a 'rebel with a cause' side chapter

rebel with a cause
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

It’s been two months since the first time Seungwan and Joohyun went off in the middle of the night for a ‘joyride’ (that was the term they decided to call it in case Joohyun’s parents found out about it, but to them its giving Joohyun a taste of what it’s like to be ‘rebellious). It’s been two months since the first time they did it and so far, Joohyun’s parents haven’t caught a whiff of their unmonitored excursions. It’s been two months since then, that they have went off a few more times – five times, in fact – just to test that theory that maybe this unmonitored excursion can be their weekly thing on top of their Saturday dates and Sunday dinners at the Kwon’s.

 

 

 

Seungwan even suggested that they’d greet their monthsary together, celebrating it in their shared mat and blanket and arms wrapped snuggly around each other as they watch the sun rise before them. And Taeyeon and Tiffany didn’t question that their own daughter looked sleepy yet bright even with dark circles under her eyes as she greeted them for breakfast. They took it as success dubbing it as ‘WanHyun’s Night Escapades’.

 

 


But Joohyun’s parents knew better, smiling in secret as they watch Joohyun spread peanut butter on her toasts instead of her favorite strawberry jam.  Joohyun was way too sleepy to notice the difference in taste, then. But her satisfied smile … it’s kind of hard to miss when the dark circles failed to overwhelm the bright look on her face. 

 

 

 

Taeyeon and Tiffany knew not to stop those unmonitored excursions when it’s painting their daughter’s expression with such bright colors.

 

 

 

It’s another day spent in the Kim’s household, Son Seungwan was sent by her Mommy Yoong to deliver the freshly baked croissants and cheesecake they made earlier. A Saturday morning filled with the scent of flour and cheese hanging in the air, times she relish before she’s off to spend the rest of the day at her girlfriend’s place. She rang the doorbell once before Taeyeon’s face popped into view and quickly  ushered her in, greeting her with a ‘good afternoon Aunt (‘it’s Aunt for now but hurt a single strand of hair in my daughter’s body and you can call me ‘Your No. 1 Enemy’) Taeyeon’ and a brief hug.

 

 

 


Seungwan noticed the crisp burnt smell in the air, nose scrunching in the process. “I told Miyoung and Joohyun to just have pizza delivered but out of their shared stubbornness …” Taeyeon answered before she could voice her question, scrunching her nose to motion the current situation in the household, but the fond glint in her eyes is unmistakable. Taeyeon is way too smitten for her girls to even complain. It doesn’t take much to deduct that the mother and daughter took matters into their own hands and manned the kitchen with the full knowledge that they lack the skills to make a decent pizza. Seungwan chuckled, so that’s why Joohyun wasn’t the one who opened the door for her.

 

 

 

“She’s cooking for you too, you know,” Aunt Taeyeon wrapped an arm around her shoulders, eyes crinkling in mischief, if she didn’t know any better Taeyeon could still pass as a college student because of her child-like face, ignoring the silent teasing Seungwan heard the unvoiced dilemma, ‘You are not going to let me suffer on my own, kid’, she gulped.

 

 

 

Well, Seungwan mused, maybe she should’ve asked her mom to pack her some medicines for indigestion. It’s not that Joohyun’s a bad cook, she just have an unusual way of following the instructions on the recipe.

 

 

 

Seungwan nervously chuckled, grip on the boxes firm on her hands, reminded of the one ammo she’s equipped with, “It’s a good thing, Mom made me bring these then.” She offered the boxes to the host, mentioning that they made those croissants and cheesecake earlier and they are the classic Kwon-Im recipe both her parents poured their blood and sweat to.

 

 

 

“This is why I like you, kid. You sure know you’re way around our hearts,” Taeyeon accepted the boxes gratefully, eyes smiling in gratitude with a hint of teasing at Seungwan. She herself has tasted the food made by Yoona and Yuri. Being good friends back in college made her develop some steel in her stomach for when those two would join arms and prank them over salty kimbap and vinegar sandwich. But nothing like motherhood to make those two mature and actually create a recipe good enough for their only daughter.

 

 

 

They shared a laugh before going over to the kitchen to watch the mother and daughter struggle over a pizza dough.

 

 

 

The first thing Seungwan noticed when they went inside the kitchen is Joohyun in her blue and white striped apron. She knows she’s a goner at the sight before her. Hair in a messy bun, sweat-stained brows, lips red and moist, and arms exposed (Viva! Muscle tees!), lean muscles rippling slightly as she kneaded the dough carefully. For someone so delicate with the housework, Joohyun sure knows how to dress to kill in the kitchen.

 

 

 

By then she already uttered (quiet loudly, to be honest) the first of her many, “That’s so hot, Hyun.”

 

 

 

Taeyeon’s grip on her shoulder tightened, reminding her of her presence and that the comment didn’t come so silently and unheard of by the other members of her household. In a way Seungwan announced her own presence in the mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter