The Picture of Bae Joo Hyun

The Picture of Bae Joo Hyun

A gentle sigh escapes the lips of a lady quietly sitting under the shade of a giant tree. People pass by her, getting along with their day, as the sun slowly carries it duty to radiate warmth as part of its own routine. The lady carefully places her hair behind her ears as her other hand busies itself browsing through the gallery of her digital camera.

 

She exhales another sigh as her brows snug together on top of her nose bridge.  Kang Seul Gi was a fourth year college student majoring in Arts, particularly Photography. Her history with cameras goes ways back when her mother gifted her with a Kodak camera that captured film images. Ever since then, Seul Gi knew she wanted to become a pro and produce images that made people smile.

 

She was just that kind of person.

 

But no matter how long she had held a camera on her hand, no matter what type it was—a smart phone, a film camera, a polaroid, or even a DSLR—nothing could capture the “best” image. She shakes her head at her own thought. It’s not the medium that matters, it’s the subject, she tells herself. As an artist, Seul Gi knew exactly what she was missing. She was missing a muse.

 

Seul Gi considered herself as a jack of all trades (in photography), but a master of none. She got involved with landscapes during her younger years, portraits in her high school years, and now in college, she got herself to become an intern for one of Seoul’s best photography studios which took on various jobs like fashion photography, wildlife photography, you name it. Her involvement with the studio expanded her portfolio, but not her inspiration.

 

Maybe I should try photography next? Seul Gi ponders at the thought.

 

During her first year at college, she attended a class that had them sketch out nudes. She didn’t particularly feel anything for the style, but it made her appreciate the human body more. She would hold out her pencil just like how they were taught to measure and visualize the actual subject and put it on paper. She would then carefully trace out the outlines of her subjects as if waving a magic wand. Men’s bodies used more lines, she remembered, while women’s would be more circular, curvier.

 

Her lips tremble at the thought. She shakes her head and softly blushes. What am I doing in the middle of the day and in public no less? She looks around to check if someone was looking at her, as if openly reading her mind.

 

She quickly picks herself up and puts her camera around herself.

 

I’m not making any progress here and my thoughts are wandering off. Might as well head back to the office. Maybe I should stop by Starbucks too.

 

Seul Gi dusts her skirt off and silently walks towards the exit of the park.

 

The streets in Seoul were as busy as ever as people had places to go and be. Seul Gi scans around, wondering about the lives they live, and the other people they were connected to. She glances upon a pair of businessmen talking as they were walking. They seemed to be in a serious conversation. They were too busy in fact, that one of them accidentally hits the shoulder of a lady carrying her child with his own. They both apologize at each other, sharing a quick bow, and eventually carry on with their lives.

 

Instinctively, Seul Gi grabs her camera, turns it on, and captures the moment before it disappeared.

 

She decides then and there to postpone her visit to the coffee shop and return to the office. She secretly follows the lady who got hit earlier with her viewfinder.

 

Where could this lead to? she thought.

 

She found the idea interesting—what if another event unfolded if she followed the lady with the baby?

 

And Seul Gi was not disappointed. Just a few minutes after keeping her attention on the mother and child another event unfolded before her eyes. A group of teenage girls suddenly approached the lady with eyes glowing as they struck a conversation with her.

 

Seul Gi could faintly hear over the crowd that passed by her the excitement of the teenagers. They seem to be focused on the little one in the lady’s arms, who responded with giggles and coos at the four young adults. The mother seems to be quite amused herself and shortly conversed with the girls too. The young photographer takes another snap just before the girls bid their farewells to the mother and child.

 

She now follows the group of four as they go about their way when her viewfinder chance upon a group of men who looked like they were in their early 20s, right around Seul Gi’s age. They seem to be busy talking to each while pointing out to something or someone in the crowd. Curious, Seul Gi scans around to find the topic of discussion among these boys.

 

She wasn’t sure, but they were probably talking about the girl who was surprisingly just a few feet away from herself. She could tell this was the person in question as everyone’s attention was all on her.

 

Is she a celebrity or something?

 

Curious, Seul Gi zooms her lens on the girl with long ebony hair. Just from the back, Seul Gi had an idea of what she was like—probably someone prim and proper, disciplined, and refined. This lady in front of her had her back straight and had visually pleasing shoulders that seemed to be just right at a 90-degree angle from her head. This probably had to be a daughter of a chaebol.

 

Meeting one in the flesh was one thing but being able to take their image was another. Not that she’s met a lot of chaebol heirs, which she hasn’t, but Seul Gi wanted to take this person’s picture for her own portfolio. There wasn’t a rule that said she couldn’t, right? Taking her back profile wouldn’t render itself a crime, right?

 

Seul Gi readies her pointer finger on the shutter button and as soon as she presses on it, she was surprised at what just happened.

 

Could a person look so perfect?

 

Before she could even realize that her eye had left the camera, Seul Gi was already staring into the eyes of her subject. When she clicked the shutter button, this person she took a quick interest in had turned around and looked her straight in the eye. Did she notice me?

 

Seul Gi’s mouth parted in awe and her eyes glued to the person in front of her. She stood still, frozen in fact, with who was in front of her. When her ears suddenly register the honk of a car in the distance did she finally come back to her senses. Seul Gi could feel the blood rush to her face and herself feeling at how she was being looked back at.

 

The beauty in front of her whose long black hair complimented her entire profile had her eyes straight at her. They seemed so deep that Seul Gi was sure she was being in again, almost forgetting where she was. Before she could register everything else, the Venus who stopped time now began pacing herself towards the photographer.

 

, is she going to tell me off for taking her picture?

 

Seul Gi rummages silently in her head for words to say—I’m sorry I took your picture accidentally? I didn’t mean to take your photo, actually I was taking a picture of the crowd? I mean you’re pretty, but that doesn’t mean I was taking your photo or somethi

 

Before she could come up with something, her wrist was wrapped around the beauty’s hand as she was being dragged from where she was standing.

 

“U-Um, excuse me but—”

 

“Let’s get coffee. It’ll be my treat,” was all that escaped from the lady’s mouth.

 

Seul Gi still couldn’t wrap her head around what was happening. In a matter of minutes, she was already sitting at the Starbucks near her workplace. She had an Iced Caramel, and a beauty in front of her. Really, what the hell is happening right now?

 

“Um,” Seul Gi voices out again.

 

“I’m Joo Hyun,” the other girl says with an attractive smile. “But everybody calls me Irene. You can call me whatever.”

 

“I-I’m,” Seul Gi clears , “Seul Gi. Just Seul Gi.”

 

Joo Hyun beams another smile at her. Seul Gi felt her heart beating fast. She wasn’t quite sure whether it was due to this beautiful lady constantly charming her from the get-go or from the anxiety.

 

“I noticed you took a photo of me,” Joo Hyun jumps to the point.

 

“About that!” Rationality starts to kick in for Seul Gi. “I didn’t mean to— I mean I did, but it’s not like I’m going to keep it if you’re not giving your consent— I mean, I’d love to keep it, but if you’re really against it, I’ll—”

 

Joo Hyun laughs at Seul Gi’s explanation. Seul Gi could feel her cheeks heating up. Joo Hyun’s laughter ended with a gentle look at her.

 

“It’s fine, really,” Joo Hyun beams in a refined manner, “I’m used to having my pictures taken. That’s how I noticed you too.”

 

Seul Gi wasn’t a hundred percent sure but she felt somewhat played at that sentence. She takes a short gulp and quickly takes a sip from her drink. Joo Hyun lets out a giggle.

 

“You’re really interesting, Seul Gi-sshi.”

 

In Seul Gi’s eyes, Joo Hyun looked like she was having fun with what was happening. She didn’t really get it, but she felt kind of satisfied with herself. Seul Gi takes another sip of her drink when she notices Joo Hyun’s eyes—her gaze wasn’t leaving Seul Gi’s.

 

“Hey,” Joo Hyun starts again, “I bet you’re a really good photographer. I can tell. I’ve had shoots before and when I saw your stance, I could feel like I was in a studio.”

 

Seul Gi couldn’t help but quickly cover her face at the embarrassment. She was used to compliments and praises, but for someone she met for the first time, a real beauty at that, it was really something else. Joo Hyun has done nothing but made her beet red today.

“T-Thanks I guess,” Seul Gi finally takes the courage to converse, “How about you, Irene-sshi? You said you’ve been to shoots and studios before. Are you a model?”

 

Would calling her Joo Hyun be too overly familiar? she thought.

 

Joo Hyun’s smile was wider than before. Seul Gi taking a little bit of initiative seems to have upped her mood. “You could say that. I’m a start up in that aspect, though.”

 

“Really?” Seul Gi says in genuine surprise. “But you look really perfect—”

 

Seul Gi catches herself mid-sentence and closes shut. Did I really say something that embarrassing?

 

Joo Hyun laughs at Seul Gi’s words again. “You’re really interesting! Do I really look that beautiful?”

 

“You do!”

 

Joo Hyun, who seemed to be dominating the conversation, blushes for the first time. She saw how honest and genuine Seul Gi’s response was and she can’t help but to feel a bit childish at her own behavior. She was having her fun teasing the girl, but it looks like it’s backfired on her.

 

“Y-You don’t have to be serious about it though,” Joo Hyun mumbles just loud enough for Seul Gi to hear. Seul Gi turns extra red but releases a short laugh. “I’ve been told that I’m honest to a fault.”

 

Joo Hyun whose eyes were looking away due to the embarrassment now steals glances at the other girl. Did she act on impulse when she grabbed her hand? What did she intend to do after getting Seul Gi to grab a drink forcibly? She felt really out of character, doing those things. It’s not like she grabs a random stranger everyday for a chat and coffee.

 

“Hey,” Joo Hyun says, getting back to her dominating character. “I think I wanna work with you.”

 

“How?” Seul Gi asks, surprised.

 

“You’re a photographer, right? And I’m, like I said, a sort of start up model.”

 

Seul Gi nods, prodding her to continue.

 

“So like, I actually wanted to work on poses and stuff… With how I instinctively felt your camera earlier, I think I can do well.”

 

Seul Gi’s eyes grew from her words. Was this a godsend? Just an hour ago, Seul Gi felt like nothing was going her way—or what she aspired it to be. Her desperation led her to think about photography, but now it looks like she was being directed elsewhere. She wasn’t entirely sure, but was the universe hearing her out or something?

 

Not that she wasn’t sure of her skills and capabilities, but she wanted to be sure. Seul Gi clears and asks, “Are you sure you’re okay with me? I mean, yeah, I’m actually interning as one of Seoul’s biggest studios right now, but…” Would she really pass up a chance even though a buffet is being offered in front of her? “Do you really want me to be your practice partner?”

 

Did that sound possessive? At least I didn’t say personal photographer. Seul Gi, you sound like a big flirt!

 

Joo Hyun’s eyes seemed playful as she reaches out her hand to gently place them on Seul Gi’s that wasn’t holding the coffee cup. “I do.”

 

Seul Gi quickly looks away from the stimulating image in front of her. She makes sure not to move too much as her hand was still being held by Joo Hyun. Not that she meant to, but Seul Gi took that moment in her mind and seared it eternally. She takes a glance back at Joo Hyun who was still giving her that laviscious look.

 

Joo Hyun slowly removes her hand as she gently cups her own face to congratulate their silent agreement. “I’m looking forward to working with you from now own, Seul Gi.”

 

Seul Gi savors Joo Hyun’s words and smiles to herself. She does a soft mental of her own lips.

 

Looking forward to working with you too, my muse.