet Wheein. I don't want to see this expression on your beautiful face. You all gave me the chance to know my daughter, to learn that she loves apples and hates grapes, that she sleeps in a second when we brush her hair....among other tiny adorable things. And I wouldn't want to miss that cute giggle she releases whenever Doctor Love teases her.

_____ Doctor love????____ The blonde was puzzled.

_____ Hahahahaa Ah, you haven't heard yet? That's the nickname the kids gave Byul-Yi. One of the teens who is in better shape and had a lung transplant came up with it and it spread fast.

Wheein glanced at her best friend sitting next to a nine-year-old boy who was dying of leukemia and her heart felt full of love.

Moon Byul-Yi, the head of the cardiology department in that hospital was the patients' happy virus.

The 38-year-old woman had a huge responsibility and the reputation of being the best heart surgeon in the country. Yet, she would spend her free time trying to console patients and families. No matter if they were related to her department or not.

_____ Look! Tiny Wheein is here!_____ A seven-year-old cute girl exclaimed and smiled, pointing at her doctor with joy.

The adults laughed, despite their tears on the corner of their eyes, and the purple-haired woman turned her head to glance at her best friend.

For a split second, they read each others' minds and shared their grief. But then, Wheein caressed the girl's little hand and responded:

____ Look who is talking. You are tiny too. And that hamster over there is not tall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter