how we met

Delight in You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  ________________________________________________________________________________

  

      It all started out deliciously sweet… 

 

    Growing up, I’ve always been a sweet tooth. One could say I have an addictive personality, as anything that I tend to be fond of becomes almost drug-like for me. I can’t get enough of it. I suppose that may be why Halloween is my favorite holiday. It’s not so much because of the spirit of said holiday, but because no one in the supermarket will look twice when I decide to buy loads and loads of treats. I find it slightly amusing that little do they know, most of the purchase would be to relieve my intense cravings.

 

   Another aspect I love about Halloween is the ability to be whoever you want to be that day. One can literally change their identity and get a pass for it. I can walk around wrapped in toilet paper and again, people won’t care. I could appropriately redesign my whole being without the weight of what society has to say about it. Every other day is the same routine. I attend school, study, run errands for my family and mindlessly scroll across a series of apps throughout the day. I also have to shoulder the expectations to be a certain way. Rinse, repeat, and recycle.

 

    I wish everyday could be like Halloween. So I’ll cherish the 24 hours to be whoever I want to be.

 

   Fortunately, I’ve picked up on some new make-up techniques from a range of beauty influencers. The existence of makeup has allowed me to really explore and tonight is the one day I’m confident enough to showcase what I’ve learned so far. 

 

    I placed my hair in a bun as I began to enhance my features.  With a variety of makeup tools and a pastel palette, I try to mimic the look of a charming princess. I’ve always favored Cinderella. Her story is the epitome of a wonder-like fairytale and it just so happens to be the one story that I resonate with, with the phase I’m in in my life. Every other day there is no time or place for a happy ending like Cinderella’s.

    Though maybe only for tonight, when I have the time to have fun with my group of friends?




    But that projected night is swept away by the evil step-mother of my life. I don’t actually have one, but my entire family so happens to embody that particular character. My one night of freedom has resulted in staying home to pass candy to little kids. And it’s all because my parents weren’t exactly supportive of the idea of going out to get, well, wasted. Despite being of age, my parents still babied me and despite having every reason to walk off, I still chose to respect their wishes.  I never had the heart to say no; that, I feel, was a complex far worse than having an addictive personality. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter